ECT Madist explain please how the 7 I AM's OF Jesus in John does not apply to the BOC

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
God made no covenant with Gentiles.

There is no "covenant of grace."

Nobody today needs a covenant.

Paul disagrees with you

2 Corinthians 3:6
who has made us sufficient to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Even Christ was raised from the dead through the everlasting covenant which was sealed by Christ's blood at His death.

MADists are not under the new covenant, but all Christians are.

LA

SimpleMan77

Question Sman, why does Paul even bring up a contrast there?

The New Testament has a continuing theme of the new covenant contrasted with the old covenant. It started with a new covenant being prophesied in the Old Testament.

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus repeatedly said "you have heard that it has been said… But I say unto you". Out with the old-in with the new.

The general theme of 2 Corinthians is Paul defending his authority against those who were trying to undermine it to the Corinthian church. However, within that general theme there are other sub-themes.

He is reminding them how much of an able administrator he is of the new covenant, and doing so by highlighting his understanding of it by giving them details.

It is not arguable hear that Paul is saying that the Corinthian church was under this "new covenant".

SimpleMan77

God made no covenant with Gentiles.

So Paul here is saying, in your mind, "God gave me this extraordinary ability to be a very able administrator of the new covenant, but that would have only benefited me if he had called me to preach to the Jews".

1)Why would God have made him an "able administrator of the new covenant" if that was not his calling?

2) why would Paul have told the Corinthian church about how the new covenant brings life instead of the death of the old covenant if it had no relevancy whatsoever to them?

You are turning Paul against Paul.

SimpleMan77

I love the way so many on this forum proudly display their lack of confidence in their positions by reverting to name calling and slinging insults. Any student of human (and animal) nature could tell you that is a sign of insecurity and feeling threatened, but that doesn't seem to matter.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I love the way so many on this forum proudly display their lack of confidence in their positions by reverting to name calling and slinging insults. Any student of human (and animal) nature could tell you that is a sign of insecurity and feeling threatened, but that doesn't seem to matter.

:chuckle:

Right Divider

Body part
A couple of problems with your statements here.

1)I find no basis for Paul ever telling the story of Jesus simply as a history lesson. He told it as a part of his Gospel.
My point was that the people that Jesus were talking to were under the covenants.

We are not and do not need to be under a covenant to receive every spiritual blessing from Jesus Christ.

2) Paul had obviously taught the tradition/ordinance of commemorating the Lord's supper, and was correcting them for their casual approach to it. He reminds them how that he gave to them what he had received (not just some irrelevant historical fact that he'd heard and that didn't apply to them). Jesus's entered into covenant with His church through shedding His blood.
You're just repeating the mythology of churchianity.

Gentiles and Jews can reject that blood covenant, and not take advantage of the victory, peace, power, etc. that He willed to us in His last will and testament, but that is our choice.
Once again, we receive ALL spiritual blessings in heavenly places, not in a covenant.

God makes it plain that people can break His covenant (Jeremiah 31:32), so I'm not sure how Jesus's blood being a covenant for all nations threatens your theology...
The only ones that can break His covenant are the ones IN the covenant and that's NOT the body of Christ.

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
See my recent post. Paul taught the Corinthians to commemorate the work of Calvary by eating the Lord's supper, and makes the statement that in teaching them so he was giving them what he had received (from God is the implication). In that context, he reminds them that Jesus had said his body and blood, given as a sacrifice for sin, was the new covenant.

Why does the word covenant threaten your theology?
It does not. But since the Bible is crystal clear that BOTH the old covenant and new are with Israel, I believe it.

SimpleMan77

My point was that the people that Jesus were taking to were under the covenants.

We are not and do not need to be under a covenant to receive every spiritual blessing from Jesus Christ.

You're just repeating the mythology of churchianity.

Once again, we receive ALL spiritual blessings in heavenly places, not in a covenant.

The only ones that can break His covenant are the ones IN the covenant and that's NOT the body of Christ.

Were there any in the Corinthian church at the time Paul wrote 2 Corinthians who were part of the Body?

In 2 Corinthians 3:6, Paul plainly stated that God had made him to be "an effective administrator of a new covenant". He clarifies that the new covenant isn't "of the letter", but it is "of the spirit".

He administered a new covenant to the Corinthian church. Were they in the Body of Christ?

Right Divider

Body part
Were there any in the Corinthian church at the time Paul wrote 2 Corinthians who were part of the Body?

In 2 Corinthians 3:6, Paul plainly stated that God had made him to be "an effective administrator of a new covenant". He clarifies that the new covenant isn't "of the letter", but it is "of the spirit".

He administered a new covenant to the Corinthian church. Were they in the Body of Christ?
Yes, that scripture is commonly used (and taken out of context) to "prove" that Paul preached the "new testament" to the body of Christ. But that is just plain wrong.

• It's impossible to miss WHO the covenant is with:
    Jer 31:33-34 (AKJV/PCE)(31:33) But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. (31:34) And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
  • The new covenant has the LAW written in their inward parts and hearts.
  • The old and new covenants are with the SAME TWO parties: God and Israel.
  • The new covenant has a priesthood, Paul NEVER even writes that word ONCE in his epistles.
  • The book to the Hebrews quotes exactly Jeremiah (a prophet of Israel).
  • Gods plans for Israel will not fail. Everything that He said will be fulfilled.
    Ezek 36:24-27 (AKJV/PCE)
    (36:24) For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. (36:25) ¶ Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. (36:26) A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. (36:27) And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them].

SimpleMan77

Yes, that scripture is commonly used (and taken out of context) to "prove" that Paul preached the "new testament" to the body of Christ. But that is just plain wrong.

• It's impossible to miss WHO the covenant is with:
    Jer 31:33-34 (AKJV/PCE)(31:33) But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. (31:34) And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
  • The new covenant has the LAW written in their inward parts and hearts.
  • The old and new covenants are with the SAME TWO parties: God and Israel.
  • The new covenant has a priesthood, Paul NEVER even writes that word ONCE in his epistles.
  • The book to the Hebrews quotes exactly Jeremiah (a prophet of Israel).
  • Gods plans for Israel will not fail. Everything that He said will be fulfilled.
    Ezek 36:24-27 (AKJV/PCE)
    (36:24) For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. (36:25) ¶ Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. (36:26) A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. (36:27) And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them].

Who was Paul writing to there?