New atheist here

Status
Not open for further replies.

assuranceagent

There are times when I use google to search theologyonline. As an example if I wanted to find a thread on calvanisim, I would type "theologyonline calvanisim" into the search window. sometimes it works pretty well.

Can't help but think you might get stronger results were you to spell it with an 'i'.

:chuckle: ;)

Shibby

So far it has been very interesting and very entertaining. To give an example, Dawkins board to me is very interesting in an text book way (not trying to imply anything) where here it is very interesting in a sociology way.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So far it has been very interesting and very entertaining. To give an example, Dawkins board to me is very interesting in an text book way (not trying to imply anything) where here it is very interesting in a sociology way.

You're from Dawkin's board?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Strong. I have a lot of discussions with a strong christian at work. At this time I am looking for analysis of biblical prophecies.

Is the search button a sub category or is it called something else?

Sounds like you know very little about God.

:thumb: Welcome to the discussion.

Shibby

Sounds like you know very little about God.

:thumb: Welcome to the discussion.

All right I'm getting confused. Some Christians are saying welcome and others are saying I'm a loser and they would be happy to see me leave. What's an atheist to do ;)

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I guess I kind of imagine him within our atmosphere but in a different plane of existence. I now know that I tried to think of him only because it was expected of me, not because I believed.
So is this a yes or a no?

Shibby

So is this a yes or a no?

It's a no. I went through the motions of saying I believed, but I never did. The reason I ever tried to view God the way I did was an attempt to try and convince myself I believed. I felt I needed to believe because of the fear mongering I experienced.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's a no. I went through the motions of saying I believed, but I never did. The reason I ever tried to view God the way I did was an attempt to try and convince myself I believed. I felt I needed to believe because of the fear mongering I experienced.
Oh. What I mean is this: your concept of the Christian God (in this case how you understand Christians see God); is it a God that knows the future exhaustively?

For instance, would you say "Christianity is stupid, look at all the evil God says He doesn't like but ordained to happen!"

Last edited:

Shibby

I look at it to be no different than any other. It's no more or less crazy than the next religion, it's just not the right answer for me. The purpose for trying to learn more is to better understand why people choose religion. The better I understand religion the better I will be at expressing my views in a way that those who practice a religion/relationship will understand them. It's a major curiosity for me. It just happens that Christianity is predominant in my country (U.S.) so that's why I focus on it.

GuySmiley

All right I'm getting confused. Some Christians are saying welcome and others are saying I'm a loser and they would be happy to see me leave. What's an atheist to do ;)
I suggest sticking around, but feeling like a loser on the inside :thumb:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I look at it to be no different than any other. It's no more or less crazy than the next religion, it's just not the right answer for me. The purpose for trying to learn more is to better understand why people choose religion. The better I understand religion the better I will be at expressing my views in a way that those who practice a religion/relationship will understand them. It's a major curiosity for me. It just happens that Christianity is predominant in my country (U.S.) so that's why I focus on it.
You've pretty much just answered "yes". But before you said you answered "no". Why the contradiction? Perhaps you don't understand what I'm asking.

I'm asking about a specific point about the nature of God (as how you would understand Christians believe it). There is no way to consider 'a god' without deciding whether that particular god has an exhaustive knowledge of the future, or not. For an exhaustive knowledge of the future would be the purview of only the gods so one would have to assign this attribute to any god considered, or not.

Shibby

We are definitely not on the same page. I will start with one thing and we can take it from there. I do not give any recognition to any god.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We are definitely not on the same page. I will start with one thing and we can take it from there. I do not give any recognition to any god.

Gee, you're going to be a whole lot of fun :plain:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, you've been quite clear about that. It really appears that you are not paying attention on purpose. I certainly am not asking you to give any god any recognition.

Consider this; one of the reasons I don't give Buddhism any recognition is because of their notion that you must bang your head against the door post everytime you walk through a door. I just walk through to many doors for that. I'm sure you don't give Christianity recognition for reasons. The reason I'm asking about is intrinsic to all gods.

Quincy

Strong. I have a lot of discussions with a strong christian at work. At this time I am looking for analysis of biblical prophecies.

Is the search button a sub category or is it called something else?

Watch the History Channel.

Shibby

It really appears that you are not paying attention on purpose.

No. I think you are trying to ask about something that doesn't' matter to me. If it is an attempt to try and make me look stupid, I don't care. I'm not here to prove myself, so if to you it seems like the question needs to be dumbed down, than please do.

Status
Not open for further replies.