No Longer A Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by elohiym

Zakath may say something intelligent one day.
The question is, would you recognize it when he does?

:chuckle:

If Zakath becomes a believer, I will rejoice. God's word is true, and with God it is possible, still.
Since your deity is merely a figment of your apparently overactive imagination, there's little likelihood of that happening.

If Zakath is one day ashes under my feet, I will rejoice. God's word is true, and God promised the ungodly and sinners will be consumed with eternal fire, and that they would be ashes under my feet.
The "joyful Christian" dancing on my grave, eh? Is this image another "private communique" from the deity?

Time alone will tell. Your deity certainly won't... :chuckle:

Jesus was sent so that none should perish, but our Lord clearly taught many will perish.
He must not have done a very good job then... :think:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Dave Miller

...The fact that the laws of physics exist at all
is a miracle.
Hardly. The available evidence seems to indicate that it's more likely to be the result of random events than divine twiddling.

We're just discovering what God created from
the beginning.
No, you're merely attributing things that are being discovered to divine action to justify the existence of your deity in a universe where the supernatural shrinks at an ever increasing rate.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Gerald

You misspelled "the vast majority"...
I think he does his own translating (most likely with the assistance of a concordance), with quite humorous results. :chuckle:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Zakath

So your deity is subordinated to logic? :think:
Anything that is real.... is!

Zakath... sorry I missed that response. I looked for one from you and must have lost that one in the shuffle. My bad.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Re: the gospel

Re: the gospel

Originally posted by ilyatur

Granite, I'm curious as to what your current beliefs about the gospel are. Now that you've left Christianity, I assume that the Good News (you can be forgiven) is not considered salutary. You believe either

a) that you don't need forgiveness from God, or

b) if you do, Jesus is not qualified to save you.

I'm just guessing, and at this point your beliefs about the means of salvation (and whether it's even needed) may be under development. Would you like to discuss these things?

I guess "A" out of the two you provided. I don't think "salvation" is necessarily the big thing for me, currently; at the least, it doesn't keep me up nights.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

What makes you never a Christian is that you do not now believe in Christ, and therefore you don't have a relationship with Him. That shows that you never had a relationship with Him. Therefore, you were never a Christian and never in the Body of Christ. Get a clue.

I see; so Christ does not have limited relationships with anyone? It's a one-time only thing? He does not commune with, respond to, or manifest himself to ANYBODY except twentysomething poseurs such as yourself? Thanks for clarifying.

Here's your problem, LH. You'd say anybody, despite all their appearances, works, defense of the faith, and what have you, once they leave the church, NEVER had a relationship with Christ. Despite everything you saw and heard and knew--and, indeed, despite of everything I said and did and knew--I just wasn't in the club. Right? What if I dropped dead a year ago? I guess I would have fallen into that "never knew you" crowd when I stood before Jesus.

It wouldn't matter that I'd given my entire life to the church, felt at peace with the church, felt happy with my faith. Wouldn't matter that I could defend Christianity with the best of them. All of it, gone. I was simply deceived, somehow--by myself, by the devil, by something, but despite of every conviction I had one year ago (almost exactly), there was a piece to the puzzle I simply didn't have.

Okay.

So how do you know it's not the case with you? Any of the pretentious little "God has shown me it's so" reasons you will or can come back with would be EXACTLY what I would have said a year ago. Basically, you have no way of knowing if you've somehow deceived yourself. Or maybe you're missing a piece to the puzzle. But Lord, I cast out demons in your name. I healed the sick. I PREACHED for you! Doesn't matter. Depart from me; I never knew you.

I know this much: if you wind up walking from the faith eventually, I would not make the mistake of assuming you NEVER had a relationship with Christ. I did. And it's in over now. Kind of like saying a divorced couple never REALLY loved each other. Sure they did. Once. Just not now. And to say otherwise is ignorant, naive, arrogant, or possibly all three.

Cheers! What a wacky, wacky weekend this is turning into...

Mr. Coffee

Granite,

On the question of whether you "ever were" or "ever had".. what's your version?

