Public Education is a Terrible Idea!

Greg Jennings

These people went to public schools. So are they imagining or remembering these places being worse than what they were? Are they just paranoid? Seriously, I don't get it.

What I've gathered from being here at TOL is that the ones complaining about this have this idea that there is a war on Christianity in America right now. Obviously that's ridiculous, but never underestimate the power of putting a chip on your shoulder, no matter whether that chip is deserved or not

Granite

Hall of Fame
What I've gathered from being here at TOL is that the ones complaining about this have this idea that there is a war on Christianity in America right now. Obviously that's ridiculous, but never underestimate the power of putting a chip on your shoulder, no matter whether that chip is deserved or not

I get that part. What I seriously don't understand is their portrayal of public schools. They're convinced that schools are equal parts abortion mill, brothel, meth lab, and Baal temple.

I mean, do they just think that schools have gotten worse since they left? Are they saying that schools were just this "wicked" when they attended?

Greg Jennings

I mean, do they just think that schools have gotten worse since they left?

You almost hit it on the head. In their minds, due to increasingly godless activity the country is going to hell, and that includes the public school system. They don't want their kids going someplace where they might.....gasp.....learn about other religions in addition to Christianity. And sometimes they are convinced that teachers are anti-God. It's a weird world they live in

Quincy

Thanks to public schools, America walked on the moon.

Yea but that money could have been put in large vaults for the Scrooges of the world to swim in!

I always hear some older people reminisce about their childhoods and how everything was like an episode of Andy Griffith but I can't help but imagine those people grew up with privileged lives in isolated communities. They sure didn't have the life either of my parents or grandparents had.

A group of young kids will always act like young kids. It seems that for some, the only answer is parenting through isolation. You've got to put your kids in big bubbles pumped full of oxygen and Big League Chew.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yea but that money could have been put in large vaults for the Scrooges of the world to swim in!

I always hear some older people reminisce about their childhoods and how everything was like an episode of Andy Griffith but I can't help but imagine those people grew up with privileged lives in isolated communities. They sure didn't have the life either of my parents or grandparents had.

A group of young kids will always act like young kids. It seems that for some, the only answer is parenting through isolation. You've got to put your kids in big bubbles pumped full of oxygen and Big League Chew.

Nostalgia ain't like it used to be.

Selaphiel

Public education that ensures that everyone has access to education is not only important, it is absolutely essential to a functioning democracy.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Public education that ensures that everyone has access to education is not only important, it is absolutely essential to a functioning democracy.

We've been suckered into thinking opponents of public education are fans of democracy.:chuckle:

genuineoriginal

You are right, and that is the reason that public education must be abolished.

We need private education, since that is absolutely essential to have a functioning Republican form of government as is mandated in the Constitution.

_____
Article IV
Section 4.

The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence.
_____​

Granite

Hall of Fame

We need private education, since that is absolutely essential to have a functioning Republican form of government as is mandated in the Constitution.

_____
Article IV
Section 4.

The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence.
_____​

Because as we know everyone out there can afford a private education.:yawn:

Selaphiel

_____
Article IV
Section 4.

_____​

Yes, because it is well known that before public education, everyone was ensured an education...Oh wait.

Public education was and remains an essential part of the emergence of the developed western world. It is by no means perfect, but it has been a vast improvement.

Homeschooling can work for those who have the time. Sadly it is often abused by parents who wish to teach their kids crackpot ideas like creationism. That is not education, that is an irresponsible dumbing down of the population. Such homeschooling is probably the reason why the US is embarrassingly low on people who understands and accepts the central paradigm of modern biology compared to other other developed countries.

GuySmiley

Remember how we fixed the health care crisis? You just make it mandatory for everyone to have health insurance, and fine them if they don't get it. Education could be just as big a success.

genuineoriginal

We can't afford a private education while the government is taxing our income to pay for public education and using public schools to break up extended families so we no longer have the relationships needed to pool our resources to pay for our relatives to get a good education.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Remember how we fixed the health care crisis? You just make it mandatory for everyone to have health insurance, and fine them if they don't get it. Education could be just as big a success.

:darwinsm:

:mock:bammycare

genuineoriginal

Yes, because it is well known that before public education, everyone was ensured an education...Oh wait.
Isn't it amazing how the founders of the United States were able to read and write so well without a public education system?

Public education was and remains an essential part of the emergence of the developed western world.
History shows that it was private education that was responsible for the emergence of the developed western world.

History also shows the decline of the western world after the imposition of public education.