How important is the Sabbath?

TweetyBird

That's why I said He rested from His creation, I said nothing about the 7th day. It WAS the 7th day, do you expect He should make a sacrifice and light candles for Himself?

God rested on the 7th day. It was not a Sabbath until He gave it to Israel as a sign that they were His chosen people.

Exodus 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
A commandment given to whom?

Jesus said the Sabbath is given to mankind.

Mark 2:27-28 And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

The Sabbath belongs to whom?

Hebrews 4:9 NASB So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

TweetyBird

Jesus said the Sabbath is given to mankind.

Mark 2:27-28 And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

The Sabbath belongs to whom?

Hebrews 4:9 NASB So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

That is only part of the passage, taken out of context.

The true "Sabbath" is another day, another place - a place of belief and rest. Guess who that is? Israel never entered into that Sabbath rest, why not? Because of unbelief. And still today are in unbelief while they observe the Sabbath because they have rejected the true Sabbath Rest.

Jesus said, Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

He is Lord of the Sabbath and all who are in Him are in the Sabbath rest, 24/7 - eternally.

Ben Masada

In Christian history the Catholic's made war against the Sabbath keeping Christians.

Unnecessary war because Christians are under no obligation to keep the Sabbath holy; unless they convert to Judaism according to Halacha aka Jewish Law. (Isaiah 56:1-80). The Sabbath doesn't even show in the Noahide
laws.

clefty

And Paul spoke against both, circumcision and the Sabbath in his gospel. (Acts 21:21; Romans 14:6)

Wait...what?

Acts 21 discusses the slanderous rumors said about Paul so he entered a vow to prove he was not teaching the law changed.

And in Romans he is speaking of which day to fast, not about which day to worship on...

Last edited:

clefty

To the Jews so that the Sabbath be a sign between Yahweh and us so that we never forget that Yahweh is our God. (Ezekiel 20:12,20)

He sanctified it at creation...it was made Holy back then.

Did He sanctified it Holy for Himself?

Do you think He made it as a memorial to remind Himself? "Oh yeah...I made it..."

After the disobedience in the garden everything He created He cursed, land, creatures and man was but not the Sabbath. It remains Holy. Remember?

Like the other commandments, the sabbath is a saying or word describing what it is like with Him where He is. There is no other god where He is, no images there, no need to kill, steal, for adultery, lies or coveting where "I AM"

And oh BTW not only was Sabbath given to the whole nation of Israel not just one tribe but it is the only commandment that specifically includes to the stranger the non Israelite with them. (And even the animals)

And someday soon, halleluYah! all people will celebrate from new moon to new moon Sabbath to Sabbath in His house of prayer for all nations.

Not just one tribe who even taxed their brothers to worship there...

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
One day of the seven day week was blessed by the Creator.

Genesis 2:3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Sanctify means to set apart, to make holy. Humans cannot rescind God's blessing on a holy day.