Homosexuality selected because of societal function

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, I think I could.

The wonderful part about freedom is that you would have the option to *try* if you so desired ... or the option not to. There needs to be a compelling reason for someone to decide to live their life alone without companionship outside of "others are more comfortable if you live according to their standards".

glassjester

The wonderful part about freedom is that you would have the option to *try* if you so desired ... or the option not to. There needs to be a compelling reason for someone to decide to live their life alone without companionship outside of "others are more comfortable if you live according to their standards".

I agree. That would be difficult.

Maybe, like with many personality traits, there's some kind of "point of no return" for one's taste in sexual partners.

But that doesn't mean it's not the result of many small choices made over a long period of time.

glassjester

That compelling reason, by the way, could be their own religious beliefs, no?

As Fulton Sheen said, "If you don't behave as you believe, you will end up believing as you behave."

Arthur Brain

Yes. You definitely could choose to like Beyonce.

Sidenote: I like that you have worked your perfect pitch into two posts so far.

Ok, you are just not being rational here. I could no more choose to enjoy Beyonce than I could choose to enjoy cutting my leg off with a saw. Pop/chart music in general bores me because there's nothing remotely appealing about it to my ear. There was a reason why I brought perfect pitch into the equation -
A: it isn't a choice
B: Your argument is about as rational as saying that someone can choose to somehow be rid of it.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree. That would be difficult.

Maybe, like with many personality traits, there's some kind of "point of no return" for one's taste in sexual partners.

But that doesn't mean it's not the result of many small choices made over a long period of time.

I can only judge by my own experience ... which was around the age of five. I started noticing that guys were cute when I would go to church or watch TV, etc. I have no reliable proof that other people's experience is any different.

I am not saying that anyone has to act on an attraction, but rather that not being attracted is not an option.

glassjester

For yourself certainly ... as for expecting others to apply your standards to themselves, not so much.

Do you think we should base our moral beliefs on how we respond to physical urges, or should we base how we respond to physical urges on our moral beliefs?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh come on now.

That's an irrational thing to say.

People change their musical tastes. It happens.

Are you making the claim that if someone told you they were against your marriage and believed you should divorce your spouse, you could turn your feelings off at that very moment, grab your belongings, walk out the door ... and never look back?

glassjester

Are you making the claim that if someone told you they were against your marriage and believed you should divorce your spouse, you could turn your feelings off at that very moment, grab your belongings, walk out the door ... and never look back?

No. But if I believed it was morally wrong, I would.

I wouldn't reason this way: "Well if I feel the urge to do this, it must not be wrong!"

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you think we should base our moral beliefs on how we respond to physical urges, or should we base how we respond to physical urges on our moral beliefs?

I think *you* should base your actions and behaviors on *your* moral beliefs ... just as *I* (and others) should base our actions on our own. You need a more compelling reason other than "it's my personal/religious beliefs" in order to dissuade a person from their own beliefs/feelings.

glassjester

I think *you* should base your actions and behaviors on *your* moral beliefs ... just as *I* (and others) should base our actions on our own. You need a more compelling reason other than "it's my personal/religious beliefs" in order to dissuade a person from their own beliefs/feelings.

I agree.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I doubt there is simple gene for homosexuality. My guess is that there are epigenetic factors in interaction with the pre-natal environment like MrDante already said. There is research that suggests that it is more common in men with older brothers. I have no idea if this is true in other animals as well. If it is, it might be a mechanism (not in the sense of all youngest males are homosexuals, but statistically) that has been preserved due to an evolutionary advantage. But that is fairly speculative. ..

We know, from stratified random sample,controlled by birth order, there are statistically significant higher rates of reported homosexuality in males. We do not know why this is, and what is proposed, is conjecture, based on the difficulty of precise statistical models for determining constructs with many confounding factors.

One example, perhaps younger male sibling are more apt to reveal homosexual tendencies?

Arthur Brain

Oh come on now.

That's an irrational thing to say.

People change their musical tastes. It happens.

Tell ya what. Why don't you go and listen to the Ligeti: "Clouds and Clouds" piece I posted in 'the what are you listening to now' thread recently and then get back to me as to how I'm supposed to find a bloody Beyonce song interesting?

I was brought up on classical music, preferred the more contemporary variety and then developed into music that was electronic, alternative and a myriad genres while still appreciating some of the more traditional as long as something caught the ear. So in that sense I expanded my musical horizons - but not in any way could I find generic, bland commercial churned out pop pap in any way appealing.

You got this now?

glassjester

Quite often, people change their moral beliefs to suit their desires.