Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
cuyahoga_river_fire_1952_cpl_20100811_1620309767.jpg

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I guess they need a lot of practice?
James is doing his part, but Love needs to up his production and the rest of the team needs to play the way they did against Toronto.

Tsk, tsk, tsk...still not a believer I see. :p
A very, very, very good team. On average the best team in the NBA today.

But I look at the roster and don't think the match up favors GS against, say, the 95-96 Bulls. The Warriors would have an edge at center, but not a dominating one. I'll take Rodman in a close call at PF leaning into a push, Pippen in nothing like a close call at SF, Jordan by an even larger margin at SG and Curry swings the needle back a little at point.

The difference in GS in the playoffs has been bench play and mental toughness. Those wouldn't be an edge against that Bulls team. They moved and acted like another Dream Team in terms of confidence and they had players like Kerr and Kukoc coming off the bench. I'll look at a few of the other teams I noted later on. One of the better teams I've seen though, in any event.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So I can move on to football.

Sure, but first some hockey and Pittsburgh.

As I've stated many times, I'm not a hockey fan. However, the Pittsburgh Penguins are now one game away from winning the Stanley Cup, and I of course, jump on the bandwagon.

Since Mazeroski's home run against the Yankees in 1960 at Forbes Field in Pittsbugh, the city of Pittsburgh has won 11 championships (6-Steelers, 3-Penguins, 2-Pirates).

However, none of those 11 championships have taken place in Pittsburgh. All of the Steeler's Super Bowl wins took place in other cities, both World Series Championships by the Pirates took place in Baltimore, and the Penguins won Stanley Cups in Minneapolis, Chicago, and Detroit.

This Thursday's Penguin game in Pittsburgh has the potential be the first championship win to take place in Pittsburgh since 1960.

As of this post, the cheapest tickets on Stubhub are $1,005.00 each.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

The Cuyahoga River fire of 1969. Gotta love Cleveland.

Chrissie Hynde, the lead singer of the Pretenders, grew up right outside of Cleveland in Akron, and lived there in 1969.

She wrote the following song a few years later:

I went back to Ohio
But my city was gone
There was no train station
There was no downtown

Southtown, it disappeared
All my favorite places
My city had been pulled down
Reduced to parking spaces
Ay, oh, where did you go, Ohio?

I went back to Ohio
But my family was gone
I stood on the back porch
There was nobody home

I was stunned and amazed
My childhood memories
Saw this world past
Like the wind through the trees

I went back to Ohio
But my pretty countryside
It had been paved down the middle
By a government that had no pride

The farms of Ohio
Had been replaced by shopping malls
And Muzak filled the air
From Seneca to Cuyahoga Falls

Little did Chrissie know, that one day this song would be the theme song to the Rush Limbaugh Show for 28 years and still counting.

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
How exactly are the Cavs going to win four of five games to win the title?

Not to mention that the Warriors went the entire regular season without losing two games in a row.

They did lose two games in a row to the Thunder in the Western Conference Finals, but look at what they have done since?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Cuyahoga River fire of 1969. Gotta love Cleveland.

Here is your footnote for the day. I knew the river burned. I decided the city was going down in flames so I looked up the pictures and read this. Time magazine wrote a story in 1969. The picture was from 1952. The river has burned quite a few times with Republic and Standard Oil and how waste was dumped for a long time.

The Berean

James is doing his part, but Love needs to up his production and the rest of the team needs to play the way they did against Toronto.

A very, very, very good team. On average the best team in the NBA today.

But I look at the roster and don't think the match up favors GS against, say, the 95-96 Bulls. The Warriors would have an edge at center, but not a dominating one. I'll take Rodman in a close call at PF leaning into a push, Pippen in nothing like a close call at SF, Jordan by an even larger margin at SG and Curry swings the needle back a little at point.

The difference in GS in the playoffs has been bench play and mental toughness. Those wouldn't be an edge against that Bulls team. They moved and acted like another Dream Team in terms of confidence and they had players like Kerr and Kukoc coming off the bench. I'll look at a few of the other teams I noted later on. One of the better teams I've seen though, in any event.

The debate of the current Warriors versus the great teams of the past has been raging on for a few months now. But the arugment is usally only referenced from people who have a very biased take on this debate. Of course players from the 1980's-90's will always say their era was better. They would never admit the opposite even if they truly beleived it. We will never know the answer since the game has changed so much since then in terms of style of play and rules. Only one player, Eddie Johnson, has actually taken the time to reseach this from both sides and who admitted that the Warriors could hang with the 95-86 Bulls. Johson played against Jordan's Bulls so he saw them up close and personal. Johnson compared the ENTIRE rosters and not just the top 3 players.

http://hoopshype.com/2015/11/28/the...-whos-the-best-team-1-through-15-and-overall/

CONCLUSIONS

When you break down this contest, it is obvious the Bulls will have a distinct advantage when it comes to key core players, but I don’t think that Bulls squad ever faced a team that could throw five players on the floor who could all run, pass, shoot and defend like Golden State has with Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes and Iguodala.

