Is the Bible the only sacred texts and why or why not.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Hi pops,

nice to see you back.

Jesus says He is the way and the truth and the life.

I think if we cannot trust His word, we should not claim to be His follower.

Jesus teaches practical things to practice. I think that's what we should focus on, not anyone else's ideas about life and how to live godly life.

just my two cents.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I did in the op

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Sorry about that. Here is a copy of part of the OP;

These writings include but are not limited to the Bible, Quran, book of Enoch, the Torah, the Zend Avesta, writings ascribed to the Baha'i faith, the Gita, upinishads and other writings.

These writings are applicable to other faiths not to the Christian faith. Since the Bible gives us the only way to eternal life through Jesus Christ, it is the only sacred text for the Christian. Paul is clear in his writings that the gospel of Jesus Christ is the only way and all other ways are accursed.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
One universal truth source.......

One universal truth source.......

Sorry about that. Here is a copy of part of the OP -

These writings are applicable to other faiths not to the Christian faith. Since the Bible gives us the only way to eternal life through Jesus Christ, it is the only sacred text for the Christian. Paul is clear in his writings that the gospel of Jesus Christ is the only way and all other ways are accursed.

Of course other faith-traditions have their own inspired writings and revelations given to them by God, thru various human vessels, prophets, avatars, teachers, etc. The truth or wisdom in these will be of universal value and meaning, despite the cultural context or nuance of terms, as such knowledge will be relative to such a context, although one absolute truth Source exists for all. That infinite Spirit inspires different vessels during different times and dispensations is both logical and reasonable. That God has only revealed himself in only one religious cult, tradition or collection of books is illogical and irrational given the nature and universality of Spirit.

Paul proclaimed his own apostleship and had the arrogance to say the original apostles (pillars of the Jerusalem Community) were nothing to him! (see Galations). Since he was only about his own personally received gospel, his boast about exclusivity is no great surprise as he broke with the original apostles and sought a following among the gentiles, since no true Jew accepted his anti-torah gospel. Many Jews rejected Paul's gospel and according to their own theological reasons for good reason. Thats just the tip of the iceberg on Paul.

You cannot prove God hasnt spoken to, enlightened or inspired other people, nations or cultures beyond your own religious indoctrination or ignorance of not studying for yourself the various world religions and learning the basics of their tradition and sacred writings. You can just assume it.

I've already proposed several reasons why such a claim is circular reasoning, addressing the truth of universals and God's nature as showing the probability and reality that all perception and knowledge is sourced in God anyways, and is clearer or more distorted in any given school or tradition. The Sun shines on all....you cant grab a ray of it and proclaim you have the whole Sun. God is Light. (You cannot assume or contain the totality of light, only that which you are capable of recognizing and are afforded at any point in time. The timeless however is all pervading).

God is the light, life, truth and love at the heart of all, the source of divine wisdom in all schools, of which Theosophy and the Perennial Philosophy recognizes. Other vessels carry the same universal truths, more or less coloured or distorted by their mediums.

popsthebuilder

Sorry about that. Here is a copy of part of the OP;

You are missing the point that GOD guides all to Christ; not only Christian's and not only with the bible.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Paul proclaimed his own apostleship and had the arrogance to say the original apostles (pillars of the Jerusalem Community) were nothing to him! (see Galations).
Chapter and verse please.

You cannot prove God hasnt spoken to, enlightened or inspired other people, nations or cultures beyond your own religious indoctrination or ignorance of not studying for yourself the various world religions and learning the basics of their tradition and sacred writings. You can just assume it.

It is obvious that you are a non-believer. For the Christian, the Bible is the only true text. All others are bogus and have been written through the wisdom of men, not of God! Your reasons for accepting other sources of sacred text do not hold water with me. I will adamantly uphold the teachings of the truth of Scripture as above all other so called sacred texts.

God is the light, life, truth and love at the heart of all, the source of divine wisdom in all schools, of which Theosophy and the Perennial Philosophy recognizes.

