NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
They will be doing the same thing I will be doing, and that is watching New England beat up the lowly Steelers.

Even if that does happen, at least the Steelers will be the ones playing in their Conference Championship Game this weekend.

Your Cowboys haven't played in a Conference Championship Game since 1995.

Thats 21 seasons without playing in a Conference Championship Game for the Cowboys!!!!

That's pathetic !!!!!!

In those same 21 seasons, the Steelers have played in 7 Conference Championship Games (counting this year's).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Even if that does happen, at least the Steelers will be the ones playing in their Conference Championship Game this weekend.

Your Cowboys haven't played in a Conference Championship Game since 1995.
You know what we say about coming in second in Alabama? Nothing. We wait until the next one.

Anyway, if you need reason for hope in Steeler Nation, remember that Brady has played a lot of weak sisters to get here and his defense has taken on exactly one top tier qb in their last 10 games.

In those same 21 seasons, the Steelers have played in 7 Conference Championship Games (counting this year's).
You've had a better coach and front office for most of that. The Cowboys had a great one, then they had Johnson, and then they had twenty years to figure it out again. :chuckle: Looking pretty good lately though and losing with a rookie qb in a tough game isn't something to hang your head about. It's inspiration.

Notes on QBs:

Rodgers has played 15 playoff games.
9 of those have been on the road.
3 of those 9 have seen him with a qb rating over 100, which is incredible.
4 of those 9 have seen him with a qb rating over 90 and less than 100, which is pro bowl level.
1 of those he was weak (upper 70s).
2 of those he's laid an egg in (50s).

Or, if you're a Falcons fan, 33% of the time on the playoff road he's just going to be too good for you.
44% of the time he's going to be good enough to beat you unless your guy does even better.

Matty?
He's had 6 playoff games.
3 of those have been in the high 60s/low 70s (bad)
1 has been in the low 90s (really good)
2 have been above 100 (incredible, again).

The good news from that spotty, inconsistency? He's progressed. The bad were early. Then 93, 114, 125.

Of course, the first two in that upward progression were in 2012 and it's been a while. The 125 is this year. And this year he's been great.

Jerry Shugart

The only fair way to judge the success or failure of an NFL team is to examine its record during the time of its existence. So let us look at this realistically.

Since their beginning the Steelers have won a championship about once every 14 years.

On the other hand, since their beginning the Cowboys have won a championship every 11 years.

Since their beginning the Steelers have appeared in a championship game every 10 years.

On the other hand, since their beginning the Cowboys have appeared in a championship game every 7 years.

Since their beginning the Cowboys have a winning percentage which will never be matched by the Steelers.

So we can see that the Boys slaughter the lowly Steelers when these teams are measured in a realistic manner. But of course you prefer to live in a fantasy world!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Notes on QBs:

4 of those 9 have seen him with a qb rating over 90 and less than 100, which is pro bowl level.

Along those lines, Denver fans still think Elway is better than Montana. More talent, yes. Better, no. There is a Super Bowl graphic for their appearances and it is just as lopsided.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm rooting for the Steelers. How can anybody that doesn't live in Boston or Providence...or wherever cheer for cheaters?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You know what we say about coming in second in Alabama? Nothing. We wait until the next one.

Same thing in Pittsburgh. If not a Super Bowl victory, then the season was not a success.

With that being said, being in the playoffs almost every year, and flirting with a Super Bowl win is better than being irrelevant every year.

Anyway, if you need reason for hope in Steeler Nation, remember that Brady has played a lot of weak sisters to get here and his defense has taken on exactly one top tier qb in their last 10 games.

I know....but I still don't have a good feeling about the game.

Notes on QBs:

Roethlisberger has played in 19

7 of Roethlisberger's have been on the road.

Roethlisberger has 2 of his 7 over 100 on the road.

4 of those 9 have seen him with a qb rating over 90 and less than 100,

3 of the 7 have seen Roethlisberger with a QB rating over 90 and less than 100

which is pro bowl level.

ok

Roethlisberger has 2 in the 70's

Roethlisberger has none less than 72.5 (which was last week)

Roethlisberger is 13-6 in the postseason, while Rodgers is 10-6

Roethlisberger has 3 Super Bowl appearances with 2 Super Bowl wins, while Rodgers has only 1 of each.

After comparing all these stats, I don't see Rodgers being any more dominant than Roethlisberger on the road, or in the playoffs in general.

However, one stat that gives Rodgers the edge is that he beat Roethlisberger head-to-head in a Super Bowl.

Wouldn't it be nice to see a rematch?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
However, one stat that gives Rodgers the edge is that he beat Roethlisberger head-to-head in a Super Bowl.

Wouldn't it be nice to see a rematch?
We could do worse. I think (and have said) Ben is somehow underrated. A terrific qb, though I'd take Rodger's athleticism and overall game.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
We could do worse. I think (and have said) Ben is somehow underrated. A terrific qb, though I'd take Rodger's athleticism and overall game.

Brady is 6-4 in AFC Championship Games. He left the 2001 game in the 2nd quarter due to injury. So, realistically, he is 5-4.

Roethlisberger is 3-1 in AFC Championship Games, including winning his last 3 in a row.

It's a great matchup, maybe not as hyped as Brady vs. Manning, but when you look at the stats, it's a great matchup.

Both QB's have a combined 51 postseason starts (53 tomorrow), 36 combined postseason wins (37 tomorrow), 9 combined Super Bowl appearances (10 after tomorrow), 6 Super Bowl wins, and 14 combined AFC Championship Game starts (16 tomorrow).

