New atheist here

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddevonb

There are times when I use google to search theologyonline. As an example if I wanted to find a thread on calvanisim, I would type "theologyonline calvanisim" into the search window. sometimes it works pretty well.

It works even better if you spell it Calvinism. :)

ddevonb

All right I'm getting confused. Some Christians are saying welcome and others are saying I'm a loser and they would be happy to see me leave. What's an atheist to do ;)

I see no conflict.

You are welcome if you behave.

You're a loser because you're an atheist.

If you misbehave, i'm happy to see you leave.

I hope that clears things up for you.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No. I think you are trying to ask about something that doesn't' matter to me. If it is an attempt to try and make me look stupid, I don't care. I'm not here to prove myself, so if to you it seems like the question needs to be dumbed down, than please do.
Obviously, it isn't important to you. I took a survey on some software that I used and didn't find useful. It didn't matter to me, but I thought it would make the world a better place if they could get a clue from my answers and make better software.

So you are afraid I'm trying to make you look stupid? Your obfuscation is the only thing that is making you look bad. And I'm not trying to make you look stupid. In fact, your answer, I'm pretty sure, will tend to make some other Christians look stupid. Or, you could tend to make me look stupid. Either way you answer, you won't look stupid but some Christians will.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Shibby

I'm not trying to be disrespectful or make things difficult. I simply don't understand what you are trying to ask. Maybe it's some of the vocabulary you are using I'm not use to...

Shibby

Slogan/motto:
To challenge Christians until I become a Christian or the Christian becomes hostile.

I really doubt that you really open to any evidence that God is real.
]

It may seem like an impossible task, but if something presented to me was convincing enough I wouldn't deny being convinced.

GuySmiley

I'm not trying to be disrespectful or make things difficult. I simply don't understand what you are trying to ask. Maybe it's some of the vocabulary you are using I'm not use to...
You said you were raised Christian. I think he's asking you when you believed in God, did you believe God knew the future exhaustively. I think your answer is that you never did believe in God. You were raised Christian, but never believed it. Right? Or maybe that you were too young to have any thoughts about whether or not God knew the future or not?

Shibby

You said you were raised Christian. I think he's asking you when you believed in God, did you believe God knew the future exhaustively. I think your answer is that you never did believe in God. You were raised Christian, but never believed it. Right? Or maybe that you were too young to have any thoughts about whether or not God knew the future or not?

When I was young I didn't think that deeply about. I just went through the motions. As I got older and started thinking about it, my thoughts weren't about the extensiveness of god. They were about why do I believe in god at all. I tried to figure out where I imagined him to be and where his powers lay. But those questions weren't my questions, so they didn't give me my answers. I think as people we try to hard to take the paths that others found successful. I gave it a look but, as I said previously, I quickly found that I wasn't getting my answers. I then started to ask myself what makes me happy and didn't spend any more time on the relevance of religion.

Shibby

Slogan/motto:
To challenge Christians until I become a Christian or the Christian becomes hostile.

While I don't doubt your willingness to challenge Christians, I really doubt that you really open to any evidence that God is real.

If you are, I challenge you to read the debate "Does God exist?"

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7709

Man that was a lot of nothing to get a few highlights, from both sides (Why I believe Zakath found better things to do with his time). A debate like this only strengthens my atheism. Not because I agree or disagree with either side. It comes down to the theists claim that our enormous intelligence, on the many of very difficult subjects, is not enough information to look to science for some if any answers; but it is perfectly ok to take the words of one book primarily on faith.

Agape4Robin

Man that was a lot of nothing to get a few highlights, from both sides (Why I believe Zakath found better things to do with his time). A debate like this only strengthens my atheism. Not because I agree or disagree with either side. It comes down to the theists claim that our enormous intelligence, on the many of very difficult subjects, is not enough information to look to science for some if any answers; but it is perfectly ok to take the words of one book primarily on faith.
That's why it's called "faith", genius. :rolleyes: Takes just as much faith to believe that there is no God as it does to believe that there is. :thumb:

Shibby

That's why it's called "faith", genius. :rolleyes: Takes just as much faith to believe that there is no God as it does to believe that there is. :thumb:

It doesn't take faith, to not believe something.

^and I will go ahead and submit myself to being unintelligent or stupid or what ever other witty things one wants to imply for their personal reassurance in their faith to tear up one true, simple statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.