Is Enyart worshipped like Jesus

Zakath

Resident Atheist
erinmarie said:
I personally do not know what constitutes church membership, but I know of several people on this site stating that they consider themselves "members" of The Denver Bible Church...
For those that live, or have lived, in or around Denver, that makes sense. But for those who do not or have not, it make "membership" little more than an affiliation of the like-minded without much in the way of commitment...

Of course, there are a number of people here who act that way about their religious beliefs too... :think:

erinmarie

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=758487&postcount=19

Ok so I could only find two direct quotes supporting my claim...One was Shadowmaid's post, the link above, and the other was Turbo's reply to that post in the same thread, on the same page...

But I think it would go towards vouching for Mr. Enyart's popularity that a teenage girl in Michigan and a young man from PA would feel the same way about "membership" to the DBC...

I don't know about Shadowmaid, but I know that Turbo was raised "sort of" Lutheran..."sort of" meaning not a practicing household. And he found Mr. Enyart and the DBC on his own.

Last edited:

docrob57

Zakath said:
Assuming you meant "popular" instead of "poular", with what empirical data can you back up the "most popular" claim?
:think:

Hey, taking cheap shots at others typos is my schtick. I may have to sue! :readthis:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
erinmarie said:
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=758487&postcount=19

Ok so I could only find two direct quotes supporting my claim...One was Shadowmaid's post, the link above, and the other was Turbo's reply to that post in the same thread, on the same page...
Oh, I'm not arguing that people consider themselves members of something or other without any actual affiliation. Heaven knows my wife considered herself a member of the Roman Catholic Church for years after stopped attending services or receiving the sacraments.

I think such "membership" is mostly rhetorical, not actual.

erinmarie

Zakath said:
Oh, I'm not arguing that people consider themselves members of something or other without any actual affiliation. Heaven knows my wife considered herself a member of the Roman Catholic Church for years after stopped attending services or receiving the sacraments.

I think such "membership" is mostly rhetorical, not actual.

OK.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Zakath said:
So you can count to eight.
I tried for ten but after repeating myself one too many times I just lost it and quit at eight.

Zakath said:
Very good, would you like a cookie? :chew:

No thanks, I have to go and TRY to make digs at a talk show host who pastors a small church in Denver. That is how I usually spend my day.

Zakath said:
From my POV, every post here boosts my post count. That, and 60 cents, will get me a cuppa at Mickey D's. :MrCoffee:

$19.95 will get you this

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
I'm not asking whether or not you feel it's appropriate to judge. Simple observation will reveal that you and others feel that it's completely appropriate. However, I would caution that you are not excercising spiritual discernment, forming a moral opinion, or confronting someone when you mock, ridicule, or curse someone. You can judge someone's actions without mocking them.
Okay. Great. So we have established that JUDGING IS A GOOD THING. So now let's discuss what judging will result in.

Further, I would add that the examples of Jesus calling others hypocrites, vipers, etc. are clearly differentiated from calling someone a moron because their ideas conflict with your own.
Let's take a step back here. Are you saying that we can only use the pejorative terms that Jesus used? Or that we are not using "moron" correctly? It does appear to be the latter. If that is true, then would you say that "moron" cannot be used appropriately? Or that "moron" hasn't been used appropriately by those you might call Enyartians? If the latter, what is your criteria for the proper use of "moron"?

The First Law of Internet Forums states, "In any given argument, the first to call names is usually the party who is demonstrably losing the argument." In this situation, as is often the case here, name calling is an attempt to regain lost ego through insulting the other parties intelligence, ego, or personhood.
This tends to be true. But you say that name-calling, (that would include deriding someone without calling them names, too) is appropriate sometimes. So it isn't always to regain lost ego through insulting the other parties intelligence, ego, or personhood. So the question would be, how do you know when it is appropriate or not?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Shimei said:
I tried for ten but after repeating myself one too many times I just lost it and quit at eight.
As Harry Callahan once said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

No thanks, I have to go and TRY to make digs at a talk show host who pastors a small church in Denver. That is how I usually spend my day.
No actually you spend your days trying to defend a small talk show host who pastors a small church near Denver...

