NFL 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Has a conference championship ever been between 5 and 6 seeds?

I was wondering that myself the other day.

I checked, and it has never happened.

The closest it has ever come was #4 seed Arizona hosting #6 seed Philadelphia in the 2008 NFC Championship.

I think you and I would both be really happy to see Pittsburgh at Kansas City next week.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I was wondering that myself the other day.

I checked, and it has never happened.

The closest it has ever come was #4 seed Arizona hosting #6 seed Philadelphia in the 2008 NFC Championship.
Hmm, interesting. :think:

I think you and I would both be really happy to see Pittsburgh at Kansas City next week.
Yep. :banana:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I know TH doesn't like this, but Peyton is literally the Steelers only hope.
No, it would have to be. You have to be hoping the foot fails or at least keeps him from being able to step through. If he can't do that he'll be a liability--though that would bring a pretty good relief from the bench. Still, I can see it and from that angle it's fine. . .

But, to believe what Tet does about Peyton is another thing, is to believe that he's a poor playoff qb and ignore two trips to the SB and a ring. It's to be unable to really explain how Peyton threw for a 5 td win over the Broncos in 05, posting the highest possible playoff game rating at his position. Or how he almost duplicated that perfection the next year.

In fact, you have to ignore that even with the injured, disasterous SB performance of last year averaged in, his rating at the position he plays is .5 behind Tom Brady. You have to not think about what that actually says about Manning, among other things.

I hope he's healthy enough to put the Steelers out of their misery and make a last run at another ring. Looked like he might be last time around, but time will tell if he can hold up long enough to manage it.

:e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
They're extremely banged up but some teams play through injury better than others. If Peyton was vintage Peyton, I'd say your guys were doomed. They still have more than a chance.
He's the question mark, to be certain. Your guys...I know there's a similar, injury influenced concern and the Chiefs have looked really good of late, but they're still on the road and they're still carrying an "I think I can" attitude into a team with a "Know we can" premise.

I wouldn't underestimate the value of that.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
his rating at the position he plays is .5 behind Tom Brady.

It's more than numbers TH

Throwing a crucial Pick-6 while trying to lead your team on a game tying drive in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl is something the great QB's have never done in the Super Bowl.

Think of Montana with his winning drive against the Bengals.

Think of Brady with his winning drive against the Rams.

Think of Roethlisberger with his winning drive against the Cardinals.

Peyton Manning has never done anything close, and in fact has done the opposite in Super Bowls.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's more than numbers TH
It really isn't. It's just your focus. Numbers won't tell you when a wr drops a meaningful pass or how a defense failed to keep a game won. But on the whole, they will tell you how an individual performed his job, even if the why isn't always clear.

No one accidentally has the highest possible rating for a playoff game, by way or...you'll have to look down ten spots or so to find Ben's best game. Look down even further and after Manning's second best game to find Brady's best.

Or, look at the top fifty single game playoff performances and you find:

Peyton: 158.3 (1st), 145.7 (17), 138.7 (32)
Brady: 141.4 (29), 137.6 (33)

And that would be the whole list of multiple best game qbs still playing, though a few have one in that number, like Ben and Eli and Rivers, Romo, Wilson.

Throwing a crucial Pick-6 while trying to lead your team on a game tying drive in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl is something the great QB's have never done in the Super Bowl.
So you're saying Peyton didn't throw one or are you drawing a circle and confusing it with a legitimate argument?

It's just a goofy approach. Like suggesting a qb bringing in the most impressive offensive output in a season, then managing one td with it when it matters means he (Brady) choked. Of course he didn't.

And if Brady's Hail Mary pass to end his second SB loss to the Giants had been picked off instead of swatted down? We wouldn't be hearing you even make this pointless attempt.

Think of Montana with his winning drive against the Bengals.
Best qb I've ever seen. But if you're trying to match him then there's only one great qb in the history of the game. And that's nuts.

Did you know that Peyton has the most fourth quarter victories of all time? Six more than Brady. Not sure what that really has to do with anything. Maybe it's all where you focus and why.

Think of Brady with his winning drive against the Rams.
End zone or another kicker final?

Think of Roethlisberger with his winning drive against the Cardinals.
Think of his first SB. He was horrible. Focus can distort, which is why averages tell a larger and more complete story.

