KJ-ONLYite claims: Enyart does not believe The Bible is inerrant

Status
Not open for further replies.

keypurr

FYI
King James Version

When scholars who prepared the King James version had completed their task they added these very words in the preface, now alas, no longer included in modern editions: "We do not deny, nay we affirm and avow, that the very meanest translation of the Bible in english set forth by men of our profession . . . containeth the word of God, nay, is the word of God: As the King's speech, which he uttered in Parliament, being translated into French, Dutch, Italian, and Latin, is still the King's speach, though it be not interperted by every translator with the grace, nor peradventure so fitly for phrase, nor so expressly for sense, everywhere . . .no cause therefore why the word translated should be denied to be the word, or forbidden to be current, notwithstanding that some imperfections and blemishes may be noted in the setting fourth of it."

As happens so often, God's richest treasures be found in earthen vessels. The vessels may be marred by human frailties, but the treasure is divinely perfect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the translators of the King James Version say there MAY be errors, why do some people say it has no errors. Until men are perfect we cannot assume the translation is 100% errorless.

Last edited by a moderator:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
AVBunyan said:
1. I know that - so?

2. What if I do - can you prove they aren't?

Again, with feeling, who taught you that only the originals are inspired?

Why do you and others limit God so?

You can trust God with your salvation but you can't believe God could oversee the AV committee in 1611. Don't you believe God is sovereign or do you leave it all up to man? Strange...

God bless :banana:

It is possible, but the evidence clearly shows that the KJV has a human, imperfect factor.

Stephen Langton in 1205 added chapter and verses, some of which are imperfect in light of the flow of the original languages and context. You cannot pull things out of the air and say they could be inspired by God. The evidence shows that this was an addition by man and is imperfect.

http://www.fuller.edu/ministry/berean/chs_vss.htm

godrulz

Hall of Fame
MartianManhuntr said:
You are wrong. "monogenes uios" literally means "only-begotten son" but the idea being represented is "only son who is so by nature." Christians are all sons of God, but Jesus is the only son of God who is so by nature. To say "one and only" is insufficient because the Scripture indicates that there are other sons of God who are so by adoption. To say "unique" is also insufficient because it does not specify in what way he is unique, whereas the term "monogenes" carries with it in Greek a very specific meaning as far as the uniqueness that it indicates. It indicates that he is the only son of God who is so in the strictest since, by nature. All others are sons merely by adoption. You could not say you have a "monogenes" car to mean you have a "unique" car, etc. The "uniqueness" indicated by the word has to do with fathership and is not generic uniqueness. In short, it is you who have "made a rookie exegetical error that a first year Greek student would know."

'Monogenes' was also used of human beings in some contexts. I agree with the distinction between the Son of God (triune) and our sonship (adoption).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
keypurr said:
FYI
King James Version

When scholars who prepared the King James version had completed their task they added these very words in the preface, now alas, no longer included in modern editions: "We do not deny, nay we affirm and avow, that the very meanest translation of the Bible in english set forth by men of our profession . . . containeth the word of God, nay, is the word of God: As the King's speech, which he uttered in Parliament, being translated into French, Dutch, Italian, and Latin, is still the King's speach, though it be not interperted by every translator with the grace, nor peradventure so fitly for phrase, nor so expressly for sense, everywhere . . .no cause therefore why the word translated should be denied to be the word, or forbidden to be current, notwithstanding that some imperfections and blemishes may be noted in the setting fourth of it."

As happens so often, God's richest treasures be found in earthen vessels. The vessels may be marred by human frailties, but the treasure is divinely perfect.

-----------------------------------------------

If the translators of the King James Version say there MAY be errors, why do some people say it has no errors. Until men are perfect we cannot assume the translation is 100% errorless.

Do you have an internet source for the KJV preface?

I agree with your bottom line conclusion. Well done and balanced!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Why do these KJVonlyists keep asking Bob to present the version he uses, that he considers to be the inerrant word of God? He's already said that he believes only the originals to be such, and he doesn't have access to them. Are these people that daft?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
Why do these KJVonlyists keep asking Bob to present the version he uses, that he considers to be the inerrant word of God? He's already said that he believes only the originals to be such, and he doesn't have access to them. Are these people that daft?

They certainly are irritating. I rarely support banning, but I would not argue strongly for their continuance here.

