Saved are you?

Saved are you?

• Yes. They must cease from sin.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • No. They can continue to sin.

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Oops, I just realized that I wasn't saved!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

elohiym

Shimei said:
Christians still sin, but Christians are not under the law. Christians are no longer sinners, but saints. Even though Christians still sin, they do not lose their salvation.
I'd like to look at the verses you chose, and set your statement aside for a moment.

Romans 6
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

If you are servant of something, it has dominion over you. Jesus stated that whoever sins (whoever) is a servant of sin. He gave no exceptions...

John 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

So the only way that sin could not have dominion over you is if you stopped sinning.

22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

We have been set free from sin, which is what Jesus was talking about...

33 They answered him, We be Abraham’s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

We have becomes slaves to God, and a slave to God (saved) cannot continue to murder, steal, and fornicate.

Shimei said:
Should we continue to sin because we can?
We can't continue to sin. These last verses prove that.

Romans 6
15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not! 16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?

If we sin, then we are slaves to sin. What Paul is saying cannot be interpretated any other way, in my opinion.

Now, you said "even though Christians still sin, they do not lose their salvation." But we can see from the verses you offered that of a person sins they are a slave to sin, and Christians are slaves to righteousness.

keypurr

If we are true Christians and our faith is strong, we do not sin. For we cannot serve two masters. Our flesh wars against our spirit and may cause problems for the mind. But we are not under the law, which transgression of is sin. If the spirit of God is within us, how can we sin? if however we lose faith and turn against him, we will lose our salvation.

dRock

Another question...is it even possible for a human to live life without sin? And since the answer is no (because otherwise they would be a god), doesn't that mean that everyone dies without being saved?

Jabez

Friend of Jesus
keypurr said:
If we are true Christians and our faith is strong, we do not sin. For we cannot serve two masters. Our flesh wars against our spirit and may cause problems for the mind. But we are not under the law, which transgression of is sin. If the spirit of God is within us, how can we sin? if however we lose faith and turn against him, we will lose our salvation.

Even though you are saved, sin can still happen.

elohiym

dRock said:
I'm not saying that they stopped sinning...

...I was saying that if when we get saved we quit sinning (because we are saved)...
Wait a minute. How do we quit sinning? Are you saying it is possible to stop sinning?

keypurr

dRock said:
Another question...is it even possible for a human to live life without sin? And since the answer is no (because otherwise they would be a god), doesn't that mean that everyone dies without being saved?
With Christ, all things are possiable

dRock

elohiym said:
Wait a minute. How do we quit sinning? Are you saying it is possible to stop sinning?
Why don't you finish reading my whole post?

I was referencing to the fact that that was what you guys where saying and how that it would lead us to not needing the graces of God.

elohiym

Jabez said:
How do you know it happens? What is your measure?

If you say anything other than the law, it would surprise me. Then find me the verse that states cursing when you smash your finger is a sin in the law.

dRock

Well guys, just as this started to get to be a good, wholesome debate, I have to leave. I will update myself on all of your posts and return tomorrow night. Until then, later!

dRock

elohiym

Jabez said:
We dont in these bodies.
If a person does not have to stop sinning to be saved, then what the heck does repent mean?

So child raping Catholic priests don't have to stop raping, and they can be saved? :shocked:

Could you give me a list of the sins one can commit and still be saved, as opposed to the ones thay can't commit and be saved?

keypurr

Jabez said:
I used to think that also, but not any more. To be truly saved you must have faith in Christ. To receive his grace you must believe in him who God sent. You cannot have Christ and Satan in the temple of your body. A Christian does not have room for evil. It cannot co-exsist with Christ. Notice that the Law speaks of love for God and people.The fruit of the spirit within you is love if it is God's spirit. The law was given to teach us what God expects for us. But it is by grace we are saved, not the works of the law. Therefor, sin does not exsist for true believers. However that does not make void the law. it is kept out of love for him who gave it. That make it the perfect law when it kept out of love. So if we are not under the law, how can we sin? Sin is transgression of the law. Keep in mind though that he is coming back for thoes who keep the commandments of God and the Faith of Jesus Christ.

elohiym

dRock said:
Well guys, just as this started to get to be a good, wholesome debate, I have to leave. I will update myself on all of your posts and return tomorrow night. Until then, later!

dRock
Thanks for your input!

koban

elohiym said:
How do you know it happens? What is your measure?

If you say anything other than the law, it would surprise me. Then find me the verse that states cursing when you smash your finger is a sin in the law.

Ex 20: 7Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

dRock

koban said:
Ex 20: 7Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
But what does that even mean? I have heard that it means to not call God any other name than YHWH, or even the gentiles weren't supposed to call Him anything (that's where they got Adonai from). I don't know :think: ... Well now, straggled around too much. Off to bed.

dRock

Word to the wise:

Good points form both sides; however, I still believe that Christians can sin and still be saved. That is why God grants us forgiveness.