No Valid Defense/Excuse for Adultery ... EVER ....

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Don't paint it on, carve it in!

Well, that is kind of what a tattoo would accomplish ... though more slowly. :) Plus a carve in would eventually scab over and leave a scar that would be much easier to cover up.

Arthur Brain

That's no fun.
:IA:

Well, maybe not. Still, what should society do about it? Some zealots think it should be a death penalty offense. I don't mind there being a financial restitution in some cases but in general the private relationships of couples should be just that. It's not like adultery is simply black and white which is the point I've been trying to make. There's no comparison between someone finding intimacy with another while in a cold or abusive relationship and someone sleeping around and feigning commitment to an unknowing spouse.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, maybe not. Still, what should society do about it? Some zealots think it should be a death penalty offense. I don't mind there being a financial restitution in some cases but in general the private relationships of couples should be just that. It's not like adultery is simply black and white which is the point I've been trying to make. There's no comparison between someone finding intimacy with another while in a cold or abusive relationship and someone sleeping around and feigning commitment to an unknowing spouse.

There are some cases in which I believe adultery should be punished with prison and even the DP. Such cases would be where the adulterating spouse passes on a disease. Because it causes intentional physical harm, the spouse should spend some time in prison. In the case that their *cooties* causes death, they should receive the DP.

Arthur Brain

There are some cases in which I believe adultery should be punished with prison and even the DP. Such cases would be where the adulterating spouse passes on a disease. Because it causes intentional physical harm, the spouse should spend some time in prison. In the case that their *cooties* causes death, they should receive the DP.

Okay, in cases like that then I agree that punishment is warranted.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I answered the question, you just cannot understand it.
No, you equivocated.

Societies opinions are NOT the basis for morality. Perhaps for some vague moral relativity.
This is a declarative sentence, this is an answer.

Once AGAIN, those are NOT even a possible basis for moral determinations.
So observing an action the causes hurt and trying to stop those actions is not a moral basis. Why? Seriously, why is helping people to avoid deep hurt and pain in their life not a basis for making a moral statement? Abortion is wrong, it kills babies. Drug addiction is wrong, it destroys lives across a brad swath of society. We see this and we want to end it. Is that not, at least in part, morality?

No, it is not.

You are all over the road with your peripheral issues and cannot get to the heart of the matter.
No, I am actually very focused on your question. You have so far declined to say why Rusha's statement is not a valid statement. I am reasonably sure that you agree with her, but for some reason, she is wrong because, why? Why is her statement wrong to you,

Right Divider

Body part
You made it too easy to pass up. You go on about others basing their position on "vain opinion" and you can't even see your own.
So according to you all opinions are equally valid "truth"?

I'll bet you think that the majority view is always "right" too.

I've never denied that I have my own opinions, if that's the stupid thing that you're trying to claim about me.

Right Divider

Body part
No, you equivocated.

This is a declarative sentence, this is an answer.
If that "is a declarative sentence" and "is an answer"... where is the problem?

So observing an action the causes hurt and trying to stop those actions is not a moral basis. Why?
Adultery is NOT wrong because it hurts people. It hurts people because it's wrong.

Seriously, why is helping people to avoid deep hurt and pain in their life not a basis for making a moral statement? Abortion is wrong, it kills babies. Drug addiction is wrong, it destroys lives across a brad swath of society. We see this and we want to end it. Is that not, at least in part, morality?
None of those things are wrong BECAUSE they hurt people. They hurt people because they are wrong.

No, I am actually very focused on your question. You have so far declined to say why Rusha's statement is not a valid statement. I am reasonably sure that you agree with her, but for some reason, she is wrong because, why? Why is her statement wrong to you,
Please show where I said she was wrong.... I said NO SUCH THING.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
She is having her foundation for her belief challenged, not the belief itself.
"I 'feel' like it's wrong" is not a valid foundation.

She didn't say that she feels like it is wrong. She made a very concise declarative statement that it is always wrong. I agree with her. My reasons for agreeing with her are may be different than the reasons she has for making her statement, but that doesn't make her statement wrong.

Arthur Brain

So according to you all opinions are equally valid "truth"?

I'll bet you think that the majority view is always "right" too.

I've never denied that I have my own opinions, if that's the stupid thing that you're trying to claim about me.

You made a declarative statement without anything to back it up so that's just your opinion. If something is nonsense then explain why, else you're not bringing anything to the table besides your own opinion which can be dismissed just as you do with other people here.

Danoh

Enjoy your wait. You will not distract from/hijack OR dictate the topic of this discussion. It's my thread. Start your own thread

Pay him in his double-standard no mind.

Anytime I have asked him and his pals questions meant to hopefully get them to perhaps think on a thing a bit further before concluding on it, they have each taken "personal umbredge" to my doing so, given their narrow minds and thin skin.

Yet here he is, repeatedly applying a similar approach that one or another of his pals will come along and justify from within their collective duplicity, once more.

Though in his case, it is obvious what he is up to, thus his insults and condescending tone towards you - he is just looking down his high and mighty self-righteous nose at you.

You're doing just fine.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Rom. 5:6-8.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I am fairly certain we know why. Because it's *my* statement ... EOS. Which is exactly why I will not engage any further with such blatant distractions.

Everyone can agree on specific actions that we all agree are wrong, However, it's easier to empathize with certain individuals as compared to others. AB gave a good example. I understand his example and empathize. However, I agree with Tam's conclusion that it's always wrong.

Danoh

You made a declarative statement without anything to back it up so that's just your opinion. If something is nonsense then explain why, else you're not bringing anything to the table besides your own opinion which can be dismissed just as you do with other people here.

In other words, he is doing what he asserts she is doing.

:chuckle:

Rom. 5:6-8.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
If that "is a declarative sentence" and "is an answer"... where is the problem?
It took you two tries to get to it.

Adultery is NOT wrong because it hurts people. It hurts people because it's wrong.

None of those things are wrong BECAUSE they hurt people. They hurt people because they are wrong.
In either case, the act of adultery has accurately been determined to be wrong. It seems to me that your statement is a meaningless distinction. You are a Christian man and you say adultery is wrong because God said it was wrong and committing adultery will hurt people. Non-Christians may look at the hurt that is caused by adultery and conclude that the act is wrong because of the destruction it leaves in its wake. In either case, the conclusion is that adultery is wrong.

Please show where I said she was wrong.... I said NO SUCH THING.
You never said she was wrong. You heavily implied that she is wrong because you do not think she has formed her moral standards in a way that is acceptable to you. That is why I was asking you all those questions. It was interesting note what you DID NOT say in response to those questions.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
She didn't say that she feels like it is wrong. She made a very concise declarative statement that it is always wrong. I agree with her. My reasons for agreeing with her are may be different than the reasons she has for making her statement, but that doesn't make her statement wrong.

The only other statement I could have made is "Adultery is not always wrong". As I have shown in my response to AB, while I may not agree with him, I am willing to consider and discuss his reasoning. I did ... and still came back with the same conclusion.