Rimi

keypurr said:
FYI
King James Version

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mentioned this too. The only time I think it was addressed was in Post #38, wherein AVBunyan said

I don't really care what the translators said in the preface - the preface is not inspired scripture. I do not believe the King James translators were inspired but what God had them put down was. I take the providential viewpoint of history - do you?

True, preface isn't the word of God. But these translators were at least humble before God and admitted to their inability to be perfect translators. Which brings me to another question: if all Scripture is inspired of God, how can Paul say

"To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord) . . ." (ICor7:10)
and then say
"To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord) . . . " (ICor7:12)?

And there was Moses making an exceptions for divorce.

Is it inspired (inerrant) word or isn't it? If Paul could interject his own thoughts on something, as imperfect as they might be, couldn't the translators also have taken liberties in translating? Hope this makes sense.

one4christ

brandplucked,

With all respect, your post is way too long, and you detract from your message by getting off-topic in several areas, some of which are not necessarily interrelated and should have been topics on different threads.

• The topic of your post was really the position that the KJV of the bible is inerrent. The theme of your post was really stated in #2 "The King James Bible alone is without proven error". This should have been the topic (or similar) of your post and should have been posted in another forum.
  • Your post says almost nothing about Bob Enyart's views on the innerency of scripture, or what he stated on his radio broadcast that relates to your titled post "Enyart does not believe The Bible is inerrant". You just state that, "he sidestepped the issue of an inerrant Bible". What does that mean, did he just refuse to answer? So, to title the post this way is accidental misrepresentation at the least and defamatory at worst. Since your view on this topic is probably in the minority of those who post at this forum, titling your post in this manner is misleading, as if the majority of readers will hold your position as common knowledge or be in agreement with you.
  • The data citing the perspective of youth today and their beliefs about absolute truth does not correlate with your topic that the KJV is the only accurate version. There are a myriad of factors that could (and probably have) contributed to their views, and you cite no study that indicates churches where the KJV is soley used shows more favorable results.
  • In #4, you state that ALL modern versions other than the KVJ contain "serious doctrinal errors". In this list you include the NKJV version. In #3, you state that KJV has been used to translate into several foreign languages successfully. To assert that the KJV could be exactly captured in sentance structure and meaning while going to a receptor language such as Chinese, while simultaneously maintaining that minor changes from the KJV to NKJV results in "serious doctrinal erros" shows how it is not possible for #4 and #3 to both be true statements. Because the differences in the Chinese language/culture compared to 15th century english are vastly different compared to the differences between the language in the KJV/NKJV, the fact that #4 is true makes #3 completely impractical.
  • Because of the above point, if the KJV is the only correction version, then the only way to truly communicate accurate doctrine throughout the world is to have all missionaries teach foreigners thorough command of 15th century English first, and then only distribute copies of the KJV to foreign countries. (all American Christians today must also have a thorough grasp of 15th century english in order to fully understand the KJV)
  • The above point applies to 15th century English being a receptor language from Koine Greek and Greek from Aramaic
  • Not to metion further points brought up in previous posts

I believe your barking up the wrong tree. While we should always strive to preserve the integrity of God's word, we should look to inspiration by the Holy Spirit for correct understanding. Without Him, they are all just words on a page anyway. See I Cor 2:9-16

Brother in Christ

AVBunyan

Inspired King James Bible

Inspired King James Bible

Justin (Wiccan) said:
Try again, AVBunyan. You said "faith plus the internal evidence of what I read..." (emphasis mine) That "internal evidence" is a PGR--the Mormons call it a "Burning in the Bosom," and it's exactly the same phenomenon when it happens to you.

Have a nice day. :wave:

Justin
I don't care what the Mormons call it or what you call it. I look at the internal evidence of what the scriptures say and by faith take it to be so. It appears you don't. What do you believe?

God gave me a brain (may not be much) and gave me a book to believe. It sure seems to bother some of you folks that we can confidentaly say we have a book we can believe to be God's words without error.

Why is this such a bad thing? I guess I'll just have to stand before God and say, "Sorry, Lord, I just believed the book you used and blessed for 350 plus years was the word of God. Forgive me for not doubting it - I guess I should have been like all those smart folks who sit in judgement your word and read all those bibles from Egypt like the rest of the world."

As I see it folks in the past used to take the book by faith but now "much learning doth make them mad." Folks have been educated out of believing the book God has blessed.
1 Cor 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God,

We are living in an age where folks are taught to question what God says - just like Gen. 3:1.

