No Longer A Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by On Fire

What's funny about your post is the sheer amount of effort it took you to be not at all funny or witty.

This coming from the master of fun and wit himself...

By the way, are you going to answer my question or will this thread degenerate (again) into a urinating contest?

On Fire

Originally posted by Gerald

You're not expecting a serious presentation of, say, facts, are you...? :chuckle:

You shut up before I come over there and beat you with your own suspenders.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by granite1010
By the way, are you going to answer my question or will this thread degenerate (again) into a urinating contest?
Somebody better get a mop... :chuckle:

firechyld

Lighthouse, I don't think you realise how uninformed you're sounding. You insist that your beliefs are based solely on "relationship with Jesus" and not the church... yet you hold several convictions that come solely from the church and not from Biblical texts, let alone the words of Jesus himself.

I'm not going to attack your belief in God. But I'd have a lot more respect for those beliefs if you researched them properly. You're woefully uneducated on the matter of your own religion... the thing that seems to be more important to you than anything else in the world.

BChristianK

Originally posted by firechyld

Lighthouse, I don't think you realize how uninformed you're sounding. You insist that your beliefs are based solely on "relationship with Jesus" and not the church... yet you hold several convictions that come solely from the church and not from Biblical texts, let alone the words of Jesus himself.
Firechyld, perhaps you can give Lighthouse a couple of examples of where his convictions come solely from the church and not from Biblical texts. One would hope you have some examples in mind, else we would be forced to conclude that you are a hypocrite for chastising Lighthouse for being "uniformed" when the basis for your claims are equally uniformed. Now we should not jump to the conclusion that you are a hypocrite, so I am asking you if you would please substantiate your statement or retract it.

Surely you have a basis for these statements and they are not based on "uniformed" assumptions, right?

I'm not going to attack your belief in God. But I'd have a lot more respect for those beliefs if you researched them properly. You're woefully uneducated on the matter of your own religion... the thing that seems to be more important to you than anything else in the world.
Again, I think your next post really ought to put some analysis behind your accusations. The definition of hypocrisy is, as you know, pointing to a flaw in another when you have the selfsame flaw. If you are going to take Lighthouse to task for being "uneducated" about his beliefs, I would hope you would be able to articulate what Lighthouse believes and how he is misinformed using your own educated understanding of Lighthouses religion. This would show us that you made your claims with an “educated� understanding and not from an “uneducated� judgment, either about what Lighthouse believes or about the religion you think he does not understand.

So can you please, provide Lighthouse with some of these examples?

Grace and Peace

BChristianK

What you don't realize is that what you believe about Christ is based on what the church decided he was. The Bible didn't just show up, Lighthouse. It was hammered out, edited, and cobbled together over a period of decades. People just didn't decide Jesus was the savior of mankind, either. It was put to a committee vote.
No, no, no it wasn't. Please tell me that in your research and study of church history that you realized that there was no committee vote to canonize the NT.

If you missed this, then perhaps you stopped researching too soon.
If a half dozen votes had slid in another direction your faith and Christianity as a whole would be completely different.
Ok, why don't you tell me which Council you are referring to and what decision you are talking about.
There is more to being a Christian than just "accepting Jesus into your heart." Because the Jesus you believe in and the book you trust are products of a committee.
Can you name that committee meeting?
Man-made. Plenty of people "believe in Christ." Heck, Wickwoman does; I'd venture that Zakath would agree that someone named Jesus probably lived. Believing in Christ is easy. Believing what the Christian church says about him is something else entirely.
How about we start simple. What is it, specifically, that the Christian church has said that you find hard to believe?

Forgive me if I am asking form something you have already provided but I have looked back over the last several pages in this thread I can't find anything specifically that you think the church just up and invented.

There are hosts of folks that make this claim all the time. Making the claim is one thing, arguing it and showing rational evidence for it is another.

Grace and Peace

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

"I know you didn't make it up. Someone else did. The problem is that you believed them. The DaVinci Code is fiction, and the only truth it is based on is that there were other writings about Jesus, but those writings were completely contradictory to those written by the ones who knew Christ. And those other writings are therefore heretical, because they contradicted the things Christ spoke of Himself."

WHAT??? Are you under the impression that "The DaVinci Code" is the be all and end all of skeptical literature? Lighthouse. Dude. Get a CLUE. It's a novel. It's fiction. It's brain candy. There is a TON of well-informed, very well-researched literature out there--scholarly stuff, not the escapism of Dan Brown. If you honestly believe a little potboiler like "DaVinci" represents the work out there that's critical of Christianity, you really have no idea what you're talking about.
:doh::rolleyes:
The DaVinci Code is the most recent, and currently most popular, propaganda for the lies you're basing your new found "knowledge" on. IT WAS AN EXAMPLE, DIMWIT!

firechyld

Firechyld, perhaps you can give Lighthouse a couple of examples of where his convictions come solely from the church and not from Biblical texts. One would hope you have some examples in mind, else we would be forced to conclude that you are a hypocrite for chastising Lighthouse for being "uniformed" when the basis for your claims are equally uniformed. Now we should not jump to the conclusion that you are a hypocrite, so I am asking you if you would please substantiate your statement or retract it.

Surely you have a basis for these statements and they are not based on "uniformed" assumptions, right?

