Shooting at SC Church During Bible Study - Suspect still at large

THall

Then you're wrong. The Southern states, by their own public declarations, left the Union over slavery.

You have to be some kind of uneducated twit.
I hope you did not have to pay money for what
they told you was supposed to be an education.

If you believe the Civil war was started over slavery,
then you are your own special kind of ignorant.

Before you go and blather on and on about nothing,
understand that many many legitimate institutions of
higher learning, including but not limited to the U.S.
Naval War College, and the U.S. Army War College,
do NOT agree with your lie.

Granite

Hall of Fame

And what gives you this idea?:yawn:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, we can't all be the product of your obvious education...not if we mean to remain rational or upright at any rate.

Actually I had more than an academic interest, being the descendant of some of the men who had their bloody hands in that war. We have our family histories and stories and those led me into a more particular education long before I took it up in a formal sense.

Yes, the sort that reads and reading understands.

But always a pleasure to see you on the wrong side of history.

IMJerusha

Can you ever wield anything but ugliness? You should be able to state your conviction without demeaning and belittling. If you truly respected the institutions you've named, you'd act with the integrity they embody.

IMJerusha

Then you're wrong. The Southern states, by their own public declarations, left the Union over slavery.

No, that was the mechanism, as expressed in the legal right to withdraw from the Union, by which those protecting the long term slave interest attempted to forge a new association. The reason they did so was slavery.

So the South "Died of a Theory," eh? You really need to put yourself on the more to the left side of politics.

Just contrary to the facts. Lincoln, as many in the South noted, had a public opinion that the Union would survive and slavery wouldn't.

And he was wrong because the black community holds themselves in slavery now. A perfect example of this would be the Arthur Ashe monument on Monument Avenue in Richmond. His wife didn't want him on the same street with monuments to the Confederacy but rather wanted him placed in front of the new African American Sports Hall of Fame. Why would she want to do that to him when the thing he strove so hard to achieve would be better served on Monument Avenue?

He was simply willing to accommodate a political necessity in the moment with an eye to holding the practice in check until it could die by a less violent means.

Do you think the photos of Bloody Angle, Peach Orchard, Devil's Den at Gettysburg or Vicksburg, depict holding anything in check? How about Sherman's march into Atlanta. What was being held in check there? I don't see all that have died in the cause of Civil Rights as a less violent means, Town. Just exactly how can you?

The amendment that ended slavery was unnecessary if all he wanted was to preserve the Union and was ultimately indifferent to the institution.

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause." -- Abraham Lincoln

No, you didn't. I didn't say there was no monument, IMJ. Read it again. I was trying to make a point of consideration that you decided to make a literal point for a win that wasn't.

I'm reminded of something here, oh yes, this:

Side Step

Of course they were. There was a war, you know. The guy on the other side of the war is your foe.

So, when it suits, use it! Of course!

I actually agree with that. Many who are glad the South lost the war will be among those to say that secession was likely legal.

Do you question the legality of the Sovereignty of the States?
"Secession belongs to a different class of remedies. It is to be justified upon the basis that the States are Sovereign. There was a time when none denied it. I hope the time may come again, when a better comprehension of the theory of our Government, and the inalienable rights of the people of the States, will prevent any one from denying that each State is a Sovereign, and thus may reclaim the grants which it has made to any agent whomsoever." Jefferson Davis

Yeah, secession pretty much went off the table with that war. As did slavery, thankfully.

The Framers of our Government held with a state's right to secede in the protection of individual rights. That's what the 9th and 10th amendments are about. Lincoln flat ignored that and then had the audacity to declare at his Gettysburg address a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Cute and very hypocritical.

The Civil War preserved the Union and ended slavery. So it was a pretty good day, all things considered. Sadly, it took another hundred years or so to seriously address full equality, a thing fought by most of the South, the South that trotted the old Confederate flag out to defy it.

I'm not so sure that the black community is interested in full equality in America.

No one should deface a grave,...

Hide and watch, it's coming, or at least it's currently being proposed. Our nation is heading toward a dangerous place and Democrats are taking it there at the expense of freedom and the taxpayer. Next thing you know, the Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy will be considered illegal and then people will be prohibited from even learning or speaking about the Civil War or ancestors who fought in it. Heaven only knows what will happen to dedicated Confederate cemeteries!

... but if they drop every Confederate monument into the sea I'll only feel sorry for the sea.

Not exactly the statement of a child of the South any more than Jenny Horne's. The Confederate Flag was never a symbol of hate but rather of the right of a people to govern themselves; a right granted states and individuals within those states by the Constitution.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So the South "Died of a Theory," eh?
No, the South died to preserve an evil. It used the notion of legal separation from the Union to attempt it without bloodshed.

You really need to put yourself on the more to the left side of politics.
You really need to worry more about yourself given what follows. My politics only look leftist to someone to the right of Birch.

