IS M.A.D. DOCTRINE NECESSARY IN ORDER TO RECEIVE ETERNAL LIFE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
However, most err by considering Jesus to be the primary teacher of "Christianity", and place his teachings above what the Apostle Paul taught. They just cannot seem to be able to, in any way, diminish
what Jesus taught. Therefore, obvious conflict and confusion results when reading the New Testament. And "doctrine" becomes jumbled and contradictory.
Beameup, I enjoy reading your posts.

I get your drift.
Although I think "diminish" might not be the best word.
To me, it's not diminishing what was said in the past, but to recognize a change in what was said for a different situation.

An example of what I mean would be the "eye for eye, tooth for tooth".
There was a time when that was indeed the instruction from GOD.
We don't diminish the eyes for an eye for that time, but leave it completely intact for that time.
But another time and situation comes along and it changes.
Matthew 5:38-39

But even that saying at that time can be misconstrued.
I mean, "resist not evil" is not something you should do in every situation.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The thing I see is that teaching a particular doctrine, instead of just teaching the bible, leads to an attempt to form black & white rules.
The problem I see with trying to make everything black or white is that one can usually find an exception to most all of them.

SimpleMan77

As long as the "basics" are adhered to. That being, the idea that Paul preached the Grace Gospel to the Gentiles while Peter preached the Kingdom Gospel to the Jews. Paul had a unique Message that he was given to by Christ Himself. Also, The Mystery was revealed to Paul. Paul preached a Gospel that taught salvation through faith alone, without works. Whereas, Peter preached faith plus works to the House of Israel. Therein lies the difference. The Gentiles were never given the Law nor were ever under the Law, not so, with the House of Israel. Gentiles weren't The Chosen People of God, the House of Israel was. The Grace Gospel was made simple for the Gentiles: simple child-like faith in Christ could bring about eternal life.

Not interested in debating here, but I do have an honest question. What was Peter referencing whenever he wrote in 2 Peter 3:15, commending Paul for writing about the same issues to the same audience, and in so many words encouraging them to accept what Paul wrote?

"...just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures"

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Did Paul teach that Christ's people should be zealous for good works?

Do good works demonstrate faith?

I'll try and explain this to you. I'm not talking about the good works that are generated by the indwelling Holy Spirit. I'm talking about when we first hear the Gospel and place all our faith in Christ as our Savior. Good works/deeds don't save us, only a real/true faith in Christ is what allows us to become saved through the Spiritual process orchestrated by the Holy Spirit.

After we become a member of the Body of Christ, good works/deeds will come about and that's fine. It's just that, our good works/deeds at the time of hearing the Gospel and placing our faith, doesn't help us to become saved. See what I mean?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Not interested in debating here, but I do have an honest question. What was Peter referencing whenever he wrote in 2 Peter 3:15, commending Paul for writing about the same issues to the same audience, and in so many words encouraging them to accept what Paul wrote?

"...just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures"

Then again, Paul's message was different than Peters in that, Paul was preaching the "Grace Gospel" to the Gentiles, whereas, Peter and the others were preaching the Kingdom message (The same message as Christ in the four Gospels) to the House of Israel. Galatians 2:7 helps to explain this difference. "But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; Paul was the only Apostle to the uncircumcised (The Gentiles) and it was the message that Paul had received by The ASCENDED Lord Jesus Christ. As opposed to the message Christ preached during His earthly ministry, which was to the lost sheep of the House of Israel ONLY and NOT to the Gentiles. Understand?

SimpleMan77

Then again, Paul's message was different than Peters in that, Paul was preaching the "Grace Gospel" to the Gentiles, whereas, Peter and the others were preaching the Kingdom message (The same message as Christ in the four Gospels) to the House of Israel. Galatians 2:7 helps to explain this difference. "But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; Paul was the only Apostle to the uncircumcised (The Gentiles) and it was the message that Paul had received by The ASCENDED Lord Jesus Christ. As opposed to the message Christ preached during His earthly ministry, which was to the lost sheep of the House of Israel ONLY and NOT to the Gentiles. Understand?

I understand the premise, but am confused as to why Peter would point people in His epistle to Paul, and say that Paul was teaching the same things.

2 Peter addresses those who have obtained "like precious faith, through the righteousness of God and our savior, Jesus Christ". Seems like he's addressing the same group Paul did, with the same message. He finishes it up by saying "the things I have said to you are the same things our beloved Brother Paul wrote you about, and the same thing he puts in all his letters".

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I understand the premise, but am confused as to why Peter would point people in His epistle to Paul, and say that Paul was teaching the same things.

2 Peter addresses those who have obtained "like precious faith, through the righteousness of God and our savior, Jesus Christ". Seems like he's addressing the same group Paul did, with the same message. He finishes it up by saying "the things I have said to you are the same things our beloved Brother Paul wrote you about, and the same thing he puts in all his letters".

However, Paul wasn't preaching the SAME thing at that point in time. Peter was serving God by preaching the Kingdom message to the Jews and Paul was also serving God by preaching the Grace Gospel to the Gentiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.