Jessica Simpson's Outrageous Comment

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
Legality and morality are oftentimes two completely different things. Legality is objective, morality is subjective. If it were legal for someone to be naked in public than it would be legal, whether or not it is right or wrong depends completely on whatever individuals perceive the nakedness. Some people might think it's right, some people might think it's wrong. You base your moral judgements on the bible, Pepper doesn't. Legality doesn't necessarily effect morality.

Legally right, yes. Morally right, no, not in my opinion. Absolutely wrong? No way to definitively tell. If you have a moral problem with a legal right than that's your cross to bear, and vice a versa.

Legally right, morally wrong. The legal issue is objective, written on paper, black and white, the moral right is subjective and depends on outside witnesses to what can be argued to be wrong. I'm sure there were well thought out cases for why the holocaust was morally right, so to the people who believed it, it was both legally and morally right. To people who disagreed, it was only right on paper.

Completely subjective. Some people nowadays I'm sure still believe that slave ownership isn't morally wrong, but there's nothing they can do about it because legally it isn't right. The law will have a strangle hold on your idealistic moral high ground, or they will be hand in hand.

What is right and wrong is subjective and knowable, in that you base your moral judgements on your own perspective and you know what you believe.

People give a rip about your opinions and they are just as subjective as any one else's.

except people like Pepper and myself develop our own sense of morality rather than having it dictated to us from an invisible, finger wagging tyrant who exists only between the pages of an exceptionally old book.

No offense intended Turbo, I have the utmost respect for you and what you believe.

Now you can suddenly answer direct questions?

About owning a slave, how can you say anything? Did you own one? I thought you would say that you were not qualified to answer.

Here is another question:
Is it absolutely wrong for a man to violently rape a woman?
Please answer without using the word 'opinion'.

koban

And can anybody tell me why a discussion of Jessica Simpson's perceived lack of moral virtue has brought in slave ownership, Nazi's killing Jews and violent rape? :hammer:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
koban said:
I don't see him "admit(ting) that he condoned her dressing like a tramp", do you?
He doesn't call it "dressing like a tramp." But she dresses (and acts) like a tramp in the video in question, and he claims that she dressed similarly while growing up and that those at his church recognized that he allowed her to dress inappropriately.

Do you think bikinis and short shorts are necessarily trampish?
Not everyone who wears a bikini or short shorts is a tramp, if that's what you're asking. But everyone who wears short shorts or a (typical) bikini dresses immodestly.

I live in a neighborhood full of kids and this summer they're wearing as little as possible due to the heat. Most of them are in the pools more than they're out of them, and yes, bikinis and short shorts are rampant. Does this mean that my neighborhood is in rampant moral decline
No, it means our culture has for the most part already forgotten the value of modesty.

or that these kids are tramps or (as another poster has argued) selling sex or acting as prostitutes?
No, it means their parents aren't teaching them to dress modestly.

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to say this:
OK - so according to Paul, she shouldn't wear braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes. Should we confront those who do? How does one dress with good deeds?

Paul is not saying that braids and gold and pearls and expensive clothing are bad and anything else is good. He's establishing a general principle that women should not be focused on drawing attention to themselves by maximizing their physical attractiveness but rather they should rather be identified by their character and conduct. Which category dressing and dancing like a stripper falls into is a no-brainer.

Do you think Paul was out of line in requiring women to cover their heads in church?
Paul made no such requirement. You confuse the symbol for the substance. In 1 Corinthians 11:12 Paul is talking about the proper authority structure, not that women should wear hats and men should not.

If I said that it is not good for a man's wife to wear the pants in the family, no one would mistake me for saying that women should always wear dresses or that a woman sins by wearing pants or even by borrowing her husband's jeans from time to time. Everyone would know that I meant that it is not good for a man's wife to be the head of the household and my point had nothing to do with how women should dress whatsoever.

Paul was using a similar figure of speech, making reference to general customs of his day.

Does your church observe this?
Do we legalistically enforce rules requiring women to wear hats and men not to wear hats? Or course not.

