Jessica Simpson's Outrageous Comment

GuySmiley

Pepper said:
#1. She's not selling sex to anyone, she isn't even close to a prostitute.

#2. What's so bad about her being proud of her body? If I looked that good, I'd wanna show it off too.

She's a married woman who was always all about the good values, promoting waiting until marriage for sex, etc. There haven't been any really huge Jessica Simpson scandals. People are just looking for a scandal here, that's all. She's a beautiful young woman who has confidence in herself and her body, so she's showing a little skin, what is everyone so afraid of?
So we've lowered the standard to: if you don't physically have sex for money, its ok. Geez! She promotes good values, etc. then does the 'boot are made for walking' video. So parents are duped into thinking she's a good role model for children. I have a daughter. I don't want her to dress like Jessica Simpson, or to think that wearing a bikini as small as the one JS wore in that video is acceptable. I dont want her to have JS as a role model. I don't want my daughter to 'show a little skin.' And I wouldn't characterize JS's video as 'showing a little skin.' Actually I've only seen short clips of the video on the news, to be honest. Maybe in 90% of the video she's conservatively dressed, yeah right.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Granite said:
It's odd (or maybe not) that an actress or celeb that makes a habit out of dressing provocatively, yet never does, say, nude scenes in film stirs up such a fuss while actresses who perform in downright grotesque sex scenes in movies don't make us bat an eyelid.

Take, for example, the lovely Jennifer Connelly, who was degraded in "Requiem for a Dream"; Diane Keaton, who hopped from partner to partner in "Looking for Mr. Goodbar"; or Madeline Stowe, who was tortured horrifically in "Closetland." I don't wish these movies on anyone (especially "Goodbar's" disco soundtrack: ugh). But each of these leading ladies, who endure graphic abuse in the course of these films, does far worse than Jessica Simpson ever has.

I guess it's only "bad" if you make a habit out of it...
Who among those who condemn Jessica Simpson (and her dad) ever said that that other stuff wasn't bad? What, we're only allowed to talk about an immodest celebrity who is currently very popular if we also list all of the other famous tramps from the past 30+ years? A thousand wrongs don't make a right.

(I have never seen any of the movies you mentioned, by the way, but I'll take your word for it that they are all filthy.)

erinmarie

I have no problem with wearing a skimpy bikini to go swimming, or even to wash the car....But it's when the person wearing the skimpy bikini grinds on the sponge, and lies spread eagle on the car while holding a hose that I think it's gone too far. It's not just being proud of your body at that point. It's literally selling your body, and that's no different than a hooker on the corner!

allsmiles

Poly said:
I pray you never do have a daughter or any children if this is your attitude. Children are to have parents who look out for them, protect them and want to be good to them. Not a parent who says, "Well, we'll just have to wait and see if I'd let my daughter dress like a slut, encouraging her to show off her body so that she can be enjoyed by men."

You are one sick and twisted pervert.

No offense, but i think you need to calm down a little bit.

Shimei:

She basically sells sex therefore she is a prostitute

basically? no, she doesn't sell sex, i looked up sexual intercourse at www.dictionary.com and that's not what she's doing at all, so don't try bending definitions according to your narrow minded subjective interpretation of reality.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Turbo said:
Who among those who condemn Jessica Simpson (and her dad) ever said that that other stuff wasn't bad? What, we're only allowed to talk about an immodest celebrity who is currently very popular if we also list all of the other famous tramps from the past 30+ years? A thousand wrongs don't make a right.

(I have never seen any of the movies you mentioned, by the way, but I'll take your word for it that they are all filthy.)

Actually, Turbo, you misunderstand if you assume the movies were "filthy"; they are hard to watch but have redeeming qualities in their own way (although I don't think I could bring myself to watch them more than once; some stories are just too tough or unsettling).

Moreover, my point was that the actresses I mentioned are NOT criticized as tramps, merely because their one or two "gratuitous" or "explicit" scenes did not characterize their persona. However, what they have done on screen is more explicit than Jessica Simpson's work. I could provide other examples. Why is one criticized and the other overlooked? Just seems like a strange double standard.

Pepper

Yes, don't let your young daughters dress like that, I wouldn't. But if my daughter was 25 years old, I'd have to accept that she's old enough to decide what she wants to wear and where she wants to wear it.

I don't see where everyone is getting that she's acting like a hooker or a prostitute....she's not sleeping with anyone but her husband....that makes for a huge difference between what Jessica Simpson is doing and what hookers do.

allsmiles

Poly said:
Oh silly little things like how it encourages girls to dress like whores and men to seduce or even rape women. It might mess up families by encouraging married men to commit adultry. But no biggie.

Name me one instance where someone was raped or adultery was committed because of Jessica Simpson's specific example.

Pepper, Granite, do you see these people freaking out? This is crazy!

