My Experience of a Far Left, SJW Infested University Campus

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You seriously equate right wing websites and college campuses?? Sometimes you make sense, and then other times...well, not so much.

I was speaking of the bias. Bias is everywhere. I couldn't care less if every pastor in the country refuses to marry gay couples ... just so they have the option of marrying.

Unless it is a private university, the college is for EVERYONE. How do you think a private, Christian college would respond to students speaking in favor of gay rights?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you honestly believe that I would choose to express myself in such a manner, Rusha, after all the time you've known me on TOL?

For people who you have gotten to know, probably not. However, from what you stated, it sounds like both sides added to the disagreement.

brewmama

What's weird, and sad, I think, is that you think that matters. I think that you think that holding those "morally superior" views makes you a morally superior man. Superior, enough, that it's OK for you to pass judgment on everyone else rather than being curious about them, and about their views. Rather than learning anything from them, and from their views, you automatically just condemn them, because they aren't your views. Because, in your mind, if they aren't your views they must be morally inferior views: not worth your bothering to understand beyond the point of recognizing them as being different.

How arrogant must you be to claim to know what someone else is thinking as regards being "morally superior"! What presumption!

And yet, you give those who DO feel that they are morally superior a total pass. Do you realize how hypocritical you sound?

How long are you "curious" about someone else's views when they constantly cram them down your throat and demonize you if you disagree with them?

Some views are unquestionably morally inferior, and to not be able to recognize this makes you morally retarded. The point is that we are seeking and recognizing a better way to live, not constantly compare ourselves to others and feel "superior". That's the other side. You think you are so open-minded and nonjudgmental, and you are just really clueless.

brewmama

I was speaking of the bias. Bias is everywhere. I couldn't care less if every pastor in the country refuses to marry gay couples ... just so they have the option of marrying.

Unless it is a private university, the college is for EVERYONE. How do you think a private, Christian college would respond to students speaking in favor of gay rights?

I'm glad you recognize the point, that a college campus is supposedly for everyone. Yet conservative voices are routinely and constantly (and usually in a very ugly manner) shouted down, reviled, cut off and excluded. In public universities.

Meanwhile, as far as I know, Christian colleges generally allow people to speak their mind. Have you any evidence to the contrary?

Quetzal

The very act of declaring a simple belief as marginalizing is an excuse to exclude and shun people whose ideas put your mind in an unsettled state. You want people to think like you and if they don't, you want them away from "polite" society.
I do not tolerate attitudes and opinions that are intentionally harmful to others. I am unapologetic about that and could care less about what you think about that.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm glad you recognize the point, that a college campus is supposedly for everyone. Yet conservative voices are routinely and constantly (and usually in a very ugly manner) shouted down, reviled, cut off and excluded. In public universities.

Meanwhile, as far as I know, Christian colleges generally allow people to speak their mind. Have you any evidence to the contrary?

I know it was not that way at the Christian schools I attended. There was no debating the existence of God or gods ... or whether or not homosexuality was acceptable. There was also no debate in regards to C VS E. Evolution was not taught OR allowed in discussions.

IMO, if someone is averse to attending a school or college where most of the students believe differently than they do, they would be better off attending a private college of their choice.

brewmama

I know it was not that way at the Christian schools I attended. There was no debating the existence of God or gods ... or whether or not homosexuality was acceptable. There was also no debate in regards to C VS E. Evolution was not taught OR allowed in discussions.

IMO, if someone is averse to attending a school or college where most of the students believe differently than they do, they would be better off attending a private college of their choice.

You must not be aware of what is happening on Christian campuses today. What Christian university did you attend? Or are you talking about lower education?

So, you are relegating all devout Christians and/or conservatives to private colleges only? How open-minded and big of you. You do realize that universities USED to be for the opening of minds and debates, right? So fine with you if that is out the window?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, you are relegating all devout Christians and/or conservatives to private colleges only?

Of course not.

How open-minded and big of you.

How assuming of you.

You do realize that universities USED to be for the opening of minds and debates, right? So fine with you if that is out the window?

I highly suggest you consider take a class in comprehensive reading. I suggest that universities and colleges stick with the lesson plans.

Pete stated in his opening post "What the student union fails to realise is that the real minorities on campus are Christians and people with right wing political views. Indeed, anyone who dares to express political views which dissent from the left wing orthodoxy of the university risks being shunned by their friends and peers simply for having a different opinion".

Would this thread even exist IF the majority of students were Christians who participated in the daily shunning on those who they categorize as *left wing*?

IF the roles were reversed, you know good and well you would be saying that intolerance and shunning of the left is fine because you disagree with them.

Also, you will notice the title of the thread included the word INFESTED as a description of those who disagree with his POV. Apparently you are fine withwith intolerance as long as it's against those you disagree with.

brewmama

Of course not.

How assuming of you.

I highly suggest you consider take a class in comprehensive reading. I suggest that universities and colleges stick with the lesson plans.

Pete stated in his opening post "What the student union fails to realise is that the real minorities on campus are Christians and people with right wing political views. Indeed, anyone who dares to express political views which dissent from the left wing orthodoxy of the university risks being shunned by their friends and peers simply for having a different opinion".

Would this thread even exist IF the majority of students were Christians who participated in the daily shunning on those who they categorize as *left wing*?

IF the roles were reversed, you know good and well you would be saying that intolerance and shunning of the left is fine because you disagree with them.

Also, you will notice the title of the thread included the word INFESTED as a description of those who disagree with his POV. Apparently you are fine withwith intolerance as long as it's against those you disagree with.

