Marijuana legalization: LESS government?

shagster01

Why do you think there was a desire to control recreational marijuana use gc, maybe because it is harmful?

Or becuse people love control.

As far as the definition of narcotic goes, check this out from Dictionary.com:

any of a class of substances that blunt the senses, as opium, morphine, belladonna, and alcohol, that in large quantities produce euphoria, stupor, or coma, that when used constantly can cause habituation or addiction, and that are used in medicine to relieve pain, cause sedation, and induce sleep.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/narcotic

So now you believe alcohol is a narcotic. Seems different than what you've been saying.

I'm going to give my opinion as to why you and the other non dope smokers that have posted in this thread want marijuana legal, which pretty much goes for all godless Libertarians:

You all live such miserable lives that you want to share you misery with others.

It's that simple.

That's my reason for you being opposed to it too.

WizardofOz

Look at all of these kids with seizures waiting in line for their...ahem..."medicine".

Spoiler
article-2532060-1A5FF9C600000578-405_634x383.jpg

(Libertarians, they'll even use sick kids as a reason to push dope onto society).

Care to address the post or article? Your fanatical and deflective arm waving is juvenile to say the least.

WizardofOz

Yes, LESS government

Yes, LESS government

Minnesota cops don’t want to legalize medical marijuana for fear they could lose millions

Drug enforcement stands to lose a lot of funding should marijuana become legal. Federal funding through the Department of Justice gives police task forces money specifically aimed to target drug crimes from a fund called the Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant. The grant doles out $300 million to $500 million annually to police stations around the country.

“In 2012, 23 such task forces in Minnesota received a total of approximately $4.2 million from Byrne grants. The money is spent on everything from military-grade hardware to officer overtime,” PoliticsinMinnesota.com reports.

Legalize marijuana and Minnesota no longer has need, or access, to this federal pot of money.

Look no further than Washington state to see the effects of this. Since recreational marijuana has been legal in Washington, police forces have been forced to cut their budgets, in some places by 15 percent, as there is no longer a need, or a revenue stream, for drug-related crime fighting.

But when it comes to the economics of fighting drugs, law enforcement remains silent.

“I don’t think it’s part of the debate because they wouldn’t publicly admit that it’s even an issue,” Melin said. “Nobody wants to question the motives or honesty of law enforcement.”

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Minnesota cops don’t want to legalize medical marijuana for fear they could lose millions

Drug enforcement stands to lose a lot of funding should marijuana become legal.

Please Arin, save us the articles from ronpaulforums or High Times.

Law enforcement funding will increase in places like WA and CO as more law enforcement will be needed to deal with the criminal activities these dopers partake in while hiiiiigh on marijuana.

Hence the subject title of the thread.

gcthomas

Boy gc, for someone that only uses cannabis as a hat, you sure are interested in this subject....

And, boy, are you interested in anal sex. What conclusions can you draw from level of thread interest as to private activity, aCW? ;)

As far as the definition of narcotic goes, check this out from Dictionary.com:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/narcotic

Your link describes television as a narcotic, so I don't think it was supposed to be a technical definition - rather a usage description. Interestingly, you avoided the common US usage to describe any illegal drug as a narcotic. This would have allowed you to avoid including alcohol and TV as narcotics!

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
And, boy, are you interested in anal sex. What conclusions can you draw from level of thread interest as to private activity, aCW? ;)

Speaking of which: How come you haven't been defending that filthy child molesting disease ridden behavior in my thread recently gc?

On that note: I'll let you guys continue to push your harmful drugs onto society knowing that you will reap what you sow.

Or in the words of the commie loser:

"Instant Karma's gonna get you."

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
instead of blaming his cancer on the smoke filled THC that he held in his lungs for hours on end throughout his life, let's blame it solely on the tar and nicotine from cigarettes.

The average cigarette smoker smokes a whole lot more then an average pot smoker.
How many people die of lung cancer from simply pot?