:darwinsm:

(snipped apparently obligatory sales pitch for Enyart merchandise)

docrob57

Zakath said:

Good thing he didn't mention the new Terri Schiavo debrief CD. For the low low price of only $19.95 this MUST HAVE item takes the listener through the entire Terri Schiavo episode. Content includes:

Nurse Tells Terri's Story
Two Sermons in the News
5th Year in Office vs. 5th Year
CNN's Catherine Crier: Save Peterson, Kill Terri
Pro-Life now Pro-Suicide
National Pro-Life Strategy
Extraordinary Measures with Columbine Dad Brian Rohrbough
The Guy Who Tried... with Doug McBurney
Rocky Mtn News: As pastor, do you approve...
Hern, Prager, Medved, Hewitt
Terri 1963 - 2005
Debriefing Karl Henderson
A Key Death in Our Time

I would hate to think anyone on here would shamelessly promote items available WHILE SUPPLES LAST only at www.kgov.com.

docrob57

beanieboy said:
I meditatied on this, and kept returning to one huge example.

Here is Romans 12:

1Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
2And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
3For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to reach a measure of faith.
4For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function,
5so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.
6Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith;
7if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching;
8or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.
9Let love be without hypocrisy Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good.
10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor;
11not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
12rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer,
13contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.
14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
15Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
16Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly Do not be wise in your own estimation.
17Never pay back evil for evil to anyone Respect what is right in the sight of all men.
18If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
19Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord.
20"BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD."
21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Now, this verse talks about return curse with blessing, overcoming evil with good, of feeding your enemy.

And the Enyartite take on this?
12:9 9Let love be without hypocrisy Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good.
Therefore, hate evil people.

Of the entire passage, this is isolated, then taken out of context. One should abhor what is evil - namely - cursing people, harming people, and that is why the passage goes on and on about loving your enemy not by cursing them, but by returning their foul language with blessing and kindness, of feeding your enemy, of not repaying evil with evil. That is the "evil" that Paul is speaking of.

And the Enyartite response? Hate people.

That is simply false teaching.

Actually, it is faulty logic on your part

beanieboy

docrob57 said:
Actually, it is faulty logic on your part

Please back up that statement.

Explain to me how, in the midst of all of the calls to give thirst to your enemy, to live in harmony, to act in a way that all approve of, to bless those who curse you, is a small phrase that means "hate evil people." and gives license to mock, tell people you hate them, curse them, etc.

docrob57

beanieboy said:
Please back up that statement.

Explain to me how, in the midst of all of the calls to give thirst to your enemy, to live in harmony, to act in a way that all approve of, to bless those who curse you, is a small phrase that means "hate evil people." and gives license to mock, tell people you hate them, curse them, etc.

It is "tough love" not really hate. It is not my style, but I have seen his style produce positive benefits.

ShadowMaid

erinmarie said:
I don't know about Shadowmaid, but I know that Turbo was raised "sort of" Lutheran..."sort of" meaning not a practicing household. And he found Mr. Enyart and the DBC on his own.

I've been an Acts 9 dispensationalist all my life. :) (Close enough to count at least.)

docrob57

Zakath said:

He also said that the .44 magnum is the world's most powerful handgun, capable of blowing your head clean off. :patrol:

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Zakath said:
Then it was good you quit the debate.

Zakath said:
No actually you spend your days trying to defend a small talk show host who pastors a small church near Denver...

Yeah, a quick post search would reveal that I am the one who spends his days talking about Enyart. I can understand you’re wanting to get back at him. It wouldn't be easy to be proven wrong over and over again. And then the whole "didn't get my permission" thing.

Zakath said:

Hey, you could sell that debate as well! Maybe mark it down to $18.95?