Peyton Manning has never done anything close, and in fact has done the opposite in Super Bowls.
Where I'd say Peyton won his ring (and MVP) by more points than Brady won his first three. Or, I don't know why you bought into a media created, myopic bit of nonsense or feel compelled to bring it up over and over, while failing to respond to repeated rebuttal on the facts, but so long as you do and I'm here I'll be correcting you on the point.

So...

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Peyton Manning is 0-5 all-time in the postseason when the temperature is 40 degrees or less at kickoff

The temperature at kickoff tomorrow is forecasted to be 35 degrees

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Peyton Manning is 0-5 all-time in the postseason when the temperature is 40 degrees or less at kickoff

The temperature at kickoff tomorrow is forecasted to be 35 degrees
Curious taking the smaller sampling. In point of fact, the cold weather myth has already been addressed and rebutted by others. It needs updating, but the charge was already in play and here was how it stood going into 2014 according to SB Nation:

In Peyton Manning's last 8 games under these (40 and below) weather conditions, he had a streak of 7 straight games where he completed at least 70% of his passes. In fact, here are his numbers through those 8 games:

177-243 (72.8%), 2129 yards (8.8), 17/10, 105.5 QB Rating

This is not the production of a weak-armed choker who folds in cold weather. His record during that stretch? 4-4. It's a team game folks. During that stretch, his offenses averaged 26.5 points per game. That would be good enough to win under most circumstances. That average when compared to scoring this year would rank that team 6th in the league."​

Or, as I've noted about most of his playoff losses, inferior defensive play is a killer for a team. Ask Rivers. Ask Stafford. Ask Eli. 9th, 12th and 13th highest rated qbs this year.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Meanwhile, an interesting first quarter in NE. Despite poor offensive play the Chiefs are in the game trailing 3-7 as we enter the second quarter.

Chiefs' ball.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
About the best cold weather qbs in NFL history. Football Nation took a look at it. Here they are at playoff strength and below 40 degrees with a minimum of games in that weather:

Tom Brady: 16-1
Drew Bledsoe: 12-3
Bart Starr: 15-4
Terry Bradshaw: 14-4
Brett Favre: 35-12
John Elway: 14-5
Ben Roethlisberger: 11-4
Jim Kelly: 15-7

Playoffs under 40 degrees going into last year:

Tom Brady: 7-0
Bart Starr: 5-0
Terry Bradshaw: 5-0
John Elway: 3-0
Donovan McNabb: 6-1
Fran Tarkenton: 4-1
Ben Roethlisberger: 3-1
Bernie Kosar: 2-1
Joe Kapp: 2-1
Neil O'Donnell: 2-1
Phil Simms: 2-1

Or, only quarterbacks who play in cold weather consistently perform consistently well in it come playoff time. Not that surprising.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Not so fast. You're in a hole, but if your qb keeps making those sort of throws this will be a ballgame before it's done. A td on this drive changes things.

That TD is a step in the right direction. Now we need a good defensive stop like we had in the first half.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Playoffs under 40 degrees going into last year:

Tom Brady: 7-0
Bart Starr: 5-0
Terry Bradshaw: 5-0
John Elway: 3-0
Donovan McNabb: 6-1
Fran Tarkenton: 4-1
Ben Roethlisberger: 3-1
Bernie Kosar: 2-1
Joe Kapp: 2-1
Neil O'Donnell: 2-1
Phil Simms: 2-1

Yep

Peyton Manning is 0-5 on that list.

Peyton has never won a post-season game when the temperature is below 40 degrees.

He has a chance to redeem himself tomorrow.

Notice that Brady, Bradshaw, and Starr are 17-0 combined (which is why they have 13 Championships amongst themselves, and Peyton has 1)

Granite

Hall of Fame
:cheers: Just couldn't stop Brady.

I normally don't root for the team that knocks my team out of the playoffs but if Denver beats a busted up Pittsburgh team like I think they will I'll be rooting for NE next week.

Yeah, I said a few weeks ago Peyton v. Tom one more time seemed inevitable. I'm still thinking so.

I hope not.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Not to rub it in--because I like kmo--but why did the announcers sound so baffled by the poor KC clock management?

I've seen this before: An Andy Reid coached team in a playoff game freezes near the end and wastes tons of precious time. Their last drive didn't really faze me--it was game over if they scored or not. They wasted too much time to realistically come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.