Is M.A.D. a dangerous heresy? It demands much scripture to be ignored

SimpleMan77

Cornelius was saved before being water baptized.(Acts 10:44-48)

Only a believer is indwelt with the Spirit of God.

Ephesians 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

John even said it:

Matthew 3:11 "As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Which is what happened to Cornelius.

Galatians 3:27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. Not water.

If Cornelius would have heard Peter command water baptism, and refused, he would have become "unsaved" in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Question, if i walk the isle at church, and confess Christ and then i am told i will be water baptized the next week - what happens to me if i die before having water applied to wash my sin away?

SimpleMan77

Sorry, Peter didn't save Cornelius, Christ did and you didn't answer my question.

I never said anything about Peter saving Cornelius. God saved him, using Peter's preaching. If Cornelius would have decided he didn't believe and didn't need to obey God's word spoken through Peter, Cornelius would have lost his salvation.

Don't see a question, just a bunch of statements. Ask a question and I'll answer it.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Galatians 3:27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. Not water.

1 Corinthians 1:16 Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that I do not remember baptizing anyone else. 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with eloquent words of wisdom, lest the cross of the Christ be emptied of its power. 18For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.…

For something sooo important as you say, why didn't Paul need to not hinder them from being water baptized the moment they received Christ?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
If Cornelius would have heard Peter command water baptism, and refused, he would have become "unsaved" in a hurry.

Act 11:13 And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
Act 11:14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.
Act 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
Act 11:16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
Act 11:17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
Act 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

The final words which they heard whereby they were saved were these:

Act 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

SimpleMan77

Act 11:13 And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
Act 11:14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.
Act 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
Act 11:16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
Act 11:17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
Act 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

The final words which they heard whereby they were saved were these:

Act 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

I think all the words Peter spoke by revelation and commandment were words whereby Cornelius could be saved, including the command to be baptized.

Being saved isn't something where a person can relax and say "now I'm saved, I can do whatever feels good to my flesh from here out". It requires obedience, and we become unsaved if we insist on walking in disobedience.

If Cornelius was saved by receiving the Holy Ghost, he had to continue in obedience to stay saved.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
If you drink from the cup, you are embracing the New Covenant. No way around that, here.
Then prove it.

Paul repeating what Jesus said doesn't support your claim. I'm not partaking in or embracing the Old Covenant by not committing adultery.

Just like Luke 17:20-21 doesn't mean the kingdom is in man, or Matt 11:11 shows Jesus was born from above, or Galatians 4:24 makes all that secular/historical religious milk doctrine sour, Acts 17:24, Gen 32:30, 1Cor 3:16, are spirit/meat of the kingdom in man a light that you only play in its shadow.
English?

I posted this in another thread on the same subject.
And I answered in that thread.

It's far better to stick with vague generalities. That way you can just keep moving the target like the shifting sands in the desert.
No kidding.

Since you didn't follow to the link to the actual, factual explanation, I'll post it here:
They were NOT "rebaptized" in Acts 19
by Right Divider

Acts 19:4-6 (AKJV/PCE)
(19:4) Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. (19:5) When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. (19:6)
And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

What Paul told THEM is in YELLOW. The THEY in verse 5 refers to "the people" that heard John. What THEY with Paul did that day comes after the AND in verse 6.​

You simply cannot hear what scripture says; because your prefer your story.
Since the NKJV puts the quotes around only part of what is in yellow above can you provide some exegesis for me, or if they do so in the link can you send me the link? Please.

Paul said with regard to baptism there is only one baptism, if Paul was right it means there are not two baptisms, there is only the baptism the Father endorsed by sending John to baptize.

Jesus' through his disciples baptized a greater number of people than John, again endorsing the Father's baptism of water.
So the one baptism can't possibly be the baptism John the Baptist said Jesus would provide, as opposed to his baptism with water?

Being "saved" is a term that is overused. A lot!

The reason is that if we choose to quit following Jesus and walk away from Him we become unsaved. There is no such thing as "once saved, always saved".

If we decide we don't want Him or His ways, even after we've previously believed, He will try to win us back, but if we insist He will allow us to walk away. He will not abduct us against our will and take us to heaven.

So the question isn't "were the Gentiles saved after receiving the Holy Ghost, and before being baptized"...

...the question should be "could they have continued to be saved if they would have decided to not obey Peter when he commanded them to get baptized".

1. Can you provide any support for your argument that eternal security doesn't exist?
  2. If you walk away then you never knew Him and He never knew you.
  3. Of course that's not the question, as they clearly were since they received the Holy Spirit.
  4. Do you have an answer to your own question?
  5. Since when is Peter commanding anyone to do anything? Is he God?