To say, "Yes, I did experience spiritual communion with Jesus" is to affirm him as the Living One now. But you're "no longer a Christian".. and what you mean by this is that you no longer believe it is possible to experience Jesus person-to-person. Once, you thought that you had this, but now you are saying that you never did. Am I reading you right?

Last edited:

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by granite1010

I see; so Christ does not have limited relationships with anyone? It's a one-time only thing? He does not commune with, respond to, or manifest himself to ANYBODY except twentysomething poseurs such as yourself? Thanks for clarifying.

Here's your problem, LH. You'd say anybody, despite all their appearances, works, defense of the faith, and what have you, once they leave the church, NEVER had a relationship with Christ. Despite everything you saw and heard and knew--and, indeed, despite of everything I said and did and knew--I just wasn't in the club. Right? What if I dropped dead a year ago? I guess I would have fallen into that "never knew you" crowd when I stood before Jesus.

It wouldn't matter that I'd given my entire life to the church, felt at peace with the church, felt happy with my faith. Wouldn't matter that I could defend Christianity with the best of them. All of it, gone. I was simply deceived, somehow--by myself, by the devil, by something, but despite of every conviction I had one year ago (almost exactly), there was a piece to the puzzle I simply didn't have.

Okay.

So how do you know it's not the case with you? Any of the pretentious little "God has shown me it's so" reasons you will or can come back with would be EXACTLY what I would have said a year ago. Basically, you have no way of knowing if you've somehow deceived yourself. Or maybe you're missing a piece to the puzzle. But Lord, I cast out demons in your name. I healed the sick. I PREACHED for you! Doesn't matter. Depart from me; I never knew you.

I know this much: if you wind up walking from the faith eventually, I would not make the mistake of assuming you NEVER had a relationship with Christ. I did. And it's in over now. Kind of like saying a divorced couple never REALLY loved each other. Sure they did. Once. Just not now. And to say otherwise is ignorant, naive, arrogant, or possibly all three.

Granite, there are any number of reasons why people leave the Christian faith. Many of the reasons and many of the people are enumerated in the brutally honest verses of the New Testament. Many left, due to persecution, many for lack of faith, many for lack of endurance. Many even found the claims to be too unbelievable, and so never became believers. Many were almost persuaded, but demanded either more proof, either in wisdom, or in miracles.
You are not that unique. You believed for a while, and you examined your faith and found it lacking the evidence to satisfy your mind. You now say that you were self deceived. Again, that is not a unique condition to any individual in the human condition with a finite mind and finite knowledge. How can any of us say for sure that you are not self deceived now, since by your own admission it has already happened to you once?
There are many of us who believe that we were self deceived when we did not believe that Yeshua is the Christ, the Son of the living God. Many of us have become better people and have a more rational worldview, in our own minds, since we became believers. For you just the opposite has turned out to be true.
Do not try to make yourself or your experience to be that extraordinary. The very "Person" who established His church said that there would be "many" who would fall away! He also asked, that when He returns," will He find faith on the earth". That implies that their will be few, and that there will be a great falling away.
Please do not make it sound like you are some kind of martyr, being mistreated or misunderstood by those whom you used to call "brothers".
You no longer believe, you have stated your case, and now it is time for you to embark on your journey. All I can say is may you find the whole truth.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by wickwoman

Maybe Zakath will convert when they invent a receiver that picks up God waves. :D
God already did. It's called the human mind.

elohiym

The "joyful Christian" dancing on my grave, eh? Is this image another "private communique" from the deity?
I never said dancing; those are your words, but...

And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts. Malachi 4:3

I wouldn't feel like dancing on your ashes Zakath, but I might wiggle my toes in them a bit. ;) (That's for Gerald)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

Where did I say such things? God communes with those who have a relationship with Him. And those who commune with him will never deny His existence. This goes for Christ, as well.

Here's your problem, LH. You'd say anybody, despite all their appearances, works, defense of the faith, and what have you, once they leave the church, NEVER had a relationship with Christ.
IT'S NOT ABOUT THE CHURCH! IT'S ABOUT CHRIST!

