My Experience of a Far Left, SJW Infested University Campus

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Let's not use jihad as an example, since it doesn't have anything to do with the students for whom you've used a "derogatory term" (your words) to denigrate them for what they believe. Which sounds pretty much like what you say they did to you. Except - in your case, apparently you were defined as "the one who's against abortion," which certainly isn't derogatory in any way - and yet you freely used a derogatory term to in turn define them by their beliefs. So when you said that your "'unorthodox' viewpoint has become what they define me by," did you realize you were doing the very same to them, defining students with their own beliefs as SJWs who were "infesting" a campus that they have every right to share with you without sharing your beliefs?

Kind of like you did to them in your OP?

I think it's a more a matter of perception. My university is a state university in a liberal state. Universities have always been hotbeds of new ideas, revolutionary ideas (and that's not necessarily a scary word to use), innovation, invention, enthusiasm, optimism. You said yourself that you'd been treated fairly by your professors, right? That's a good thing to be able to say. I'm not saying there aren't radical professors or radical students, but it sounds to me like you have the freedom to express yourself.

I'm hoping you'll have time to come back to this, lmohm. It's an important idea to consider the possibility that you showed less respect for your fellow students then they showed for you, and additionally, whether your discomfort in being the minority view at university perhaps impelled you to come here to denigrate the "SJWs" so you could be affirmed and reassured by the kudos that you'd receive here for your report on the "infestation."

lovemeorhateme

Lovemeorhateme, you are such a TOL inspiration. You're story and testimony is one of the greatest things TOL ever had the privilege of being a part of.

I feel for ya for what you're having to go through. Don't get weary in well doing, my friend. You're an encouragement.

Thank you Poly, I really appreciate your comments. Looking back I can't believe just how much my life has turned around since first joining this site. TOL is one of the greatest things I've ever had the privilege to be part of!

It's very hard to be a right wing Christian when surrounded by often anti-Christian left wingers, but I'm steadfastly holding on to my faith.

brewmama

I'm hoping you'll have time to come back to this, lmohm. It's an important idea to consider the possibility that you showed less respect for your fellow students then they showed for you, and additionally, whether your discomfort in being the minority view at university perhaps impelled you to come here to denigrate the "SJWs" so you could be affirmed and reassured by the kudos that you'd receive here for your report on the "infestation."

You seem really clueless about what goes on at liberal universities, at least to those with a conservative bent.

lovemeorhateme

Let's not use jihad as an example, since it doesn't have anything to do with the students for whom you've used a "derogatory term" (your words) to denigrate them for what they believe. Which sounds pretty much like what you say they did to you. Except - in your case, apparently you were defined as "the one who's against abortion," which certainly isn't derogatory in any way - and yet you freely used a derogatory term to in turn define them by their beliefs. So when you said that your "'unorthodox' viewpoint has become what they define me by," did you realize you were doing the very same to them, defining students with their own beliefs as SJWs who were "infesting" a campus that they have every right to share with you without sharing your beliefs?

Jihad was chosen as a more extreme example, but it was an example nonetheless of why I think it's okay for some people to experience marginalisation for their beliefs. Unless you think we should embrace those who support jihad, a proposition I find it unlikely you believe. I think derogatory was probably not the best word for me to use as it's too strong to express what I meant. Pejorative is a more accurate term, and indeed the term 'SJW' is a pejorative term. I don't consider being defined as "the one who's against abortion" to be derogatory, but those who define me in such a way do. I'm not defining SJWs by their unorthodox views, on the contrary. Their views are very orthodox on my university campus. It's those with traditional, conservative views who are considered to be unorthodox. Indeed, all of my fellow students have every right to share the campus without sharing my beliefs, I don't disagree with that. It just so happens that the ones with those beliefs hold all the positions of power and influence over fellow students. The categorise people like myself as racists, homophobes, sexists, misogynists, rape apologists, ableists, transphobes.. the list goes on. If I was to dare to venture an opinion in a student union discussion (something I'm reluctant to do), I'll be told in no uncertain terms that because I'm a straight, white, cisgendered male that my opinion doesn't count. My opinion is meaningless and I should "check my privilege". If I told a lesbian, ethnic minority, "genderfluid" that their opinion doesn't count because of those characteristics, what do you think would happen to me? Telling me that because I'm a straight, white male that my opinion is meaningless is a gross example of reverse racism and sexism.

Kind of like you did to them in your OP?

I don't hate those with differing viewpoints to myself, but they do hate people like me. I can happily be friendly towards a militantly left SJW, but they would never extend the same courtesy towards myself.

I think it's a more a matter of perception. My university is a state university in a liberal state. Universities have always been hotbeds of new ideas, revolutionary ideas (and that's not necessarily a scary word to use), innovation, invention, enthusiasm, optimism. You said yourself that you'd been treated fairly by your professors, right? That's a good thing to be able to say. I'm not saying there aren't radical professors or radical students, but it sounds to me like you have the freedom to express yourself.

I have the freedom to express myself academically, I do not have the freedom to express myself out of the classroom. There have been cases of conservative students even being banned from university bars and restaurants by the student union for daring to express an opinion which differs from the militantly left orthodoxy they subscribe to.

lovemeorhateme

Lovemeee? is you playing to the gallery?

