I have a question about observing God’s commands in light of New Testament scriptures

God's Truth

And you have no humility Who are you to tell me your understanding is better than mine? Nah, I'm smiling now, not mad or anything, but I do mean what I say.

You see how shallow you understand it…I said something that offended you so you make a false accusation about me to defend yourself.

James was speaking of the ROYAL LAW OF LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR.
James was speaking a lot about the law because he was writing his epistle to Jews who were born under the law.

Even Paul the Pharisee who preached to Gentiles spoke a lot about the law!

Do you really think that the Gentiles who lived among the Jews did not know they were considered unclean and without God?

Yesterday I made a commandment - thou shall not jump from airplanes without parachutes.

And guess what? Over 7 billion people listened to my command!

So are you mocking God now?

I understand what you're saying. The thing is I will never be guilty! It's impossible. I am forgiven, unconditionally, eternally, period.

You are forgiven and are NOT TO DO THOSE sins anymore. Do you need the scripture references?
And so are you, regardless what you believe
No way do I have salvation without having salvation.

No way are people in a salvation but do not know it.

The Bible says ETERNAL LIFE is to KNOW God.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I have not agreed with you that obedience and legalism are the same.
Your agreement was not asked for, nor is it required. Words mean things, Jacob!

In this you are mistaken if this is what you believe I was saying when I said that I know I am to obey God.
Every idiot on the planet knows you have to obey God, moron! The question here has to do with just what is it that we are to obey and why. Of course you knew that already.

I said obedience and legalism are different before supporting obedience to God. I don't understand where your issue with what I have said is.
Yes you do. If you didn't, you could never have even written the open post of this thread!

I'm not stupid, Jacob. I'm quite good at this sort of stuff and am quite patient with people who are looking to have a substantive conversation about important things. You don't have to agree with me - ever - but I will not endlessly repeat myself because you're in the mood to be stubborn. Honest disagreement I can handle, intellectual dishonesty and stupidity I have no patience for whatsoever.

God's Truth

I understand what you're saying. The thing is I will never be guilty! It's impossible. I am forgiven, unconditionally, eternally, period.

And so are you, regardless what you believe :banana:

John 17:3 Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I gave you many scriptures showing that a person must be ceremonially clean or they could not even go in the temple, and they could not even eat the Passover meal.

Go study harder. It is a sad case indeed.

You made something up that is actually offensive.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Judaism served its purpose and is no longer applicable. Those that practice and/or revere it are only harking back to the glory days of old. You cannot mix the old with the new and be successful.

We need to know what the old and new are. I have studied the old and will continue to do so. I also want to study and understand the new. I understand the Law and the Prophets have not been abolished.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
We need to know what the old and new are. I have studied the old and will continue to do so. I also want to study and understand the new. I understand the Law and the Prophets have not been abolished.
The law is abolished

Colossians 2:14 KJV -

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It's a stupid question that is obviously loaded!

Of course we are to obey God! It's an absolutely idiotic question to even ask and one that frankly insults the intelligence of anyone you ask it of.

I'm going to give you one last chance to respond to my answers to your questions. If whatever you say does not advance the discussion then I'm out. I don't have the time to waste on small minded fools who can't carry a conversation past one sentence.

You spoke of the Law in that it condemns. I believe you were speaking of criminals. In regard to the new covenant I know the Law has not been abolished. I was surprised at your answers. I have no idea if you somehow have something against me, but if you do what can I do to help my case?

beameup

Your comment here implies that such Messianic congregations are not currently saved members of the Body of Christ and that they would therefore be left here after the Body of Christ is removed.

Did you intend to imply that?

I think you need to re-read my comments.
If you are a Christian of Jewish descent and wish to get in touch with your "Jewish roots" then, by all means, do so. Just be aware that there are some Messianic "congregations" that are insisting that Gentiles must become Jews.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Your agreement was not asked for, nor is it required. Words mean things, Jacob!

