NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

john w

Hall of Fame
You're late...like the Cowboy's rally. :plain: But at least you get to enjoy it for a moment.

And I called against them on the spread, which is the only thing that interests me when my team isn't playing. You should try that. A guy with a coin can do all right staying in the W/L pool.

Don't just be that guy. :nono:

As you recall, I predicted that the Packers would win by 3, with a 30 yards or under field goal, in the last minute, clinching it:
The Pack will win by 3, with a 30 yards or under field goal,by Bing Crosby's grandson, in the last minute, winning it.-saint john W, January 6, 2017

Let the accolades commence...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
But John W called it very early, that Dallas would have no trophy for this season's exemplary effort on their part.
He also called a late season loss for Dallas that didn't happen, but calling against Dallas on the point early wasn't that remarkable. The field is always a much safer bet than a particular team early. Heck, even in his heyday you'd have been smart to call the field over Tiger Woods at the Masters.

And early in the season I noted the problem with going long with a rookie, back when people were wondering if there was a Bledsoe moment in the making, the tendency of opposing defensive coordinators to compile a "book" on the understandably limited options for that young a qb. It's one reason I argued that Romo should have taken over in the last couple of regular season games to warm up then pitched the playoffs, so to speak. Nothing against Dak, but you don't leave your better qb on the bench. Play him with Romo hurt and mending? Sure. Keep him playing to minimize the chance of Tony getting hurt before the playoffs? Absolutely. Keep him for the run? Well, no. Denver understood the value of experience even when Manning was a shell of himself.

Anyway, guys who play the line look at guys who call at thing straight up like kids who don't use training wheels to ride their bikes look at their friends who do. :D

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
But John W called it very early, that Dallas would have no trophy for this season's exemplary effort on their part.

When a team only wins 2 playoff games in 20 years, it's not that hard to predict that they would choke once again.

Since the current playoff format that began in 1990, only 5 times in the NFC has the #1 seed lost in the Divisional round. The Dallas Cowboys have done it twice.

john w

Hall of Fame
He also called a late season loss for Dallas that didn't happen, but calling against Dallas on the point early wasn't that remarkable. The field is always a much safer bet than a particular team early. Heck, even in his heyday you'd have been smart to call the field over Tiger Woods at the Masters.

The Pack will win by 3, with a 30 yards or under field goal,by Bing Crosby's grandson, in the last minute, winning it.-saint john W, January 6, 2017
And the winning field goal will be set up by a spectacular throw by ARog, on a 4th and Green Bay, in the last 19 seconds.-saint John W January 6, 2017

john w

Hall of Fame
When a team only wins 2 playoff games in 20 years, it's not that hard to predict that they would choke once again.

Since the current playoff format that began in 1990, only 5 times in the NFC has the #1 seed lost in the Divisional round. The Dallas Cowboys have done it twice.
And when a poser, like little arms Craigie, is "right" on TOL, only once in 5 years, on average, on TOL, it's not that hard to predict that they would be right, once in awhile, again.

So there, little arms one.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And when a poser, like little arms Craigie, is "right" on TOL, only once in 5 years, on average, on TOL, it's not that hard to predict that they would be right, once in awhile, again.

So there, little arms one.

I think it's hilarious that you are now making up fake quotes from yourself. You used to limit your fake quotes to just others.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Not the same thing. If Houston could have played Manning on Saturday, they would have.
It's not far removed. They were winning with Manning on the bench. But again, a rookie qb, even one playing great ball, is more limited than a veteran with skill.

Prescott can win.
Absolutely. But at this point he's still the second best qb on the roster.

