Is the Bible the only sacred texts and why or why not.

Lon

Many false assumptions, but i'll correct a few above -
:nono: Rather you will 'assert' over them.

I dont demean God, but allow him to actually be 'God'
:nono: We demean God when we don't listen to Him John 14:6 "If" from God, then you certainly demean Him. You demean all but the one you made up in your head. It is simply embracing your sins with what you know to be right. As such, you WILL receive that god at the end. That will be hell and heaven enough because you are stuck eternally with yourself and what you've encouraged and rejected.

Me? I want to be changed into HIS image Revelation 21:4 1 John 3:2 1 Corinthians 13:12

God's Truth

Many false assumptions, but i'll correct a few above -

1) I dont limit God to any one book, neither do I believe the belief or doctrine of 'biblical inerrancy' in its extreme or dogmatic fashion is helpful or necessary. Religious writings may be more or less inspired, and subject to human distortion, adaption and redacting. This goes for anything coming thru imperfect channels, in any faith-tradition. I do accept that we have been given enough thru various sacred writings to inspire and enlighten, AND that these will correspond and resonate to the spirit and conscience of God in the soul, confirming their truths in their study.

2) I dont demean God, but allow him to actually be 'God' (the Infinite One, The All), by recognizing his omnipresence and his actual Being in all space and time, pervading the whole the cosmos as Creator (source-energy, infinite intelligence, spirit). I allow God to be God in all that is known and unknown, so this view fully accepts infinity in all its glory and beauty.

I'll be adding a post soon on the Vedas, from one of our most ancient traditions, Sanatana Dharma (Hinduism), which has one of the most vast and composite collections of sacred writings :)

Worthless mumbo jumbo.

Notaclue

:nono: We demean God when we don't listen to Him John 14:6 "If" from God, then you certainly demean Him. You demean all but the one you made up in your head. It is simply embracing your sins with what you know to be right. As such, you WILL receive that god at the end. That will be hell and heaven enough because you are stuck eternally with yourself and what you've encouraged and rejected.

Me? I want to be changed into HIS image Revelation 21:4 1 John 3:2 1 Corinthians 13:12

Gen.1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

You were born in Gods image and likeness.

Last edited:

popsthebuilder

9:9. They have preferred paltry gains (- this world) to the revelations of Allâh and thus have turned (people) away from

His path.

Surely, evil is what they do!

(Reference to the Christ)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

popsthebuilder

Repentance
ef45d283ff11fa92bc2f02e2d5084251.jpg

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Propositions, perspectives and considerations.......

Propositions, perspectives and considerations.......

No need to 'assert', but more rather share my points of view (propositions) fully supported by commentary, showing the logic, rational and reasons for my observations, conclusions, etc. I've done that here and elsewhere.

The truth of God's omnipresence ( being 'all in all'), and this Deity being the Sole Absolute Reality, ever holds...and is that which upholds/sustains all worlds (all else exists relative to IT). All originates and is allowed existence and potential TO BE, because of this reality, call it 'God' or by whatever 'name' or 'title' you like. Life is being what it is, and allowing all the potentials and possibilities to BE, this is after all what 'God' is, and the meaning behind his name YHWH,...causing whatever he wills to be (ehyeh asher ehyeh), and allowing us as individual extensions of himself, to co-create and co-operate.

But 'God' is not limited to just one 'name' and is beyond name in his absolute Beingness (as Pure Spirit, Consciousness, Energy, Personality, etc.)We have ascribed 'names' or He/She has revealed certain ones to various tribes and nations, in order to 'relate' and 'communicate' by those terms. These 'relations' are different and tailored to each religious tradition and culture, hence the various religious traditions and dispensational revelations thru-out space and time.

:nono: We demean God when we don't listen to Him John 14:6 "If" from God, then you certainly demean Him.

I have not demeaned 'God', but allow him to be all He is and MORE. I allow Jesus to be all He is and can be too (many different views 'Jesus' and the 'Christ' exist), I haven't put him or 'God' in a box.

'God' alone is the one supreme, universal and absolute VALUE, of course......all else has relative meaning and value.

You demean all but the one you made up in your head.

I'm glad 'God' gave me a brain to use, - we are to think for ourselves, use intelligence, logic, reason, intuitive insight, discernment. Hopefully 'creative dialogue' and 'civil discussion' can serve as a catalyst for such :)

It is simply embracing your sins with what you know to be right. As such, you WILL receive that god at the end. That will be hell and heaven enough because you are stuck eternally with yourself and what you've encouraged and rejected.