This is why it’s so difficult to compare eras. With the different defensive rules now, it thoroughly throws a monkey wrench into trying to figure out which team would win.

I will say this: The belief that these Warriors could not play with hand checking is a myth. Champions come about because of a tenacious desire to excel and rules changes have nothing to do with individuals who pushed to the limit to succeed. This Warrior group is athletic, strong-willed, unselfish and skillful.

It’s almost impossible to go against that Chicago team. It’s got a serious hold on me because I played against them often as a member of the Indiana Pacers that season.

Yes, I totally believe hand checking would bother the Warriors, but I also believe the Bulls only had three players in Jordan, Pippen and Rodman that were quick and strong enough to get their hands on a Warriors team with 10 quick and productive players.

The one advantage the Bulls have is Michael Jordan and without a doubt he could will the Bulls to victory with his usual spectacular game… Then again, did Jordan ever face a team that could actually guard him with seven different players? The modern-day Warriors could do that and then make him work defensively no matter who he was guarding.

That’s the intricate beauty of this Warriors team and I have honestly never seen a group this athletic, unselfish, skilled and young.

So without a doubt, I can say the Golden State Warriors would beat the ’96 Chicago Bulls with or without the rules of hand checking!

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So without a doubt, I can say the Golden State Warriors would beat the ’96 Chicago Bulls with or without the rules of hand checking![/I]

The Warriors would beat the 96' Bulls 4-0

Heck, this years Cav's would probably beat the 96' Bulls.

Jordan's Bulls never had any competition. They are extremely overrated because of Jordan.

Jordan couldn't guard Allen Iverson. What makes anyone think he could guard Curry or Thompson?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sure, but first some hockey and Pittsburgh.

As I've stated many times, I'm not a hockey fan. However, the Pittsburgh Penguins are now one game away from winning the Stanley Cup, and I of course, jump on the bandwagon.

This kind of burns me a bit. I am glad the NHL doesn't protect stars and let them win to promote the product. But I don't like what happened to Mario Lemieux. I watched the Colorado Avalanche consistently when I was there. Sakic and Forsberg were great players. Super Mario was like both of them rolled into one. And what happened to him is BS. In my short life time, only the Great One is greater. And the NHL lets players get hurt and taken out. They go to far.

And the NBA on the other hand, during the Jordan years, cheated big time. Half of Jordan's points should be taken away for traveling. Yes, that is hyperbole. Is he an NBA legend? Of course. Is he more unstoppable than Kobe Bryant? Maybe. Kobe could hit 3s from the start. I'm just saying....I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees cheating and knows it had a direct effect. Most say McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds cheated and leave them out of the Hall. They rightly booed Brady at the Super Bowl. Why don't they do it with Jordan? It's not that he cheated, the NBA cheated thinking they will let the star win and increase ratings. What happened is I stopped watching. The Bulls couldn't even get past the New York Bricks when Jordan was out.

This Golden State team would humiliate them with International rules and officials. Make them play the game. Horace Grant and Bill Cartwright? Seriously?

The Warriors would beat the 96' Bulls 4-0

I don't know about a sweep, but a beating no doubt.

john w

Hall of Fame

Vs.

"We now live in a new heaven and a new earth. .... we now live in the new heavens and new earth...Yes, we are living in the millennial reign right now.......we now live in the greatest time period since the creation of planet earth"-UN member "U Thant" Tellalie

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The debate of the current Warriors versus the great teams of the past has been raging on for a few months now. But the arugment is usally only referenced from people who have a very biased take on this debate.
Not many people who don't care will bother to argue. I've seen the greatest teams of the modern era play. I watched Bird and Magic going at it. I watched the Bulls finally get past the Pistons and assume the mantel. The only team I've ever rooted for in basketball, or ever really will, is the Boston Celtics. They're mine. So GS or Chic doesn't matter to me in the final analysis except as a product of a final analysis...and then I'm taking my best Celtics team to give either a scare.

But it's still the Bulls. The irritatingly impossible Bulls who led the league in both offense and defense in the same year, who went 72-10 before a playoff run of 15-3 ended with a ring.

Of course players from the 1980's-90's will always say their era was better.
I think it was harder to play well in, but I don't know that it was better. Different.