That's pretty apparent.
Difference between a high school diploma and a Masters...lawn darts and real darts...a Christmas tree and whatever is on fire at clefty's place. :plain:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
It's not far removed. They were winning with Manning on the bench. But again, a rookie qb, even one playing great ball, is more limited than a veteran with skill.
Ceterus paribus, sure. I wish him all the best, but Osweiler is no Prescott, and anybody who could play Manning, even a limping hobbled Manning, over Osweiler, would. 'Not the same thing with Prescott and Romo.
Absolutely. But at this point he's still the second best qb on the roster.
I saw no difference between what Prescott did, and what Romo could have done, against GB. I don't think Romo would have won the game either.
Difference between a high school diploma and a Masters.
Again, your attitude is apparent.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ceterus paribus, sure. I wish him all the best, but Osweiler is no Prescott,
Agreed, but Romo at this point is about that much better than Manning at that stage too. There are some things that Tony can't do that Dak can do, but it's mostly as a runner. And Dak doesn't have Tony's grasp of defenses and responses yet, which is no slight. He hasn't played long enough to.

and anybody who could play Manning, even a limping hobbled Manning, over Osweiler, would. 'Not the same thing with Prescott and Romo.
Close enough. You have someone on the bench who has more dimensions to his game. Brock had played well enough to contribute to the win. He had more physical gifts, but there's something to be said for that experience and the knowledge it brings.

I saw no difference between what Prescott did, and what Romo could have done, against GB.
I think you're mistaken, but largely the distinction is knowing what to do in each situation. Tony has at least as live an arm and that level of calm and experience that you just can't expect from a rookie. Dak's early performance was tight and I think it took a while for him to step out of the moment's gravitas. Once he did he was terrific, but by then he had a hole to deal with. Romo wouldn't have had that problem and GB wouldn't have been as likely to put up that lead.

I don't think Romo would have won the game either.
To me that's saying experience doesn't matter and I think you're wrong on the point, but that's the fun of arguing football.

Again, your attitude is apparent.
You know, I thought you might have been taking that more seriously than I did. And by more I mean seriously. :) John and I have been tweaking back and forth a bit.

That said, as someone who yearly predicts by line and straight up over at ESPN, I can tell you that many more people play the latter, because it's easier. And every year I'm an average of two to three games better straight up for that very reason.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Agreed, but Romo at this point is about that much better than Manning at that stage too. There are some things that Tony can't do that Dak can do, but it's mostly as a runner. And Dak doesn't have Tony's grasp of defenses and responses yet, which is no slight. He hasn't played long enough to.

Close enough. You have someone on the bench who has more dimensions to his game. Brock had played well enough to contribute to the win. He had more physical gifts, but there's something to be said for that experience and the knowledge it brings.

I think you're mistaken, but largely the distinction is knowing what to do in each situation. Tony has at least as live an arm and that level of calm and experience that you just can't expect from a rookie. Dak's early performance was tight and I think it took a while for him to step out of the moment's gravitas. Once he did he was terrific, but by then he had a hole to deal with. Romo wouldn't have had that problem and GB wouldn't have been as likely to put up that lead.

To me that's saying experience doesn't matter and I think you're wrong on the point, but that's the fun of arguing football.
How would you include experience in a multivariate model to estimate its independent (ceterus paribus) explaining power, in determining between choosing to play Romo or Dak, and how do you not confound that variable with your own personal opinion, where Romo's years of experience is aliased with your preference for Romo?
You know, I thought you might have been taking that more seriously than I did. And by more I mean seriously. :) John and I have been tweaking back and forth a bit.

That said, as someone who yearly predicts by line and straight up over at ESPN, I can tell you that many more people play the latter, because it's easier. And every year I'm an average of two to three games better straight up for that very reason.
I believe you.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Montreal Canadiens won 24 championships

Most of those championships came when the NHL only had 6 teams. Dynasties are a lot easier when there are 6 teams, and not 32 teams.

and the New York Yankees won 27.

Because they have had more money than any other team.

In comparison, nobody is a pro football dynasty yet.

Since 2001, the Patriots have been as dominate as any team ever has, yet they have only won 4 championships. The Steelers won 4 in 6 years.

So, with the salary cap, free agency, and 32 teams, I don't see any NFL team ever being as dominate as the Yankees and Canadians.

You left out the Celtics of the 60's. IMO, that was the most domination ever in pro sports by any team.

Status
Not open for further replies.