No Valid Defense/Excuse for Adultery ... EVER ....

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is never a valid excuse/defense for ... ADULTERY.

Not one excuse. Not ever. Nada.

"He/she cheated."
"He/she was abusive."
"He/she didn't keep the marriage interesting."
"He/she believes the same as me insofar as politics, religion, etc."
"Joe/Josephine down the block did it ... so as long as I like person, it's okay for them to do it as well".

Always wrong .... though if anyone has an argument to defend why *they* believe it's sometimes okay, feel free to make it.

Arthur Brain

I wouldn't say that it's "okay" but I think there's times where it's understandable. Picking up on the "abusive relationship" angle, then I can understand why someone might seek comfort and intimacy from another or where a relationship has gone stale. There's a difference between that and someone sleeping around like a cassanova behind their spouse's back.

Right Divider

Body part

"He/she cheated."
"He/she was abusive."
"Joe/Josephine down the block did it ... so as long as I like person, it's okay for them to do it as well".

Always wrong .... though if anyone has an argument to defend why *they* believe it's sometimes okay, feel free to make it.
On what basis do you determine what is right and what is wrong?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame

"He/she cheated."
"He/she was abusive."

It is always wrong but it need not be the end. It can be forgiven and relationships rebuilt and strengthened if both parties so desire.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I wouldn't say that it's "okay" but I think there's times where it's understandable. Picking up on the "abusive relationship" angle, then I can understand why someone might seek comfort and intimacy from another or where a relationship has gone stale. There's a difference between that and someone sleeping around like a cassanova behind their spouse's back.

One can be a friend with another person and lean on them for support without sleeping with them. If such a friendship is driven by sincerity and good will, it will stay intact until such a time that a more serious relationship would be appropriate. Such as after divorce.

Arthur Brain

One can be a friend with another person and lean on them for support without sleeping with them. If such a friendship is driven by sincerity and good will, it will stay intact until such a time that a more serious relationship would be appropriate. Such as after divorce.

What if the partner won't grant a divorce? What if someone is trapped in a loveless relationship? In cases like that it's understandable that people seek intimacy elsewhere. Doesn't compare to someone who sleeps around all over the place, comes home and pretends that their spouse is the love of their life etc...

Arthur Brain

Nonsense. It was totally ON-topic.

YOU made the claim what something is WRONG.

YOU need to defend your argument.

On what BASIS to you believe that it is wrong? Your own magnificent opinion?

Morality I would presume. It's wrong to be cruel to animals or starve people to death. Do you need some external source to base your opinions on?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
On what basis do you determine what is right and what is wrong?

Nonsense. It was totally ON-topic.

Nonsense. To distract, you made the topic about *me*. This isn't about *me*. This is about adultery. It's either right or wrong.

YOU made the claim what something is WRONG.

I did. You are welcome to argue that you disagree that adultery is wrong ... or you are welcome to agree that adultery is ALWAYS wrong.

YOU need to defend your argument.

I only need to defend an argument that you DISAGREE with. IF you disagree with me, feel free to say so. OR ... if you don't like the question I asked, feel free to start your own thread.

On what BASIS to you believe that it is wrong? Your own magnificent opinion?

:think: Off-topic ... though thank you. I agree ... my opinion is magnificent.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What if the partner won't grant a divorce? What if someone is trapped in a loveless relationship? In cases like that it's understandable that people seek intimacy elsewhere. Doesn't compare to someone who sleeps around all over the place, comes home and pretends that their spouse is the love of their life etc...

Take em to court. It might be messy and take a little longer, but where there is a will, there is a way. Otherwise, leave and make them so miserable they will beg you to sign the papers. :D

Arthur Brain

Take em to court. It might be messy and take a little longer, but where there is a will, there is a way. Otherwise, leave and make them so miserable they will beg you to sign the papers. :D

Well, I get your drift but it's not always as simple as that for people. I think there's shades of grey on the subject although not fifty...

:eek:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
YOU made a CLAIM.... why can't you defend it?

I already answered the topic. The question would be ... why can't YOU simply answer the question. It's not rocket science. Seriously ... either adultery is always wrong ... or it's a-okay. Which is it?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

"He/she cheated."
"He/she was abusive."

I agree on principle.
But with those women that get beat up by their husband, I would encourage them to leave if they don't have a father, brothers, cousins, etc. to break some of his bones and to expect worse if he ever does it again.

One can skit around the law, hire a good lawyer, and get away with things on technicalities.
You can't skirt fathers, brothers, cousins, etc. that are determined to protect their own.