Every idiot on the planet knows you have to obey God, moron! The question here has to do with just what is it that we are to obey and why. Of course you knew that already.

Yes you do. If you didn't, you could never have even written the open post of this thread!

I'm not stupid, Jacob. I'm quite good at this sort of stuff and am quite patient with people who are looking to have a substantive conversation about important things. You don't have to agree with me - ever - but I will not endlessly repeat myself because you're in the mood to be stubborn. Honest disagreement I can handle, intellectual dishonesty and stupidity I have no patience for whatsoever.

I actually don't know why you are responding the way you are. Let me try to explain.

As a Christian I believe I am to obey God's commands, even God's commands in the new covenant whatever they are. But in my life this was met with opposition, with people saying this is legalism. So I recognized also that the Law has commands of God as well. All are guilty of breaking God's Law. I just don't see how anyone would want to. I believe the Law has not been abolished.

The OP has to do with the question some have as they come across old covenant commands when reading the New Testament scriptures, even the gospels. If a person will not observe old covenant commands, will they observe old covenant commands when they are found in the New Testament scriptures? If so, in what case will they and in what case will they not? For example, if it is before some time in Jesus' life or even before He died or rose again, appeared to many, or ascended? What about if it is only if Paul said it, since he ministered the truth of God and Jesus to the Gentiles? People have different standards. This is about what we believe and why we believe it. It relates to old covenant commands that are known and defining the new covenant and commands associated with it if we can do so. Are new covenant commands old covenant commands? Is it true that punishments for old covenant commands are not there in the new covenant? Or, is this not the case?

God's Truth

Jacob, why did the Jews sacrifice animals?

How Jacob calls himself a student of the Torah and teacher and judge to us here is unbelievable.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Why did God want them to?

God gave commands that were to be observed. Among these were those pertaining to animal sacrifice. Some believe this was just so we would understand what it meant for Jesus to take our place as the lamb of God. That the sacrifices are pictures of something greater than sacrifice. In any case I do not believe animal sacrifice to be immoral. I also do not participate in animal sacrifice, either because there is no temple (animal sacrifice could only be done where God made His name to dwell), because I was not born a Jew (if anything I am a convert, though I do observe old covenant commands as a new covenant believer even being still a Christian), or because God no longer wants animal sacrifice.

God's Truth

God gave commands that were to be observed. Among these were those pertaining to animal sacrifice. Some believe this was just so we would understand what it meant for Jesus to take our place as the lamb of God. That the sacrifices are pictures of something greater than sacrifice.

Something greater than the sacrifice of Jesus Christ?!!!

In any case I do not believe animal sacrifice to be immoral.

What in the world does that have to do with anything?

I also do not participate in animal sacrifice, either because there is no temple (animal sacrifice could only be done where God made His name to dwell), because I was not born a Jew (if anything I am a convert, though I do observe old covenant commands as a new covenant believer even being still a Christian), or because God no longer wants animal sacrifice.

You lose focus too easily. Tell me what the animal sacrifice did, according to what God says in the Holy Bible.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Something greater than the sacrifice of Jesus Christ?!!!

What in the world does that have to do with anything?

You lose focus too easily. Tell me what the animal sacrifice did, according to what God says in the Holy Bible.

My understanding is that animal sacrifice speaks of atonement when the laws of Torah were followed correctly.

Jesus was not sacrificed as an animal sacrifice. But animal sacrifice did point to what He accomplished for our atonement in His death upon the cross. We know Him to be the lamb of God. The Bible says that Christ our Passover has been sacrificed. This was not a ritual sacrifice. It was not an human sacrifice (this would be forbidden by Torah). He died for our sins being innocent and yet being murdered. That is, He was killed contrary to God's Holy Law. But here we have the blood of Jesus shed for us, and atonement, even in the new covenant.

Some believe God did not want animal sacrifice. But He is the one who commanded it.