How important is the Sabbath?

Ben Masada

One day of the seven day week was blessed by the Creator.

Genesis 2:3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Sanctify means to set apart, to make holy. Humans cannot rescind God's blessing on a holy day.

That's how important has the Sabbath become.

Ben Masada

He sanctified it at creation...it was made Holy back then. Did He sanctified it Holy for Himself? Do you think He made it as a memorial to remind Himself? "Oh yeah...I made it..."

Not for Himself but for man, especially, Israel. And He did not make it as a memorial to Himself but to man, especially Israel. (Ezekiel 20:12,20)

After the disobedience in the garden everything He created He cursed, land, creatures and man was but not the Sabbath. It remains Holy. Remember?

Yes, but there was no disobedience in the Garden of Eden. The command given to Adam & Eve was made within the concept of a Catch-22. That's when a command is obeyed by doing the opposite.

Like the other commandments, the sabbath is a saying or word describing what it is like with Him where He is. There is no other god where He is, no images there, no need to kill, steal, for adultery, lies or coveting where "I AM"

Agreed.

And oh BTW not only was Sabbath given to the whole nation of Israel not just one tribe but it is the only commandment that specifically includes to the stranger the non Israelite with them. (And even the animals)

Yes, but due to our Freewill, we are still the lord of the Sabbath as the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath.

And someday soon, halleluYah! all people will celebrate from new moon to new moon Sabbath to Sabbath in His house of prayer for all nations.

Yes, halleluYah!

Not just one tribe who even taxed their brothers to worship there...

Yes, but still, the Sabbath was especially given to Israel as a token of identification of the Lord with His People. (Ezekiel 20:12,20)

Ben Masada

Wait...what?

Acts 21 discusses the slanderous rumors said about Paul so he entered a vow to prove he was not teaching the law changed.

And in Romans he is speaking of which day to fast, not about which day to worship on...

Paul had no vow to fulfill in the Temple at that festival. James suggested to him to join 4 Jews who had a real vow to fulfill and make himself believe that he was too observing the Law though under camouflage which was a shame! But, since God is not to mock, Paul was identified by Jews from Asia, revealed to the Congregation, arrested and taken to Rome where he died. I don't like what James did, not too becoming for a "Rabbi" of his stature but the reason why Paul was arrested was proved not to have been a slander but the truth. He was indeed preaching to the Jews to stop circumcising their children and following the Jewish customs.

Regarding the Sabbath, Paul's opinion was that one could choose any day of the week to keep or even not to keep any day at all. Either way, one would be doing for the Lord in his opinion. Specifically the Sabbath, he probably did not like it because it was part of the Decalogue, period! He liked to teach that he himself and his followers had been released from the whole Law. (Romans 7:6,7)

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
What do you mean, that's preferable rather to lie than to say the truth! Not too becoming!

This was a really stupid thing for you to say. Unbelievable.

I didn't say a word about lying. I was simply saying that you don't have to spill all your beans at once. It draws people out and makes for a far more interesting and intellectually stimulating conversation. Especially when you know that the person asking the question isn't looking for an actual answer, as if he's undecided about it. When someone asks a leading question, sometimes it makes more sense to resist being lead in the direction he wants you to go.

clefty

This was a really stupid thing for you to say. Unbelievable.

I didn't say a word about lying. I was simply saying that you don't have to spill all your beans at once. It draws people out and makes for a far more interesting and intellectually stimulating conversation. Especially when you know that the person asking the question isn't looking for an actual answer, as if he's undecided about it. When someone asks a leading question, sometimes it makes more sense to resist being lead in the direction he wants you to go.

Sabbath doesn't seem to be important to you. Is it?

We were told to preach and teach. Be interesting, intellectually stimulating and sensibly resistant elsewhere.

Satan hides behind pretty talk and fancy words.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Sabbath doesn't seem to be important to you. Is it?

We were told to preach and teach. Be interesting, intellectually stimulating and sensibly resistant elsewhere.

Satan hides behind pretty talk and fancy words.

I don't remember having ever read anything you've ever posted until this post.

You've set an unbeatable record. You made my ignore list after one post!

I wonder if you actually expected a substantive response on a theology discussion forum after telling me to go be interesting somewhere else and then likening me to Satan, presumably because I have a half way decent vocabulary?

daqq

Numbers 28

And that is supposed to show that God did not mean what He said through His prophets Isaiah and Jeremiah in the passages which were already quoted? The very opening lines of the passage you reference reveal yet again that your understanding of sacrifices is based in a "flesh for the belly" carnal understanding. Do you really suppose that Elohim eats literal physical rams, lambs, goats, calves, and bullocks for food? In addition the opening statement uses lechem, which is bread, and is often times employed as a basic word for food. In the KJV and older translations lechem is in many places rendered as "meat", however, three or four hundred years ago, "meat" did not always mean "flesh" as it has come to mean in modern English usage. Lechem, and artos which is the Greek equivalent, both specifically mean "bread", and when rendered "meat" in Bible translations these words do not mean the flesh of slain beasts but rather simply "food" or sustenance.