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pepper said:
A woman should be able to dress however she wants to dress, if she wants to go out with duct tape covering the important parts, she can and it's nobody's business but her own.
What if she doesn't want to wear anything over "the important parts." Is that still OK?
And Jessica Simpson is 25 years old, married, and a long time out of her father's house. Her father can't make her not dress a certain way
He can't "make her not dress a certain way" anymore but that doesn't mean he should defend the way she dresses.
... and he loves her, she is his daughter, if people are getting angry with her for something as trivial as what shirt she is wearing, yes, he should defend her.
No, if he loves her he should rebuke her.

‘You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him. Leviticus 19:17

Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. Romans 12:9

Open rebuke is better
Than love carefully concealed. Proverbs 27:5​

It would be one thing if she was 13 years old and out there wearing that, then yeah, he should probably do something about it.
Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6
But he didn't. He admits that he condoned her dressing like a tramp when she was living under his authority. Didn't you read the opening post?
"When we were in church work, they (my daughters) wore bikinis and short shorts. People in the church got mad at me then, but we believe that what's in the heart is more important than what's on the outside."​

Mr. Simpson must think Paul was out of line when he wrote:

I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. 1 Timothy 2:9-10​

Last edited:

Pepper

but we believe that what's in the heart is more important than what's on the outside."

*shock* What a horrible thing to think! Everyone knows that what's on the outside is WAY more important than what's in the heart!

turbo said:
What if she doesn't want to wear anything over "the important parts." Is that still OK?

Well, not on MTV or on the streets....duh.

He can't "make her not dress a certain way" anymore but that doesn't mean he should defend the way she dresses.

OR maybe he loves and respects his daughter so much that he feels the way she dresses doesn't dictate who she is as a person and therefore defends her.

OH!!! Everyone....this just in.....Jessica Simpson showers without any clothes on! :shocked:

Granite

Hall of Fame
:darwinsm:

(Clears throat.)

In all seriousness, people. This whole broohaha is bigger than Jess Simpson; it's indictive of a problem certain folks have with others.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pepper said:
Well, not on MTV or on the streets....duh.
Duh? You had just said that "A woman should be able to dress however she wants to dress." So that doesn't include total nudity in public (including television and hopefully other media)? Great! Why not?

OR maybe he loves and respects his daughter so much that he feels the way she dresses doesn't dictate who she is as a person and therefore defends her.
Is it right to defend someone you love for doing something wrong?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well gee, Turbo, if her old man doesn't think it's wrong, that's entirely his right, is it not? You people are passing judgment on a man's opinion of his daughter. Good for you. Make sure your own houses are in order, all right?

There are bigger fish to fry...

allsmiles

Turbo said:
Duh? You had just said that "A woman should be able to dress however she wants to dress." So that doesn't include total nudity in public (including television and hopefully other media)? Great! Why not?

Turbo, maybe her father came to a realization that you haven't yet:

people are not walking bible targets.

Pepper

Turbo said:

Yeah, a woman should be able to dress however she wants to dress and I stand beside it. Obviously she can't walk around naked on the streets or MTV because that would be illegal.

Once again, she's just dressing a certain way. It would be a completely different story if he were defending her after she killed someone or something. But I don't believe she's doing anything wrong, and maybe he doesn't either.

With everything going on in the world today, y'all are sitting around freaking out over someone wearing a bikini in a music video. What is this world coming to anyway?

Granite said:
In all seriousness, people. This whole broohaha is bigger than Jess Simpson; it's indictive of a problem certain folks have with others.

:BRAVO:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Granite said:
Well gee, Turbo, if her old man doesn't think it's wrong, that's entirely his right, is it not? You people are passing judgment on a man's opinion of his daughter. Good for you. Make sure your own houses are in order, all right?

There are bigger fish to fry...
Heaven forbid, if my daughter becomes a glorified stripper and I defend her for it (not to mention, profit from it), I should hope that the Christian community would be outraged with me too.

Rimi

Allsmiles, Heidi Fleiss was a Hollyweird madam. Her dad wasn't famous for not defending her.

I'd suggest a Google, but I'm afraid what you'd find.

taoist

I remember subbing in a Chicago high school at a predominantly Mexican school. What those gals would wear makes the Jessica Simpson look seem pretty tame. Oddly enough, it wasn't the old hags hiding cellulite that took the biggest umbrage to skintights and cleavage.

Nope, it was the gay male teachers!

It's all about competition and envy. And you can dress that up however you like.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pepper said:
Yeah, a woman should be able to dress however she wants to dress and I stand beside it. Obviously she can't walk around naked on the streets or MTV because that would be illegal.
So would it only be wrong because it's illegal?

If it became legal tomorrow, would it still be wrong?

Should that law remain in tact?

Or should it be done away with because it infringes upon a woman's right to dress (or not dress) as she pleases?