Anyone who is able to see reality can see what is happening on campuses today, and no it is NOT equivalent to your imaginary "Christian students would do the same thing!" scenario. And he was addressing us, on an anonymous board, NOT the students themselves. If you can't see the difference, you really don't belong in the conversation.

ClimateSanity

I do not tolerate attitudes and opinions that are intentionally harmful to others. I am unapologetic about that and could care less about what you think about that.

I'm not sure what opinions you refer to but saying homosexuality is sinful is not intentionally harmful to anyone.

Quetzal

I'm not sure what opinions you refer to but saying homosexuality is sinful is not intentionally harmful to anyone.
Why can't you just let it go and say nothing? Instead of trying to get on your moral high horse, worry about your own life and let them worry about theirs. It is really that simple.

ClimateSanity

Why can't you just let it go and say nothing? Instead of trying to get on your moral high horse, worry about your own life and let them worry about theirs. It is really that simple.

It's not my moral high horse. I have no problem with it. I'm referring to those who do have a problem with it. They are not trying to harm anyone. They should be able to answer how they feel when the question is put to them without being subject to removal from university.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Anyone who is able to see reality can see what is happening on campuses today, and no it is NOT equivalent to your imaginary "Christian students would do the same thing!" scenario. And he was addressing us, on an anonymous board, NOT the students themselves. If you can't see the difference, you really don't belong in the conversation.

:chuckle: Now THAT is amusing. In a thread about censorship of views, you tell me "you really don't belong in the conversations".

See ... THAT is the problem. You wish to dictate the flow of the conversation. When others disagree, they are intolerant leftists who are expected to stay silent and listen to the intolerant right.

IF you truly only care for one way conversations, try a mirror.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Indeed ... unless their actions are affecting your life OR is a threat to the life of someone else, a person's life is their business.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'm hoping you'll have time to come back to this, lmohm. It's an important idea to consider the possibility that you showed less respect for your fellow students then they showed for you, and additionally, whether your discomfort in being the minority view at university perhaps impelled you to come here to denigrate the "SJWs" so you could be affirmed and reassured by the kudos that you'd receive here for your report on the "infestation."

I don't need affirmation from those on TOL. I thought it would be good to disseminate this information about my experience so more people could learn what is going on across militantly left university campuses. Please don't assume my motives for starting this thread.

I wondered if you'd consider the possibility. I hope you will. Also, you left unanswered the first part of my post to you, as to whether you showed less respect for them than they did for you.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Jihad was chosen as a more extreme example, but it was an example nonetheless of why I think it's okay for some people to experience marginalisation for their beliefs. Unless you think we should embrace those who support jihad, a proposition I find it unlikely you believe.

It doesn't have a place in the discussion, although it seems to me you that you chose an extreme example so you could justify marginalizing them. Try substituting feminist for jihadist in your above and then please explain your thinking.

I think derogatory was probably not the best word for me to use as it's too strong to express what I meant. Pejorative is a more accurate term, and indeed the term 'SJW' is a pejorative term. I don't consider being defined as "the one who's against abortion" to be derogatory, but those who define me in such a way do. I'm not defining SJWs by their unorthodox views, on the contrary. Their views are very orthodox on my university campus. It's those with traditional, conservative views who are considered to be unorthodox. Indeed, all of my fellow students have every right to share the campus without sharing my beliefs, I don't disagree with that. It just so happens that the ones with those beliefs hold all the positions of power and influence over fellow students. The categorise people like myself as racists, homophobes, sexists, misogynists, rape apologists, ableists, transphobes.. the list goes on. If I was to dare to venture an opinion in a student union discussion (something I'm reluctant to do), I'll be told in no uncertain terms that because I'm a straight, white, cisgendered male that my opinion doesn't count. My opinion is meaningless and I should "check my privilege". If I told a lesbian, ethnic minority, "genderfluid" that their opinion doesn't count because of those characteristics, what do you think would happen to me? Telling me that because I'm a straight, white male that my opinion is meaningless is a gross example of reverse racism and sexism.

So it's okay for you to denigrate/use pejoratives for them? Why?

You've given a lot of "if" scenarios. Since you've been reluctant to venture an opinion in a student union discussion, you don't actually know what would be said to you. It might be something you don't like, and that would be your opportunity to listen, and then offer your viewpoint. And perhaps be pleasantly surprised.

I don't hate those with differing viewpoints to myself, but they do hate people like me. I can happily be friendly towards a militantly left SJW, but they would never extend the same courtesy towards myself.

You realize you've just made some pretty sweeping overstatements there?

I have the freedom to express myself academically, I do not have the freedom to express myself out of the classroom. There have been cases of conservative students even being banned from university bars and restaurants by the student union for daring to express an opinion which differs from the militantly left orthodoxy they subscribe to.

"There have been cases..." That's the second time you've referenced other than your own personal experiences on your campus, which (and please correct me if I'm wrong) seems to be limited to an abortion discussion. What have been your own personal extracurricular experiences in expressing a different point of view?

brewmama

:chuckle: Now THAT is amusing. In a thread about censorship of views, you tell me "you really don't belong in the conversations".

See ... THAT is the problem. You wish to dictate the flow of the conversation. When others disagree, they are intolerant leftists who are expected to stay silent and listen to the intolerant right.

IF you truly only care for one way conversations, try a mirror.

You misunderstand. Pointing out that you're not seeing the point, misinterpreting what people say, and making invalid points, and therefore not really keeping up with the conversation, or addressing reality, is not the same as "censoring you". Case in point.

Last edited: