Homosexuality selected because of societal function

glassjester

Tell ya what. Why don't you go and listen to the Ligeti: "Clouds and Clouds" piece I posted in 'the what are you listening to now' thread recently and then get back to me as to how I'm supposed to find a bloody Beyonce song interesting?

You don't have to find it interesting.
Just entertaining.

You can do it.
I believe in you.

Arthur Brain

If someone offered you a billion dollars and told you that you had, let's say, a year to actually start liking Beyonce's music, I guarantee you could do it.

Seriously? You think the offer of a cash incentive can actually cause someone to like bland commercial pap?
Your argument is becoming weaker and weaker as it goes. I could pretend that I liked it in order to get the money but that would be it...

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If someone offered you a billion dollars and told you that you had, let's say, a year to actually start liking Beyonce's music, I guarantee you could do it.

No you couldn't. A person could *pretend* to like it, but that's not the same as genuinely liking her music. Remember the time that ego-driven billionaire J. Howard Marshall believed he could buy the love of the much younger Anna Nicole Smith? That worked out so well for him.

glassjester

Seriously? You think the offer of a cash incentive can actually cause someone to like bland commercial pap?
Your argument is becoming weaker and weaker as it goes. I could pretend that I liked it in order to get the money but that would be it...

No way, man.

You could genuinely like it.
The billion dollars could be replaced with any incentive. It doesn't matter. You pick.

You could acquire a taste for Beyonce.

Arthur Brain

No way, man.

The billion dollars could be replaced with any incentive. It doesn't matter. You pick.

It wouldn't matter what the incentive was. If someone wired me up to a polygraph test in order to ascertain whether or not I was telling the truth I'd fail it. Bland commercial pap bores me and that's simply the truth.

Arthur Brain

No you couldn't. A person could *pretend* to like it, but that's not the same as genuinely liking her music. Remember the time that ego-driven billionaire J. Howard Marshall believed he could buy the love of the much younger Anna Nicole Smith? That worked out so well for him.

Precisely...

:thumb:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No way, man.

Nah, AB is not like that. I, OTOH, would be willing to pretend to love her IF she wrote me a check for $ 5,000,000. And to think some oddball somewhere said "money can't buy happiness".
attachment.php

glassjester

A good friend of mine hated, absolutely hated, country music.

Then, for a couple years, he traveled around with his dad, who only listened to country music, the whole time they were driving. Hours on end, for days on end, for months on end.

Guess what? He started to love country music.

But AB says that can't happen.

Arthur Brain

Right, because no one ever acquired a taste for anything. :kookoo:

If I was arguing that people don't acquire tastes for anything then you might have had a point. As it is I haven't and have even told you how I developed some of my own in regards to music. Bland pop music is never going to inform that and your argument just fails yet further...

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A good friend of mine hated, absolutely hated, country music.

Then, for a couple years, he traveled around with his dad, who only listened to country music, the whole time they were driving. Hours on end, for days on end, for months on end.

Guess what? He started to love country music.

But AB says that can't happen.

And you have yet to explain ... why it *should* happen ...

MrDante

They might not have consciously moved down that path.
People are not vigilant enough of how they form themselves (I don't only mean homosexuals, here).

The same goes for any psychological state. People aren't always paying attention to where they're going.
For example, a long series of choices can lead someone further and further into developing an irrevocable personality disorder, right? If they knew that was where they were heading, they would have stopped. But people rarely pay attention to the way seemingly inconsequential daily actions affect them over the span of years.

What causes personality disorders?
Research suggests that genetics, abuse and other factors contribute to the development of obsessive-compulsive, narcissistic or other personality disorders.
In the past, some believed that people with personality disorders were just lazy or even evil. But new research has begun to explore such potential causes as genetics, parenting and peer influences:
Genetics. Researchers are beginning to identify some possible genetic factors behind personality disorders.
One team, for instance, has identified a malfunctioning gene that may be a factor in obsessive-compulsive disorder. Other researchers are exploring genetic links to aggression, anxiety and fear — traits that can play a role in personality disorders. Childhood trauma. Findings from one of the largest studies of personality disorders, the Collaborative Longitudinal Personality Disorders Study, offer clues about the role of childhood experiences.
One study found a link between the number and type of childhood traumas and the development of personality disorders. People with borderline personality disorder, for example, had especially high rates of childhood sexual trauma. Verbal abuse. Even verbal abuse can have an impact. In a study of 793 mothers and children, researchers asked mothers if they had screamed at their children, told them they didn’t love them or threatened to send them away. Children who had experienced such verbal abuse were three times as likely as other children to have borderline, narcissistic, obsessive-compulsive or paranoid personality disorders in adulthood. High reactivity. Sensitivity to light, noise, texture and other stimuli may also play a role.
Overly sensitive children, who have what researchers call “high reactivity,” are more likely to develop shy, timid or anxious personalities. However, high reactivity’s role is still far from clear-cut. Twenty percent of infants are highly reactive, but less than 10 percent go on to develop social phobias. Peers. Certain factors can help prevent children from developing personality disorders.

You answered your own question.
Animals have no values. They just respond to their urges.

That's why being a gay chimp ain't no thang.
Just like being an incestuous chimp ain't no thang.
is your emotional/romantic life just an urge?

glassjester

Nah, AB is not like that. I, OTOH, would be willing to pretend to love her IF she wrote me a check for $ 5,000,000. And to think some oddball somewhere said "money can't buy happiness".
attachment.php

Given a year's time, you wouldn't have to pretend.
You could learn to enjoy another type of music.

I don't see why that's so unbelievable.
People do it all the time.

Many times consciously, by choice.
Kids often choose to like certain types of music to be "in" with a particular group.