Is White Privilege Real?

glassjester

I was talking about access to good schools by race.

I'm not so sure that's true. But that doesn't make it the point.

You could try the same experiment with an under-performing school in the backwoods of West Virginia.

Swap out all the staff with the staff of a successful suburban school, and all those hill country kids will magically start doing homework, showing up on time, and studying, right?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
You will never, ever recognize racial disparity if, whenever it comes up, you look in a different direction.

i recognize racial disparity when i see it:

1336010402210.cached.jpg

glassjester

You will never, ever recognize racial disparity if, whenever it comes up, you look in a different direction.

I recognize that slavery was racist.
I recognize that Jim Crow Laws were racist.

Why? Because they were actually race-based policies.
They were, by definition, racist.

What racist policies do we have now?

And... how did Asians overcome white privilege?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
You could try the same experiment with an under-performing school in the backwoods of West Virginia.

Swap out all the staff with the staff of a successful suburban school, and all those hill country kids will magically start doing homework, showing up on time, and studying, right?
You might see better results if you swapped half the students instead of the teachers.

ok doser

You might see better results if you swapped half the students instead of the teachers.

that was my experience in the urban schools - but not 50%

there were a hard core of about 10% who prevented the rest from learning - if there had been the will among the administrators to remove them, the rest of the students could have been successful

when i taught in the suburban districts, disruptive students were removed immediately

glassjester

that was my experience in the urban schools - but not 50%

there were a hard core of about 10% who prevented the rest from learning - if there had been the will among the administrators to remove them, the rest of the students could have been successful

when i taught in the suburban districts, disruptive students were removed immediately

And why is it that the same cannot be done in urban schools?

rexlunae

I recognize that slavery was racist.
I recognize that Jim Crow Laws were racist.

Why? Because they were actually race-based policies.
They were, by definition, racist.

What racist policies do we have now?

And... how did Asians overcome white privilege?

It's a lot easier to recognize racism when it's explicit. But racism isn't limited to just explicit policies.

Do you recognize that?

CherubRam

Although I am white, there has been many times I was not hired because I was not a minority. I have been told that be employers even.

ok doser

And why is it that the same cannot be done in urban schools?

that's an excellent question i could never get an answer to

it was easy to see it as a fear of success - failure brought money and resources to the district - for example, i was paid through no child left behind funding

didja see my stats on the Buffalo school system?

glassjester

it was easy to see it as a fear of success - failure brought money and resources to the district - for example, i was paid through no child left behind funding

didja see my stats on the Buffalo school system?

So we've incentivized failure? Lame.

ClimateSanity

Safety. Trust. Jobs. Good schools.

It doesn't. It's a matter of how other people treat you, not "whiteness itself".

Do people treat whites better than blacks because of their race??? Could it be that the white people they have run into have behaved better than the black people they have run into? I wont drive a nice car into a crime ridden neighborhood if i can avoid it.

As for other things on your list, whites value education more than the blacks in these bad schools. As for jobs, if all people equally apply themselves, there should be no difference in employment.

ClimateSanity

Swap all the staff from an inner city school with the staff of a suburban school, and those urban kids will all magically start doing their homework, coming to school on time, and studying, right?

Wrong. Unless you give the inner city kids a father in the house from birth.

glassjester

I can answer that question, at least for my area.

In NYC, they found that black males were disproportionately suspended (including in-school suspension) from school. So they stopped allowing suspension.

Maybe that's a racist policy.