Do we encourage women to submit to their husband's authority and for men to submit to Christ? Absolutely.

Last edited:

koban

Turbo said:
He doesn't call it "dressing like a tramp." But she dresses (and acts) like a tramp in the video in question, and he claims that she dressed similarly while growing up and that those at his church recognized that he allowed her to dress inappropriately.

Not everyone who wears a bikini or short shorts is a tramp, if that's what you're asking. But everyone who wears short shorts or a (typical) bikini dresses immodestly.

No, it means our culture has for the most part already forgotten the value of modesty.

No, it means their parents aren't teaching them to dress modestly.

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to say this:

Paul is not saying that braids and gold and pearls and expensive clothing are bad and anything else is good. He's establishing a general principle that women should not be focused on drawing attention to themselves by maximizing their physical attractiveness but rather they should rather be identified by their character and conduct. Which category dressing and dancing like a stripper falls into is a no-brainer.

Paul made no such requirement. You confuse the symbol for the substance. In 1 Corinthians 11:12 Paul is talking about the proper authority structure, not that women should wear hats and men should not.

If I said that it is not good for a man's wife to wear the pants in the family, no one would mistake me for saying that women should always wear dresses or that a woman sins by wearing pants or even by borrowing her husband's jeans from time to time. Everyone would know that I meant that it is not good for a man's wife to be the head of the household and my point had nothing to do with how women should dress whatsoever.

Paul was using a similar figure of speach, making reference to general customs of his day.

Do we legalistically enforce rules requiring women to wear hats and men not to wear hats? Or course not.

Do we encourage women to submit to their husband's authority and for men to submit to Christ? Absolutely.

thanks Turbo - I have dinner to make and some other chores, but I will revisit this.

The Berean

From wikipedia:

Jessica attended J.J. Pearce High School in Richardson, Texas. Simpson was discovered singing at a church camp by a head of a small contemporary Christian record label and recorded an album over the next three years, but the label went out of business before the album could be released. She dropped out her senior year in order to tour and promote her demo album, which was funded by her grandmother, Joyce (thus the reason for the name Rejoyce: The Christmas Album); she later earned her GED. During this time, she toured with the Christian Youth Conference circuit performing with Kirk Franklin, God's Property and CeCe Winans. She and her father sold copies of the album after her performances.

Tommy Mottola of Columbia Records obtained a copy of the album and, thinking she had potential as a pop singer, signed her as such. Jessica eliminated the Christian influences from her appearance and music.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Lisa Simpson
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Lisa Marie Simpson (voiced by Yeardley Smith) is a fictional character on the animated television series The Simpsons. Matt Groening, the creator of the series, named her after his sister.

Lisa is 8 years old; according to her brother Bart, Lisa is 2 years and 38 days younger than him. This presumably places her birthday as being on May 9, given Bart's birthday is April 1. While she was shown as being born during the 1984 Summer Olympics in one flashback episode ("Lisa's First Word"), given that the characters in The Simpsons generally don't age, no specific year for her birth can truly be given (besides "always" being born "about 8 years ago").

Lisa is an extremely bright girl, with an IQ of 159. Officially, her highest grade is an A+++ which she earned by cheating in a test on The Wind in the Willows. (She later re-marked the test as an F.) Once, when she was unable to attend school due to a teachers' strike, she suffered a sort of "school withdrawal" and invented a perpetual motion machine; Homer chastised her for this, telling her that in the Simpson household "we obey the laws of thermodynamics!"

:think:

Hasan_ibn_Sabah

koban said:
Compromise for the sake of "success". :nono:

Well she really doesn't have that much talent, flaunting her physical charms is all she really has. There are some talented singers and musician who do't go that route, but they have talent.

koban

Hasan_ibn_Sabah said:
Well she really doesn't have that much talent, flaunting her physical charms is all she really has. There are some talented singers and musician who do't go that route, but they have talent.

I try to avoid "pop" culture, the flavor of the month stuff.