I have no fear or shame for engaging life as I'm able, exploring my own path, building my own theology, honoring the light within as the guiding principle (conscience, reason, logic) and doing the best I can, with what God provides. I think thats sufficient, for starters. I dont subscribe to the traditional concept of 'heaven' or 'hell' as penned by church fathers or creed crafters,....that we reap what we sow is a universal law already (karma), and in the spirit worlds there are various 'heavens' and 'hells' that correspond to the conditions and quality of one's psyche and soul's development. Natural and divine law is wholly fair and just, ruled by love and wisdom,....all are compensated perfectly, with plenty of grace afforded and infinite forgiveness.

Wonderful. We are all seeking the highest good and unfoldment of our true being and potential in God.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
The Vedic Scriptures......

The Vedic Scriptures......

~*~*~

As noted, since we are considering all the relevant religious texts of the various world traditions, the scriptures of Sanatana Dharma (Hinduism), the Vedas, Upanishads and Bhagavad Gita are essential texts of the Vedic school. The Vedas themselves are most interesting, especially the hymns to the various deities or forces of nature, these of course are 'personified' and have their play in the cosmic-play of man's intereaction with 'God' and the 'devas' (angels, gods, etc.). In my meditation times on the Rig and Samaveda verses, these have a special metric rhythm and even when translated from the sanskrit to English, maintain such, at least in some translations. The devotional flow is similar to the Psalms or other religious odes, as worship to God or the deities.

Below is a just a sample of the sanskrit verses chanted and an english translation. On youtube one can sample various songs and chants of the vedas and Upanishads and notice a wonderful metric movement in the words. These are supposed to carry various meanings in the intoning of the universal sound current (the 'om'), which may affect different realms of consciousness lifting the mind to the higher spheres of the Spirit.

Among the greatest essential mantras from the Vedas is the Gayatri Mantra -

Om Bhur Bhuvaḥ Swaḥ
Tat-savitur Vareñyaṃ
Bhargo Devasya Dhīmahi
Dhiyo Yonaḥ Prachodayāt

General meaning:

We meditate on that most adored Supreme Lord, the creator, whose effulgence (divine light) illumines all realms (physical, mental and spiritual). May this divine light illumine our intellect.

Word meaning: Om: The primeval sound; Bhur: the physical body/physical realm; Bhuvah: the life force/the mental realm Suvah: the soul/spiritual realm; Tat: That (God); Savitur: the Sun, Creator (source of all life); Vareñyam: adore; Bhargo: effulgence (divine light); Devasya: supreme Lord; Dhīmahi: meditate; Dhiyo: the intellect; Yo: May this light; Nah: our; Prachodayāt: illumine/inspire.

~*~*~

Hindu sacred texts

Another significant Vedic verse is paraphrased as "Truth is one, paths are many" or " Truth is one, the sages call it by many names", etc. (the translations here of course can be debated, as in any other) - It can be further expanded within the context of understanding that one totality of reality exists, within which many segways, relationships, points of view inter-act. Yet these are extensions within that one totality, relating within IT. Within a context of various vedic deities, this can also mean some subjects can be called by various names, aspects or denominations.

Here is a good article on it.

The Bhagavad Gita represents the apex or comprehension of the Vedic literature summarized in the various yogas, the different ways of the soul's communion with Spirit, to become one with the Supreme. This Gita does present Krishna, as 'God' the Creator (an avataric form of Vishnu), in his discourse with Prince Arjuna. Contextually as in other religious traditions, 'God' and his prophets or manifestations go by different names.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
:nono: Not what you previously said nor how you said it.

I've made my case, as per my custom, and my commentaries speak for themselves. Each are free to use their own intelligence and powers of logic/reason to make their own determinations on any point of view shared. A point of view, is just that, a point of view. Its 'truth' will be relative to the subject at hand. If you have a particular point you would like to contest or discuss, you may do so.

:nono: You've flat-out rejected the 'wonderful' scriptures posted. John 14:6; 15:5 Colossians 1:17

My views on the bible have been clearly shared elsewhere, - your assumption above is not entirely correct. I accept truth in every religious book and sacred writing, that has some truth in it, but each must is to be interpreted in the cultural context and other factors conditioning the text. Just because I do not take a totally exclusive view or 'belief' that the Bible alone is the only sacred writing in existence, or is infallible, inerrant or final in revelation, DOES NOT mean I flat out reject it.

