No Valid Defense/Excuse for Adultery ... EVER ....

Arthur Brain

I don't have a problem with them being intimate with someone else ... AFTER the divorce is finalized. Also, I do understand and empathize, it's just a matter of timing. I held myself to this standard while I was going through my divorce not because I wasn't lonely or emotional (and very pregnant) but just because it was the right thing to do. I have children and a grandson and will never set the example that "adultery is okay IF".

Well, I do understand and I commend you for your stance and sticking to your principles on the subject. I can't judge those who find intimacy elsewhere in a broken marriage where a divorce has to be finalized before it's "okay". If the relationships over then a bit of paper isn't going to make any appreciable difference IMO. I'm not saying you'd condemn people who have affairs in saying this either. Will just have to disagree here...

:eek:

Arthur Brain

To commit adultery, she would have to have sex with another man.
So leaving an abusive husband is not adultery in itself.
Now if a woman thinks she can commit adultery because of what her husband does, then she would be wrong.

Sure, but if she leaves him then what real difference does some drawn out legal process to legally void the marriage matter? The relationships over and a certificate means it's okay to have an intimate relationship with another man? It's semantics.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
So you think that majority vote is the basis for morality?

Some societies have no problem with adultery, are they wrong?

So we have found another question you will undoubtedly refuse to answer. Okey dokey,

What about experience and observation? Rusha is an intelligent and observant woman. I'm sure she has observed the damage and destruction adultery has on a family, especially children. Does a desire to stop this kind of hurt from being propagated form an acceptable basis for determining that adultery is wrong?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sure, but if she leaves him then what real difference does some drawn out legal process to legally void the marriage matter? The relationships over and a certificate means it's okay to have an intimate relationship with another man? It's semantics.
The OP was not about whether divorce was ever right or wrong.
It was about whether adultery is ever right or wrong.
I can think of no right reason to commit adultery.

Right Divider

Body part
So we have found another question you will undoubtedly refuse to answer. Okey dokey,
I answered the question, you just cannot understand it.

Societies opinions are NOT the basis for morality. Perhaps for some vague moral relativity.

What about experience and observation?
Once AGAIN, those are NOT even a possible basis for moral determinations.

Rusha is an intelligent and observant woman. I'm sure she has observed the damage and destruction adultery has on a family, especially children. Does a desire to stop this kind of hurt from being propagated form an acceptable basis for determining that adultery is wrong?
No, it is not.

You are all over the road with your peripheral issues and cannot get to the heart of the matter.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

What about experience and observation? Rusha is an intelligent and observant woman. I'm sure she has observed the damage and destruction adultery has on a family, especially children. Does a desire to stop this kind of hurt from being propagated form an acceptable basis for determining that adultery is wrong?
She is having her foundation for her belief challenged, not the belief itself.
"I 'feel' like it's wrong" is not a valid foundation.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We could venture into other areas of this same topic.

What should a society do about those that commit adultery?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We could venture into other areas of this same topic.

What should a society do about those that commit adultery?

Don't reward cheaters. They should receive monetary punishment in the form of financial restitution (alimony) and loss of property. Insofar as *physical* punishment, tattoo their foreheads with bright red letters reading "I am an adulterous louse".