How important is the Sabbath?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The Sabbath Day command has not been done away with.

Saying it doesn't make it so.

Colossians 2:16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. 18 Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, 19 and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God.

20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations— 21 “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” 22 which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.​

It's astounding to me the tenacity with which people cling to doctrines that are completely blown apart by the quotation of a single passage of scripture!

I mean, there's not even any argument that needs to be explained. No complex connects that need to be made between various passages in diverse places throughout the bible. It's literally as simple as reading two paragraphs in one book of the New Testament and you've got the whole thing settled.

I know that it won't convince you. You're convinced of your doctrine by things other than the plain reading of scripture - most people are. But this debate was over before it started. All you can do is make every attempt to explain away what Paul clearly states. That the sabbaths were a shadow of things to come. Those who are in Christ have entered into His rest, into the REAL Sabbath and have no need for such shadows any longer.

I just have the same question for you that Paul had for the Galatians...
Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?

Resting in Him,
Clete

lifeisgood

Many worship the day instead of the Creator of the day; therefore, producing such conflagration of nonsense that most don't even know what is important anymore.

Satan enjoys these so much for when some enter into such discussions their eyes are taken off Christ Jesus and His finished legal work on the Cross of Calvary, which is the only important issue.

Since Christ Jesus saved me I worship the Lord on Monday and on Tuesday and on Wednesday and on Thursday and on Friday and on Saturday and on Sunday.

Titus 3:9 --- But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

clefty

Jewish "days" started at sundown - "evening and morning" - from sundown to sundown was a day.
Also, that week of the trial and crucifixion, there was a mid-week Feast of the Passover on Nisan 14.
The women went out at "first light", but that was many hours after that day had actually begun.
Even on our Roman calendar, the next day starts right after midnight.

The instruction was to kill the lamb on the 14th the passing over occurred on that midnight and celebrated on the 15th.

Now think carefully, if the lamb was killed on the 14 th and eaten that night the passing over and killing of first born would be on the 15th.

But both the lambs and the first born were killed the same day.

Passover is celebrated on the 15th; begun in the morning which ended the night His wrath passed over on the 14th

Just because someone says and does something for a long time does not make it right. Biblical days begin in in the morning.

Last edited:

TweetyBird

So why didn't He say so when He's said the sabbath was made for man...not just Israel?

Or you making Him out to be a liar?

I don't believe He was talking about a literal 7th day Sabbath.

How about when Isaiah says all nations will come again to worship sabbath to sabbath...he lied too?

If He is the Sabbath, as I believe, then all those out of the nations who come to Him are in the Sabbath rest. It goes back to Jesus saying that He fulfilled all the Law and Prophets. So we need to line up our beliefs in Him as the fulfillment. Jesus said that He was lifted up so that all men could come up to Him. Perhaps you just don't see the spiritual application. When I read the OT, Jesus is all I see and how He fulfilled it and that is my perspective. I do not look for things that I think were left undone. I believe He satisfied it all.

No one kept the Law prior Sinai. Arguing from silence.

The Law and the Sabbath was given ONLY to the nation of/the children of Israel. This is restated over and over again throughout the OT.

Deut 5
1 And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them.

2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.

3 The Lord made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day.

The Law was reintroduced with great drama as the Hebrews had been under another authority for awhile and forgot it...so they had to "Remember"

Not according to Deut 5:3

He said "Abraham obeyed me and did everything I required of him, keeping my commands, my decrees and my instructions."

According to Deut 5:3 that is not what God was referring to.

Now do you suppose that the Eternal Law sorta evolved as necessary? Additional instruction was revealed as He came up with it? Countering or reversing or nullifying previous instruction?

The Mosaic Law was not an eternal Law. It was not given and unknown until God gave to Israel at Mt Sinai.

Maybe some things weren't properly worked out or maybe He copied from man's laws.

God copied His law from mankind??? just wow.:comeout:

Joseph was quite clear sexual relations with his boss's wife was a sin against Yah not the boss or even pharaoh.

Clearly people knew right from wrong. That is born into us. But the specific Law that God gave to Israel, was unknown until that point.

And um...as a Christian don't you believe your are a part of spiritual Israel?

No. I am born again of the Spirit of Christ and of His Living Water. I am in Him, the Vine, the Tree of Life, the Light of the World. He is my Savior, not Israel.

Is spiritual israel an apartheid state with two sets of laws governing two classes of citizens?

There is only one covenant - those who are washed in the Blood of Jesus Christ. Those in Him are ALL citizens of Heaven. Jew and Gentile alike - there is no difference in Christ. His Law/His Covenant is written on the hearts of those who believe. hint: it's not the Mosaic Law.

When He died the Law was not torn in two the curtain was. It separated all but one from the Law but now we all have access to it.