As I shared elsewhere, I see no need to ASSUME inerrancy necessarily for the scriptures of any religious cult or tradition, notwithstanding the importance of such writing to the adherents of such traditions. Since 'God' is a universal, timeless and infinite reality, we contextualize said Deity in different ways, formats and dispensations. It is best to recognize truth WHEREVER it can be found, instead of organize, condense or canonize it, and then worship that 'canon' as the 'be all' and 'end all' of truth. I find such a gesture as illogical, in due light of the reality of the infinite itself, and progressive revelation.

Lon

If you have a particular point you would like to contest or discuss, you may do so.
... and this Deity...all else exists relative to IT
~*~*~

The primeval sound; Bhur: the physical body/physical realm; Bhuvah: the life force/the mental realm Suvah: the soul/spiritual realm; Tat: That (God); Savitur: the Sun, Creator (source of all life); Vareñyam: adore; Bhargo: effulgence (divine light); Devasya: supreme Lord; Dhīmahi: meditate; Dhiyo: the intellect; Yo: May this light; Nah: our; Prachodayāt: illumine/inspire.

~*~*~

Not sacred, not divine. Sun-god? Basically yet and still evolution-worship, the same as you believe about your god, P.J. Your god is stuck in the VERY limited confines of your mind and this finite galaxy. Mine? WAY beyond it. I am the 'creation' of this God, not the 'reality' full of Him. You? --> All you. You WILL live forever with the god of your imagination and one to whom you will NOT bow. Me? Job 13:15 I don't WANT to be my own God.
Your god doesn't even have a personality? :nono: not the same God by any means.

My views on the bible have been clearly shared elsewhere, - your assumption above is not entirely correct. I accept truth in every religious book and sacred writing, that has some truth in it, but each must is to be interpreted in the cultural context and other factors conditioning the text. Just because I do not take a totally exclusive view or 'belief' that the Bible alone is the only sacred writing in existence, or is infallible, inerrant or final in revelation, DOES NOT mean I flat out reject it.

As I shared elsewhere, I see no need to ASSUME inerrancy necessarily for the scriptures of any religious cult or tradition, notwithstanding the importance of such writing to the adherents of such traditions. Since 'God' is a universal, timeless and infinite reality, we contextualize said Deity in different ways, formats and dispensations. It is best to recognize truth WHEREVER it can be found, instead of organize, condense or canonize it, and then worship that 'canon' as the 'be all' and 'end all' of truth. I find such a gesture as illogical, in due light of the reality of the infinite itself, and progressive revelation.
No, not 'illogical' but rather 'indigestible' to your tastes. It is "if this is God, I don't want Him."
Wonderful. We are all seeking the highest good and unfoldment of our true being and potential in God.
:nono: 1 Corinthians 3:11-13

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Theo bytes.......

Theo bytes.......

Not sacred, not divine. Sun-god? Basically yet and still evolution-worship, the same as you believe about your god, P.J. Your god is stuck in the VERY limited confines of your mind and this finite galaxy.

You'd have to learn more about Vedic theology/cosmology, the basics behind Hinduism (more appropriately named 'sanatana dharma' (the eternal 'way' or 'religion'), and more particularly that the deities mentioned in the Vedas (oldest vedic texts) were the older primitive deities who represented different natural forces, powers and elements, so its a matter of terminology, meanings and context with the Vedas particularly, then later the Upanishads are the philosophical discourses expounding on the relationship between 'Brahman' (Supreme Soul/Spirit) and the 'atman' (individual soul/spirit), so that in time was evolution of insight, and various levels and contexts from which to relate.

There is an evolution, unfolding in life itself, so the vedic system, just like other systems have progressive revelation, new dispensations, new modes of religious experience. - with such new streams of revelation, there comes some new 'terms' and meanings. Various sun-deities like Surya and Savitar, are among the vedic deities of the older priestly hymns and rites, but no longer have such a prominent role within the greater spectrum of modern day Hinduism (except in figurative/allegorical terms), as various schools have expanded since then and evolved from the older framework of the ancient vedas, with additional scriptures, modifications/personifications of God, etc. The original Vedas do hold as the fundamental and supreme foundation in terms of historical/cultural roots, but the tree grew many branches.