Sure. The example that jumps to mind immediately is the stand taken against abortion by some Christian groups. It can be traced to two specific extra-biblical texts that became church teaching... but are not Biblical.

I can get specifically into fundamentalism and Christian post-modernism, but I'd really rather not.

Before I go on, I should point out that I don't consider the fact that some of lighthouse's (or anyone else's) beliefs are based on church teaching and not taken directly from Scripture to be a bad thing. Quite the opposite. I've pointed out repeatedly that I think the ability to evolve is something I consider beneficial to a religious structure. Judaism is a great example... not all Judaic beliefs are taken directly from the Tanekh, but this is not a negative thing. I am NOT trying to claim that lighthouse's beliefs are wrong or false because of their origins.

The only fault I see in lighthouse in this area is his insistance that his beliefs are not based on extra-biblical writings and church doctrine. I have no objection to him holding these beliefs... only to his lack of knowledge about their origins, and his claims to the contrary.

Again, I think your next post really ought to put some analysis behind your accusations. The definition of hypocrisy is, as you know, pointing to a flaw in another when you have the selfsame flaw. If you are going to take Lighthouse to task for being "uneducated" about his beliefs, I would hope you would be able to articulate what Lighthouse believes and how he is misinformed using your own educated understanding of Lighthouses religion. This would show us that you made your claims with an “educated� understanding and not from an “uneducated� judgment, either about what Lighthouse believes or about the religion you think he does not understand.

So can you please, provide Lighthouse with some of these examples?

I was perhaps a little unclear about what I meant in this section of my post. I was not implying that lighthouse's beliefs were in any way wrong. When I said:

You're woefully uneducated on the matter of your own religion

... I was referring to history, to the socio-political climate surrounding the authoring of each text that makes up his Bible, and the history of the church and Christianity in general.

Another example... there was a discussion about the authorship of the gospels, and their role as war time writings. Lighthouse lept into the discussion all hyped up to insist the they were actually written by the people whose names are ascribed to them.

Now, again, I have no trouble with him believing that... although, since it's a historical question, I'd expect him to have some sort of evidence backing his position. But lighthouse had never even encountered the question before. He had never attempted to research the authorship of the gospels, or the study that has been done into that question. He simply accepted what he had been told... that they were written by those specific people. My problem is that he was prepared to argue this uninformed position, with nothing backing him up. Much as he does here.

Now, since I've had many discussions with lighthouse that deal with these topics, I'd really prefer not to get into yet another point-for-point argument with him over issues that are already being discussed elsewhere. I also don't wish to hijack this thread. I hope that my explanation of my position makes the point-for-point unnecessary.

Lighthouse, as I've said many times before, I have no issue with you believing what you believe. I simply wish you'd research more before arguing topics that come down to factual evidence and history. Those debates cannot be won by arguing belief alone.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
My belief that abortion is murder is based on my defining murder as the taking of an innocent life. And the Bible is clear that a child within its mother's womb is very much alive.

Next please.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

:doh::rolleyes:
The DaVinci Code is the most recent, and currently most popular, propaganda for the lies you're basing your new found "knowledge" on. IT WAS AN EXAMPLE, DIMWIT!

Then it was a very poor example. And if it's all you can think of off the top of your head it reinforces what 'Chyld and myself already said: you're not very well-informed on this issue.

In my experience the people who know the most about church history usually aren't Christians. Why?

Granite

Hall of Fame
"No, no, no it wasn't. Please tell me that in your research and study of church history that you realized that there was no committee vote to canonize the NT."

Re-read the sentence. I was referring to the issue of Christ's deity, which the Council of Nicea DID vote on.

The development of the canon was a much more fluid process with individual sects and groups in Africa, Asia, etc., using favorite gospels and books.

"How about we start simple. What is it, specifically, that the Christian church has said that you find hard to believe?"

That a tri-une God was made man to satisfy a blood lust within that same tri-une godhead and that the god-man was subsequently dead and buried for three days and nights (which, according to the gospels, is not strictly true), rose, and ascended. Ancient mythology is full of similar stories, by the way. So nothing in the above paragraph is unique. And it doesn't make it any easier for me to swallow if we're talking Egyptian deities or a Christian one.

Hope this clarifies things.

On Fire

Well, I guess that answers that. Way to increase your post count...

:yawn:

I started on page 1 of this thread and was going to collect your absurdities but there were so many I just lost interest. You can do it yourself....go back to page 1, read your posts and anywhere you say things like "I experienced this at my church and therefore all of Christianity is hogwash" say to yourself "there I go again, making up lies."

Granite

Hall of Fame

:yawn:

I started on page 1 of this thread and was going to collect your absurdities but there were so many I just lost interest. You can do it yourself....go back to page 1, read your posts and anywhere you say things like "I experienced this at my church and therefore all of Christianity is hogwash" say to yourself "there I go again, making up lies."

I see. When you're too lazy or out of your depth, just use a blanket statement and talk a walk.

Ignorance is bliss.

On Fire

I see. When you're too lazy or out of your depth, just use a blanket statement and talk a walk.

Ignorance is bliss.

1. Get a mirror.
2. Hold up three fingers and hold them up to your forehead.
3. Look in the mirror.
4. What do you see?

Whatever!

Granite

Hall of Fame

Stupid is spelling "take" with an "L".

The fact that you're clueless about your own religion, and refuse to take the time to prove me wrong, is not my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.