No Valid Defense/Excuse for Adultery ... EVER ....

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, I get your drift but it's not always as simple as that for people. I think there's shades of grey on the subject although not fifty...

:eek:

The vow is to be faithful to your spouse. I completely agree that people can fall out of love or even get to the point at where regardless of love, the relationship is toxic. However, the only person I can speak for is myself in stating that I would not allow myself to go outside of my standards due to my emotional state. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What needs to be defended? Adultery is wrong, do you agree or not?
I believe he might be making the point that morality must have it's foundation per the Lord, and not subjective feelings.
Which is probably brought up because Rusha is agnostic.
So the question would be ..... does Rusha base her moral foundation on the Lord, or her own feelings on the matter?
If that wasn't the point, I apologize for butting in.

Arthur Brain

The vow is to be faithful to your spouse. I completely agree that people can fall out of love or even get to the point at where regardless of love, the relationship is toxic. However, the only person I can speak for is myself in stating that I would not allow myself to go outside of my standards due to my emotional state. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Yes, it is although the vow doesn't include to put up with abuse further down the line should a relationship turn sour or a partner become controlling etc. I can't accuse someone of being immoral if they've sought intimacy elsewhere in cases like that although that's just my opinion.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Conscience and common sense. I don't need some "rulebook" to tell me that torturing an animal is wrong by way of. You?
But does conscience and common sense tell you to tell a woman to stay with a man that beats her up?
(Granted, she is not committing adultery just by leaving him, and Rusha's point is about committing adultery.)

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
On what BASIS do you determine what is right and what is wrong? You are another one with perfect opinion?
Is it your contention that because Rusha is agnostic it is not possible for her to right from wrong? If I recall correctly, Rusha is staunchly anti-abortion. Is she wrong about that also because she may use a different basis than you?

Arthur Brain

But does conscience and common sense tell you to tell a woman to stay with a man that beats her up?
(Granted, she is not committing adultery just by leaving him, and Rusha's point is about committing adultery.)

No, I've known women who have been in abusive relationships, not physically but psychologically and emotionally and in any case like that I'd encourage people to get out of the relationship regardless of the nature of the abuse. I'm saying it's understandable that people commit adultery in cases like that. Sure, you could argue that it's still immoral but I see more grey areas on the subject.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, it is although the vow doesn't include to put up with abuse further down the line should a relationship turn sour or a partner become controlling etc. I can't accuse someone of being immoral if they've sought intimacy elsewhere in cases like that although that's just my opinion.

I don't have a problem with them being intimate with someone else ... AFTER the divorce is finalized. Also, I do understand and empathize, it's just a matter of timing. I held myself to this standard while I was going through my divorce not because I wasn't lonely or emotional (and very pregnant) but just because it was the right thing to do. I have children and a grandson and will never set the example that "adultery is okay IF".

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, I've known women who have been in abusive relationships, not physically but psychologically and emotionally and in any case like that I'd encourage people to get out of the relationship regardless of the nature of the abuse. I'm saying it's understandable that people commit adultery in cases like that. Sure, you could argue that it's still immoral but I see more grey areas on the subject.
To commit adultery, she would have to have sex with another man.
So leaving an abusive husband is not adultery in itself.
Now if a woman thinks she can commit adultery because of what her husband does, then she would be wrong.