Is constant confession needed for forgiveness?

glassjester

I think that he should do right from the start.

And what does this have to do with the original topic of this thread?

I completely agree - it's better never to have done wrong at all.

The thread is about what we should do when we have done wrong.

What does it mean for someone to confess his sins?

elohiym

Not continually. But at all? Ever?

Once ever? Twice?

What would have happened to David if he committed adultery again, and then again, and then again? Other adulterers were being executed under the law.

Should a member of the BOC ever do this? When?

I would have told David to repent even though he was God's anointed, and I would tell him to choose today. After being shown such mercy, I would expect he'd have the heart to never willfully sin again (from God's perspective, not necessarily according to law). Hebrews 10:26-29.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Elohiym polygamist] Flesh means kin...
This thread is not about your perversion (1 Co 6:9-10). :vomit: Take it up with Almighty God at the Great White Throne (Re 20:11). :burnlib:

You've defiled yourself (Ro 8:13, Re 14:4).

Jesus loves you (Jn 3:16). Jesus is willing to save you (2 Pe 3:9). Repent (Eze 18:30-32; Ac 17:30). Believe (Mk 9:23).

Last edited:

lifeisgood

Hey everyone. I have a challenge for you. Everyone has been taught that in order to be forgiven after you're a Christian you have to confess your sins constantly and repent of them. Can anyone find me 5 bible verses, in the New Testament, after Jesus was crucified to support constant confession in order to gain forgiveness?

Hey, jzeidler, I have a challenge for you, do something wrong to your wife (if you are married), or to your best friend (if you have one), or to a coworker (if you work), etc., and never apologize to them and come and tell us how it goes with those relationships.

jzeidler

Is constant confession needed for forgiveness?

Hey, jzeidler, I have a challenge for you, do something wrong to your wife (if you are married), or to your best friend (if you have one), or to a coworker (if you work), etc., and never apologize to them and come and tell us how it goes with those relationships.

Your challenge is flawed. Does your wife see you as the righteousness of Christ? Does she see you as perfect and never remember your sins? When your wife looks at your does she see Jesus or you and all your faults?

jzeidler

That's a good point.

Can this be reconciled with the verse quoted by Nick M?

Namely, that a member of the BOC is free of sin.

Do you agree that the hypothetical man is a sinner?

Alright bud just got done with work.

I am going to say that this hypothetical man is free from SIN but not SINS. Let me explain. Jesus didn't die so we would stop sinning. If he did he is a complete failure. Jesus died for our sin, that is, our wrong standing/guilt before God. Jesus took on our guilt, condemnation, and paid the penalty for our sins at the cross. But he also gave us his righteousness, his right standing before God. Look up the Greek word for righteousness, you'll see that it means "right standing". So, this man does not hold the position of sinner because Christ has taken the position of sinner away from him and replaced it with the position of Saint and son. Jesus took the mans wrong standing and gave him His right standing. However, the man can still sin, we all have a choice to obey or disobey our Dad. Therefore, this man is a saint that sins.

I hope that makes sense. If not let me know and I'll try to reword some stuff.

glassjester

I am going to say that this hypothetical man is free from SIN but not SINS. Let me explain. Jesus didn't die so we would stop sinning. If he did he is a complete failure. Jesus died for our sin, that is, our wrong standing/guilt before God. Jesus took on our guilt, condemnation, and paid the penalty for our sins at the cross. But he also gave us his righteousness, his right standing before God. Look up the Greek word for righteousness, you'll see that it means "right standing". So, this man does not hold the position of sinner because Christ has taken the position of sinner away from him and replaced it with the position of Saint and son. Jesus took the mans wrong standing and gave him His right standing. However, the man can still sin, we all have a choice to obey or disobey our Dad. Therefore, this man is a saint that sins.

Alright - I see your point.
I'd wager that a sinner is (by its very definition) simply someone who sins - so I don't fully agree with your distinction. A saint that sins is like a square with 3 sides - sorry, that ain't no square!

But I understand what you mean. Maybe that's a topic for a different thread.

The questions, more relevant to this thread, would be...

1. Should the man acknowledge that what he's done was sinful?
2. Should he repent?
3. Should he earnestly resolve to sin no more?

glassjester

And thanks, by the way, for taking the time to really discuss this. I think it's important.

I usually have to wade through a few pages of people calling me an idolater, or Mary-worshiper, or apostate before anyone's willing to explain their own beliefs, rather than just attacking what they think I believe.

glassjester

Your challenge is flawed. Does your wife see you as the righteousness of Christ? Does she see you as perfect and never remember your sins? When your wife looks at your does she see Jesus or you and all your faults?

Your objection is flawed, too.

Repentance is not for the benefit of God, but for the benefit of man.

Jamie Gigliotti

"Jesus didn't die so that we would stop sinning."
That is completely opposed to the truth.

"...as the truth is in Jesus, to put off the old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires..." Ephesians 4:21-22

"And He died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who for their sake died and was raised." 2 Corinthians 5:15

"I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification....But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and it's end eternal life." Romans 6:19, 22

He gives us himself to do what He wants us to do.

lifeisgood

Your relationships must be a mess then, especially the one with the Lord.

So, let's see, you, jzeidler, offend your wife, you know you did, because you have felt the convicting power of the Holy Spirit, your wife comes back with, 'hey, jzeidler, don't sweat, hon, cause, you're a Christian and you can offend me any time you want.' Is that about right, jzeidler?

How about if it is the other way around? Do you say the same to her?

What makes you believe that when you feel the convicting power of the Holy Spirit when offending God, it is Him telling you 'hurray, jzeidler, way to go. Don't worry about the convicting power of My Holy Spirit.'

Is this how you understand the convicting power of the Holy Spirit, it is OK with Him and you don't need to do anything about it?

Besides, I believe the verse that came to your mind has to do with sins that have already been confessed and forgiven, that being the case, the Lord chooses to forget them.

Could you provide the verse in the Bible that says, 'when you feel the convicting power of My Holy Spirit, don't sweat about it, it's nothing to worry about in the least, I, God, just didn't have anything else better to do'?