Despite everything you saw and heard and knew--and, indeed, despite of everything I said and did and knew--I just wasn't in the club. Right?
See above.

What if I dropped dead a year ago? I guess I would have fallen into that "never knew you" crowd when I stood before Jesus.
Yes.

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE CHURCH! IT'S ABOUT CHRIST!

Okay.

I know Christ. I have a relationship with Him. I am His. My life is His, not the church's.

I know this much: if you wind up walking from the faith eventually, I would not make the mistake of assuming you NEVER had a relationship with Christ.
Define faith. I will never leave my Savior. He is my Father, and my Friend. He loves me, and I love Him. I am His. I have a relationship with Him, so I will never deny His existence. And I know His love, and will never leave Him.

If you lose a friend [not to death, but because one of you betrayed the other] are you going to deny his existence? No! So, if you now deny the existence of Christ, you never had a relationship with Him. Again, get a clue.

And it's in over now. Kind of like saying a divorced couple never REALLY loved each other.
Does your ex-wife exist? Does Christ exist?

Sure they did. Once. Just not now. And to say otherwise is ignorant, naive, arrogant, or possibly all three.
LOVE IS A CHOICE! NOT A FELLING, OR AN EMOTION! A CHOICE!

Whose fault is that?

elohiym

How so? What can you do to demonstrate that you're not just another religious crackpot or delusional neurotic or psychotic making grandiose claims of communion with otherworldly beings?

:think:
Weren't you a Pastor once, and shouldn't you know the answers to these questions?

If you can't understand me when I'm using worldly things like caterpillars and radio waves for examples, how will you understand me if I tell you about spiritual things?

Ahh, so now your qualified to re-translate the New Testament...

Somehow, I don't think so. :think:
If you disagree with anything I paraphrase, then please prove why my interpretation of the Hebrew or Greek is flawed.

No, we parted ways, back when you declared yourself a believer in something no one can see, hear, touch, taste or otherwise experience except through your claims of alleged "truth".
Yeah, like I implied. Thanks.

Most of the evidences you refer to either do not support your point (such as the depth of the Red Sea), or are provided by people who have gravely misunderstood geology and have little concrete evidence to back up their claims.
Nonsense, Zakath. You don't know what you are talking about.

I personally know someone that went diving at the Red Sea crossing site, and she claims there is an underwater land bridge just as Wyatt, Williams, and Cornuke have all claimed. She is a person I trust, with no motivation to perpetrate a con. I've seen photographs of people standing on this underwater landbridge at high tide in waste-high to chest-high water, and I've seen arial photographs of the area revealing the underwater landbridge, exposed in areas at low tide. The Exodus crossing site exists. Deal with it.

Besides the burnt moutain top of Jabal al Lawz, there is a large wing-shaped altar site with sections of marble columns scattered near it. There is an altar made with large stones incribed with Egyptian Bull God symbols that probably held the calf that was worshiped. There is a split rock, with a small burnt patch near it, and the stones below that split rock show evidence of an enormous amount of water coming from the split rock, making the rocks below it smooth. There is even more evidence like that, which you cannot refute.

There is an interesting refutation of Cornuke's alleged claims about the mountain he describes as Mt. Sinai over on http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/feedback/dec03.html.

To sum up the points:

Essentially, direct oservations by both "secular" and religious geologists of the Jabal al Lawz region readily refute argument by Cornuke and Halbrook (2000) that the top of Jabal al Lawz has been either charred or recently melted. If the rocks on the summit of Jabal al Lawz look "melted" it is because they consist of metamorphosed lava and other extrusive igneous rocks called "greenstone", formed from the cooling of once molten rocks billions of years before the Israelites even existed. This "remarkable find" is actually a remarkable blunder on the part of people, who obviously didn't understand anything about the geology of the area that they were studying. There is nothing about the geology of Jabal al Lawz that indicates it was either melted or charred by any event reported to have occurred by the Bible.
That is what you call an interesting refutation? Are YOU that gullible, Zakath? I'll break it down for you so you don't need to remain confused.