When one hits from a bong or hookah, the coughing actually disperses stuff from the lungs, and expands them. That's why people who smoke marijuana alone don't have much of a marked difference in health. Back in high school, for example, a friend of mine played football for three years and the whole time he was a gigantic pothead.

It's all just a bunch of bulldinky, pot clearly wins out over tobacco in regard to health. Noting the obvious, smoking a pack of cigarettes a day is exponentially worse then a few joints.

Anti-marijuana advocates in the media, all those commercials in so on- they are all full of crap, and obviously had a painfully dull teenage experience. I mean, who goes through high school and never hit a joint and then grows up and talks about how evil it is? It's retarded, weed is not that bad :chuckle:

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
"Used to"? Why did you quit if it's so harmless?

A lot of people simply stop because it's not worth the hassle and having to sneak around with it.

The ONLY reason it's 'bad' is because it's illegal. The ~irony~. One is foolish to automatically think something is bad simply because it's illegal- that type of mindset is for the naive.
All the criticisms about weed have always been a bunch of crap and that's why it's legal in multiple states now- the nonsense was finally called out on.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
A lot of people simply stop because it's not worth the hassle and having to sneak around with it.

The days of "sneaking around" are almost over Sky. People are rolling joints and smoking them on the city streets here in Seattle. Once it's legal in your city/state/country, I'll assume that you'll be toking away.

gcthomas

Interesting study - did you read it?

It looked at 79 lung cancer cases and concluded that four of them were caused by cannabis use. Since they estimated that 39% of the matched population has used cannabis, this suggests that the usage pattern of dope smokers is way less than tobacco smokers - it is a lot less addictive.

Cannabis use in general" was not associated with a significant risk of lung cancer", while the highest usage rate was associated with a risk equivalent to between a 5 and 40 cigarettes (large uncertainty due to the small sample size).

It seems like you have found evidence that infrequent use of cannabis is neither seriously habit forming nor very dangerous, so the major efforts should be focussed on the small group of heavy users and on tobacco smokers, who have similar risks.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Interesting study - did you read it?

It looked at 79 lung cancer cases and concluded that four of them were caused by cannabis use. Since they estimated that 39% of the matched population has used cannabis, this suggests that the usage pattern of dope smokers is way less than tobacco smokers - it is a lot less addictive.

Keep in mind that marijuana has been a controlled substance (i.e. illegal) up until somewhat recently. With the legalization of marijuana and hence increased consumption, I have no doubt that we'll be seeing the many harmful effects that it does to not only the individual smoking it, but to the society that has legalized it.
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3958731&postcount=490

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
The days of "sneaking around" are almost over Sky. People are rolling joints and smoking them on the city streets here in Seattle. Once it's legal in your city/state/country, I'll assume that you'll be toking away.

The Church would speak against it simply because it is mind altering- it is not in their nature to uphold anything sinful, even if it's a better alternative.

Alcohol has many negative attributes that simply doesn't exist with marijuana. For example, spousal/child abuse in the household is typically due to alcoholism.
Another thing, on the health side of it, is that alcohol is exponentially more detrimental to one's health:
it destroys the liver, it has an extreme rate of dependence, blows out the pancreas, is a gateway to depression and anxiety, and a myriad of other things.
I mean, alcohol can destroy a person's life; marijuana on the other hand, if legal, does not.

The majority of all suicides are done under the influence of alcohol_

There's simply a lot wrong with the fact that alcohol is legal and marijuana, which has never involved any of these things, is scrutinized.
But it's also inevitable that alcohol would be the substance of choice- it's the historical alteration. Anyone the world over can simply ferment fruit or grain, and that's what they did. It served as something that was clean and wouldn't spoil, and would take the edge off of hard living.

In conclusion, the only reason alcohol is legal and marijuana is not is out of demand- there's no reason to single either one out, it's just that society has always been more inclined culturally to one and not the other.
But if society were smart, I tell you- make marijuana legal, but don't recommend it, and campaign against alcoholism. That's the ticket.