Jessica Simpson's Outrageous Comment

Pepper

Rimi said:
But remember Pepper, if you got raped he might not think it's a bad thing. He might change his mind from what he thinks of rape happening to those near and dear to him.

Speaking of poor attempts at insults.....

allsmiles

Rimi said:
But remember Pepper, if you got raped he might not think it's a bad thing. He might change his mind from what he thinks of rape happening to those near and dear to him.

Preposterous. I've already addressed this and you're choosing to ignore it to perpetuate your legless argument. of course i would think it's bad thing, but remember what i said about my perspective on right and wrong not effecting anyone else's? the rapist would not think it morally wrong, but of course i would. you're just grasping at straws now, all you have to do is suck it up like a man and admit that you've got no where else to go.

But he knows it's wrong or he wouldn't leave the scene of the crime, or kill the rape victim so she can't ID him.

he knows it is wrong legally, but morally he would obviously not care. he would be afraid of being apprehended by the law, but obviously feels no guilt.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
allsmiles said:
remember what i said about the distinction between morality and legality? a rapist obviously doesn't care about the law and lives by his own code of morality.
You and the rapist have that much in common, since you said you would hunt him down and kill him yourself.

I guess you aren't shy about forcing your idea of morality on others.

allsmiles

Turbo said:
You and the rapist have that much in common, since you said you would hunt him down and kill him yourself.

I guess you aren't shy about forcing your idea of morality on others.

never said i was perfect, nor do i claim to adhere to a god inspired system of moral values.

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
allsmiles said:
Preposterous. I've already addressed this and you're choosing to ignore it to perpetuate your legless argument. of course i would think it's bad thing, but remember what i said about my perspective on right and wrong not effecting anyone else's? the rapist would not think it morally wrong, but of course i would. you're just grasping at straws now, all you have to do is suck it up like a man and admit that you've got no where else to go.

he knows it is wrong legally, but morally he would obviously not care. he would be afraid of being apprehended by the law, but obviously feels no guilt.

Allsmiles, this is silly. Obviously, he feels no guilt? So its your claim that because a person commits a wrong act it shows that they felt no moral obligation to the contrary and/or that they feel no guilt for committing said act. I've done plenty of things that I felt morally obligated not to do, and felt guilt after the fact. Our morals and conscience guide us and steer our actions but that doesn't necessarily mean that we will abide by them 100%. In fact, I bet that some people get off on the idea that what they are doing is morally wrong. They KNOW that what they are doing is wrong and sometimes it drives them and sometimes a given person is just simply bad at self control. What you're doing is generalizing and I'd be willing to bet that there are people out there who have committed terrible acts whom felt remorse not only for themselves because of impending sanctions but because they know they hurt other people and they broke a code of their own.

allsmiles

death2impiety said:
Allsmiles, this is silly. Obviously, he feels no guilt? So its your claim that because a person commits a wrong act it shows that they felt no moral obligation to the contrary and/or that they feel no guilt for committing said act. I've done plenty of things that I felt morally obligated not to do, and felt guilt after the fact. Our morals and conscience guide us and steer our actions but that doesn't necessarily mean that we will abide by them 100%. In fact, I bet that some people get off on the idea that what they are doing is morally wrong. They KNOW that what they are doing is wrong and sometimes it drives them and sometimes a given person is just simply bad at self control. What you're doing is generalizing and I'd be willing to bet that there are people out there who have committed terrible acts whom felt remorse not only for themselves because of impending sanctions but because they know they hurt other people and they broke a code of their own.

that could be true as well, but remorse counts for very little after someone hypothetically rapes someone dear to me. if moral obligation were so important to a rapist, he wouldn't be a rapist, and i'm sorry you have compared your desire to do moral wrong with the desire of a degenerate criminal.

all of this is based on what we think a rapist feels or thinks, we can't get into their heads. maybe he felt a moral obligation, maybe he didn't. the existence or non-existence of moral absolutes is meaningless because it doesn't change the effects of the atrocity. it's a useless squabble and just one more prime example of christians inventing something to complain about when an existing excuse does not present itself. couldn't nail us on JS's boobs so you conveniently shift the entire topic of conversation to a meaningless, pointless, effectless argument that men have been chasing their tails on for hundreds of years.

nice bait and switch, but frankly, i'm just having fun at this point.

Rimi

Pepper said:
Speaking of poor attempts at insults.....

Not an insult, you hairspray inhalingb dolt . . . now that's an insult. What I was pointing out to allsmiles (and using his post to you) was that he has no absolutes. Gee, talk about having to point things out.

allsmiles

Rimi said:
Not an insult, you hairspray inhalingb dolt . . . now that's an insult. What I was pointing out to allsmiles (and using his post to you) was that he has no absolutes. Gee, talk about having to point things out.

why bother pointing out what everyone has been taking for granted? of course i don't have absolutes, and neither do you, you've just been trained to believe that they exist anyway :chuckle:

erinmarie

okay, allsmiles...

erinmarie said:
If it's not absolute that rape is wrong, in what possible instance could it be considered right? :think: Hmm Surprise, surprise! I can't think of any!

allsmiles

erinmarie said:
okay, allsmiles... If it's not absolute that rape is wrong, in what possible instance could it be considered right? Hmm Surprise, surprise! I can't think of any!

not from your perspective, and frankly, not from mine either. we can't see through anyone else's eyes though so we'll never know. a psychopath rapist might disagree with you, and at that point i would too. no matter how i despise it, if one person genuinely believes that it is not morally wrong, well, that kind of leaves us with no where else to go but to accept that morals are relative. it's a person to person thing, on the subject of rape there's a vast majority, like i said, thank the gods;)

Granite

Hall of Fame
At least we stopped talking about Jessica Simpson. Now we've gotten to discussing absolutes.

