NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Shugart

OK, sports fans:

New England -7
Baltimore

This should be interesting with Gronk out. Nevertheless, I will take New England -7.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes, Brady is a great Quarterback, maybe the best to ever play in the NFL.
He's up there. In my top five.

It sort of depends on what you're looking for...when he won the rings that started the conversation he was really good, but not great. That came later. For a stretch I'd take Peyton in this generation, but you can't go wrong with either.

The best of all time is an easy pick for me, though my pick never played for my team or even my side of the NFL coin (I'm an AFC guy). Joe Montana. Went to 4, won 4. Great under pressure and played before the rules started cranking out 4,000 yd hurlers like a Pez dispenser.

Speaking of opinions. I almost forgot tonight's game.

Oak @ KC:

A quick look has me taking KC to win. I'm a little nervous about the spread. KC is a 3.5 fav. The differential is 2.5, but my model has them winning anywhere from 3 to 6. So I'm going to take a chance and pick the Chiefs at home to keep their playoff/division quest going.

Daniel1769

I'm picking Baltimore to upset New England. I hope it doesn't happen because I need Baltimore to lose the rest so my Steelers can take the division. I think missing Gronk is going to hurt them against a solid Baltimore defense.

Jerry Shugart

I'm picking Baltimore to upset New England. I hope it doesn't happen because I need Baltimore to lose the rest so my Steelers can take the division. I think missing Gronk is going to hurt them against a solid Baltimore defense.

Sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Oak @ KC:

A quick look has me taking KC to win. I'm a little nervous about the spread. KC is a 3.5 fav. The differential is 2.5, but my model has them winning anywhere from 3 to 6. So I'm going to take a chance and pick the Chiefs at home to keep their playoff/division quest going.
So they won by one more point at the margin. Okay. I can live with that. For some reason, the money was running 2 to 1 in favor of Oakland...well, it isn't hard to see why. I think being good is still too new to them and they got jumpy in a game of magnitude that they really should have won. Anyway, it's a good 1-0 :D start to the prognosticating weekend. So thanks to the Chiefs for getting it done, mostly.

While I'm thinking of it, apologies to Jerry for the Steelers/Giants pick. The Steelers followed my model, but the Giants underperformed. I hate games right at the edge of the differential. They're feast or famine.

Now on to this week. Let's see what's interesting.

Speak of the devil...

2. Pit @ Buf: the Steelers are a measly 1.5 pick'em favorite, so once again they're trying to kill me. At home I'd have them a 1 pt favorite and sweat bullets over the half point. Here I like Buffalo by 2 so that's 3.5 the other way, which almost makes me comfortable calling this one for Buffalo...the problem I have with the numbers is that Buffalo has put up too many against the teams you'd expect them to beat and looked anemic against teams you'd expect to test them, while Pittsburgh has surprised me to the good once or twice. I'm going to spit in the eye of my model and take the Steelers for the incremental upset.

3. Chi @ Det: just when the Bears are a team to count on they go and put in a question mark at qb and skew the pooch, to stretch it. The Lions are an 8.5 favorite in the game...can anyone remember the last time that happened? The new guy is the wild card, but the diff is at 10.5 and I'm at 10. I'll take the Lions.

4. Cin @ Cle: the Browns jump back into the fray this week rested, ready, and still god-awful as football teams go. How they failed to lose the bye is anyone's guess. If anyone was made to salve the wounds of Bengals' fans (assuming that's possible) it's the heart breaking apple of the Dog Pile's eye...Okay, Pound, as in what any team with a will and a pulse will do to Cleveland in their march for an unvarnished 0-16 debacle and a chance to nab and ruin yet another prospective NFL quarter back.

What? The game? Take Cin and any points. The line is Cin and 6.5. It's actually right at the differential again, but the Bengals have lost close games to good competition before finding their feet against Philly last week. Cleveland lost to the Jests.

5. Den @ Ten: Denver is a .5 favorite, if you can say half a point favors anything other than the bookies drawing vig. This is going to be one of those weeks, isn't it...okay, the sad news for Bronco's fans is that your offense is appreciably better than it was in your SB run and your defense is playing top flight football, but your division is arguably the most competitive in the NFL at present. Oakland, KC, even SD can beat you on a given. The rested Titans are an improving team with a franchise qb in the making.

The diff is actually the line here, again. Half a point and on the road. I have the Titans winning it on paper, but I'm going to take Denver anyway, because the Titans have lost half their home games and because the team that surprised with pinball numbers against Green Bay and lost a shoot out with SD struggled to find the end zone a week later against my Colts, a team whose defense isn't scaring anyone. Denver.

6. Hou @ Indy: kill me. The line is again at the diff, with Indy favored by 6.5. But Luck is bruised and still on the questionable list. If he was hale and hearty I'd take the pts. I have that Indy ahead by as much as 8. Without Luck? They're a dog. I wouldn't bet this one if I bet, without knowing who is going to be under center and in what condition. For now, I'll take the Colts.

7. Arz @ Mia: another pick'em with the Fins a 1.5 fav. I suppose it depends on which aberration you're willing to invest in from last week. Arizona reminded everyone why they were once NFC contenders while bringing Washington to heel, while the Dolphins came undone against an improving and dangerous Ravens team. Miami has a nasty habit of rising toward the middle before settling back into respectable mediocrity late and the Cardinals have more talent on both sides of the ball. I'm taking Arizona to win outright because someone has to and I don't trust the brain trust in South Beach.