First, the author of the quoted material is Mr. Anonymous. The letter that includes what you quoted begins "Mr. Anonymous stated:" So you are offering me an "interesting refutation" by an author that feels the need to hide his name. Great start!

Essentially, direct oservations by both "secular" and religious geologists of the Jabal al Lawz region readily refute argument by Cornuke and Halbrook (2000) that the top of Jabal al Lawz has been either charred or recently melted.

Yeah, right, Mr. Anonymous. Atheists may be that gullible, but I'll need to see some statements from some "secular" and religious geologists. Funny how this letter from Mr. Anonymous doesn't contain ANY quotes from ANY geologists. :curious:

If the rocks on the summit of Jabal al Lawz look "melted" it is because they consist of metamorphosed lava and other extrusive igneous rocks called "greenstone", formed from the cooling of once molten rocks billions of years before the Israelites even existed.

Okay. I see. If the rocks look "melted" it's because they were "melted" (lava and extrusive rock). So Mr. Anonymous is trying to explain away melted rock by claiming it was melted before the Exodus. Based on his references, he is formulating this opinion with maps, and has not seen the rocks at the site up close like Cornuke and others have.

Let's see what Mr. Anonymous thinks geologists would regard or not regard about Cornuke's find. I mean, Mr. Anonymous' opinion about what some geologists might think is something we should all consider. :chuckle:
Unfortunately, geologists, who are familiar with the geology of the area, in which Cornuke and Halbrook (2000) claimed to have found Mt. Sinai, would certainly not regard their ideas about Jabal al Lawz being Mt. Sinai a "remarkable geological find." Rather, they would regard their interpretation that the top of Jabal al Lawz had been both melted and charred by any event during the last few thousand years to be a remarkable geological blunder on the part of Cornuke and Halbrook (2000).
All I see is a remarkable debating blunder. I can't believe you were stupid enough to quote that letter, Zakath.

There is nothing about the geology of Jabal al Lawz that indicates it was either melted or charred by any event reported to have occurred by the Bible.

There is nothing about the letter you quoted that makes me believe I should give it any credibility.

If you're really interested in scientific discussion of the area, see...
  • Bramkamp, R. A., Brown, G. F., Holm, D. A., and Layne, N. M., Jr., 1963, Geologic Map of the Wadi As Sirhan Quadrangle Kingdom of Suadi Arabia. U.S. Geological Survey Miscellaneous Geologic Investigations Map I-200A. U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, Virginia. Scale: 1:250,000.
  • Shelton, John S., 1966, Geology Illustrated. Freeman Press. San Francisco, California.
  • Trent, Virgil A., and Johnson, Robert F., 1967, Geologic map of the Jabal al Lawz Quadrangle, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia; U.S. Geol. Survey, Mineral Investigation Map MI-13, 1:100,000.
The references you quote above are the footnotes copied out of the same letter from which you quoted the previous nonsense about Cornuke's supposed flawed understanding of geology.

Sadly for you, those are maps and not "scientific discussion", as you foolishly assert. Open your eyes, dude. :doh:

I wonder how much scientific discussion is happening at "Scale: 1:250,000" compared to "Scale: 1:100,000", or how much of the 1966 edition of Geology Illustrated is devoted to scientifically refuting Cornuke's claims. :chuckle:

Okay, Zakath. I'm putting you on ignorant. :chuckle:

Their ignorance and your gullibility are not my problem, they're yours.
How about, YOUR ignorance and gullibility are your downfall?

Well, then perhaps you'd better go back to your made-for-TV "biblical archeology" specials and stop wasting all of our time... :thumb:
There are made-for-TV specials for many different things, like undersea exploration (Titanic), String Theory, the making of the Atom Bomb. Are you saying everything that is depicted in a made-for-TV special is a waste of time?

The evidence is there, from multiple sources. The Exodus happened. Deal with it.