And he was wrong because the black community holds themselves in slavery now.
No and you might want to check yourself on why you feel comfortable with that sort of stereotype while defending the Confederate flag.

Do you think the photos of Bloody Angle, Peach Orchard, Devil's Den at Gettysburg or Vicksburg, depict holding anything in check?
I said Lincoln was willing to allow slavery to die a less violent death by attempting to accommodate its practice, reserved to those areas where it existed and forbidding its expansion. The South understood that. It understood that Lincoln's attempt to quarantine slavery would end with its extinction. The only chance it had was the one it took.

As you note, his first concern was preserving the Union, just as the South's first concern was preserving slavery.

Nice dodge of the point you can't answer: Lincoln didn't need to end slavery by amendment. But he put his full weight into doing that. Because he always wanted it ended, as the South knew. When he had the ability he used it.

Do you question the legality of the Sovereignty of the States?
I question the point of going down that rabbit hole when it isn't the point of my objection where the Confederate flag is concerned.

The Framers of our Government held with a state's right to secede
I'm pretty sure I only just finished writing that I agreed they had the legal right. But I'm glad that the Union was preserved and that right ended, effectively. It was a horrible idea and the war illustrated why.

Cute and very hypocritical.
There's nothing hypocritical about it. Are you in favor of everything that's legal today? Does it make you a hypocrite to say abortion is legal but oppose it and to be glad if it ends tomorrow, however it ends.

I'm not so sure that the black community is interested in full equality in America.
:plain: No idea what you mean by that and I'm not sure it's in your best interest to tell me.

Not exactly the statement of a son of the South any more than Jenny Horne's.
My lineage, heritage and affection regarding the South aren't in question by anyone with a rational bone in their body.

The Confederate Flag was never a symbol of hate
Not if you were on the white side of the color bar. Else, you're delusional.

Last edited:

fzappa13

Which two? Knock off how? The Pope got a gift. It was in the form of a similar and smaller version held by a Catholic clergyman who was killed by the military of Bolivia once upon a time. I'm betting it isn't on display in the Vatican.

Yes but you thought it inappropriate so ... shouldn't we do away with it? The offending symbol, that is.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes but you thought it inappropriate so ... shouldn't we do away with it? The offending symbol, that is.
With a reach like that you should have been a power forward. I said the two symbols struck me as incompatible.

Now, Mr. Verne, I tell you what, when someone tries to run the sickle up the flagpole in Texas you let me know and I'll write the op-ed piece denouncing it and what it stands for.

fzappa13

With a reach like that you should have been a power forward. I said the two symbols struck me as incompatible.

Now, Mr. Verne, I tell you what, when someone tries to run the sickle up the flagpole in Texas you let me know and I'll write the op-ed piece denouncing it and what it stands for.

Symbols are symbols. If you disallow the ones you don't like prepare for your ox to be gored as well.

... and I think Texas can take care of itself. In fact, there's been talk of secession for some time. You know how us bigots are.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Symbols are symbols. If you disallow the ones you don't like prepare for your ox to be gored as well.

... and I think Texas can take care of itself. In fact, there's been talk of secession for some time. You know how us bigots are.

Yeah, all talk, no action.

fzappa13

TH ... in all honesty, you've sidestepped most every salient point offered you in this thread to nip at the heels of the weak and aged lingering at the back of the rhetorical pack (and by that I mean offerings, not people). That is not normally your M.O.

Makes me think there is something at play here that doesn't meet the eye that goes beyond the garden variety self loathing accepted by those foolish enough to buy what our would be culture meisters are currently dispensing.

For someone of your intelligence and education to deny and/or ignore vast swathes of history in order to justify this most recent redefinition and following vilification of a symbol is a little out of character.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
TH ... in all honesty, you've sidestepped most every salient point offered you in this thread
I can't imagine that's the case. List them if you believe that and I'll consider or point you to a different understanding.

For someone of your intelligence and education to deny and/or ignore vast swathes of history in order to justify this most recent redefinition and following vilification of a symbol is a little out of character.
I'm speaking to the root of the war and the reasons why the Southern symbol of that has no place over the seat of any government. I'm not sure what else there is on the issue of the Confederate battle flag that is of particular moment.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well, then we wouldn't have had a civil war, right? I mean, that's what it was all about, right?

I was referring to the armchair Rambos with big mouths and guns who think "liberty" means intimidating people by strutting their firearms in public. Or who think the rebel flag is a worthy symbol. And so forth.

fzappa13

I was referring to the armchair Rambos with big mouths and guns who think "liberty" means intimidating people by strutting their firearms in public. Or who think the rebel flag is a worthy symbol. And so forth.

Oh, I thought you meant the cowards that like to pop off on the computer from the safety of their living room.