Numbers 28:2 KJV
2 Command the children of Israel, and say unto them, My offering, and my bread
[lechem] for my sacrifices made by fire, for a sweet savour unto me, shall ye observe to offer unto me in their due season.

Numbers 28:2 ASV
2 Command the children of Israel, and say unto them, My oblation, my food
[lechem] for my offerings made by fire, of a sweet savor unto me, shall ye observe to offer unto me in their due season.

So according to how you answered my previous posts, by quoting Numbers 28, what you have said by default from the context itself is that you believe God eats literal physical slain beasts, rams, lambs, goats, calves, and bullocks, all of them sons of a year, and of course with their blood properly drained, even though the passage clearly states in the opening lines that the oblations and offerings which follow are the BREAD and-or FOOD of Elohim Most High, who is SPIRIT and non-corporeal.

TweetyBird

Exodus 20:10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God.

It's strange that you believe YHWH is a man.

The Sabbath was given to Israel, to be kept within their community. The Sabbath was not given to the Gentiles. No one kept the Sabbath until God gave it to Israel at Mt Sinai. And then, even Israel never kept the Sabbath because of unbelief.

TweetyBird

One day of the seven day week was blessed by the Creator.

Genesis 2:3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Sanctify means to set apart, to make holy. Humans cannot rescind God's blessing on a holy day.

There was no commandment for man to observe the 7th day. The text says GOD RESTED on that day, not mankind. There was no command or suggestion or hint that anyone prior to Israel at Mt Sinai that was given the Sabbath to keep as a holy day. In fact, God said He did not give any of the commandments He gave to Israel before His gave His Law contained in the Mosaic Law until Mt Sinai.

TweetyBird

And that is supposed to show that God did not mean what He said through His prophets Isaiah and Jeremiah in the passages which were already quoted? The very opening lines of the passage you reference reveal yet again that your understanding of sacrifices is based in a "flesh for the belly" carnal understanding. Do you really suppose that Elohim eats literal physical rams, lambs, goats, calves, and bullocks for food? In addition the opening statement uses lechem, which is bread, and is often times employed as a basic word for food. In the KJV and older translations lechem is in many places rendered as "meat", however, three or four hundred years ago, "meat" did not always mean "flesh" as it has come to mean in modern English usage. Lechem, and artos which is the Greek equivalent, both specifically mean "bread", and when rendered "meat" in Bible translations these words do not mean the flesh of slain beasts but rather simply "food" or sustenance.

Numbers 28:2 KJV
2 Command the children of Israel, and say unto them, My offering, and my bread
[lechem] for my sacrifices made by fire, for a sweet savour unto me, shall ye observe to offer unto me in their due season.

Numbers 28:2 ASV
2 Command the children of Israel, and say unto them, My oblation, my food
[lechem] for my offerings made by fire, of a sweet savor unto me, shall ye observe to offer unto me in their due season.

So according to how you answered my previous posts, by quoting Numbers 28, what you have said by default from the context itself is that you believe God eats literal physical slain beasts, rams, lambs, goats, calves, and bullocks, all of them sons of a year, and of course with their blood properly drained, even though the passage clearly states in the opening lines that the oblations and offerings which follow are the BREAD and-or FOOD of Elohim Most High, who is SPIRIT and non-corporeal.

1 indicated Num 28 to prove that sacrifices were required on the Sabbath, per the Law of Moses. That means no one cannot actually observe/be obedient/keep the Sabbath unless they sacrifice animals per Num 28.

TweetyBird

Yes, it's the Father's covenant.

No one can keep the Mosaic Law Covenant. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. If you fail at one commandment, you have failed at all.

God the Father only has one covenant - the new covenant which is the blood of Christ, the Gospel.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
There was no command or suggestion or hint that anyone prior to Israel at Mt Sinai that was given the Sabbath to keep as a holy day.

Numbers 15:32 Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day.

If you don't care to remember to keep the seventh day set apart that is fine with me. Go for it.

:carryon:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
No one can keep the Mosaic Law Covenant. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. If you fail at one commandment, you have failed at all.

God the Father only has one covenant - the new covenant which is the blood of Christ, the Gospel.

TweetyBird

Numbers 15:32 Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day.

If you don't care to remember to keep the seventh day set apart that is fine with me. Go for it.

You are not keeping the Sabbath either. So are you suggesting that you get stones thrown at you, too?