Is White Privilege Real?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
As a white I was privileged not to be handicapped by the following:

POLITICS

Charles Barkley and the Plague of 'Unintelligent' Blacks

Charles Barkley recently (2014) explained why "we as black people are never going to be successful."

His reasoning is painful:
"We as black people are never going to be successful, not because of you white people, but because of other black people. When you are black, you have to deal with so much crap in your life from other black people," Barkley said.

Barkley, a native of Leeds, [Alabama,] said African Americans are too concerned with street cred than true success and that's holding the community back.

"For some reason we are brainwashed to think, if you're not a thug or an idiot, you're not black enough. If you go to school, make good grades, speak intelligent, and don't break the law, you're not a good black person. It's a dirty, dark secret in the black community.

"There are a lot of black people who are unintelligent, who don't have success. It's best to knock a successful black person down because they're intelligent, they speak well, they do well in school, and they're successful. It's just typical BS that goes on when you're black, man."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...blacks/382022/

Lon
7djengo7
WonderfulLordJesus
glassjester

Lon

No. It wasn't a loaded question...just an observation via your posts. You could have easily gave me answers to the contrary yet, you persisted with your "projection" line.
Whatever guessing in the dark is, it isn't 'from' my head, thus necessarily has to be projected from you.
May this be the source of your animosity?
To whit: what animosity?

I'm not forcing anything, the disenfranchised of this country seem to be the ones forcing things while your response is to dismiss their actual plight..... only to highlight their violence.
It's a convenient criticism, one where you're enjoying the privilege of comfortably sitting back and cherry-picking your opinion on the issue. Your response is to slam that door in their face and lock it.....and then wonder why there's such animosity and mistrust?
Which ties to a different thread. This one is about whether there is an inherent privilege to being white. Just in this country? In every country?

Ummm... ok, sure.
So go back, "what animosity?'

We were discussing whether violence and anger were a good impetus for good change. The context here is that something gentle and kind can be an incredible motivator. Its stuck with me all these 12 years.

I never thought I was in your equation at all. Rather you are comparing BLM to Nazism.....a ridiculous exaggeration at best.
No. In fact, I was not. I was saying that violence and anger 'can' accomplish things, but it doesn't mean that outcome is right or proper. Think rather "end doesn't justify the means" and "might DOESN'T make right." On top of that, this isn't a BLM thread. It is about whether whites have a special kind of privilege. It does connect to the other, but if it gets too overt, the point and query of this thread will be lost.

Christmas? Menorahs?
Is there a point to your irrelevant ramblings?
No. I just brought them up to be a diversion and without any kind of point whatsoever. Thanks for just cutting to the inane chase instead of allowing it to go anywhere that could possibly make a difference when discussing 'privilege' vs. 'just what the majority may do differently and you don't like.' :up: