Sabbath

keypurr

I said
Your an idiot. Read the Word, the disciples broke the Sabbath and were blameless.

Luke 6:1-5
1Now it happened on the second Sabbath after the first that He went through the grainfields. And His disciples plucked the heads of grain and ate them, rubbing them in their hands.
2And some of the Pharisees said to them, "Why are you doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath?"
3But Jesus answering them said, "Have you not even read this, what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him:
4"how he went into the house of God, took and ate the showbread, and also gave some to those with him, which is not lawful for any but the priests to eat?"
5And He said to them, "The Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath."
(NKJ)

Go spread your heresy some where else.
Nope they did not break the Sabbath, neither did Jesus.

He taught them how to observe it. He came to give them a better understanding of the law.

Sent from my A622GL using TheologyOnline mobile app

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Nope they did not break the Sabbath, neither did Jesus.

He taught them how to observe it. He came to give them a better understanding of the law.

Sent from my A622GL using TheologyOnline mobile app

I said

1Now it happened on the second Sabbath after the first that He went through the grainfields. And His disciples plucked the heads of grain and ate them, rubbing them in their hands.
2And some of the Pharisees said to them, "Why are you doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath?"
3But Jesus answering them said, "Have you not even read this, what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him:
4"how he went into the house of God, took and ate the showbread, and also gave some to those with him, which is not lawful for any but the priests to eat?"
(NKJ)

clefty

I said
Your an idiot. Read the Word, the disciples broke the Sabbath and were blameless.

1 Now it happened on the second Sabbath after the first that He went through the grainfields. And His disciples plucked the heads of grain and ate them, rubbing them in their hands.
2 And some of the Pharisees said to them, "Why are you doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath?"
3 But Jesus answering them said, "Have you not even read this, what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him:
4 "how he went into the house of God, took and ate the showbread, and also gave some to those with him, which is not lawful for any but the priests to eat?"
5 And He said to them, "The Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath."
(NKJ)

Go spread your heresy some where else.

I hope others note the irony of your siding with the Pharisees on this account.

You even make Him a liar or hypocrite as He defended the disciples as not breaking it and defined what the Sabbath was...

What His disciples were breaking were the traditions of man which were made for the Sabbath...and well you have your own now...good to see Pharisees are still around...

Good job being one and making Him a liar...

You do know what He called Pharisees yes?

Time and time again He provoked the Pharisees and rubbed it in their faces like the spit and dust He made for the blind man to see...He was hoping to make all of us see what the true spirit of the Sabbath was...healing and good works...

Not once and not a peep did He mention the end of the Sabbath keeping or its change or its becoming unholy...

keypurr

I said

(NKJ)
Do you agree with what Christ told the Jews or the Jews.

The Jews had it all wrong my friend, Jesus corrected them. If you disagree with him I suggest you discuss it with him. I choose to follow my Lord and worship his God as he did.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using TheologyOnline mobile app

clefty

I think the commandment itself (Exodus 20, Deut. 5) is of sufficient moral weight. Our Lord summarizes, does not abrogate, the two tables of the law, duty to God and duty to others, in His two great commandment summaries (Love God, Love Your Neighbor). In the fourth commandment, we are commanded to remember the Sabbath to keep it holy.

Sanctifying the Sabbath (which exact day is communicated positively by God himself) means setting the Sabbath apart from the others. Whatever else it may be, it is different; it is specially appropriate for worship, and it appears that God has ordained it consistently to that end. Is. 58:13-14, found in the restorative prophecies which are culminated in the Messianic age, tells of the blessings of leaving off our purposes on the Sabbath to favor God's exclusively.

Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath (Luke 6:5), and John identifies a particular day as his Lord's Day, Rev. 1:10. This seems quite correlative, and seems consistent with God's desire to meet with His people on His schedule. It is God's full day, not what least little bit we can spare for Him out of our busy weekend and our priorities.

Our Lord (ignoring their made-up legalisms) refutes the Pharisees' errors as to what He could permit his disciples to do by an appeal to a similar allowance given to David (still Saul's servant) by the priest on a Sabbath. The principle is thusly: there is no proper honor given to a command of God, if its "letter" is used to prevent or constrain a nobler holy duty. There is no "what have you" casting aside of interest in a proper Sabbathing by Jesus clearing away of Pharisaic fences.

Hebrews 4, besides the reminder in Heb. 4:9 that the privilege of Sabbath-keeping remains with us, teaches its doctrine out of Psalm 95, a song for and descriptive of public worship. Compare to Psalm 92, "A Song for the Sabbath day."