As far as I know, few hindus worship worship the Sun itself as 'God', as Brahman Alone is the Supreme Universal Deity, and all personified gods/goddesses, devas, etc. are but expressions, embodiments, manifestations of Brahman, in various forms. ALSO, I'm just sharing observations of the Vedic school and how they view, approach and relate to 'God' (Brahman),...this 'God' is also abiding in each soul as the 'atman', being made of the same essence,....which is what the Upanishads and later schools elaborate over, how that Brahman and atman are the same and/or different, as different views and perspectives exist among the Hindu schools.

Mine? WAY beyond it.

Same here, as I've always proclaimed 'God' as INFINITE, hence no finite dimension, form, space, time-zone, personification can ever contain fully or conclude 'God', since the INFINITE is EVER outside of and beyond the finite,...the finite arises IN the infinite!

I am the 'creation' of this God, not the 'reality' full of Him. You? --> All you. You WILL live forever with the god of your imagination and one to whom you will NOT bow. Me? Job 13:15 I don't WANT to be my own God.

Again, an issue of defining terms and assuming 'relationships' with the 'Creator' and 'Creation'. I've never claimed to be my own 'god' or to be 'God the Supreme, the infinite'. That would be a silly assumption, juxtaposed prematurely by a propensity to accept certain presumptions. I'm ever considering and reviewing the metaphysics involved in various teachings, and admit some aspects I can know or perceive, admitting some features that I DO NOT KNOW. On those matters or points, I can only admit agnosticism, admitting I dont know, but I may speculate or offer a hypothesis. Some points of view are subject to change.

Your god doesn't even have a personality? :nono: not the same God by any means.

The issue of Deity and Personality (here specifically on the Holy Spirit), I've addressed elsewhere, one can explore that subject on many different levels. Also from a Hindu perspective, their tradition accepts that Brahman has 'nirguna' and 'saguna' aspects.....the former has no form, qualities or attributes,....the latter does have form, qualities, attributes, personality....of which 'Ishwara' (personified God, personal Lord) is a form, and all the other deity-personalities. Hinduism allows for a great diversity.

I for one do not limit 'God' to being a 'personality', yet see Deity as including personality, of course, but there are aspects of 'God' that are 'super-personal' (beyond any human/finite conception of personality) and aspects of Spirit that appear non or trans-personal. I could name one resource that goes deeper into this subject, as in the Urantia Book, however...the UB does hold to a classical theist view that God is a true and eternal Personality (even a compound of 3 divine personalities within a 'Paradise Trinity'), and rejects pantheism in its various forms, although its total cosmology is more pan-en-theistic, which more inclusive to the truth of most religious systems, since logic holds we see 'God' as BOTH immanent within and transcendent to creation.

No, not 'illogical' but rather 'indigestible' to your tastes. It is "if this is God, I don't want Him."

Thats fine Lon,....I'm not invested in converting anyone to any particular view necessarily, but sharing, educating and encouraging inter-faith dialogue, expanding consciousness, from an eclectic world view.

A post on Blavatsky's view of 'unity of religions' will be forthcoming, as I identify in a more generic liberal sense as a 'theosophist' with view to being a patron of esoteric science and the ancient wisdom schools. Blavatsky was pretty tough on eccleiastical Christianity and its priestcraft, but in terms of expounding the universal truth and and principles of divine wisdom and nature, she was certainly a pioneer :) - we would note, that the divine law and principles of Deity/Nature are most fundamental and honored within Theosophy, and the traditional notion of an anthropomorphic and personal 'God' is not assumed, as is held in some form within the Abrahamic tradition. In some essays its outright rejected, while honor is given to the divine wisdom and law itself, as an Impersonal Universal Divine Principle, The Absolute, The All, Pure Spirit, Eternal Essence, Pure Energy, LIFE itself...the No-Thing from which every-thing derives, arises and disintegrates back into.

Lon

A lot longer than we generally interact with one another so fair warning, indulgence, or whatever is needed for such:

You'd have to learn more about Vedic theology/cosmology, the basics behind Hinduism (more appropriately named 'sanatana dharma' (the eternal 'way' or 'religion'), and more particularly that the deities mentioned in the Vedas (oldest vedic texts) were the older primitive deities who represented different natural forces, powers and elements, so its a matter of terminology, meanings and context with the Vedas particularly, then later the Upanishads are the philosophical discourses expounding on the relationship between 'Brahman' (Supreme Soul/Spirit) and the 'atman' (individual soul/spirit), so that in time was evolution of insight, and various levels and contexts from which to relate.
I've a good general grasp. I'm not really interested because I already am well aware that the two are incompatible. Christianity makes exclusive claims, and I believe they are God very God's claims John 14:6

There is an evolution, unfolding in life itself, so the vedic system, just like other systems have progressive revelation, new dispensations, new modes of religious experience. - with such new streams of revelation, there comes some new 'terms' and meanings. Various sun-deities like Surya and Savitar, are among the vedic deities of the older priestly hymns and rites, but no longer have such a prominent role within the greater spectrum of modern day Hinduism (except in figurative/allegorical terms), as various schools have expanded since then and evolved from the older framework of the ancient vedas, with additional scriptures, modifications/personifications of God, etc. The original Vedas do hold as the fundamental and supreme foundation in terms of historical/cultural roots, but the tree grew many branches.
That's terrible!
As far as I know, few hindus worship worship the Sun itself as 'God', as Brahman Alone is the Supreme Universal Deity, and all personified gods/goddesses, devas, etc. are but expressions, embodiments, manifestations of Brahman, in various forms. ALSO, I'm just sharing observations of the Vedic school and how they view, approach and relate to 'God' (Brahman),...this 'God' is also abiding in each soul as the 'atman', being made of the same essence,....which is what the Upanishads and later schools elaborate over, how that Brahman and atman are the same and/or different, as different views and perspectives exist among the Hindu schools.
Either 'we' make gods in our own likeness (certainly true of hundreds/thousands of Hindu deities), OR God, Himself meets us somehow.

A few presuppositions (all of which I believe you eschew):

1) Something has happened where God doesn't clearly communicate in an ongoing manner. Something seems to have gotten in the way.
2) If the thing I don't like about myself, is also the thing God doesn't like about me, I have a place to start: Neither of us want that thing that hurts other people and is often selfish and self-interested. It could be, between you and I, it might be one of those things you dislike about me too.
3) If that something is missing, I might, as C.S. Lewis described it: intuitively know something is wrong, not as it should be.
4) If that that separates us from communication, the one of us that isn't messed up, would be the one that needs to intervene or I'm stuck.

Now to you and I:

1) Obviously, clearly, something is in the way and it isn't 'just' being wrong. It is something fundamentally different. I assume that I need mercy, grace, and repair (salvation). I also think we have a stewardship with our minds, and such is ego-centric, but because I'm the one needing repair, I know for a fact that we (you and I) need that to happen and that it is completely outside ourselves BECAUSE it is broken in the first place. If not? We'd not be having this conversation. Imho, you CAN'T argue against this because of it.

2) That something 'we' don't like. That thing that troubles us about ourselves, about one another ISN'T of God! It can't be. You hate it. I hate it. At least you are supposed to. It is VERY wrong to indulge in self at the expense of another. You know it, I know it. The Bible calls it sin.
Sin doesn't belong. I'm not sure what world you'll have that tries to 'include' that. No 'evolving' is going to work. We've either had 6thousand or a billion years to work on it already. "We" aren't our own gods. This is NOT going to happen sans His intervention. Either I'm right or you are, and frankly, I've no hope or comfort if its all left in our hands. I know what we are capable of 'with' God and what is impossible without Him. We MUST become new creations "And this not of yourselves" Ephesians 2:8-10

3) That thing is both an ugly thing, a death thing, and a 'without God' thing. Sure, I have some things intact BUT not enough. A car that doesn't go down the road may function in every other way. It is that 'image of what is supposed to be' that lends to the fact that we aren't quite measuring up. We aren't doing what we are supposed to. It might be nice to sit in the garage, turn up the heat, and listen to the music, but without going down the road? Not what is supposed to be happening. Every religion is trying to be 'happy' with that. The One Who made us, is trying to tells us we are made for something else. We are clay, He is the Creator. Your version often expresses as 'you' in the driver seat and 'you' asking the Creator to bow or meet you halfway. That isn't how a servant, created as a servant, is supposed to be. "gods?" Only in the sense that relationship of love reaches us. My children are my friends, but they are not ONLY my friends. The disciples weren't only friends, they were called to a hard life of sacrificial love.

