Pope Francis extends Catholic priests' right to forgive abortion - $199.95

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
So your saying we don't need Jesus Christ we just need priests. So basically Jesus died for no reason is what your saying?........
Hey DIMWIT, and to all the other dimwits like Mr. Irreligion, I am not debating theology in this thread. I am responding to the CNN story! I am saying here that what CNN said about this being a new thing is wrong. There is nothing new about this. Canon law has always said that repentance and confession can lift the Latae sententiae Excommunication incurred by an abortion.

As to YOUR question, its another typical example of TOL ignorance. OF COURSE I am not saying that we don't need Jesus Christ. Why would you even say something so blatantly stupid. I doubt if you really want an answer, but if you do, READ THIS - LINK.

The Catholic Church tends to always already be doing a thing before the Pope makes that thing official. It's a historical tendency, actually :rolleyes:

That is because quite often a Council or a Pope must "clarify" or "define" something. In Acts, the Council of Jerusalem had to define what many followers already knew, that circumcision was not necessary for Christians. The Council of Trent "defined" the 72 books of the Bible, but those same books had been used since the time of Christ. The need for a definition only arose because the protestants had ripped out six books. The Council of Nicea defined the divinity of Christ, even though obviously Christ was divine before the council was held.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Catholic Crusader,

Serpent dove is a sarcastic anti Catholic————-not too bright but loaded with smart-alecky anti Catholic bigotry………he thinks he's an intellectual but appears by his posts he's a bit of a mental midget.

I thought SD was a woman :freak:
Sure acts like one.

ricardo574

Hey DIMWIT, and to all the other dimwits like Mr. Irreligion, I am not debating theology in this thread. I am responding to the CNN story! I am saying here that what CNN said about this being a new thing is wrong. There is nothing new about this. Canon law has always said that repentance and confession can lift the Latae sententiae Excommunication incurred by an abortion.

As to YOUR question, its another typical example of TOL ignorance. OF COURSE I am not saying that we don't need Jesus Christ. Why would you even say something so blatantly stupid. I doubt if you really want an answer, but if you do, READ THIS - LINK.

That is because quite often a Council or a Pope must "clarify" or "define" something. In Acts, the Council of Jerusalem had to define what many followers already knew, that circumcision was not necessary for Christians. The Council of Trent "defined" the 72 books of the Bible, but those same books had been used since the time of Christ. The need for a definition only arose because the protestants had ripped out six books. The Council of Nicea defined the divinity of Christ, even though obviously Christ was divine before the council was held.
Well you said the only thing to reverse this is to go to confession. And who do we confess to if we are not catholic? Do all Catholics have the same love that you show by calling people dimwit or is that what you learned from your religion? I just asked a simple question because of what you said. I'm not by my Bible to read those verses you posted. I don't just read a verse and take your word for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using TheologyOnline mobile app

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Well you said the only thing to reverse this is to go to confession........
.....yes, and you need to understand what the Sacrament of Reconciliation - i.e. Confession - really is. That's why I gave you the link. Ultimately it is forgiveness from God. Only God can forgive sins.

I am not going to debate theology anymore in the political forum. Read the link. Start a thread in the religion section. I will gladly debate it there.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
We are not discussing theology at theologyonilne.com? Aside from politics, movies, and football, we sure as hell are.

FOR GOD'S SAKE - This thread is about a CNN report. My point is that the CNN report is not accurate. This is the politics section McFly. If you want to debate the validity of the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) I will gladly do that in the religion section. What the hell is wrong with you.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Confusion Abounds Within Romanism

Confusion Abounds Within Romanism

Confusion abounds with Rome:

"Back in September, a “baker’s trio” (my adaptation of a “baker’s dozen”) of seemingly washed-up cardinals took advantage of a rarely used protocol of church discipline to ask “Pope Francis” to clarify the meaning of some of the footnotes found in the recent statement, “Amoris Laetitia” (“The Joy of Love”).

They did so by asking “Pope Francis” to clarify, by asking five “yes-or-no” questions. “Pope Francis” has not responded. "

The details:
http://triablogue.blogspot.com/2016/11/confusion-at-highest-levels-of-roman.html

AMR

Last edited:

Danoh

FOR GOD'S SAKE - This thread is about a CNN report. My point is that the CNN report is not accurate. This is the politics section McFly. If you want to debate the validity of the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) I will gladly do that in the religion section. What the hell is wrong with you.

Of course when you pull a Trump, and go there; it is somehow okay.

Yep - yours is BS - short for Battered Trump Supporter Syndrome :chuckle:

glassjester

That's a bald faced lie, brought to you by the same people who said Hillary would win. On this issue I am an expert: According to Canon Law 1398, procuring an abortion incurs a Latae sententiae Excommunication. But also according to Canon Law, the only thing necessary to reverse this is to go to Confession. In more detail, a declaration of repentance, followed by absolution given by a priest empowered to lift the censure, ends an excommunication such as that imposed by Canon 1398

Put simply, priests have always been able to forgive this just as they can forgive any mortal sin. Don't even try to argue with me on this one man. CNN are liars. Deal with it.

Not completely accurate.

Yes, Catholic priests in the United States have had authority (given by the bishops) to lift the excommunication incurred for abortion, but this is not true everywhere in the world.

From https://cruxnow.com/church/2015/10/...-to-absolve-from-the-sin-of-abortion-already/

For at least the past 30 years, bishops in the United States have granted to their priests the power to lift the automatic penalty of excommunication attached to procuring an abortion.
A key point - lost in some of the reporting - is that Catholic priests anywhere in the world already have the power to forgive the sin of abortion. The penitent walks out of the confessional forgiven and reunited to God’s grace.
The issue here is not the sin itself, but the excommunication, and who can lift it. In the Code of Canon Law that power is reserved to a bishop - unless, as in the United States, he has chosen to extend this authority to his priests.

It is incorrect to say priests have always had the authority to reverse excommunication due to abortion.

That authority was granted to priests in the USA, but not everywhere. Until recently.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
We're not discussing theology here...

Ok then, it's mock a Catholic Priest time ...
catholic_pedophilia_798845.jpg

commonsense

That's a sick twisted lie, about what I'd expect from the likes of you.

For the record, Jesus chose 12 apostles and one betrayed him. That's an 8% failure rate. We do much better.

Jerk
So you guys are doing are better, you're more proficient and wiser than Jesus Christ himself?

Wow.....that's bold....:(

glassjester

That's a sick twisted lie, about what I'd expect from the likes of you.

For the record, Jesus chose 12 apostles and one betrayed him. That's an 8% failure rate. We do much better.

Not to mention that the frequency of sexual abuse by Catholic priests was lower than that among school teachers, many other religious groups, families, and the general public.

It shouldn't happen at all. And those responsible and involved deserve the full punishment coming to them. But where's the witch-hunt among each of those other groups - for which the rate of sexual abuse is even higher?

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
So you guys are doing are better, you're more proficient and wiser than Jesus Christ himself?

Wow.....that's bold....:(

Read English man. I said that Jesus chose 12 apostles and one betrayed him. That's an 8% failure rate. We do much better.

In other words, we do not have an 8% fail rate among priest. If you learn how to speak English you'll understand that was a tongue & cheek way of saying almost all priests are good men. And the few bad ones we have are because men are men - sinners.

Jerk.