I would at least be more pleased if Christian people would acknowledge the justice of the Fourth commandment. In my experience, it is rare to see much concern for it outside congregations with a serious commitment to their Christian heritage. I don't see much half-hearted commitment; I see none at all. For most folks today church-going is but a mere habit, and one they could keep up, improve, or drop, depending on their mood.

If people would once more admit the moral duty, they could thence be called to a more diligent and deliberate devotion in it.

Yes thanks for noting not only was the Sabbath changed from Saturday to Sunday but from all day observance to a few hours and back to football chores or whatever...

Minimizing the blessing of that sacred day...

The fact that Jews don't want goys to observe Sabbath is also telling...

http://judaism.stackexchange.com/qu...ble-practice-for-a-gentile-to-keep-the-sabbat

Satan and his sons have been busy...

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Do you agree with what Christ told the Jews or the Jews.

The Jews had it all wrong my friend, Jesus corrected them. If you disagree with him I suggest you discuss it with him. I choose to follow my Lord and worship his God as he did.

I said
I agree with everything Jesus said. The whole new testament. Even about my choice on the Sabbath.
I was called while uncircumcised I didn't belong to a church. And I didn't keep the Sabbath.

1 Cor 7:18-20
18 Was anyone called while circumcised? Let him not become uncircumcised. Was anyone called while uncircumcised? Let him not be circumcised.
19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.
20 Let each one remain in the same calling in which he was called.
(NKJ)

keypurr

I said
I agree with everything Jesus said. The whole new testament. Even about my choice on the Sabbath.
I was called while uncircumcised I didn't belong to a church. And I didn't keep the Sabbath.

18Was anyone called while circumcised? Let him not become uncircumcised. Was anyone called while uncircumcised? Let him not be circumcised.
19Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.
20Let each one remain in the same calling in which he was called.
(NKJ)
So the Lord of the Sabbath did not break the Sabbath, neither did his Apostles. That is my point my valued friend.

clefty

I said

18 Was anyone called while circumcised? Let him not become uncircumcised. Was anyone called while uncircumcised? Let him not be circumcised.
19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.
20 Let each one remain in the same calling in which he was called.
(NKJ)

I bolded what matters...I would have bolded "don't worry about Sabbath" but I didn't read it there or in any other text...

Nothing about Sabbath there but keeping the commandments of God...notice not commandments of Jesus, but God...

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
So the Lord of the Sabbath did not break the Sabbath, neither did his Apostles. That is my point my valued friend.

I said
And my point was that the Pharisees said His disciples did. The Pharisees are the ones who put the Sabbath day on a pedestal. But Jesus called some while in the church like Peter. And God called some outside the church like Paul. When ever one is called they should remain in the same place they were called.

keypurr

I said
And my point was that the Pharisees said His disciples did. The Pharisees are the ones who put the Sabbath day on a pedestal. But Jesus called some while in the church like Peter. And God called some outside the church like Paul. When ever one is called they should remain in the same place they were called.
God put the Sabbath on a pedestal, the Jews did not follow it in the spirit. Christ came to magnify the law for our understanding.

keypurr

I said
I don't care what day it is. It is a one day a week worship. I worship 7 days a week. And with all the arguments about it being on Sunday or Saturday who can really know.
The Jews have kept the seventh day for centuries before Christ came to dwell in a man. Sundown Friday to sundown Saturday is the Sabbath of our God, not any day or Sunday as the church tried to change it to Sunday, the day of the sun god. We must choose who we wish to serve friend, I choose Christ and his God.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
The Jews have kept the seventh day for centuries before Christ came to dwell in a man. Sundown Friday to sundown Saturday is the Sabbath of our God, not any day or Sunday as the church tried to change it to Sunday, the day of the sun god. We must choose who we wish to serve friend, I choose Christ and his God.

I said
I serve the very same God friend. Outside of mans church.

clefty

I said

Excuse the interruption... but Paul kept Sabbath...and other festival days

And wrote they all remain...now keep the festival with the new unleavened bread of sincerity and truth

keypurr

Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
Heb 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

clefty

I said
I don't care what day it is. It is a one day a week worship. I worship 7 days a week. And with all the arguments about it being on Sunday or Saturday who can really know.

Who can really know?

You gotta read buddy...study...research...pray

James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of our Fathers, 88th ed., pp. 89.

"But you may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify."

Stephen Keenan, A Doctrinal Catechism 3rd ed., p. 174.

"Question: Have you any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept?

"Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her-she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday, the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday, the seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority."