4) There is absolutely NO WAY you can find a relationship with God by yourself. First, you and I are caught in sin and God cannot abide. It separates us from Him. John 15:5? You and I CANNOT live without Him. Colossians 1:17 Flowers in a jar will bloom a few days, but cut off, it is a mirage of life. They are dead already. Romans 3:23, 5:8, 6:23 It is all very authoritative and beyond your or my ability to reason out. It is God reaching us, rather than our feeble attempts (because we are already falling short) can reach.

Same here, as I've always proclaimed 'God' as INFINITE, hence no finite dimension, form, space, time-zone, personification can ever contain fully or conclude 'God', since the INFINITE is EVER outside of and beyond the finite,...the finite arises IN the infinite!
As long as you will only take God on YOUR terms, he/it will always be finite because that is ALL you allow. If God doesn't 'get' to dictate then you are left to wander the cosmos (a finite place). EVENTUALLY, it isn't as vast as you thought it was. It might 'seem' like heaven until that day. It has a limit and is NO heaven at all. It is only as far as we, interacting with our environment, can conceive and then it is all over. Often, I think your God is too small. It is actually walking through that narrow door that infinity opens up John 14:6 You think He is finite, but He is the one from where all 'finite' that-seems-infinite come. Colossians 1:17 1 John 3:2 John 15:5

Again, an issue of defining terms and assuming 'relationships' with the 'Creator' and 'Creation'. I've never claimed to be my own 'god' or to be 'God the Supreme, the infinite'. That would be a silly assumption, juxtaposed prematurely by a propensity to accept certain presumptions. I'm ever considering and reviewing the metaphysics involved in various teachings, and admit some aspects I can know or perceive, admitting some features that I DO NOT KNOW. On those matters or points, I can only admit agnosticism, admitting I dont know, but I may speculate or offer a hypothesis. Some points of view are subject to change.
:think: Only 'some.' :(

I for one do not limit 'God' to being a 'personality'
Thus He isn't a being you can relate to. Can you 'pray' to an "It?"
Can 'It' interact with you in a meaningful way? :nono: "We" are created in "His" image. To deny that is to deny yourself that which He purposefully put there. It isn't 'limiting' God to allow Him to define Himself. It can be nothing BUT infinite.

and rejects pantheism in its various forms, although its total cosmology is more pan-en-theistic, which more inclusive to the truth of most religious systems, since logic holds we see 'God' as BOTH immanent within and transcendent to creation.
In that sense I probably have more agreement, but we have to take God's revelation of Himself. The Bible is the ONLY source that claims to be directly from God with His direct quotes. Every other religion is man trying to reach, rather than God reaching man. On the flip side, you DO limit God to pantheism instead of pan-en-theism because you DON'T limit Him to what He claims to be :noway: I know it doesn't look that way at first glance, but any conception outside of His clear conveyance is shutting your mind off. Again, a door TO infinity is perhaps a very small thing or concept, but it opens to the actual infinite. Everything this side? Finite. The ONLY way into infinite would be through invitation. John 14:6

Thats fine Lon,....I'm not invested in converting anyone to any particular view necessarily, but sharing, educating and encouraging inter-faith dialogue, expanding consciousness, from an eclectic world view.
As given, such is a rejection of particularly 1-4 above. It is embracing all, including the glaring lack of God's presence AND a condition we all know is wrong. It ALSO looks like you are VERY invested in conversion to me. Link after link, 700 pages of Urantia, it all looks like propaganda. I'll not contradict you, but it 'looks' like these two observations are very much at odds with one another.

A post on Blavatsky's view of 'unity of religions' will be forthcoming, as I identify in a more generic liberal sense as a 'theosophist' with view to being a patron of esoteric science and the ancient wisdom schools. Blavatsky was pretty tough on eccleiastical Christianity and its priestcraft, but in terms of expounding the universal truth and and principles of divine wisdom and nature, she was certainly a pioneer :) - we would note, that the divine law and principles of Deity/Nature are most fundamental and honored within Theosophy, and the traditional notion of an anthropomorphic and personal 'God' is not assumed, as is held in some form within the Abrahamic tradition. In some essays its outright rejected, while honor is given to the divine wisdom and law itself, as an Impersonal Universal Divine Principle, The Absolute, The All, Pure Spirit, Eternal Essence, Pure Energy, LIFE itself...the No-Thing from which every-thing derives, arises and disintegrates back into.
Ah, see? LOT of work for one not seeking to influence or convert. It ALSO contradicts, as it would appear by Biblical and Christian terms, to be totally against God's revelation and intent. It may seem I hound you a bit, but I don't want you to ever misunderstand the stark disagreement AND I want a few you've kind of made 'think' you are a Christian, know that you are opposed to what most understand Christianity to be as well as diametrically opposed including the Urantia, to the Christ's recorded words and truths. There can be no fellowship between such a rejection and light cannot fellowship with darkness. Again, by way of 1-4, you'd conclude with me this is so, but for some reason, you are recalcitrant from being very up front about the stark disagreement and often portray rather, that you are a 'Christian' yet rejecting these VERY Christian truths.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
A lot longer than we generally interact with one another so fair warning, indulgence, or whatever is needed for such:

