Is constant confession needed for forgiveness?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, No and Yes.

Did you ever notice how many Christians want to practice and preach the book of Hebrews, yet ignore this part?

Hebrews 6

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

brewmama

Did you ever notice how many Christians want to practice and preach the book of Hebrews, yet ignore this part?

Hebrews 6

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

So you think that once you're saved, you're always saved, unless you fall away, then you're always damned?

jzeidler

Your relationships must be a mess then, especially the one with the Lord.

So, let's see, you, jzeidler, offend your wife, you know you did, because you have felt the convicting power of the Holy Spirit, your wife comes back with, 'hey, jzeidler, don't sweat, hon, cause, you're a Christian and you can offend me any time you want.' Is that about right, jzeidler?

How about if it is the other way around? Do you say the same to her?

What makes you believe that when you feel the convicting power of the Holy Spirit when offending God, it is Him telling you 'hurray, jzeidler, way to go. Don't worry about the convicting power of My Holy Spirit.'

Is this how you understand the convicting power of the Holy Spirit, it is OK with Him and you don't need to do anything about it?

Besides, I believe the verse that came to your mind has to do with sins that have already been confessed and forgiven, that being the case, the Lord chooses to forget them.

Could you provide the verse in the Bible that says, 'when you feel the convicting power of My Holy Spirit, don't sweat about it, it's nothing to worry about in the least, I, God, just didn't have anything else better to do'?

Give me five verses after the crucifixion that says that Christians must confess sin in order to gain forgiveness and then I'll have a conversation with you. Analogies are not the word of God.

lifeisgood

Hebrews 6

Perfect example of when the convicting power of the Holy Spirit falls upon a Christian and the Christian rejects it.

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened [Christians], and have tasted of the Heavenly Gift [Jesus Christ and what He did at the Cross of Calvary], and were made partakers of the Holy Spirit [when they were saved],

5 And have tasted the good Word of God [not talking about a sinner, but a Christian, for the unsaved has no regard for the truth of God and see no beauty in it], and the powers of the world to come [the unsaved cannot have or know the work of the Holy Spirit],

6 If they shall fall away [Should have been translated 'And the Christian having fallen away', for 'if' is not in the original], to renew them again unto Repentance [it means at one time they were renewed; but now have turned their backs on Christ and what He did at the Cross of Calvary]; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh [the Christian no longer believes Jesus Christ and what He did at the Cross of Calvary], and put Him to an open shame [they hold Christ up to public ridicule; Paul wrote this Epistle because some Christian Jews were going back into Judaism, or seriously contemplating doing so].

And, yes, before someone asks me, I do believe Hebrews was written for Christians for only Christians can have tasted the good Word of God, who is Jesus Christ.

lifeisgood

Give me five verses after the crucifixion that says that Christians must confess sin in order to gain forgiveness and then I'll have a conversation with you. Analogies are not the word of God.

The convicting power of the Holy Spirit is all over you.

john w

Hall of Fame
]For any sin committed after justification (Acts 13:38, 39).

I asked:

"What sin/sins?

Lay out the sins, for which your probation officer, fake saviour, did not die.

Tell us he did not condemn sin in the flesh.

Go ahead."

Our hero's response:

An irrelevant passage, citing Acts 13:38-39 KJV, as another wolf is "outed," as he rejects 1 Cor. 15:1-4 KJV, flips the bird at the LORD God, asserting that He did not forgive us of "all trespasses," Colossians 2:13 KJV,and that the Lord Jesus Christ did not die for our sins, per 1 Cor. 15:1-4 KJV.

Let me guess his "response: Yes, He died for my sins, those "little ones," that I commit, not the "whoppers" that others commit, as I'm a rat, but I'm a "cleaner" rat than my fellow rats, who commit those "worse" sins that I do not commit, so I must be saved.

Wolfie. Rat.

lifeisgood

I read this somewhere, but can't remember where:

Failure to confess our sins does not alter our eternal security, but it interferes with, and greatly hinders, our fellowship with the Father. That is indeed a costly mistake.

brewmama

Failure to confess our sins does not alter our eternal security, but it interferes with, and greatly hinders, our fellowship with the Father. That is indeed a costly mistake.

True. And amazing how so many are not interested in that.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

while i don't disagree with this, i would rather sing His praises than remind Him constantly how i'm not worthy

lifeisgood

Yep, he is convicting me of my righteousness in Christ.

oh, yep, oh, holy one.

lifeisgood

while i don't disagree with this, i would rather sing His praises than remind Him constantly how i'm not worthy

And where in the comment does it say that you are to constantly remind Him of how unworthy you are? He already knew that before the foundation of the world --- how unworthy we are, I mean.

And how are you to sing His praises when the convicting power of His Holy Spirit is all over you convicting you that what you did is definitely displeasing to Him.

When we understand our true position in Christ, we will be able to confess our sins, because of Jesus Christ's shed blood on the Cross of Calvary, accept our forgiveness, and thank God for His grace and mercy toward us. And if some form of restitution needs to be made toward an offended party, we will do so.

It has absolutely nothing to do with us but all to do with His mercy and His grace.

lifeisgood

Do you not accept the righteousness that God gives us in Christ?

Because He has imputed Christ's righteousness to my account is that I can come boldly to Him and talk to Him about anything that the convicting power of His Holy Spirit is telling me that is displeasing to Him.

Don't you have that confidence?

Right Divider

Body part
Because He has imputed Christ's righteousness to my account is that I can come boldly to Him and talk to Him about anything that the convicting power of His Holy Spirit is telling me that is displeasing to Him.

Don't you have that confidence?
I have the confidence that Christ has taken care of the sin problem once and for all.

The Holy Spirit convicts me to believe that.
Col 2:13 KJV And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Once again I say that it is unbelief to ask for forgiveness for something that God has already forgiven.

lifeisgood

I have the confidence that Christ has taken care of the sin problem once and for all.

The Holy Spirit convicts me to believe that.
Col 2:13 KJV And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Once again I say that it is unbelief to ask for forgiveness for something that God has already forgiven.

No, you do not have to ask Him to save you again.

lifeisgood

So if ALL of your transgressions have BEEN forgiven, why would you ASK for FORGIVENESS?

I don't think that you understand the gospel of the grace of God.

What part of this statement do you not understand?

We are eternally secure in Christ. Failure to confess our sins does not alter our eternal security, but it interferes with, and greatly hinders, our fellowship with the Father. That is indeed a costly mistake.

BECAUSE of the convicting power of the Holy Spirit.

Right Divider

Body part
What part of this statement do you not understand?

We are eternally secure in Christ. Failure to confess our sins does not alter our eternal security, but it interferes with, and greatly hinders, our fellowship with the Father. That is indeed a costly mistake.

BECAUSE of the convicting power of the Holy Spirit.
I'd like you to demonstrate this from the writings of our apostle Paul and NOT from the Hebrew scriptures. John, Peter, James ... were all apostles of the 12 tribes of Israel and the doctrine is NOT the same. Same Christ; different dispensation.