Only one player, Eddie Johnson, has actually taken the time to reseach this from both sides and who admitted that the Warriors could hang with the 95-86 Bulls.
Who'd he win his rings with? :eek: Eddie Johnson wants to sell books. He'll sell a lot more with that line than he would otherwise. Ceballos thinks his 93-94 Suns team would beat Golden State.

“The Warriors have to go against our 93-94 team, with [Charles] Barkley, [Dan] Majerle, [Danny] Ainge, K.J. [Kevin Johnson], Tom Chambers. Don’t get me wrong. Draymond ’s playing unbelievable, but he wouldn’t do anything with Charles Barkley. It would be so, so ridiculous what that guy would get done to him. And if you don’t believe me, just ask everybody else at his size who tried to guard the guy back in the day.

“Steph Curry, an unbelievable shooter, but [KJ] was a point guard’s nightmare because he was strong and he loved going to the basket,” Ceballos added. “That’s one thing these teams do not do. They do not expose Steph and the way he plays defense.
“I don’t think we’d have a problem with this Golden State team.”

Barkley agrees, though he doesn't think it would be easy.

Johson played against Jordan's Bulls so he saw them up close and personal. Johnson compared the ENTIRE rosters and not just the top 3 players.
Like getting an opinion of the prom king from the girl he said no to on Daisy Duke day. :think:

CONCLUSIONS
That's not how you spell delusions. :eek:

When you break down this contest, it is obvious the Bulls will have a distinct advantage when it comes to key core players, but I don’t think that Bulls squad ever faced a team that could throw five players on the floor who could all run, pass, shoot and defend like Golden State has with Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes and Iguodala.
A two man squad nearly and arguably should have beaten them. :plain: The Jazz had more with Horny, Pasty, and the Mailman than OKC. Okay, they have a very athletic team and that team plays like one. I still say the Jazz would give them fits.

This is why it’s so difficult to compare eras. With the different defensive rules now, it thoroughly throws a monkey wrench into trying to figure out which team would win.
I think expansion has watered down every sport it's touched, including the NBA. I don't think Bird would feel intimidated by this team. Magic's best Lakers teams wouldn't...and Jordan's Bulls aren't going to lose any sleep.I'd take the best San Antonio's to give GS all they can handle. That would probably be the closest to an old school team concept that's still on the floor, though they're not what they were a few years ago.

I will say this: The belief that these Warriors could not play with hand checking is a myth.
No one is saying they couldn't play. That's a straw man. Many are saying it would have negatively impacted their play and that seems fair.

Champions come about because of a tenacious desire to excel and rules changes have nothing to do with individuals who pushed to the limit to succeed. This Warrior group is athletic, strong-willed, unselfish and skillful.
That's not really an argument. It's just magic talk. Rules absolutely impact the game play. True in the NFL and true in the NBA.

It’s almost impossible to go against that Chicago team. It’s got a serious hold on me because I played against them often as a member of the Indiana Pacers that season.
Does anyone really believe that someone who was beaten by a great team finds it difficult to put the lightest possible negative spin, the most carefully couched diminishing of that team's luster? I mean anyone sober.

Yes, I totally believe hand checking would bother the Warriors, but I also believe the Bulls only had three players in Jordan, Pippen and Rodman that were quick and strong enough to get their hands on a Warriors team with 10 quick and productive players.
He's wrong, but for reasons given prior (I love Toni and Kerr coming on as bench players and the Bulls faced running teams that passed the ball too). Curry would be driven inside and hammered by Rodman or harassed by the long arms of the Bulls on the outside.

The one advantage the Bulls have is Michael Jordan and without a doubt he could will the Bulls to victory with his usual spectacular game…
Just not true. Pippen is an all time great who still doesn't quite get what he's owed because Jordan was so ridiculously skilled as both a scorer and a defender. In 93-94, without Jordan Pippen led the Bulls to 55 wins. And he missed ten of the first twelve games to an injury. Otherwise they could have easily been in the 60 plus win category...did I mention that was without Jordan?

Then again, did Jordan ever face a team that could actually guard him with seven different players? The modern-day Warriors could do that and then make him work defensively no matter who he was guarding.
At that point anyone taking him seriously should realize he's just selling. Several players on one team who could guard the greatest offensive player in NBA history?

Right. :plain:

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Dominate the boards and play like a team. It took an 0-2 deficit and a sitting starter to move Cleveland into the only posture they can use to slow and have a chance to beat Golden State. Now they need to do it again on Friday and it's a new series.

SaulToPaul 2

You have a Jordan bias.

Jordan grew up in North Carolina, you grew up in North Carolina

Jordan went to North Carolina, you live in North Carolina.

Jordan owns the Charlotte Hornets, you live near Charlotte.

:chuckle:

Yes, but I grew up in Mayberry. The Mayberry Tigers did not have a basketball team, or any black people.