Theosophy is one of the most dangerous of occultic activities. It delves into secret acts and forbidden knowledge and believes that we are God. It denies the true personality and nature of God as well as the deity of Jesus Christ. It also vigorously denies Christ's substitutionary sacrifice for all sin. With these things said and made known you expect me to embrace their philosophy? The warning is for you friend. If you are dabbling in this area beware. You are flirting with spiritual death.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You are missing the point that GOD guides all to Christ; not only Christian's and not only with the bible.

That is poppycock. The Bible is the only text that gives the only way to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

God's Truth

Hi friend, glad to see you back.

Remember, I don't claim you are not saved, as many here like to do.

However, I do love speaking about God's Truth and the closer one is to the truth, the closer one is to the Truth.

I am wondering about what you say here...are you saying God ultimately guides all to Christ and the Holy Bible?

Last edited:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
One Breath and Life........inspires all

One Breath and Life........inspires all

Then for you, the road is broad that leads to life.

God is life. If life is broad so be it.

The important point: A rejection of Christianity and God's exclusive claims.

Let us clarify: I do not accept your claims of your own 'version' of Christianity being wholly exclusively true. I hold the universals of infinity being all-inclusive by nature, and beyond all finite conception. If you begin with infinity, then claiming that one finite expression or manifestation is the totality or finality of infinity is illogical.

I do understand you reject whatever doesn't 'sync' with 'your' 'exclusive' parameters (or nonexclusive, but this is buying 'everything' and calling it all good.

Infinity has no parameters, we define and assume them. The totality includes both good and evil, relative terms.

Why am I saying it? Because you eschew contrast and NEED to see it.

An erroneous statement, since by contrast we compare, appropriate and consider difference, relativity within context. The juxtapositions being juggled here are most peculiar.

Again, you come across as 'embracing' Christianity at times. Caino is much better at voicing his rejection and not muddying the waters or confusing people. Evil Eye thinks you are a Christian, for instance :nono:

I wear no labels, as consciousness itself. Only by way of relating, identifying and contextualizing do I play with words and assume terms and labels. There is no confusing by recognizing pure awareness and being that. Only the mind further con-fuses various ideas, terms amd concepts, playing in the maya of forms and appearances.

I find it much better to identify the 'Christ' as that divine light and life in the soul, the Spirit's anointing within the mortal frame by which contact and communion with Spirit engages. In this way I might be termed a more gnostic, esoteric, spiritualist, mystical 'christian'.Terms are subjective within a given objectivity-context. - and still whatever the objective....all is interpreted subjectively anyways. Spirit itself is the life source, energy and breath of the soul, not terms or concepts of intellect.

:nono: "Sustains" Colossians 1:17 John 15:5 You've a Christless worldview.

My former statememt holds, One Infinite Spirit is the source-inspiration of all life in the cosmos! 0ne Father-Mother-God :)

This One is the sustainer of all. You cant qualify, contain, or quantify the infinite. On these grounds I AM quite secure, since I make no claims of exclusivity on any one religious tradition or its scriptures but can study, research and respect each one as a dispensation of potential light and wisdom.

Lon

This One is the sustainer of all. You cant qualify, contain, or quantify the infinite. On these grounds I AM quite secure, since I make no claims of exclusivity on any one religious tradition or its scriptures but can study, research and respect each one as a dispensation of potential light and wisdom.

One verse FROM this God: Matthew 16:25 (Matthew 10:39) LISTEN to Him. Close your meaningless mouth and listen to Him. At the VERY LEAST, it isn't 'my' ramblings and scattered thoughts that I delusionally think 'stands.' You WILL stand upon your own wobbly legs and give account. Try to act like you at least anticipate 'accountability' for YOUR random thoughts and attempts to lead others. You ARE accountable for it. Me? NOT my words. As simple and real as that. NOTHING you say stands on such wobbly legs as your own prognostications. Again, one verse. "LISTEN."

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Know your own scriptures.......

Know your own scriptures.......

Chapter and verse please.

Read Galations for yourself, I'm surprised you would ask me for that, assuming your knowledge already of the scriptures. Paul proclaims his own apostleship, his own curses on anyone that doesnt preach his gospel (this includes Peter, James and John), the so called pillars and "reputed" apostles Paul demeans by saying they contributed nothing to him! Since his gospel was secretly personally revealed to him, and was not given to him by any man. Here Paul clearly claims his difference and distinction of teaching from the original apostles at Jerusalem, showing his apostolic succession was NOT from the original apostles of Jesus, but his own confession.

A good intro. On differences of Jesus/Yeshua (Judaism) and Paul(Christianity) is here. There are some who embrace a more Jewish-friendly view of Jesus and reject Paul's version of Christianity.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Read Galations for yourself, I'm surprised you would ask me for that, assuming your knowledge already of the scriptures. Paul proclaims his own apostleship, his own curses on anyone that doesnt preach his gospel (this includes Peter, James and John), the so called pillars and "reputed" apostles Paul demeans by saying they contributed nothing to him! Since his gospel was secretly personally revealed to him, and was not given to him by any man. Here Paul clearly claims his difference and distinction of teaching from the original apostles at Jerusalem, showing his apostolic succession was NOT from the original apostles of Jesus, but his own confession.

A good intro. On differences of Jesus/Yeshua (Judaism) and Paul(Christianity) is here. There are some who embrace a more Jewish-friendly view of Jesus and reject Paul's version of Christianity.

The following is rather strange if Paul and the other apostles were at enmity don't you think?

Galatians 2:8-10 New International Version (NIV)

8 For God, who was at work in Peter as an apostle to the circumcised, was also at work in me as an apostle to the Gentiles.

9 James, Cephas and John, those esteemed as pillars, gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship when they recognized the grace given to me. They agreed that we should go to the Gentiles, and they to the circumcised.

10 All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I had been eager to do all along.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
A lil more schooling.......

A lil more schooling.......

Theosophy is one of the most dangerous of occultic activities.

This is comical and ignorant statement. I suggest you learn about the subject your making claims of first. You were given a link to educate yourself. Id also begin with the 3 fundamental propositions for starters. Theosophy does not teach or promote black arts, ceremonial magic or any secret rites, but expounds the ancient wisdom teachings.

It delves into secret acts and forbidden knowledge and believes that we are God.

No secret acts. The ancient wisdom is not forbidden, but can be learned by meeting certain conditions.

We are individual extensions, expressions and offsprings of God. Details may differ per school or tradition.

It denies the true personality and nature of God as well as the deity of Jesus Christ. It also vigorously denies Christ's substitutionary sacrifice for all sin.

God as an athropomorphic personality made in mans image and likeness, yes....but this a more complex subject metaphysically speaking.

Theosophy is not the only school that rejects an orthodox Christian belief on Jesus divinity, as various Christian sects also reject Jesus as God and the Trinity.

Many also reject the concept or efficacy of blood atonement, - I've expounded on this elsewhere in my 'atonement without blood' commentary. Blood has no magical power in and of itself to atone for sins, neither can another pay your debt or atone for your sins, since you are responsible for your own actions, and bear the consequences thereof. All is granted by divine grace of course, but this does not abrogate the principle of earning and self-responsibility.

With these things said and made known you expect me to embrace their philosophy?

Not at all. Im not proselytizing, but sharing knowledge, insight and perspectives pertinent to the subject at hand. You are responsible for your own response to what is shared.

popsthebuilder

Hi friend, glad to see you back.

Remember, I don't claim you are not saved, as many here like to do.

However, I do love speaking about God's Truth and the closer one is to the truth, the closer one is to the Truth.

I am wondering about what you say here...are you saying God ultimately guides all to Christ and the Holy Bible?
I wouldn't say GOD guides all the the Holy Bible, but that all have access to Christ through belief.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is comical and ignorant statement. I suggest you learn about the subject your making claims of first. You were given a link to educate yourself. Id also begin with the 3 fundamental propositions for starters. Theosophy does not teach or promote black arts, ceremonial magic or any secret rites, but expounds the ancient wisdom teachings.

No secret acts. The ancient wisdom is not forbidden, but can be learned by meeting certain conditions.

We are individual extensions, expressions and offsprings of God. Details may differ per school or tradition.

God as an athropomorphic personality made in mans image and likeness, yes....but this a more complex subject metaphysically speaking.

Theosophy is not the only school that rejects an orthodox Christian belief on Jesus divinity, as various Christian sects also reject Jesus as God and the Trinity.

Many also reject the concept or efficacy of blood atonement, - I've expounded on this elsewhere in my 'atonement without blood' commentary. Blood has no magical power in and of itself to atone for sins, neither can another pay your debt or atone for your sins, since you are responsible for your own actions, and bear the consequences thereof. All is granted by divine grace of course, but this does not abrogate the principle of earning and self-responsibility.

Not at all. Im not proselytizing, but sharing knowledge, insight and perspectives pertinent to the subject at hand. You are responsible for your own response to what is shared.

Friend, believe what you like. I'm a Christian, you're not. The differences are great. There is no reason for further dialogue.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Progress moves forward........

Progress moves forward........

Friend, believe what you like.

We all have that prerogative. While engaging in respectful discussion or debate, I will correct, expound upon and challenge info. or claims being proposed in the interest of fruitful dialogue and education.

I'm a Christian, you're not.

This is rather telling. What does this contribute to the discussion? In truth and a matter of 'point of view', I may be more of a 'christian' then some of the fundamentalists here, but that depends on who you ask as there as many versions of 'Christ' as there are 'Christianities'. Some just slap on the label of 'christian' by rote, tradition or hand-me-down, or some vague association or generic definition thereof. A study of early Christianity may show today's version is a different animal altogether.

The differences are great.

That could be a misperception, as such differences are only assumed. - they of course exist, relativity speaking.

At the level of substance and form we are both human with divine likeness/attributes and immortality-potential. It might be advantageous to recognize the commonality than any differences, at least to expand the dialogue.

There is no reason for further dialogue.

That might be your conclusion, but that mentality prevents further learning, debate and fruitful discussion. Learning and revelation are both progressive. Anything that hinders that is an enemy to life's purpose.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Freelight,

We all have that prerogative. While engaging in respectful discussion or debate, I will correct, expound upon and challenge info. or claims being proposed in the interest of fruitful dialogue and education.
I have been respectful of you. When I believe that error has been brought into the dialogue I will let it be known according to Scripture.

1 Peter 3:15 New International Version (NIV)

15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

This is rather telling. What does this contribute to the discussion? In truth and a matter of 'point of view', I may be more of a 'christian' then some of the fundamentalists here, but that depends on who you ask as there as many versions of 'Christ' as there are 'Christianities'. Some just slap on the label of 'christian' by rote, tradition or hand-me-down, or some vague association or generic definition thereof. A study of early Christianity may show today's version is a different animal altogether.
I am a Christian and you are not. What is wrong with that. Is that not the truth?

That could be a misperception, as such differences are only assumed. - they of course exist, relativity speaking.

At the level of substance and form we are both human with divine likeness/attributes and immortality-potential. It might be advantageous to recognize the commonality than any differences, at least to expand the dialogue.
There are great differences friend that are not assumed but fact. I believe that the Bible alone is the sacred text of Christianity whereas I think you believe in a multiplicity of sacred texts. Tell me if I am wrong and I will accept the correction.

That might be your conclusion, but that mentality prevents further learning, debate and fruitful discussion. Learning and revelation are both progressive. Anything that hinders that is an enemy to life's purpose.
If you desire to dialogue further, I'm fine with that.

popsthebuilder

That is poppycock. The Bible is the only text that gives the only way to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
You really think GOD is going to torture all non "christians" who don't believe faith comes only from the Bible, for eternity?

Do you not see how that is slightly sickening and makes GOD out to be sadistic and cruel to HIS creation, knowingly?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You really think GOD is going to torture all non "christians" who don't believe faith comes only from the Bible, for eternity?

Do you not see how that is slightly sickening and makes GOD out to be sadistic and cruel to HIS creation, knowingly?

The only way to come to Christ is through the Bible. You need to read the following;

John 3:16-18 New International Version (NIV)

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.