Obeying Jesus' teachings or commands is requirement for salvation.

God's Truth

I challenged you to show me scripture where it says keeping Jesus' commandments was a requirement for salvation. You showed me scriptures where people who were already saved were told to keep his commandments.

You have not shown a conditional statement. You have not shown IF you keep His commandments THEN you will be saved.

Instead you are showing scriptures that say IF you are saved THEN you will keep His commandments.

Your assertion is false.

I'll take "begging the question" for $1,000, Alex.

All those scriptures are if you want to be saved.

God's Truth

Here Jesus promises us IF YOU are obedient:

Matthew 6:14
For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

You will not even be forgiven IF YOU do not forgive other people!

Matthew 6:15
But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

John 8:31
[ Dispute Over Whose Children Jesus’ Opponents Are ] NET Bible
Then Jesus said to those Judeans who had believed him, "If you continue to follow my teaching, you are really my disciples

John 13:17
Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

John 15:10
If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.

John 15:14
You are my friends if you do what I command.

1 John 2:3 And by this we may know that we know Him--if we obey His commands.
John 14:15 NET "If you love me, you will obey my commandments.

Mocking You

there is nothing false in the OP verses.

I never said they were false. I said you are misapplying them to your assertion.

It is your lose that you dismiss or not accepting them.

I accept them, I dismiss your interpretation of them.

You are only speaking against Jesus' word.

I've quoted Jesus' words from John 3 where he said believing in Him gives a person eternal life. There are many, many more (John 5:24, John 6:35, John 6:47, John 7:38). You have not addressed those verses at all. Why not?

God's Truth

I never said they were false. I said you are misapplying them to your assertion.

I accept them, I dismiss your interpretation of them.

I've quoted Jesus' words from John 3 where he said believing in Him gives a person eternal life. There are many, many more (John 5:24, John 6:35, John 6:47, John 7:38). You have not addressed those verses at all. Why not?

All the scriptures where we are told we have to believe, to have faith, they do NOT nullify the scriptures that say we have to obey.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Why the opening post is a lie is simple

You cannot even begin to think about obeying Christ until you are saved..it is just plain impossible...just as soon make the ability to fly a condition of being a Christian.

All those who say they are obeying Jesus commands sufficient enough to be saved are liars of the highest order.

beloved57

1. John 14:15
◦New King James Version
“If you love Me, keep My commandments.

2. John 14:21
◦New King James Version
He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”

3. John 15:10
◦New King James Version
If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

4. 1 John 2:3
◦New King James Version
The Test of Knowing Him ] Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.

5. 1 John 2:4
◦New King James Version
He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

6. 1 John 3:22
◦New King James Version
And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.

7. 1 John 3:24
◦New King James Version
The Spirit of Truth and the Spirit of Error ] Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

8. 1 John 5:2
◦New King James Version
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments.

9. 1 John 5:3
◦New King James Version
For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

10. Revelation 12:17
◦New King James Version
And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

11. Revelation 14:12
◦New King James Version
Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

And here is confirmation from Jesus of keeping Ten commandments as requirement.

Matthew 19:16-19
New International Version (NIV)
16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?” 17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
18 “Which ones?” he inquired.
Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’[a] and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’

Matthew 3:10
And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

You serve a different god and christ from the One I serve, you see, by My Christ's Obedience, by the Obedience of One, Many shall be made Righteous Rom 5:19

19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Here is an If/Then:

Rom. 11:20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either. 22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God's kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off.
That has nothing to do with members of the Body of Christ. We are sealed unto the day of redemption (Ephesians 1:13-14 KJV, Ephesians 4:30 KJV).

heir

TOL Subscriber
Everyone,

Please read all OP verses carefully.

Salvation is conditional.

If we don't love Jesus, there is no salvation.

Jesus says "if you love Me, keep my commands".

I says it all.
meshakis just another classic case of wrongly dividing the word of truth

heir

TOL Subscriber
Better watch out. Bringing up the words of Jesus are bound to get other posters into slamming your character and making fun of your hat!
Presenting an other gospel than that which Paul preached as if it were to people today is a sure way to be accursed!

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Galatians 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Let it be.

heir

TOL Subscriber
I believe, based on the historical research of the word, that salvation is all about transformation in THIS life.

Jesus offered and granted salvation to many long before he was executed by Rome. It had nothing to do with a blood sacrifice for sin and everything to do with the human heart.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Now, what are you going to do about your sins?

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

How are you going to get out of the grave?

heir

TOL Subscriber
The only time ‘faith alone’ is mentioned in the Bible, it is to tell us what kind of faith not to have.
James is not written TO the Body of Christ!

James 1:1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Faith alone without any right action does not save. Apostle James says such faith is DEAD.

Titus 3:4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Titus 3:6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

Titus 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Jesus gave us the words of God, and it is for everyone, and it is forever.
Paul was the risen, ascended Lord's chosen vessel TO us (Romans 11:13 KJV) with the wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ TO us, not Peter, James or John! You are proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words!

1 Timothy 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

1 Timothy 6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

heir

TOL Subscriber
Is that the best to come up with speaking against Jesus' word?
You will be judged by Jesus Christ according to Paul's gospel not according to His words as a minister of the circumcision (Romans 15:8 KJV):

Romans 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

heir

TOL Subscriber
All those scriptures are if you want to be saved.
liar

2 Timothy 1:8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

the gospel of Christ is the means by which we are saved!

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

1 Corinthians 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

1 Corinthians 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

We are reconciled to God by Jesus Christ

2 Corinthians 5:18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

by the cross!

Ephesians 2:16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

heir

TOL Subscriber
Matthew 6:14
For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

You will not even be forgiven IF YOU do not forgive other people!

Matthew 6:15
But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
You are a liar, like your father of lies (John 8:44 KJV)! Forgiveness is a done deal!

Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

heir

TOL Subscriber
All the scriptures where we are told we have to believe, to have faith, they do NOT nullify the scriptures that say we have to obey.
All scripture is for our learning, but it's not all to us, about us or for our obedience. Romans through Philemon is written directly to us. You would know that if you were saved and 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV.