I Support Capital Punishment

Zakath

Resident Atheist
drbrumley said:
Yes, I have an answer. Too bad folks like you don't care for it. Suit yourself I suppose.

Now where's your followup question.?
Where's your answer to the initial question? Perhaps I missed it somewhere in your eloquent riposte?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
drbrumley said:
I would only say WHY should God stop crime when he has delegated that authority to us?

It is Freak's position that God is already punishing criminals, therefor we don't need to. :kookoo:

Caille

BillyBob said:
I never said that we shouldn't question the government. I said that I support Capital punishment and I said that God isn't doing anything to stop crime so it is up to us as humans to do so.

Try reading my comments again and stop trying to change the subject.

I never said that you said that we shouldn't question the government. I understand your point and agree with it. But, to those who depend on a literal interpretation of scripture (not you BillyBob), I want to know how they square Romans13 with the reality of the current capital punishment laws (or abortion laws).

As far as I can tell, the subject as started by Freak is whether capital punishment as sanctioned by the government is biblically defensible. If you read Romans13 literally, there doesn't seem to be any wiggle room. Whatever the government decides to do is OK with God.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Caille said:
I never said that you said that we shouldn't question the government. I understand your point and agree with it. But, to those who depend on a literal interpretation of scripture (not you BillyBob), I want to know how they square Romans13 with the reality of the current capital punishment laws (or abortion laws).

As far as I can tell, the subject as started by Freak is whether capital punishment as sanctioned by the government is biblically defensible. If you read Romans13 literally, there doesn't seem to be any wiggle room. Whatever the government decides to do is OK with God.

I don't rely on scripture to defend the obvious, but I appreciate you guys stepping in if it will help Freak see things the right way.

To me, Capital Punishment and punishment of criminals in general has nothing to do with the Bible, it has to do with maintaining a safe, orderly society.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
drbrumley said:
It costs approximately $72.39 per day to incarcerate a Death Row inmate in Florida.
I'm sort of surprised it's that low

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
I'd like to see what a hollow point will do to a head at close range.

[I'm guessing there won't be much head left....]

Besides, 50 cents is a lot cheaper than keeping him alive for 20 years at $80 a day, why not spring for the best. Tell you what, I'll buy the ammo!!! :banana:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
BillyBob said:
I'd like to see what a hollow point will do to a head at close range.

[I'm guessing there won't be much head left....]
Probably not. Just do the executions outside next to the compost heap and it reduces clean up time considerably.

Besides, 50 cents is a lot cheaper than keeping him alive for 20 years at $80 a day, why not spring for the best.
Because I'm a cheap Celt... a good axe would be even cheaper... :D

Tell you what, I'll buy the ammo!!! :banana:
Whatever floats yer boat. :thumb:

one4christ

Per my earlier post:
one4christ said:
So far in this thread, I haven't seen one reference to scripture in regard to the justification of taking the life of a rapist...I'll bet I could find some of your posts elsewhere in TOL that back up your views using reasoned arguments from scripture -- and so I will look for those after my post.
So, I looked here...
I Support Capital Punishment

here...
Bible Concerning: Witchcraft & Death

and here...
Christians discussing criminal justice

To see if I could get an idea of what some positions held by others who have posted on Capital Punishment. After many hours of searching and reading through the posts, I discovered that there wasn't really a clearly defined reasoning from the scriptures (from point A to Z) for the various postions held (unless I completely missed it). So here are the 4 different possiblities that I deduced based upon what I read in the posts.

1. The death penalty for ALL OT crimes that were punishable by death should still be enforced, and the NT covenant did not abolish the OT Mosaic law in regard to these.
2. The specific OT Mosaic laws in regard to the death penalty were no longer applicable WHERE they applied specifically to the levitical (priesthood) laws. Other OT laws requiring the death penalty should still in effect.
3. The NT did away with all OT laws and requirements, but we are still under the civil and governing authorities, including the death penalty as defined in the OT if it is in effect.
4. The NT did away with the death penalty altogether, and some form other form of punishment could be applied, but not death. This would mean that governing authorities that institute the death penalty are in conflict with the bible.

So, I am leaning toword #3 from what scriptures I have read, and fleshing it out a bit more -

Any law that is instituted by the governing authorities, where that law does not directly violate the standards of God's word, should be followed as an adherence to God's word.

If this is true, then the following could all be true if our government instituted these as laws:

drbrumley said:
"He who strikes a man so that he dies shall surely be put to death." Ex. 21:12
"He who strikes his father or his mother shall surely be put to death." Ex. 21:15
"He who kidnaps a man... shall surely be put to death." Ex. 21:16
"He who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death." Ex. 21:17
"[If an unborn baby is killed] you shall give life for life." Ex. 21:23

Murderers could be put to death, Teenagers who hit their parents, Child abductors (even the astranged parent), a child who curses their parent (curses as in condemns, as in damnation I believe), a woman who gets an abortion could all be put to death The operative word here is COULD be, doesn't 'have' to be. I would assume that rape would be included in the list but I haven't found any scriptural reference to that yet.

By what some would call 'modern sensibilities', this all seems extreme. I haven't developed a complete position on this based on the scriptures yet. Since I am not that familiar with old testament laws and requirements, I will have to continue to look into this further.

If anyone has any other thoughts on 1) other possible alternate positions than those listed above, 2) why they hold a certain postion, or 3) where I can find further info on this topic either on the web or elsewhere.

... or, perhaps if someone holds one of the above views, they could post their (complete) reasoning from the scripture here, since it seemed that previous posts were a smattering of bits and pieces of these different perspectives.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
one4christ said:
1. The death penalty for ALL OT crimes that were punishable by death should still be enforced, and the NT covenant did not abolish the OT Mosaic law in regard to these.
Nope. Not all of them.
2. The specific OT Mosaic laws in regard to the death penalty were no longer applicable WHERE they applied specifically to the levitical (priesthood) laws. Other OT laws requiring the death penalty should still in effect.
Nope. I can think of one off the top of my head. Observance of the Sabbath.

3. The NT did away with all OT laws and requirements, but we are still under the civil and governing authorities, including the death penalty as defined in the OT if it is in effect.
That one is most definitely false. We are under the legal authorities, but should advocate the laws that would make this a better place. Including the death penalty for murderers, rapists, child molesters and homosexuals.

The NT, actually it was the death of Christ, only did away with the law for purposes of righteousness. So it no longer applies to Christians, in that regard. But the criminal code should. And if the government is enforcing it, then a Christian should submit if they have broken it.
4. The NT did away with the death penalty altogether, and some form other form of punishment could be applied, but not death. This would mean that governing authorities that institute the death penalty are in conflict with the bible.
This is untrue as well.
So, I am leaning toword #3 from what scriptures I have read, and fleshing it out a bit more -

Any law that is instituted by the governing authorities, where that law does not directly violate the standards of God's word, should be followed as an adherence to God's word.
I've already explained this is untrue.

If this is true, then the following could all be true if our government instituted these as laws:

Murderers could be put to death, Teenagers who hit their parents, Child abductors (even the astranged parent), a child who curses their parent (curses as in condemns, as in damnation I believe), a woman who gets an abortion could all be put to death The operative word here is COULD be, doesn't 'have' to be. I would assume that rape would be included in the list but I haven't found any scriptural reference to that yet.
Where does it say anything about teenagers, or hitting parents? And murderers should be put to death. And women who get abortions should be put to death.

By what some would call 'modern sensibilities', this all seems extreme. I haven't developed a complete position on this based on the scriptures yet. Since I am not that familiar with old testament laws and requirements, I will have to continue to look into this further.
No doubt.

If anyone has any other thoughts on 1) other possible alternate positions than those listed above, 2) why they hold a certain postion, or 3) where I can find further info on this topic either on the web or elsewhere.
There are plenty of explanations. Just look for threads on theonomy, and see what its supporters have to say.

... or, perhaps if someone holds one of the above views, they could post their (complete) reasoning from the scripture here, since it seemed that previous posts were a smattering of bits and pieces of these different perspectives.
The laws that called for the death penalty that no longer apply are the ones that related to the laws that were only for Israel. No laws concerning the Sabbath are applicable. No laws concerning the priesthood are applicable. No laws that concern lineage are applicable.

Talk to Jefferson, Bob Enyart, and Clete. They support theonomy, and can show you why, from Scripture, and logic.

one4christ

Lighthouse said:
Talk to Jefferson, Bob Enyart, and Clete. They support theonomy, and can show you why, from Scripture, and logic.
Thanks Lighthouse! They can post here if they like also. In the meantime I am exploring other perspecitves on this topic and would like to hear from others too.

Until next time - may we all bring glory and honor to our Lord and Master Jesus Christ in all that we do...

Caille

Lighthouse said:
women who get abortions should be put to death.

:nono:

Couldn't be more wrong Brandon. Here's a quarter, go buy a clue.

The laws that called for the death penalty that no longer apply are the ones that related to the laws that were only for Israel.

wrong

No laws concerning the Sabbath are applicable.

nope

No laws concerning the priesthood are applicable.

wrong again

No laws that concern lineage are applicable.

0 for 5, :loser:

They can pick and choose verses to support their bizarre beliefs, but you'd have to be on weed to call their wibblings logic.

fool

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse: are you over here killing women who had abortions?
Didn't we cover this?
I think you might want to put some conditions on that.
Like "women who had unnesasary abortions should be put to death"
Lest you confuse any rational people who wandered in here.

Caille

fool said:
Lighthouse: are you over here killing women who had abortions?
Didn't we cover this?
I think you might want to put some conditions on that.
Like "women who had unnesasary abortions should be put to death"
Lest you confuse any rational people who wandered in here.

:darwinsm: :darwinsm:

Like that will ever happen !