John Laux, A Course in Religion for Catholic High Schools and Academies (1 936), vol. 1, P. 51.

"Some theologians have held that God likewise directly determined the Sunday as the day of worship in the New Law, that He Himself has explicitly substituted the Sunday for the Sabbath. But this theory is now entirely abandoned. It is now commonly held that God simply gave His Church the power to set aside whatever day or days she would deem suitable as Holy Days. The Church chose Sunday, the first day of the week, and in the course of time added other days as holy days."

Daniel Ferres, ed., Manual of Christian Doctrine (1916), p.67.

"Question: How prove you that the Church hath power to command feasts and holy days?

"Answer. By the very act of changing the Sabbath into Sunday, which Protestants allow of, and therefore they fondly contradict themselves, by keeping Sunday strictly, and breaking most other feasts commanded by the same Church.'

James Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore (1877-1921), in a signed letter.

"Is Saturday the seventh day according to the Bible and the Ten Commandments? I answer yes. Is Sunday the first day of the week and did the Church change the seventh day -Saturday - for Sunday, the first day? I answer yes . Did Christ change the day'? I answer no!

"Faithfully yours, J. Card. Gibbons"

The Catholic Mirror, official publication of James Cardinal Gibbons, Sept. 23, 1893.

"The Catholic Church, . . . by virtue of her divine mission, changed the day from Saturday to Sunday."

Catholic Virginian Oct. 3, 1947, p. 9, art. "To Tell You the Truth."

"For example, nowhere in the Bible do we find that Christ or the Apostles ordered that the Sabbath be changed from Saturday to Sunday. We have the commandment of God given to Moses to keep holy the Sabbath day, that is the 7th day of the week, Saturday. Today most Christians keep Sunday because it has been revealed to us by the[Roman Catholic] church outside the Bible."

Peter Geiermann, C.S.S.R., The Converts Catechism of Catholic Doctrine (1957), p. 50.

"Question: Which is the Sabbath day?

"Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day.

"Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?

"Answer. We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday."

Martin J. Scott, Things Catholics Are Asked About (1927),p. 136.

"Nowhere in the Bible is it stated that worship should be changed from Saturday to Sunday .... Now the Church ... instituted, by God's authority, Sunday as the day of worship. This same Church, by the same divine authority, taught the doctrine of Purgatory long before the Bible was made. We have, therefore, the same authority for Purgatory as we have for Sunday."

Peter R. Kraemer, Catholic Church Extension Society (1975),Chicago, Illinois.

"Regarding the change from the observance of the Jewish Sabbath to the Christian Sunday, I wish to draw your attention to the facts:

"1) That Protestants, who accept the Bible as the only rule of faith and religion, should by all means go back to the observance of the Sabbath. The fact that they do not, but on the contrary observe the Sunday, stultifies them in the eyes of every thinking man.

"2) We Catholics do not accept the Bible as the only rule of faith. Besides the Bible we have the living Church, the authority of the Church, as a rule to guide us. We say, this Church, instituted by Christ to teach and guide man through life, has the right to change the ceremonial laws of the Old Testament and hence, we accept her change of the Sabbath to Sunday. We frankly say, yes, the Church made this change, made this law, as she made many other laws, for instance, the Friday abstinence, the unmarried priesthood, the laws concerning mixed marriages, the regulation of Catholic marriages and a thousand other laws.

"It is always somewhat laughable, to see the Protestant churches, in pulpit and legislation, demand the observance of Sunday, of which there is nothing in their Bible."

T. Enright, C.S.S.R., in a lecture at Hartford, Kansas, Feb. 18,1884.

"I have repeatedly offered $1,000 to anyone who can prove to me from the Bible alone that I am bound to keep Sunday holy. There is no such law in the Bible. It is a law of the holy Catholic Church alone. The Bible says, 'Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.' The Catholic Church says: 'No. By my divine power I abolish the Sabbath day and command you to keep holy the first day of the week.' And lo! The entire civilized world bows down in a reverent obedience to the command of the holy Catholic Church."

http://www.biblesabbath.org/confessions.html

There is a lot more out here...

clefty

Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
Heb 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Not just rest...but a Sabbath keeping

The Greek word translated “rest” in every other verse throughout Hebrews 3 and 4 is katapausis. But the word translated “rest” in Hebrews 4:9 is sabbatismos. This is the only New Testament occurrence of this word, and its meaning is fundamental to understanding this pivotal verse, which is the conclusion of everything previously said about “rest” beginning in Hebrews 3:7.

https://www.ucg.org/bible-study-too...ath-rest/there-remains-a-sabbath-rest-for-the