I'll stick with the book - the one God has blessed and used.

God bless
:wave:

Rimi

brandplucked wrote:

Hi Rimi, thanks for your questions. Again, rather than posting long articles, may I again suggest you go to my webpage. There I answer the common complaint about Easter, and I have an article about your "mythical creatures". Please read them before you bring up one of the usual litany of alleged errors in the King James Bible. If you still have a question regarding them, then ask away.

Hello back. Checked out site. Case isn't made. The original Greek must have had the word Pascha, because later Greek copies had that word. The copies the KJ translators may have used would reflect this. To change it to Easter is of man, not God. Jesus is called the Passover Lamb, not the Resurrection Lamb. The word Pascha is the same in Act12:4 and 1Cor5:7, yet one was changed to Easter and the other left as an accurate translation of Pascha.

As for the creatures, it is clear that we don't know what they were so the translators did the best with what they could and used the closest thing in English they could find. No problem with that.

Early editions of the King James Bible, as well as many other English-language Bibles of the past, including the Wycliffe Bible (1382), the Coverdale Bible (1535), the Great Bible (1539), the Geneva Bible (1560), the Bishop's Bible (1568), the Douay-Rheims Bible (1609), and the Authorized Version 1611, and the German Luther, all contained the Apocrypha, but these books were included for historical reference only, not as additions to the canon of Scripture.

Much of the accepted Bible is historical and not canon (Kings, anyone?), so to say that the Apocrypha were for historical reasons is disingenuous. Surely God would've made that clear to the average person, yet many take these books as the real deal.

If you look at a copy of the original 1611 King James Bible, the book of Malachi ends with these words: "The end of the Prophets".

Were these words inspired? So, they were added on by God? If no other bible has that, then is it uninspired? Why would God include questionable books to His Word?

It is ironic and somewhat hypocritical of those who criticize the KJB for including the Apocrypha in its earlier printings, when they usually favor the modern English versions like the NASB, RSV, ESV, NIV. These versions are based primarily on Vaticanus and Sinaiticus manuscripts, which actually contain the Apocrypha books and then some others as well mixed up within and scattered throughout the rest of the Old Testament Scriptures with no separation indicating that they are less than inspired and authoritative.

No, not ironic because most of them aren't claiming the inerrancy of their translations. Only KJOer's do that. If translators came out with a Bible and said it was inerrant today and included the Gospel of Thomas just for historical purposes, we wouldn't take it seriously as inerrant.

Alexander McClure, a biographer of the KJV translators, says: "...the Apocryphal books in those times were more read and accounted of than now, though by no means placed on a level with the canonical books of Scripture" (McClure, Translators Revived, p. 185). He then lists seven reasons assigned by the KJV translators for rejecting the Apocrypha as canonical.

The Thirty-nine Articles of the Church of England clearly states that the Apocrypha have no scriptural authority. "...[the Church of England] doth not apply to them to establish any doctrine."

The Westminster Confession, which was written in England between 1643-48, only a few years after the publication of the King James Bible, says, "The books commonly called Apocrypha, not being of divine inspiration, are no part of the canon of the Scripture; and therefore are of no authority in the Church of God, nor to be any otherwise approved, or made use of, than other human writings."

Martin Luther included a note on the Apocrypha that stated, "These are books not to be held in equal esteem with those of Holy Scripture..."

Yet the translators included them anyway. Silly, just silly.

It is also important to understand that in the early King James Bibles, the Apocryphal books were placed between the Old and New Testaments rather than intermingled within the O.T. itself as is done in Catholic Bibles. In the Jerusalem Bible (a Catholic Bible), for example, Tobit, Judith, and the Maccabees follow Nehemiah; the Book of Wisdom and Ecclesiasticus follow Ecclesiastes; Baruch follows Lamentations; etc.

The Apocrypha was never considered canonical by the Church of England or the KJV translators. It was only included in the Reformation Bibles (and not only in the KJV) for historical reference, much as notes, etc. are included in modern study Bibles.

Again, so why'd they even put them in there??

Final Authority, p. 166-167, W. P. Grady, “Now of the many issues raised against the King James Bible, none is so hypocritical as that of the Apocrypha question. A typical example of Nicolaitan desperation is the sarcastic barb of Robert L. Sumner who wrote: “It is also interesting-and perhaps you are not aware of it-that the early editions of the Authorized Version contained the Apocrypha. Horrors!”