Like THAT discussion hasn't been had before... :box:

Rimi

allsmiles said:
why bother pointing out what everyone has been taking for granted? of course i don't have absolutes, and neither do you, you've just been trained to believe that they exist anyway :chuckle:

Sure I have absolutes. I believe it's absolutely wrong for someone to rape a baby. You, on the other hand, might be annoyed by it but so long as the baby's isn't related to you don't care. :nono:

allsmiles

Rimi said:
Sure I have absolutes. I believe it's absolutely wrong for someone to rape a baby. You, on the other hand, might be annoyed by it but so long as the baby's isn't related to you don't care. :nono:

it's not that i don't care, it's that it's none of my business. the idea horrifies me, but i can't go through my life sobbing for every tragedy that happens around the world. i barely have the energy for myself.

can this thread just die now?

Rimi

allsmiles said:
it's not that i don't care, it's that it's none of my business. the idea horrifies me, but i can't go through my life sobbing for every tragedy that happens around the world. i barely have the energy for myself.

can this thread just die now?

Exactly. No big whoop. Doesn't affect you. You feel no need to hold rapists accountable unless it affect you. This is just deplorable, allsmiles.

allsmiles

Rimi said:
Exactly. No big whoop. Doesn't affect you. You feel no need to hold rapists accountable unless it affect you. This is just deplorable, allsmiles.

no, it's called minding my own business.

if you lived next door to me and your wife was raped i would certainly feel badly for you and you would have my sincere condolenses (?), i never said that i didn't care, just none of my business. what would you want from me anyway?

Pepper

He never said that HE didn't believe that rape was wrong. I don't believe in absolutes, but I believe rape is wrong, I believe murder is wrong, there are many things that I believe are wrong. As for absolutes, unfortunately, not everyone has the same morals as everyone else. Sociopaths don't see what's wrong with murder, they don't believe it to be wrong. There is no invisible ruler somewhere hanging that says on one side, bad and other the other side, good. The idea of absolutes is just that, an idea. It's nothing tangible. Arguing it is pointless....I used to argue with my boyfriend about it all the time. He believed in them, I didn't. And you know where all that arguing got us? Miserable with eachother and with a whole lotta wasted time on our hands. What's the point in arguing it? You believe they exist, smiles and I don't, which pretty much makes it a mute point. We're not going to convince you, you're not going to convince us. You're just going to continue to use this thread and this argument as a way to say that we're horrible people and that allsmiles thinks that rape is ok, which is not what he is saying at all. We're not horrible people because we don't believe in absolutes, not believing in absolutes doesn't make one without morals. So just drop the whole thing, you're wasting your time and our time.

Rimi

Pepper said:
He never said that HE didn't believe that rape was wrong. I don't believe in absolutes, but I believe rape is wrong, I believe murder is wrong, there are many things that I believe are wrong. As for absolutes, unfortunately, not everyone has the same morals as everyone else. Sociopaths don't see what's wrong with murder, they don't believe it to be wrong. There is no invisible ruler somewhere hanging that says on one side, bad and other the other side, good. The idea of absolutes is just that, an idea. It's nothing tangible. Arguing it is pointless....I used to argue with my boyfriend about it all the time. He believed in them, I didn't. And you know where all that arguing got us? Miserable with eachother and with a whole lotta wasted time on our hands. What's the point in arguing it? You believe they exist, smiles and I don't, which pretty much makes it a mute point. We're not going to convince you, you're not going to convince us. You're just going to continue to use this thread and this argument as a way to say that we're horrible people and that allsmiles thinks that rape is ok, which is not what he is saying at all. We're not horrible people because we don't believe in absolutes, not believing in absolutes doesn't make one without morals. So just drop the whole thing, you're wasting your time and our time.

So, because a sociopath may not see anything wrong with murder, then it's not an absolutely wrong!? That's what you believe.

You and allsmiles were absolutely made for each other. Until something better comes along.

allsmiles

Rimi said:
So, because a sociopath may not see anything wrong with murder, then it's not an absolutely wrong!? That's what you believe.

You and allsmiles were absolutely made for each other. Until something better comes along.

if someone doesn't think it's wrong and someone does, then no, it's obviously not absolutely wrong.

let this thread die now, the last word is very over-rated. :yawn:

Rimi

allsmiles said:
no, it's called minding my own business.

if you lived next door to me and your wife was raped i would certainly feel badly for you and you would have my sincere condolenses (?), i never said that i didn't care, just none of my business. what would you want from me anyway?

From you? Nothing. Not a thing. You could hear me screaming and because it's not your problem, don't worry yer purty lil head. You see the guy leaving my home, don't bother reporting it and helping capture him, because it's just not your problem. No big deal. Sorry to burden you. Wouldn't want to put you on the spot of having to possibly tell a rapist or a murderer that they might be absolutely wrong. Carry on.