The Mosaic Law Covenant forbade direct access to God. Only the High Priest was allowed into the Holy of Holies one time per year - on the Day of Atonement. When the veil was torn in half, God reconciled all men to Himself through Christ at our High Priest of Melchizedek. The blood of shed animals that were sprinkled on the mercy seat came to an end. Christ's blood was sprinkled on the mercy seat in Heaven - the one and for all sacrifice. There was never again separation from God through Christ. Read Heb 8 and 9.

In fact this perfect Law is in our heads and hearts.

Fault was found with the Law because it could not atone for sin enough to reconcile us to God. Even though God accepted the slain animals sacrificed for the atonement of sin, it was never enough. In Christ, it is Finished. The Mosaic Law is not in my mind and heart. Perhaps for you, a continuing bloody Law with the blood of animals is preferable to the one Sacrifice of Christ. :doh:

But you would have it abolished or a different set.

Jesus completely fulfilled, satisfied and replaced the Old Covenantal Mosaic Law.

TweetyBird

Sacrifices and festivals have been done away with.

That means the feasts and sabbaths are down away with. The Mosaic Law was founded upon, ratified in, the blood of animals. That is the only way the feast and Sabbaths could be kept. One jot or tittle removed or changed in the Law was its demise.

TweetyBird

Christians are a part of the nation of Israel because they are a grafted branch. Romans 9:6
It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel.

I am not grafted into Israel, but into Christ, who is the Root, the Vine.

TweetyBird

The Seventh Day Sabbath Rest is also a sign for Christians because we are also Israel.

We are citizens of Heaven. The Kingdom of Christ is not of this world. Israel did not die for me and reconcile me to God. Israel rejected her Messiah as a nation, but a remnant has, is, and always will continue to come to the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation.

TweetyBird

Ephesians 2:12
remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world.

Now we are one new man {Jew an Gentile) through Christ and are being built into a spiritual habitation. Our citizenship is in Heaven, translated into Jesus' Kingdom.

TweetyBird

The Sabbath Day Rest was given to Adam, the first man.

No it wasn't. God rested on the 7th day. He did not tell man to rest. It was given to Israel as a sign that they were the people of God. I remember the 7th day every Saturday. It is holy to me in my heart as recognition of the finished creation of the God and I thank Him it.

TweetyBird

Forever is forever, unless there should come a change. That change is a revoked covenant and a change in priesthood.

There was a change in the covenant [God broke it] and a change in the Priesthood [Levite no more, The High Priesthood of Melchizedek in Christ now and forever more]. The Mosaic Covenant Law has vanished/passed away.

TweetyBird

[FONT="]Yahshua the Messiah was the Firstfruits of the Resurrection Monday Evening.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians+15:20&version=NIV"][FONT="]1 Corinthians 15:20[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]1 Corinthians 15:23[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]But each in turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]

What is "yahshuah"?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We are citizens of Heaven. The Kingdom of Christ is not of this world. Israel did not die for me and reconcile me to God. Israel rejected her Messiah as a nation, but a remnant has, is, and always will continue to come to the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation.
Yep, there was/is always a remnant of Israel.
No other nation was promised to always have a believing remnant and to always be beloved of GOD.

Israel is not the BOC (Body of Christ).
The BOC has no connection to Israel.

Romans 11:28 KJV
(28) As concerning the gospel, they [Israel] are enemies for your [BOC] sakes: but as touching the election, they [Israel] are beloved for the fathers' sakes.

Israel still has a glorious future coming.

The BOC does not get to change or replace the promises GOD made to Israel.

Hawkins

Sabbath is for God to declare His sovereignty over our world. That's why all today's humans rest in our weekends, the Jews observe the Sabbath and Christians attend Sunday services.

Matthew 19:18-19 (NIV)
“Which ones?” he inquired. Jesus replied, “ ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony,
honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”

Observing Sabbath is not mentioned. Christians attend gatherings we call Sunday services instead.

How many saved Christians seriously observed Sabbath in the past 2000 years? In contrary, how many saved Christians attended gatherings such as Sunday services in the past 2000 years? To me, this is all foreseen 2000 years ago and that's why Sabbath is not there when Jesus mentioned the commandments.

daqq

Yep, there was/is always a remnant of Israel.
No other nation was promised to always have a believing remnant and to always be beloved of GOD.

Israel is not the BOC (Body of Christ).
The BOC has no connection to Israel.

Romans 11:28 KJV
(28) As concerning the gospel, they [Israel] are enemies for your [BOC] sakes: but as touching the election, they [Israel] are beloved for the fathers' sakes.

Israel still has a glorious future coming.

The BOC does not get to change or replace the promises GOD made to Israel.

Those are the lost sheep of the house of Israel; the only ones to whom Yeshua was sent, (Matthew 15:24). They are therefore the body of Messiah.