Is there a true church?

Samie

There is only ONE TRUE CHURCH. It is the ONE that God through Christ created on the cross. It is the Body of Christ Who is its Head. And one good news: all of us are members. But only overcomers will not be blotted out from its registry of members, the book of life.

Ben Masada

There is only ONE TRUE CHURCH. It is the ONE that God through Christ created on the cross. It is the Body of Christ Who is its Head. And one good news: all of us are members. But only overcomers will not be blotted out from its registry of members, the book of life.

Jesus was a Jew and Jews do not create churches. Jesus never even dreamed the Church would ever rise. The Church of Jesus was the synagogue.

Ben Masada

What I believe is that everyone who:
1. Believes Jesus is divine wrapped in human flesh.
2. Trusts in his perfect atoning sacrifice on the cross and resurrection (and)
3. Confesses it or has ever confessed it...
is a member of the Body of Christ.

This is a mystical union of people worldwide who love Jesus and desire to do his will on earth as it is in heaven. This is the one true Church. The one true church cannot be a denomination because they are all biased in one way or another and there are wolves in every church. Only those who truly love Jesus can be assured of their salvation.

That's not what Jesus said. He said that the only to way to achieve salvation is to listen to "Moses" aka the Law. Read Luke 16:29-31.

popsthebuilder

Jesus was a Jew and Jews do not create churches. Jesus never even dreamed the Church would ever rise. The Church of Jesus was the synagogue.
The church is the temple, they are synonymous and refer to the body, which is the vessel to be filled with the light of GOD, by His grace and through our following of God's will.

Prizebeatz1

Does any Christian church have 100% true doctrine? Which denomination teaches the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

I don't think any of them do. Many of them have a few pieces but none of them have the whole pie. People try to interpret things to make them appear to have the whole truth with 100% true doctrine but these efforts are man-made.

glassjester

I don't think any of them do. Many of them have a few pieces but none of them have the whole pie. People try to interpret things to make them appear to have the whole truth with 100% true doctrine but these efforts are man-made.

To what standard do you compare a particular set of teachings, in order to determine whether a denomination has "the whole pie" or "a few pieces" ?

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Which denomination?
Universal Catholic Church as we say in our
creeds but thats not an denomination.

Where we differ is that Romanists think it's decided
in Rome.

As for Apostolic Succession: We have no positive
proof Peter was ever in Rome, much less he was
Bishop of Rome, much less he was Pope.

Scripture -particularly Acts- argues strongly that
Peter was an apostle but not a pope while in
Jerusalem. It's illogical, and without Biblical
warrant, to suppose Peter gained his papacy only
upon arrival in Rome. IF he ever was in Rome.

Romanists like to retroactively subsume
all of Christian history, but there was NOTHING
resembling the RCC until the Sixth Century.

You can only trace the Roman Bishopric back
to the First Century through unverifiable traditions.

OCTOBER23

PETER STAYED NEAR JERUSALEM

CHECK ALL THE SCRIPTURES THAT MENTION HIS NAME...I DID.

Ga 1:18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter,

and abode with him fifteen days.

Ac 9:32 And it came to pass, as Peter passed throughout all quarters,

he came down also to the saints which dwelt at Lydda. (just west of Jerusalem)

Prizebeatz1

People can discern their way to different, contradictory conclusions, right?

Also, is it possible for you to come to a false conclusion via discernment?

Correct on both counts. That's part of the reason we have so many different denominations saying they have the one and only truth.

glassjester

Correct on both counts. That's part of the reason we have so many different denominations saying they have the one and only truth.

Then how can you say with any certainty at all, that all denominations have only some of the pie?

You must have the whole pie, in order to know which pieces are missing from everybody else's.

Prizebeatz1

Then how can you say with any certainty at all, that all denominations have only some of the pie?

You must have the whole pie, in order to know which pieces are missing from everybody else's.

I use my own discernment to figure it out. I don't claim to have the whole pie. I only know through deductive reasoning that we can get increasingly more of it but that doesn't mean we will ever have the whole thing, at least not while living on earth. We can get closer and closer but I think it would take multiple lifetimes to even approach a complete picture. Our human capacity has limitations.

glassjester

I use my own discernment to figure it out. I don't claim to have the whole pie. I only know through deductive reasoning that we can get increasingly more of it but that doesn't mean we will ever have the whole thing, at least not while living on earth. We can get closer and closer but I think it would take multiple lifetimes to even approach a complete picture. Our human capacity has limitations.

The humility I see in your words are rare (especially here). I appreciate it.

I also find this topic fascinating. So, if you're willing, I'd like to talk more about it.

If our own human discernment is completely fallible, who, if anyone, has the authority to correct us when we err?

Buzzword

Seconded.

I see no one else on this thread demonstrating Paul's point in 1 Corinthians 13:9-12.

"For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

Prizebeatz1

The humility I see in your words are rare (especially here). I appreciate it.

I also find this topic fascinating. So, if you're willing, I'd like to talk more about it.

If our own human discernment is completely fallible, who, if anyone, has the authority to correct us when we err?

I think we all have this inner guide inside us that tells us when we err. It's our conscience. Some people choose to ignore it. We are also instilled with morals from our culture and tradition as we grow up. Rules, standards, religion, parents, schools, government etc. are all sources of correction. They are there for a reason. It can become problematic if we depend on living according to these authorities' standards for our self-worth, however.