Based on the other things you've posted, your lack of intelligence about atheists in general, and me in particular, isn't any more offensive than the maunderings of a two year old.
Great! Then I'll feel free to continue calling you what you are, a God-hater. :D

I do not "hate God" any more than I "hate" Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny when I claim that they do not exist. Hating something that does not exist is neither rational, or a good way to spend one's energy.
From my perspective, you hate God. I acknowledge your perspective, but disagree with your interpretation of reality.

See ya around, Zakath.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
If I don't see it, It Isn't

If I don't see it, It Isn't

How does one demonstrate or prove non-existence?

Seems to me that the atheist position rests on simple denial, nothing more.

PureX

Re: If I don't see it, It Isn't

Re: If I don't see it, It Isn't

Originally posted by Frank Ernest

How does one demonstrate or prove non-existence?

Seems to me that the atheist position rests on simple denial, nothing more.
This is no more true than a theist's position resting on superstition, and nothing more.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ilyatur

Granite,

On the question of whether you "ever were" or "ever had".. what's your version?

To say, "Yes, I did experience spiritual communion with Jesus" is to affirm him as the Living One now. But you're "no longer a Christian".. and what you mean by this is that you no longer believe it is possible to experience Jesus person-to-person. Once, you thought that you had this, but now you are saying that you never did. Am I reading you right?

My version is that I DID experience a communion with God, and decided to pigeonhole the experience by boxing it up within the Christian church. Whatever experience I had then, I do not believe it's possible to commune with Jesus as a historical, physical human being right now. So I guess you're right: I thought I had it, but I didn't. The Stone Temple Pilots say it best, of course: You'll never lose it 'cause you never had it...

Granite

Hall of Fame
"Granite, there are any number of reasons why people leave the Christian faith."

Absolutely.

"You are not that unique."

When did I ever say I was?

"You believed for a while, and you examined your faith and found it lacking the evidence to satisfy your mind."

Yes...

"You now say that you were self deceived. Again, that is not a unique condition to any individual in the human condition with a finite mind and finite knowledge. How can any of us say for sure that you are not self deceived now, since by your own admission it has already happened to you once?"

And I'll say again: I have never said I'm some kind of special case. I don't know if it was so much self deception as it was indoctrination. I was raised in the Christian faith, knew it my whole life. Did self deception play a part in my Christianity? Probably, yes. There was a lot I didn't examine while I was in the church, for any number of reasons (usually I wrote off skepticism as a waste of time, and I'm kicking myself for that close minded attitude now).

Am I deceived now? Not about Christianity, no. Nothing in the world can convince me of the truth of Christ as laid out in the gospel, the church, scripture, any of it. There is simply too much that tells me the Bible is a cut and paste concoction, the church is inherently corrupt, and Jesus, if he did live at all, was certainly not the messiah he's been made out to be.

Here's the difference between Granite the Xtian and Granite the Christian: my Christian self never looked at my faith objectively. I never examined it, critiqued it, questioned it. I took what I was told, what I learned in parochial school, and ran with it. That's it. Scrutiny is something a lot of Christians aren't taught (for good reason).

Granite the Xtian has looked at his faith from the outside in. And having examined both sides I think the odds of me getting deceived again are pretty slim.

"...any of us have become better people and have a more rational worldview, in our own minds, since we became believers. For you just the opposite has turned out to be true."

If you think being a Christian means you have a more rational way of looking at life...well, more power to you.

"Do not try to make yourself or your experience to be that extraordinary."

Oh, brother. For the last time: I AM NOT A SPECIAL CASE. Okay? Happy? What gave you this idea? Jeremiah, people leave the church all the time. I'm one of many. There's a ton of Xtian websites and material out there. (A lot more than you'd care to think about or check into, I'd wager.) So quit going after me like I'm waving a bloody shirt, or something. I'm trying to figure things out. I wanted to see what TOLers thought of what I'm going through. All right? Last I checked this was still a (somewhat) free country. You don't like this thread and what I have to say, fine. Go somewhere else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.