Sorry, but that's just not Bible. If you read 1 Cor 5, you'll find that a member of the church who was saved had started fornicating with his father's wife. Paul said to break off fellowship with him and turn him over to Satan for the destruction of his body so that his spirit could BE SAVED.
Where is your evidence this man was saved prior to fornicating?

He started out saved, became unsaved because he chose to live sin more than God, and through his actions forsook God. Thankfully he repented, and Paul instructed the church in 2 Corinthians to forgive him, and said that he himself forgave the man "in the person of Christ".
Where is your evidence that he started out saved?

In the middle of that situation, a few verses later, was where Paul made the statement that fornicators shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
And what did Paul say about those in Christ in 1 Corinthians 6:11? Are they fornicators?

Right Divider

Body part
MOST of them (according to you) were from afar, but NOT ALL were. Peter said they ALL (locals and pilgrims) needed to be baptized, which means at least a portion of them were instructed to be re-baptized.
That is a REALLY far stretch without support. Peter did NOT say that they needed to all be baptized THERE AND NOW. Simply that they needed to be baptized for the remission of sins.

Anyone that was ALREADY baptized would ALREADY fit that model.

You said, and I quote, "re-baptism is a silly idea".

It obviously wasn't silly in Acts 2:38. Peter made sure he followed up his command for baptism with the words "every one of you", which alludes to the fact there may have been questions among them whether or not it was a commandment for all of them. That question makes sense if some of them had already been baptized by John.
Your "interpretation" has lots of silliness including the idea that those already baptized needed to get we again.

The YOU in Acts 2 is "men of Israel". They had a priesthood given by God.

Water baptism was associated with Jesus' earthly ministry and Israel's priesthood. It's not rocket surgery.

Why did Christ's public ministry start when He was thirty years old?

Right Divider

Body part
Btw it plainly states that there were Judeans there, who according to Matthew 3:5 definitely had already been baptized.

And he said specifically and deliberately for "every one of you" to get baptized in Jesus' name. This let's me know 2 things:

1) those who were baptized by John had not been baptized in Jesus' name. Otherwise, there would be no reason to baptize them again in the same name.

2) your blanket statement that "re-baptism is a silly idea" is totally wrong, and not even close to rightly dividing the word of truth.
Water baptism is per the priesthood of Israel. You're distracted from that point.

The body of Christ has one baptism and there is NO water involved.

Eph 4:3-6 (AKJV/PCE)
(4:3) Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (4:4) [There is] one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; (4:5) One Lord, one faith, one baptism, (4:6) One God and Father of all, who [is] above all, and through all, and in you all.

1Cor 12:12-13 (AKJV/PCE)
(12:12) For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also [is] Christ. (12:13) For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether [we be] Jews or Gentiles, whether [we be] bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

We are not a priesthood, not matter how badly you want into it.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Water baptism is per the priesthood of Israel.

In Mark 1:8 John said, "I indeed baptized you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

Why couldn't John baptize with the Holy Spirit? Why was he not able to do so?

Right Divider

Body part
In Mark 1:8 John said, "I indeed baptized you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

Why couldn't John baptize with the Holy Spirit? Why was he not able to do so?
That is COMPLETELY irrelevant. WATER baptism is per the priesthood of Israel.

P.S. Just another attempted distraction/diversion... I'm not going to chase your misdirection's.

AgainstAll

"Every one that hears these sayings of mine ( Luke 6:27-48 Matthew 5 through 7 )
and does not put them into practice is like a fool that built his house upon the sand..."
Matthew 7:26-28

"The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us" John 1:14

"whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16 ( John 3:5 )

Context is extremely important, what He wants us to believe, is... what He Said! For He is, the Word!

Therefore if you believe Matthew 7:24-28 and 2 John 1:9
you would therefore put the teachings of the Messiah into practice.

We must be under the renewed covenant; Jeremiah 31:33 and therefore keep Matthew 7:12 and John 15:12
(the summary of the whole Torah) in our minds.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
That is COMPLETELY irrelevant. WATER baptism is per the priesthood of Israel.

P.S. Just another attempted distraction/diversion... I'm not going to chase your misdirection's.
Actually, it's just another question you can't answer.

John was a Levite and the NT was not yet available.

John did what he was sent to do.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Paul says that in the BODY, there is ONE baptism.... it's not water.

Paul taught salvation from the Hebrew scriptures.

Your made-up fantasy baptism is not supported by the Hebrew Bible.

Baptism pictures death in a watery grave by immersion, your baptism pictures nothing.