Ironically, this will be only the second time the two have met in the postseason. The first came in the 2004 season.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Brady is 6-4 in AFC Championship Games. He left the 2001 game in the 2nd quarter due to injury. So, realistically, he is 5-4.

Roethlisberger is 3-1 in AFC Championship Games, including winning his last 3 in a row.

It's a great matchup, maybe not as hyped as Brady vs. Manning, but when you look at the stats, it's a great matchup.

Both QB's have a combined 51 postseason starts (53 tomorrow), 36 combined postseason wins (37 tomorrow), 9 combined Super Bowl appearances (10 after tomorrow), 6 Super Bowl wins, and 14 combined AFC Championship Game starts (16 tomorrow).

Ironically, this will be only the second time the two have met in the postseason. The first came in the 2004 season.
It's special, to be sure. I think Ben has never gotten past (with the larger public) the negative impressions he made early. The behavioral issues with women, then the motorcycle incident and then a back handed slap at Cowher after he left, along with a Fat Head commercial that made him look moronic ("Hey people in tv land...) Those combined to turn a lot of casual fans off. He's never recovered in terms of image, and marketing, which could have helped defined and soften the image, was limited because of that. So he's as much a victim of his own mistakes as being surrounded by more market savvy people, like Manning, Brees, and Brady.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's special, to be sure. I think Ben has never gotten past (with the larger public) the negative impressions he made early. The behavioral issues with women, then the motorcycle incident and then a back handed slap at Cowher after he left, along with a Fat Head commercial that made him look moronic ("Hey people in tv land...) Those combined to turn a lot of casual fans off. He's never recovered in terms of image, and marketing, which could have helped defined and soften the image, was limited because of that. So he's as much a victim of his own mistakes as being surrounded by more market savvy people, like Manning, Brees, and Brady.

I agree with everything you said.

Outside of New England, I don't think many people like Brady. Despite his good looks, he left his pregnant girlfriend for a super model, and the spygate, deflategate drama hasn't helped him.

That's kinda why most of America liked Peyton.

I'm surprised with all the stuff I'm reading about Aaron Rodgers and the drama surrounding his relationship with his family.

Putting drama aside, Brady vs. Roethlisberger, hopefully will be fun to watch.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This could be me tomorrow morning:

Ultimate-Steelers-Fan-1.jpg

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Outside of New England, I don't think many people like Brady.
He's more polarizing. In part because of the cheating allegations that have dogged his team and, more recently, him. And partly because of his success, coupled with the super model wife and anything but everyman approach to later marketing. Initially he was very popular. I wonder if you can have his success without the public souring these days. Jordan did, but it was a bit different, we never got to see anything but the winning and the carefully choreographed personality through commercials. By the time anyone realized what an A....type personality he was, Michael was standing at the mic blasting everyone during his HOF acceptance speech. :plain:

Despite his good looks, he left his pregnant girlfriend for a super model, and the spygate, deflategate drama hasn't helped him.
Ah, I forgot the leaving expecting girlfriend FOR said super model. All of that spoiled the whole late round draft pick who never gave up on the dream tap dance, to be sure.

Peyton had so much going for him. He looked like an unassuming guy. He came from a great family. He sounded like Jimmy Stewart's illegitimate love child and was always so self-effacing that it was hard to dislike him. And that from a Bama fan on a Vol qb (shudders).

I'm surprised with all the stuff I'm reading about Aaron Rodgers and the drama surrounding his relationship with his family.
So far it's been kept under wraps and mysterious enough that I don't think most people know what to think about it or him. And he's never been a warm, ingratiating type. I always had the feeling he was more of a good friend to a handful of people who'd swear to his sterling, but who wasn't made to be popular in terms of his personality. Some of his more recent commercial forays though seem loaded with the stuff of moving that perception. He's making light of himself a bit. That can't hurt.

Putting drama aside, Brady vs. Roethlisberger, hopefully will be fun to watch.
Agreed.

If there's a problem with the match up and with just about any SB match up left on the table it's that the faces of each organization just aren't beloved by the public. Ryan is the most obscure qb with his skillset that I can think of...outside of Atlanta no one talks about him or knows much about him. That might be a good thing. He has the most upside of making it to and winning a SB. If Brady wins his fans will demand the anointing and the rest of the country will shrug and wonder what pole they greased and how. If Ben wins it will be big in Pittsburgh, but neither he nor his coach summon warmth beyond the base. If GB wins it would confirm a growing consensus about how great Aaron might be. But if Ryan wins he can really invent himself and at 31 the sky is the limit on his marketing.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Even if Beliechick wasn't behind pulling the fire alarm in the middle of the night at the Steelers hotel, he and the Patriots have cheated so much, the fans feel like they have to contribute to the cheating.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
From the article:

"According to sources, the man pulled an alarm in a stairwell near an exit at the hotel and jumped into a waiting car with two other men and fled the scene, but was quickly apprehended by state police".

I wonder if the man driving the car was white, mid-60's, and wearing a Patriots hoodie?

:think:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
From the article:

"According to sources, the man pulled an alarm in a stairwell near an exit at the hotel and jumped into a waiting car with two other men and fled the scene, but was quickly apprehended by state police".

I wonder if the man driving the car was white, mid-60's, and wearing a Patriots hoodie?

:think:
:rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.