Although it is technically correct that the first editions of the King James Bible contained the Apocrypha, the complete picture is rarely given. What Dr. Sumner conveniently failed to mention is that the translators were careful to set these spurious books apart from the inspired text by inserting them between the Testaments. And to insure that there was no misunderstanding, they listed seven reasons why the apocryphal books were to be categorically rejected as part of the inspired canon.”

Were these 7 reasons in the preface to the Aprocrypha? Why would God inspire them to include things not considered rule/law/canon and of questionable origins? Why not just toss 'm and deal with His Word? Sounds like the translators inlcuded them because, well, they were there and they covering their bets.

The Answer Book, p. 99-100, S. C. Gipp, “Question #34: QUESTION: Didn't the King James Bible when first printed contain the Apocrypha? ANSWER: Yes. EXPLANATION: Many critics of the perfect Bible like to point out that the original King James had the Apocrypha in it as though that fact compromises its integrity. But several things must be examined to get the factual picture.

First, in the days in which our Bible was translated, the Apocrypha was accepted reading based on its historical value, though not accepted as Scripture by anyone outside of' the Catholic church. The King James translators therefore placed it between the Old and New Testaments for its historical benefit to its readers. They did not integrate it into the Old Testament text as do the corrupt Alexandrian manuscripts.
That they rejected the Apocrypha as divine is very obvious by the seven reasons which they gave for not incorporating it into the text. They are as follows:

1. Not one of them is in the Hebrew language, which was alone used by the inspired historians and poets of the Old Testament.
2. Not one of the writers lays any claim to inspiration.
3. These books were never acknowledged as sacred Scriptures by the Jewish Church, and therefore were never sanctioned by our Lord.
4. They were not allowed a place among the sacred books, during the first four centuries of the Christian Church.
5. They contain fabulous statements, and statements which contradict not only the canonical Scriptures, but themselves; as when, in the two Books of Maccabees, Antiochus Epiphanes is made to die three different deaths in as many different places.
6. It inculcates doctrines at variance with the Bible, such as prayers for the dead and sinless perfection.
7. It teaches immoral practices, such as lying, suicide, assassination and magical incantation.

Again, then why have them in the Bible at all?

If having the Apocrypha between the Testaments disqualifies it as authoritative, then the corrupt Vaticanus and Sinaiticus manuscripts from Alexandria, Egypt must be totally worthless since their authors obviously didn't have the conviction of the King James translators and incorporated its books into the text of the Old Testament thus giving it authority with Scripture.”

It doesn't make the KJ NOT God's Word. It DOES emphasize that the translators were just regular men who made mistakes and might very well have in their translations, as they readily admit.

Two of the most important Greek manuscripts for modern textual criticism are Codex Vaticanus and Codex Sinaiticus. Vaticanus contains all of the Apocrypha with the exception of 1 and 2 Maccabees and the Prayer of Manasses. Sinaiticus contains all of the Old Testament Apocrypha books as well as the Epistle of Barnabas and the Shepherd of Hermas in the New Testament. (see A General Introduction To The Bible, by Geisler and Nix, Moody Press, pp.271-274; or The Text Of The New Testament, by Aland, Eerdmans Press, pp.107-109.)

QUESTION: Since the Greek texts of Vaticanus and Sinaiticus contain the Apocrypha as part of its text, and these two manuscripts are used for the basis of most modern Greek texts and English translations, is not your question a little misleading? Why would you reject the original KJV for having the Apocrypha between the Testaments while accepting ancient uncial manuscripts which contained the Apocrypha as part of the text?

Misleading?? uh, no. I don't reject the KJ as God's Word. I reject that it's perfect because man had a tendancy to screw things up. God also created us in HIS image, and look how well we handle THAT!

The books of the Apocrypha were included in the King James Version from the first as a matter of course, as they had been in all versions of the English Bible from the time of Wycliffe (c. 1384), including Miles Coverdale 1535, and the Calvinist Geneva Bible of 1560. ... The deliberate omission of the Apocrypha from an English Bible is first noted in the 1640 edition of the Geneva Bible, ... Not until the nineteenth century, however, did the omission of the Apocrypha in Protestant Bibles become normal.