I've a good general grasp. I'm not really interested because I already am well aware that the two are incompatible. Christianity makes exclusive claims, and I believe they are God very God's claims John 14:6

That's terrible!

Either 'we' make gods in our own likeness (certainly true of hundreds/thousands of Hindu deities), OR God, Himself meets us somehow.

A few presuppositions (all of which I believe you eschew):

1) Something has happened where God doesn't clearly communicate in an ongoing manner. Something seems to have gotten in the way.
2) If the thing I don't like about myself, is also the thing God doesn't like about me, I have a place to start: Neither of us want that thing that hurts other people and is often selfish and self-interested. It could be, between you and I, it might be one of those things you dislike about me too.
3) If that something is missing, I might, as C.S. Lewis described it: intuitively know something is wrong, not as it should be.
4) If that that separates us from communication, the one of us that isn't messed up, would be the one that needs to intervene or I'm stuck.

Now to you and I:

1) Obviously, clearly, something is in the way and it isn't 'just' being wrong. It is something fundamentally different. I assume that I need mercy, grace, and repair (salvation). I also think we have a stewardship with our minds, and such is ego-centric, but because I'm the one needing repair, I know for a fact that we (you and I) need that to happen and that it is completely outside ourselves BECAUSE it is broken in the first place. If not? We'd not be having this conversation. Imho, you CAN'T argue against this because of it.

2) That something 'we' don't like. That thing that troubles us about ourselves, about one another ISN'T of God! It can't be. You hate it. I hate it. At least you are supposed to. It is VERY wrong to indulge in self at the expense of another. You know it, I know it. The Bible calls it sin.
Sin doesn't belong. I'm not sure what world you'll have that tries to 'include' that. No 'evolving' is going to work. We've either had 6thousand or a billion years to work on it already. "We" aren't our own gods. This is NOT going to happen sans His intervention. Either I'm right or you are, and frankly, I've no hope or comfort if its all left in our hands. I know what we are capable of 'with' God and what is impossible without Him. We MUST become new creations "And this not of yourselves" Ephesians 2:8-10

3) That thing is both an ugly thing, a death thing, and a 'without God' thing. Sure, I have some things intact BUT not enough. A car that doesn't go down the road may function in every other way. It is that 'image of what is supposed to be' that lends to the fact that we aren't quite measuring up. We aren't doing what we are supposed to. It might be nice to sit in the garage, turn up the heat, and listen to the music, but without going down the road? Not what is supposed to be happening. Every religion is trying to be 'happy' with that. The One Who made us, is trying to tells us we are made for something else. We are clay, He is the Creator. Your version often expresses as 'you' in the driver seat and 'you' asking the Creator to bow or meet you halfway. That isn't how a servant, created as a servant, is supposed to be. "gods?" Only in the sense that relationship of love reaches us. My children are my friends, but they are not ONLY my friends. The disciples weren't only friends, they were called to a hard life of sacrificial love.

4) There is absolutely NO WAY you can find a relationship with God by yourself. First, you and I are caught in sin and God cannot abide. It separates us from Him. John 15:5? You and I CANNOT live without Him. Colossians 1:17 Flowers in a jar will bloom a few days, but cut off, it is a mirage of life. They are dead already. Romans 3:23, 5:8, 6:23 It is all very authoritative and beyond your or my ability to reason out. It is God reaching us, rather than our feeble attempts (because we are already falling short) can reach.

