NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
http://nesn.com/2015/01/report-patriots-used-ref-approved-backup-balls-in-second-half-vs-colts/

So if anything this narrows down the timeline of when the game balls considered questionable were being used.

Yeah, practically speaking this isn't much of a story. Deflated balls can't account for 38 points, especially when it was only half of the game. This is still frustrating though. I like and root for Brady and Belichick but this hurts that a bit. Why did they even feel the need to mess with the balls? They handily beat Indy earlier in the season and Brady has dealt with bad weather before. :doh:

I'm certainly still rooting for NE but I just won't have quite as much fun while doing it. :chuckle:

Also, :mock: NFL refs for not noticing anything on their own. They have contact with the footballs after every play!

Has there been a conspiracy about Bill paying off the refs? :eek:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Also, :mock: NFL refs for not noticing anything on their own. They have contact with the footballs after every play!
I wonder why either team would have anything to do with preparing the footballs. Why doesn't the NFL handle that? :idunno:

Daniel1611

This year the Patriots have a chance to play for their 0th Super Bowl. These cheaters have never actually won a Super Bowl and won't really win one this year even if they end up with the higher score.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I wonder why either team would have anything to do with preparing the footballs. Why doesn't the NFL handle that? :idunno:
See that was what hit me off the top. I had no idea the teams took care of their own. Seems like it invites temptation. Strange.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

I think they leave some responsibility with the teams so they can prepare the footballs to the QB's liking because QB's get used to a certain style (apparently Eli Manning has an extensive process for his). There are just broad guidelines, inflation might be the only hard rule, not sure. But I wouldn't be surprised if that changes going forward.

On a side note, I believe the NFL does handle it all for the Super Bowl so there won't be a concern when NE plays Seattle.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yeah, practically speaking this isn't much of a story. Deflated balls can't account for 38 points, especially when it was only half of the game.
But what if the rain was more problematic early, when you're getting an offensive rhythm or when you're jumping out to a 17 point lead that changes the game plan of the other team and puts you in the easy driver's seat. :idunno:

I'm certainly still rooting for NE but I just won't have quite as much fun while doing it. :chuckle:
I'm not going to be rooting for much more than a competitive game this time around. I like parts of both teams and have a problem with both on one or two points. I don't pull NFC, but I won't be upset either way.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
See that was what hit me off the top. I had no idea the teams took care of their own. Seems like it invites temptation. Strange.

Same here.

Though, if the refs pay more attention perhaps they can continue to let the teams prepare the balls. Or maybe they could do a check on the balls between quarters or at least at halftime. It can't take long to check the PSI and they only need one ball on the field at a time so they could be checking balls even during drives. :idunno:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
they hate belichick
because he wins
or
because their team loses
maybe their quarterback is overpaid like mine
maybe their wide receiver is overpaid like mine
maybe their defensive lineman is overpaid like mine
maybe the other players think they are underpaid

the team is going to make the difference
especially in the playoffs
playoffs?
it takes a team to win in the playoffs

Granite

Hall of Fame
Short and sweet, although given Belichick's attitude towards the press this must've been close to his own personal version of hell.

Complete denial. So...if it comes out Belichick honestly had no clue, it won't shut the haters up. But he was emphatic and didn't even bother speculating as to how it happened.

The focus will probably shift to our golden boy number twelve...

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
we get tom tomorrow

I knew belichick was hated
but
I didn't know how widespread it was

don't hate him because he wins

Granite

Hall of Fame
we get tom tomorrow

I knew belichick was hated
but
I didn't know how widespread it was

don't hate him because he wins

Oh, absolutely. Pats fans have thrived on that hatred for a long time. In a very real way, we're aware we root for the bad guys of the league.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think the Pats are far more hated than that Pistons group ever was.
It's odd considering the positive rep and feeling they got after that first SB. But that's the public, give them a hint of taint and the idol becomes a dart board.

Looks like eyes are turning to Brady now, who, it goes, as a former NFL qb on ESPN noted, both is on record as preferring less tightly inflated balls and should have noticed the difference.

Brady in the cross hairs? :shocked: Cue some shmuck in equipment standing by with a sword to fall on. :chuckle;

Granite

Hall of Fame
It's odd considering the positive rep and feeling they got after that first SB. But that's the public, give them a hint of taint and the idol becomes a dart board.

Looks like eyes are turning to Brady now, who, it goes, as a former NFL qb on ESPN noted, both is on record as preferring less tightly inflated balls and should have noticed the difference.

Brady in the cross hairs? :shocked: Cue some shmuck in equipment standing by with a sword to fall on. :chuckle;

Short of a smoking gun, what can the league do here? Fine the team for something people suspect them of doing? How happy would 31 other owners be if this happened?

Brady's smooth as they come. If anyone can handle the media gauntlet and come out looking aces, it's him.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Short of a smoking gun, what can the league do here? Fine the team for something people suspect them of doing? How happy would 31 other owners be if this happened?

Brady's smooth as they come. If anyone can handle the media gauntlet and come out looking aces, it's him.
The crazy thing is that this runs the risk, as Mark Brunell articulated, of tainting his legacy, instead of heaping more coals on the head of his coach who has taken by and large all of the negativity that's associated with the Pats. A coach that seemed to throw his qb under the bus in his press conference on the point.

If you get caught cheating, no matter how you spin it, it skews perception. Even more so given the larger jaundiced eye being turned on New England since spy-gate. This could finally reach him, especially given he has publicly stated his preference for (meaning he can tell) underinflated footballs.

And if it does it would be a tragedy, because while anyone who says an argument should be made that he's the best ever is either high or or a homer, he's still among the top qbs of his and any generation. And he'd have been that regardless. How high on that list? That's where this sort of thing, given his reputation rides on games decided by fairly slim margins, can impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.