The feelings of the KJV translators, some of whom were Puritans, must necessarily be the same as those who produced the Westminster Confession of Faith (1645). In no uncertain terms, the Westminster divines wrote,

The books commonly called Apocrypha, not being of divine inspiration, are no part of the canon of the Scripture, and therefore are of no authority in the Church of God, nor to be any otherwise approved, or made use of, than other human writings (WCF 1:3).

Yet, how kind of them to include it so that when a average guy who could actually read got a hold of a bible for the first time (since icky Rome had denied humanity this blessing) he could get screwed up believing that the Apocrypha was just a separate but indistinct part of the Bible, no less to be believed than the OT or NT.

I have struggled with this whole " 'tastes great' 'no, less filling'" debate. I try to catch it on TOL when it's around and other newsgroups. I am still not convinced with your stance, but I trust God to see us thru no matter what.

AVBunyan

Justin (Wiccan) said:
You're quite incorrect. I am not against Personal Gnostic Revelations. I am against those PGRs that contradict fact. Faith and fact cannot contradict each other.

Justin
I'm confused - are you saying that by believing the King James Bible to be the inspired and inifallible word of God contradicts fact?

God bless

AVBunyan

Only the Originals?

Only the Originals?

Now with that let’s talk about this “doctrine” of “Only the Originals are Inspired or the True Word of God”

1. Again, where in any Bible does it say “only the originals” are inspired? Who invented this doctrine and “made it a fundamental of the faith”? Some of you folks are really hung up on this “original” issue. Do you believe that if you had the “originals” in your hands that you would get 110 volts of shock! Do you believe that if you had the real “originals” in your pulpit to preach from that your “baptism” count would go up?!?!? As God as my witness if I had the “originals” in my possession I would lock them up in a safe and preach out of a King James Bible and not bat and eye! Some of you folks would put them in a display case and bow down before them and then charge admission to finance your youth’s softball trip to Six Flags Over Texas!

There is no verse in any Bible that say “only the originals are inspired” – someone dreamed that one up – sounds good – just not scriptural.

Now this next part some of you will scoff at – some will say that is old stuff and some of you might say, “That makes sense to me!”

2. In Tim. 3:16 it says: All scripture is given by inspiration…” If it is scripture it has to be inspired according to II Tim. 3:16. Don’t call what you have in your hands “scripture” unless you believe it to be inspired. The “Bible” says that if you want to call what you have “the scriptures” then it has to be inspired. If it is not inspired then it is not scripture.

3. Look at II Tim. 3:15 – Timothy had the scriptures – according to vs. 16 there were inspired. Did Timothy have the originals? Of course not but what he had was inspired for the next verse says that the all scripture is inspired. Timothy had a copy of the scriptures and according to vs. 16 they were inspired and they were not the originals!

The “scriptures” just told us that something other than the originals could be inspired.

4. Can the AV1611 be inspired? Why not? Who or what says they couldn’t be – II Tim. 3:15,16 says more than just the originals can be scripture and thus be inspired.
Were the KJV translators inspired men? No.
Could what they have put down been inspired? Why not?
I do not believe they were inspired but what God had them put down was.

Don’t you believe God runs things? Don’t you believe that God works all things after the counsel of his own will – Eph. 1:11? Don’t you believe God can control have his hands upon a 1611 Bible committee? You mean you don’t take the providential approach to history? Do you mean that God just let’s man run things on his own? Do you mean that you are putting your faith or lack of faith in the KJV translators, which were mere men?
THE 1611 TRANSLATORS WERE HOLY SCHOLARS AND HOLY MEN BUT MY FAITH IS IN THE GOD WHO CONTROLLED AND DIRECTED THE AFFAIRS OF THOSE MEN! No wonder why you folks keep using the translators as an excuse for faulty translating – your faith is in men and not the Providential hand of an all-powerful, all seeing, all-directing God!

We desire true saints to know that hey have the inspired word of God in their hand so they can be equipped to do the work of the ministry.

Some of us just happen to believe that we have the scriptures in our hands. Many of you don’t have the scriptures and by your own beliefs admit that.

1 Th 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

If you don’t’ believe what you have in your hands is the word of God it can’t work effectually in you. And guess what folks – our work, as a whole, is not very effectual. Part of the reason is most saints today don’t have the scriptures and according to Heb. 4:12 there is where the power comes from today. Yes, the Holy Spirit does the work but the Spirit utilizes the words of God down here.

God bless

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hey Keypurr, please don't put long strings of dashes "-------" in your posts. It really messes up the format of the page.