You know very well that right wing conservatives in Britain are just as wicked as left wing ones holding very much the same liberal views.

Even in the US the conservatives only play lip service to the church

It seems you and I have a different opinion of right wing conservatives. Do you care to expound on your assertion that I know "very well that right wing conservatives in Britain are just as wicked as left wing ones"?

lovemeorhateme

I don't need affirmation from those on TOL. I thought it would be good to disseminate this information about my experience so more people could learn what is going on across militantly left university campuses. Please don't assume my motives for starting this thread.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't hate those with differing viewpoints to myself, but they do hate people like me. I can happily be friendly towards a militantly left SJW, but they would never extend the same courtesy towards myself.

Define how that *courtesy* is extended towards them and how reverse militantism is any different.

Quetzal

I don't need affirmation from those on TOL. I thought it would be good to disseminate this information about my experience so more people could learn what is going on across militantly left university campuses. Please don't assume my motives for starting this thread.
We can assume whatever we want if we feel you are being unclear or dishonest.

lovemeorhateme

Define how that *courtesy* is extended towards them and how reverse militantism is any different.

The simple fact that if someone expresses liberal beliefs which differ from my own then I'm quite happy to be friendly towards them. Yet if I express conservative beliefs which differ from their own, they will likely shun me.

lovemeorhateme

We can assume whatever we want if we feel you are being unclear or dishonest.

You are free to make all the assumptions you want, but those assumptions don't prove anything. They simply remain ungrounded, unproven and unprovable assumptions.

At what point do you think I have been either unclear or dishonest?

Quetzal

The simple fact that if someone expresses liberal beliefs which differ from my own then I'm quite happy to be friendly towards them. Yet if I express conservative beliefs which differ from their own, they will likely shun me.
One set of beliefs promotes acceptance. The other promotes condemnation and alienation. If you can't figure out why people don't like you with this understanding in mind, you are outside of saving.

lovemeorhateme

One set of beliefs promotes acceptance. The other promotes condemnation and alienation. If you can't figure out why people don't like you with this understanding in mind, you are outside of saving.

One set of beliefs promotes acceptance for those who agree with you and the shunning and silencing of those who don't. The other promotes freedom of speech for all, even those we disagree with. I know which side I'm on.

Quetzal

One set of beliefs promotes acceptance for those who agree with you and the shunning and silencing of those who don't. The other promotes freedom of speech for all, even those we disagree with. I know which side I'm on.
You say that, but you only embody it as an excuse to promote your ideals of marginalization of people who are different than you. You can't be shocked when people don't want to go to lunch with you if you do this.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I guess it would depend on how you express those beliefs. For those who hate homosexuals, the normal conversation would be something like this:

"You are all perverts who have made the decision to stray from your normal sexuality in order to pursue loveless, promiscuous relationships".

I can't imagine why anyone would take offense to such nonsense. I also can't imagine why any woman (who actually cares about her gender) would find it revolting to attribute "the rape culture" with feminism.

lovemeorhateme

You say that, but you only embody it as an excuse to promote your ideals of marginalization of people who are different than you.

Another ungrounded assertion. Would you like to provide some kind of evidence to back up this claim? I support freedom of speech for all, including those who may wish to marginalise me. Is this hard for you to understand?

You can't be shocked when people don't want to go to lunch with you if you do this.

Shocked? Not really. Nor have I claimed to be. It's what I've come to expect from militantly left SJWs. Yet I would happily go to lunch with someone with whom I disagree.

Interestingly, yesterday at university I met the leader of the new debating society. He is firmly left wing in his views, and he had a lot to say about the censorship on campus which is caused by militant SJWs and their identity politics. We may have profound disagreements politically on a number of things, but on this we found much common ground.

lovemeorhateme

I guess it would depend on how you express those beliefs. For those who hate homosexuals, the normal conversation would be something like this:

"You are all perverts who have made the decision to stray from your normal sexuality in order to pursue loveless, promiscuous relationships".

I can't imagine why anyone would take offense to such nonsense. I also can't imagine why any woman (who actually cares about her gender) would find it revolting to attribute "the rape culture" with feminism.

Do you honestly believe that I would choose to express myself in such a manner, Rusha, after all the time you've known me on TOL?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Censorship is not exclusive to college campuses. Right wing websites are extremely biased and have no problem whatsoever with utilizing censorship.

Do left wing websites and campuses do the same thing? Certainly. It's tit for tat ... which exactly why I am not going to be overly excited when it happens to either side.

Quetzal

Another ungrounded assertion. Would you like to provide some kind of evidence to back up this claim? I support freedom of speech for all, including those who may wish to marginalise me. Is this hard for you to understand?

Shocked? Not really. Nor have I claimed to be. It's what I've come to expect from militantly left SJWs. Yet I would happily go to lunch with someone with whom I disagree.

Interestingly, yesterday at university I met the leader of the new debating society. He is firmly left wing in his views, and he had a lot to say about the censorship on campus which is caused by militant SJWs and their identity politics. We may have profound disagreements politically on a number of things, but on this we found much common ground.
If you say so, kid.

lovemeorhateme

Censorship is not exclusive to college campuses. Right wing websites are extremely biased and have no problem whatsoever with utilizing censorship.

I guess it's a good job we're talking about university campuses and not right wing websites then, isn't it? Please don't divert away from the subject at hand.