Racism in America

MarcATL

Yes. He did more than overcome it. He confessed to having been a racist, denounced racism, and spent the rest of his life trying to put an end to it. And he gave his life fighting it.

He told an interviewer some time before his death that he knew he was marked for assassination. Yet he continued to preach against the Nation of Islam and its racism.

I guess it's proper for me to acknowledge that after his death, and the death of the founder, the Nation of Islam moved away from racism as well. Perhaps Malcom X had something to do with that. He certainly pointed the way.
Indeed. So then, why do a majority of whites have such a visceral, negative, and/or false reaction to Malcolm X and call him racist then? Any ideas?

MarcATL

It's too complicated an issue to just give a yes or no answer.

But I would say that ending slavery was without a doubt the right thing to do... its just the way that we ended it pretty much fueled racism for decades to come.

Only 1.3% of whites in the south actually owned slaves at the time of the Civil War.... 98.7% of white southerners were drawn into the war to defend themselves due to a war that the rich southern elite started... as a result most of them lost family members. Their deaths guaranteed that the southerners will hate whatever it deems to be the cause of the war. Be it the north or the former slaves.

In my opinion, the issue of slavery should have been dealt with within the framework of the constitution and things would have gone much smoother.
It's actually not complicated at all. What, pray tell, are some of these complications you're referring to?

Incidentally, are you and/or your people from the South?

bybee

Indeed. So then, why do a majority of whites have such a visceral, negative, and/or false reaction to Malcolm X and call him racist then? Any ideas?

How do you know that a majority of "whites" have that reaction?
I would not agree with your assessment based on the people with whom I interact.

bybee

So therfore, righteous anger is not only understandable, but to be expected from these victims, yes?

Righteous anger becomes unrighteous hate crime when innocent people are targeted for rape, arson, brutal beatings and slaughter.

Righteous anger stands up to be counted in the solution to a problem. Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr. has been betrayed.
One of my heroes is Nelson Mandela. He evolved to sainthood in my estimation.

HisServant

It's actually not complicated at all. What, pray tell, are some of these complications you're referring to?

Incidentally, are you and/or your people from the South?

Nope... From PA just outside Philly.

And yes it is complicated.

1.) There was a tremendous amount of fear within the white community that the freed slaves would want revenge (and rightfully so).. the North did nothing to dissuade that.

2.) Three million uneducated abused former slaves were dumped on the job market and instantly became a threat to what was exclusively white jobs.

3.) Many white families lost relatives and direct family members in the war and to just expect them to forget about it and not seek revenge against the former slaves is being naive.

IMNSHO, the federal government should have ponied up the money and purchased slaves and educated them prior to releasing them into the economy (basic reading/writing/math would have been sufficient). It would have eased the fears and the south would not have had their property confiscated without compensation (I know its sounds barbaric, but yes the slaves were considered property).

If we had done the above, I believe Jim Crow, the KKK and other white supremacist groups would have not become as large and as entrenched as it was.

Lincoln was pretty cheap when it came to the former slaves, as he had plans to deport them all to some British Colonies because he thought that the former slaves would never live peacefully with the whites.

Anyhow, the cause was noble, the method detestable.

FYI, my mothers family is predominately of Quaker and Irish Protestant origin... both sides detested slavery and my 3'rd great grandfather fought in the PA cavalry and was wounded, his brother was killed though.

My fathers family roots are 8 generations deep in Virginia/North Carolina... they stole food in London and were sentenced to transportation to the colonies and worked as indentured servants (basically slaves) till their sentences were over. They were always poor mountain men... half the family down there fought for the South and the other half supported the North and were viewed as scalawags and were forced to move north after the war and lost everything in the process.

MarcATL

Righteous anger becomes unrighteous hate crime when innocent people are targeted for rape, arson, brutal beatings and slaughter.

Righteous anger stands up to be counted in the solution to a problem. Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr. has been betrayed.
One of my heroes is Nelson Mandela. He evolved to sainthood in my estimation.
Answer the question please. Thanks.

MarcATL

How do you know that a majority of "whites" have that reaction?
I would not agree with your assessment based on the people with whom I interact.
I don't believe you, sorry. Run a poll right here and now on this site and you'll see that most, if not all, whites view Malcolm X as a rabid racist hate monger.

If you were honest you'd have already observed such sentiments in this very thread.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
I don't believe you, sorry. Run a poll right here and now on this site and you'll see that most, if not all, whites view Malcolm X as a rabid racist hate monger.

In his autobiography, Malcolm X wrote proudly of some of the social achievements the Nation made while he was a member, particularly its free-of-cost drug rehabilitation program. In keeping with the Nation's teachings, he promoted black supremacy, advocated the separation of black and white Americans, and rejected the civil rights movement for their emphasis on integration.

gee, i wonder why they might think he was racist

MarcATL

Nope... From PA just outside Philly.

1.) There was a tremendous amount of fear within the white community that the freed slaves would want revenge (and rightfully so).. the North did nothing to dissuade that.

2.) Three million uneducated abused former slaves were dumped on the job market and instantly became a threat to what was exclusively white jobs.

3.) Many white families lost relatives and direct family members in the war and to just expect them to forget about it and not seek revenge against the former slaves is being naive.

IMNSHO, the federal government should have ponied up the money and purchased slaves and educated them prior to releasing them into the economy (basic reading/writing/math would have been sufficient). It would have eased the fears and the south would not have had their property confiscated without compensation (I know its sounds barbaric, but yes the slaves were considered property).

If we had done the above, I believe Jim Crow, the KKK and other white supremacist groups would have not become as large and as entrenched as it was.

Lincoln was pretty cheap when it came to the former slaves, as he had plans to deport them all to some British Colonies because he thought that the former slaves would never live peacefully with the whites.

Anyhow, the cause was noble, the method detestable.

FYI, my mothers family is predominately of Quaker and Irish Protestant origin... both sides detested slavery and my 3'rd great grandfather fought in the PA cavalry and was wounded, his brother was killed though.

My fathers family roots are 8 generations deep in Virginia/North Carolina... they stole food in London and were sentenced to transportation to the colonies and worked as indentured servants (basically slaves) till their sentences were over. They were always poor mountain men... half the family down there fought for the South and the other half supported the North and were viewed as scalawags and were forced to move north after the war and lost everything in the process.
Interesting. I was actually referring to before abolition. The very fact that they enslaved, mistreated and abused blacks to such a degree....and it was not only considered normal, but legal to do so. These people didn't even view blacks as human beings, I mean 3/5ths of a person? Seriously?!?? Their level of dehumanizing justified their horrendous and atrocious treatment of blacks. It really speaks volumes.

Now, that fear of blacks that whites had, you spoke about. How much of it would you say has subsided over the years? All gone? A lot left? A little? What say you?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

2.) Three million uneducated abused former slaves were dumped on the job market and instantly became a threat to what was exclusively white jobs....

The American Civil War ended over 150 years ago HS, give it a rest, as you can see it just gives ammunition to race baiters like Marc.

MarcATL

The American Civil War ended over 150 years ago HS, give it a rest, as you can see it just gives ammunition to race baiters like Marc.
"Give it a rest" is what you need to communicate to those hillbillies who insist on waving that loser Confederate flag. I agree.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
thug-9.jpg

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Maybe because they have no clue about the man?

so wiki has it wrong?

he didn't really promote black supremacy, advocate the separation of black and white Americans, and reject the civil rights movement for their emphasis on integration?