Thanks!

Justin (Wiccan)

AVBunyan said:
I'm confused - are you saying that by believing the King James Bible to be the inspired and inifallible word of God contradicts fact?

I have absolutely no problem with your claim that the "King James Bible [is] the inspired and inifallible [sic] word of God." That's a religious belief: I believe that it is erroneous, but I refuse to even attempt to dissuade you, because you find comfort in that belief. I respect that.

However, your claims that the KJV is "inerrant" is demonstrably contrary to fact. You've chosen to believe that the evidence is "fraudulent"--well, that's not a religious belief. Technically, it's a fairly minor delusion. However, I refuse to discuss it with you at this point in time ... you've already made it quite clear that since I am a non-Christian, you have grave doubts of my veracity.

Justin

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally Posted by AVBunyan

You can trust God with your salvation but you can't believe God could oversee the AV committee in 1611. Don't you believe God is sovereign or do you leave it all up to man? Strange...
Yorzhik said:
God is not active in this dispensation in that way.

The Closed View strikes again!

So, AVBunyan, do you believe God knows the future exhaustively? That God knows every detail of every decision since before time existed?
Actually, any of the KJV only people can answer those last 2 questions.

Rimi

one4christ wrote:

Your post says almost nothing about Bob Enyart's views . . . titling your post in this manner is misleading, as if the majority of readers will hold your position as common knowledge or be in agreement with you.

Yes, we're off topic per the subjectline.

In #3, you state that KJV has been used to translate into several foreign languages successfully. To assert that the KJV could be exactly captured in sentance structure and meaning while going to a receptor language such as Chinese, while simultaneously maintaining that minor changes from the KJV to NKJV results in "serious doctrinal erros" shows how it is not possible for #4 and #3 to both be true statements. Because the differences in the Chinese language/culture compared to 15th century english are vastly different compared to the differences between the language in the KJV/NKJV, the fact that #4 is true makes #3 completely impractical.

Fantastic point which I'd not considered at all!

Because of the above point, if the KJV is the only correction version, then the only way to truly communicate accurate doctrine throughout the world is to have all missionaries teach foreigners thorough command of 15th century English first, and then only distribute copies of the KJV to foreign countries. (all American Christians today must also have a thorough grasp of 15th century english in order to fully understand the KJV)

Logical.

I believe your barking up the wrong tree. While we should always strive to preserve the integrity of God's word, we should look to inspiration by the Holy Spirit for correct understanding. Without Him, they are all just words on a page anyway.

This is what many seem to lose sight of, that we are to look to our gracious God for understanding. This was an excellent post from which I learned a great deal. Thank you!

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In #3, you state that KJV has been used to translate into several foreign languages successfully. To assert that the KJV could be exactly captured in sentance structure and meaning while going to a receptor language such as Chinese, while simultaneously maintaining that minor changes from the KJV to NKJV results in "serious doctrinal erros" shows how it is not possible for #4 and #3 to both be true statements. Because the differences in the Chinese language/culture compared to 15th century english are vastly different compared to the differences between the language in the KJV/NKJV, the fact that #4 is true makes #3 completely impractical.

Ouch

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Rimi said:
I mentioned this too. The only time I think it was addressed was in Post #38, wherein AVBunyan said

True, preface isn't the word of God. But these translators were at least humble before God and admitted to their inability to be perfect translators. Which brings me to another question: if all Scripture is inspired of God, how can Paul say

"To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord) . . ." (ICor7:10)
and then say
"To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord) . . . " (ICor7:12)?

And there was Moses making an exceptions for divorce.

Is it inspired (inerrant) word or isn't it? If Paul could interject his own thoughts on something, as imperfect as they might be, couldn't the translators also have taken liberties in translating? Hope this makes sense.

Inspiration means the accurate recording of what God wants included in His Word. The lies of the devil and musings of men are accurately recorded, though not always true. Revelation is truth from God. This truth is accurately recorded (inspiration). The common use of inspiration is that it is a bright idea. The technical use in theological circles is the accurate recording of what God wants included, whether true or not. Illumination is the Holy Spirit opening our understanding to the inspired revelation leading to transformation.

Paul distinguished what his personal opinions were from what was a revelation from God. His practical ideas were not always directly from the mind and heart of God, but they were accurately recorded as to what Paul was thinking (inspired).

Status
Not open for further replies.