As long as you will only take God on YOUR terms, he/it will always be finite because that is ALL you allow. If God doesn't 'get' to dictate then you are left to wander the cosmos (a finite place). EVENTUALLY, it isn't as vast as you thought it was. It might 'seem' like heaven until that day. It has a limit and is NO heaven at all. It is only as far as we, interacting with our environment, can conceive and then it is all over. Often, I think your God is too small. It is actually walking through that narrow door that infinity opens up John 14:6 You think He is finite, but He is the one from where all 'finite' that-seems-infinite come. Colossians 1:17 1 John 3:2 John 15:5

:think: Only 'some.' :(

Thus He isn't a being you can relate to. Can you 'pray' to an "It?"
Can 'It' interact with you in a meaningful way? :nono: "We" are created in "His" image. To deny that is to deny yourself that which He purposefully put there. It isn't 'limiting' God to allow Him to define Himself. It can be nothing BUT infinite.

In that sense I probably have more agreement, but we have to take God's revelation of Himself. The Bible is the ONLY source that claims to be directly from God with His direct quotes. Every other religion is man trying to reach, rather than God reaching man. On the flip side, you DO limit God to pantheism instead of pan-en-theism because you DON'T limit Him to what He claims to be :noway: I know it doesn't look that way at first glance, but any conception outside of His clear conveyance is shutting your mind off. Again, a door TO infinity is perhaps a very small thing or concept, but it opens to the actual infinite. Everything this side? Finite. The ONLY way into infinite would be through invitation. John 14:6

As given, such is a rejection of particularly 1-4 above. It is embracing all, including the glaring lack of God's presence AND a condition we all know is wrong. It ALSO looks like you are VERY invested in conversion to me. Link after link, 700 pages of Urantia, it all looks like propaganda. I'll not contradict you, but it 'looks' like these two observations are very much at odds with one another.

Ah, see? LOT of work for one not seeking to influence or convert. It ALSO contradicts, as it would appear by Biblical and Christian terms, to be totally against God's revelation and intent. It may seem I hound you a bit, but I don't want you to ever misunderstand the stark disagreement AND I want a few you've kind of made 'think' you are a Christian, know that you are opposed to what most understand Christianity to be as well as diametrically opposed including the Urantia, to the Christ's recorded words and truths. There can be no fellowship between such a rejection and light cannot fellowship with darkness. Again, by way of 1-4, you'd conclude with me this is so, but for some reason, you are recalcitrant from being very up front about the stark disagreement and often portray rather, that you are a 'Christian' yet rejecting these VERY Christian truths.

My basic worldview, theology and philosophical approach holds with some of those essentials shared here and elsewhere.

I see God as universal, infinite, all-pervading, all-encompassing, absolute, ultimate, supreme, immanent and transcendental, personal and transpersonal, knowable and unknowable, source of all creation, etc.

This God manifests in different forms, personalities, archetypes. The research and study of each religious tradition and their sacred writings demonstrates this.

As per my first post here, God is the Breath that inspires all other breaths.

Lon

My basic worldview, theology and philosophical approach holds with some of those essentials shared here and elsewhere.

I see God as universal, infinite, all-pervading, all-encompassing, absolute, ultimate, supreme, immanent and transcendental, personal and transpersonal, knowable and unknowable, source of all creation, etc.

This God manifests in different forms, personalities, archetypes. The research and study of each religious tradition and their sacred writings demonstrates this.
Then for you, the road is broad that leads to life. The important point: A rejection of Christianity and God's exclusive claims. I do understand you reject whatever doesn't 'sync' with 'your' 'exclusive' parameters (or nonexclusive, but this is buying 'everything' and calling it all good.
Why am I saying it? Because you eschew contrast and NEED to see it. Again, you come across as 'embracing' Christianity at times. Caino is much better at voicing his rejection and not muddying the waters or confusing people. Evil Eye thinks you are a Christian, for instance :nono:
As per my first post here, God is the Breath that inspires all other breaths.
:nono: "Sustains" Colossians 1:17 John 15:5 You've a Christless worldview.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
The Bible is the only sacred text for Christians.

Well of course. Each of the Abrahamic religions and other faith-traditions have their own sacred writings. Some happen to be think their writings are more special than others or a more complete revelation, that comes with the territory. If we take a universal eclectic approach here, and recognize God in each faith-tradition, we can relate and expand our knowledge of God within the whole, appreciating the role each particular part plays. I think it fair and responsible to recognize all schools and their place in the university of life.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Are you saying that those who have a different opinion than what you have stated are not Christian?

I think it is real clear, the Bible is the only sacred text. If you don't believe it I am asking you to name another.