I Support Capital Punishment

Freak

Yes, you read that title correctly: I support captial punishment.

I firmly believe God directly executes judgment, according to His will and discretion, and death upon men and nations for certain offences. But this is God's prerogative not man's (nor a governments).

"We should not commit sexual immorality, as some of them did–and in one day twentythree thousand of them died. We should not test the Lord, as some of them did–and were killed by snakes. And do not grumble, as some of them did–and were killed by the destroying angel."

As you can see I'm just about to tip toe in some dangerous territory...

I recognize a number of believers on TOL are absolutely for the death penalty in our present dispensation. I also recognize that this topic is a hot one and I need to be careful how I address it lest I get myself in trouble. So, with that in mind, let's investigate the biblical view of the death penalty.

First, it was clear God ordained the death penalty to deal with certain crimes and sins in the Old Covenant. Sins like blasphemy and crimes like murder required the death of the guilty. I recognize this.

Secondly, it is clear God allowed the theocratic nation to punish certain criminals with death. The Law mandated it. The nation of Israel was called upon, Holy God, to carry this out.

However,

The Old Covenant which called for the governing authorities to utilize the death penalty was temporary. A greater covenant was spoken of that would illuminate us (see Hebrews 7:22) to a better means in dealing with crimes and sins—on a personal & governmental level. The Old Law which called for the death penalty has been annulled “because of its weakness and unprofitableness” (see Hebrews 7:18).

Under the superior New Covenant, God began to enlighten His people of a better means in dealing with sin/crime-the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ which reconciles, restores, redeems, and forgives. The Gospel is more powerful then the Law (see Romans 1:16), for the Law is bondage (see Galatians 4). Governments which consist of individuals should be directed to live (and in providing societal order) according to precepts found in the better covenant which has a better way of dealing with criminals.

Let’s look at how Jesus and New Covenant believers dealt with those guilty of capital crimes:

•The Samaritan Woman in John 4 was guilty of adultery and yet Jesus restored her and did not call for her to report to the governing authorities to be put to death.
•The Apostle Paul was a murderer and yet when Jesus encountered him He did not command Paul to report to the governing authorities to be put to death.
•The Christians in Corinth (see 1 Corinthians 6:9-11) who were formerly "sexually immoral," "idolaters," "adulterers," "male prostitutes," and "homosexual offenders"--all of which were capital offences in the Old Testament, were not called upon the apostle Paul to report to the governing authorities to be put to death.

The New Covenant calls for redemptive justice—what we see Jesus did for the Samaritan woman, the apostle Paul, and others. You restore when there is repentance. When there in no repentance, call for punishment (see Romans 13). In this, the New Covenant gives liberty in the area of punishment. The death penalty however is not an option, as the New Covenant does not give the governments of the world an allowance to put to death criminals. The “sword” mentioned in Romans 13 is referring, symbolically, to the “authority” the government has to punish evil doers not to put them to death.

Governments should be required to follow the example, of Jesus and how he dealt with those guilty of capital offenses. It works much better then requiring them to follow the Law’s handling of capital crimes—for the Law is incapable of doing what Jesus can accomplish. Jesus is much better then the Law.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
You're about as ignorant as a sandbag. The New Covenant apllies to those in Christ. And it it does not annull the civil punishment for capitol crimes. Jesus Himself said that whoever lives by the sword shall die by the sword.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Brandon, what you don't know about Freak is a lot. I disagree with the guy on several issues but he has a clue. Some respect, please.

[sits back, awaits Freak's return to rip clueless TOLer to shreds]

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
I'm not as interested in what your interpretation of the Bible is as I am in US and State Law.

Capital Punishment is currently the law of the land whether you like it or not. If you think it is wrong, consult your local Congressman.

Personally, I think Capital Punishment should be used more frequently and with little delay between sentencing and execution.

Last edited:

allsmiles

I believe in capital punishment too. People who deserve the sentence have no place in a civilized society.

Freak

lighthouse said:
You're about as ignorant as a sandbag.
Note: instead of replying to the objections offered in my original post you resort to a personal attack. Truth hurts, eh?

Freak

allsmiles said:
I believe in capital punishment too. People who deserve the sentence have no place in a civilized society.

Did these people, whom were guilty of what would be considered capital crimes, have a place in society?

Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

They were not called upon by the apostle Paul to report to the governing authorities to be put to death. They were instead...

Washed
Sancitifed
and Justified

And guess what... life worked better then death for these individuals.

Freak

BillyBob said:
I'm not as interested in what your interpretation of the Bible is as I am in US and State Law.

Don't rely upon the law of the land to be righteous...

As it stands right now...baby killing is endorsed, legal and promoted.

Freak

BillyBob said:
Wife Killing isn't. :nono:

Peterson was also charged with killing his unborn baby.

Not interested in talking about personalities, I'm interested in dealing with the theological allowances of the death penalty and the objections I raised.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
Freak, do you believe the Bible teaches us to allow evil to be done to us without objecting? (Specifically, done by the government)

Freak

Imrahil said:
Freak, do you believe the Bible teaches us to allow evil to be done to us without objecting? (Specifically, done by the government)

I'll give you what the Scriptures state on this very issue...

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”says the Lord. On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

According to Paul how should we overcome evil? Hint: see bold.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
Freak said:
I'll give you what the Scriptures state on this very issue...

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”says the Lord. On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

According to Paul how should we overcome evil? Hint: see bold.
Didn't answer the question. Should we at least speak out against evil? Or are we required to endure evil in silence?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Freak said:
Not interested in talking about personalities, I'm interested in dealing with the theological allowances of the death penalty and the objections I raised.

I'm not interested in arguing theological differences, I am interested in US law and executing murderers.