8. Min @ Jac: the Vikings are in need and here comes Jacksonville, a mere 3.5 dog. Mostly that's because the talented Jags play close to their opponents. They've been in each of the last five games, losing by 5-3-7-6-and10. None real blow outs. None victories. Minnesota is one up in that department but otherwise you could say the same. That said, they should make that line or just pack it in. I'll take Minnesota on a hunch.

And now it's late. I'll try to get to the back of the order before game day, if possible. :cheers:

Daniel1769

Sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place.

I think the steelers will make the playoffs. And if not, at least my fantasy team is doing great. Sitting at 10-3 and #1 seed heading into the last week of the fantasy regular season. Although I didn't play Tyreek Hill this week, and that's haunting me.

Jerry Shugart

While I'm thinking of it, apologies to Jerry for the Steelers/Giants pick. The Steelers followed my model, but the Giants underperformed. I hate games right at the edge of the differential. They're feast or famine.

No need to apologize because I couldn't be any more pleased with the result of that game. Which way will you be going here:

Dallas -3
NY Giants

The Boys just finished up a grueling eleven day stretch where they played three games. They should be good and rested up for New York and they are a great road team. So I will pick the Cowboys.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No need to apologize because I couldn't be any more pleased with the result of that game.
Thought you might be. There's a lot of middling parity in the NFL at present which is bunching things a bit. I don't have a single team that's on the SB tier. No dominant team out there, though I have a handful that are moving in that direction.

Seattle is atop my rankings at present, though I'll be interested in the shake out from their injuries on defense.
New England is within 3 up or down, with Dal a pt back.

After that there's a bunch within striking (a fg) distance, where home field makes the difference between a coin flip and six pts.

Or, where 30 is SB caliber, 18-21 is a decent to better team, 22-24 is playoff bubble contenders and 25-29 is solid playoff caliber to SB bubble sitters, I have it:

30+: 0
25-29: 3 (Sea, NE, Dal
22-24: 8
18-21: 14
0-15: 7

That's a recipe for close games. Unusual bunching this late.

Which way will you be going here:

Dallas -3
NY Giants
I don't like that Lawrence, Scandrick and Crawford are questionable going in. That's serious pressure missing on defense. The line at ESPN is 2.5.

Dallas had their hands full against a strong defense with little offensive help in Min. The Giants are another defensive test and a better offense...though Eli and company didn't look very good against Pittsburgh and have put up pts against a thin competition in that regard.

I like this one to be a fg to five pt game with Dallas coming out on top. The wild card here is defensive injuries for the Boys and Eli's ability to get on a roll late when it matters.

The Boys just finished up a grueling eleven day stretch where they played three games. They should be good and rested up for New York and they are a great road team. So I will pick the Cowboys
I'm standing shoulder to nervous shoulder with you. This one should be close...the G-men should play the run strong which means it can't be a Dak does this or that while Eliot piles up yards. I'll take the Cowboys by 3 to 6 and hope Eli doesn't get enough time to make a statement.

Jerry Shugart

OK, sports fans. Which way do you go here?:

Seattle -3
Green Bay

I think that the Seahawks are ripe for an upset so I will take the Packers plus the three points.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
OK, sports fans. Which way do you go here?:

Seattle -3
Green Bay

I think that the Seahawks are ripe for an upset so I will take the Packers plus the three points.
Meant to get back to this.

The Dallas game is working out close, as I thought, but the Cowboys should already be tied and playing for the win. Dak has let them down tonight, so far.

Okay, a recap else.

I went 4-4 through the first 8, with Denver being the only one that surprised me. A lot of close games this week.

I took Washington over the floundering Eagles to go 5-4, then lost another when SD ran into an ego bruised Carolina team playing to make up with fans and at home. to go even again at 5-5.

The Jests, Packers and Falcons helped me right the ship to go up 8-5. Tampa pushed me closer to respectability at 9-5.

If Dallas wins I hit 10 and I can live with another pretty good week, all things considered, with a chance for more still should the Ravens find a way to keep NE close tomorrow night. If the Boys can't manage it I'll need tomorrow night for my 10.

Time to check scores.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, the Dallas D kept Eli in check, but the G-men limited the effectiveness of Elliott and put the onus on Dak, as expected. . . and a really good defense confused the rookie and kept him from running. This is my fear for the playoffs with Dallas.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Boys just finished up a grueling eleven day stretch where they played three games. They should be good and rested up for New York and they are a great road team. So I will pick the Cowboys.

Your Boys lost.

And, Big Ben's record still stands. Dak Prescott was not able to beat Big Ben's rookie QB win streak.

As usual Jerry, the Cowboys are always chasing the Steeler's records, and come up short every time !!!!

Do you think your Cowboys will win a post-season game this year?

P.S. You do know that Chuck Howley, Mike Ditka, and Tony Dorsett are from Pittsburgh?

Jerry Shugart

Your Boys lost.

We want Romo! We want Romo!

And, Big Ben's record still stands. Dak Prescott was not able to beat Big Ben's rookie QB win streak.

Pittsburg will never even come close to beating the record of twenty consecutive winning seasons set by the Boys.

As usual Jerry, the Cowboys are always chasing the Steeler's records, and come up short every time !!!!

No Steeler will ever come close to matching Emmitt Smith's all-time rushing record.

Do you think your Cowboys will win a post-season game this year?

With Romo we win the Super Bowl!

Jerry Shugart

Well, the Dallas D kept Eli in check, but the G-men limited the effectiveness of Elliott and put the onus on Dak, as expected. . . and a really good defense confused the rookie and kept him from running. This is my fear for the playoffs with Dallas.

We want Romo! We want Romo!

Status
Not open for further replies.