Home Schooling vs. Public Schooling

nelo_angelo

In that case it depends very much on the parents then. I apoligise for being too bold, I havent really had a chance to see beyond the social stigmata of home schooling.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Good for you! Well I imagine that public schools were a little bit different 30 years ago than they are today.

True. There was slightly more violence, and a lot more sexual experimentation going on back then. As you have seen, the schools today are much safer, and kids are turning away from premarital sex.

But even then, the kids who had been raised right made good decisions and did well. Those who hadn't, messed up, and blamed everyone but themselves. Pretty much like you did.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
While it is true that teachers themselves have opinions, a variety of teachers will be educating the child, resulting in a moderation of ideals and conflicts of opinion which encourages the child to make their own decision.

Home schooling is damaging to a child, as it shelters them from the real world which will be ditched on them when they leave home.

It doesn't have to be like that. It's very possible to homeschool a child and still encourage them to think for themselves.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
True. There was slightly more violence, and a lot more sexual experimentation going on back then. As you have seen, the schools today are much safer, and kids are turning away from premarital sex.

But even then, the kids who had been raised right made good decisions and did well. Those who hadn't, messed up, and blamed everyone but themselves. Pretty much like you did.
Sounds like a bit of revisionist history to me!
I don't know how old you are but when I graduated from high school 31 years ago. I had never heard of a school shooting and I knew of only one girl that got pregnant in my school! She and her boyfriend got married!

PKevman

I don't know how old you are but when I graduated from high school 31 years ago. I had never heard of a school shooting and I knew of only one girl that got pregnant in my school! She and her boyfriend got married!

God bless you Delmar! You are so right of course. Schools have gotten so much worse, that only hard-hearted fools like Barbarian will try to say they have gotten better. Anyone who grew up long ago can testify to how much worse our public schools are now. It sure didn't help when they took spankings and God out of schools either.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It doesn't have to be like that. It's very possible to homeschool a child and still encourage them to think for themselves.

Yes, quite so. Opponents of home schooling are just as guilty of demonizing it as opponents of public education are guilty of smearing all public schools. Both sides need to get a grip.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Normally alcohol kills brain cells. When The Barbarian drinks, the alcohol has to find something else to do.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

Well, let's take a look...

Ten years ago, researchers discovered something important; teen sex activity, rising since the 1970s, was declining.

WASHINGTON -- For the first time in more than 20 years, there is evidence that the rising wave of premarital sexual intercourse among America's teenagers finally may have crested and begun to subside.
New survey data released by the government Thursday show a decline in the percentage of unmarried teenagers of both sexes who acknowledged having had intercourse at some point between the ages of 15 and 19. These were the first declines ever recorded since the collection of such data began in the 1970s.

Los Angles Times, May 2, 1997

I don't know how old you are but when I graduated from high school 31 years ago. I had never heard of a school shooting

Turns out that violence has also declined significantly in public schools..

Reports of assaults, robberies, and vandalism were on the rise in U.S. schools from the late 1960s to the early 1970s. School violence leveled off by 1975. But in the early- and mid-1980s, reports revealed that school violence was on the rise once more, reaching a new peak in the early 1990s. Recent information tells us that today, school violence may be decreasing. In short, school violence, like violence in society, seems to run in cycles. These cycles appear to mirror the trends of violence in our larger society.
http://www.crf-usa.org/violence/school.html

And since then (early 1990s):

A federal report released last week shows that non-fatal violence dropped dramatically between 1992 and 2002.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1206/p01s01-ussc.html

How about that?

and I knew of only one girl that got pregnant in my school!

I didn't have any in my graduating class, but then, it was a small school. And personal anecdotes aren't an adequate defense against the facts.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
God bless you Delmar! You are so right of course. Schools have gotten so much worse, that only hard-hearted fools like Barbarian will try to say they have gotten better. Anyone who grew up long ago can testify to how much worse our public schools are now. It sure didn't help when they took spankings and God out of schools either.

See above. You're highly resistant to learning from experience, Kevin. You just had to apologize to me for posting lies about me (because you were dumb enough to trust Lighthouse), and now you're back in trouble, again.

The declines in school violence and sexual experimentation in the last twenty years has multiple causes. But it's a good thing, and even if you don't want to admit it, it's true.

Isn't it time you started thinking for yourself?

And posting a whiny message to me in a private venue just amuses me. Don't bother doing it again.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, let's take a look...

Ten years ago, researchers discovered something important; teen sex activity, rising since the 1970s, was declining.

WASHINGTON -- For the first time in more than 20 years, there is evidence that the rising wave of premarital sexual intercourse among America's teenagers finally may have crested and begun to subside.
New survey data released by the government Thursday show a decline in the percentage of unmarried teenagers of both sexes who acknowledged having had intercourse at some point between the ages of 15 and 19. These were the first declines ever recorded since the collection of such data began in the 1970s.

Los Angles Times, May 2, 1997

Turns out that violence has also declined significantly in public schools..

Reports of assaults, robberies, and vandalism were on the rise in U.S. schools from the late 1960s to the early 1970s. School violence leveled off by 1975. But in the early- and mid-1980s, reports revealed that school violence was on the rise once more, reaching a new peak in the early 1990s. Recent information tells us that today, school violence may be decreasing. In short, school violence, like violence in society, seems to run in cycles. These cycles appear to mirror the trends of violence in our larger society.
http://www.crf-usa.org/violence/school.html

And since then (early 1990s):

A federal report released last week shows that non-fatal violence dropped dramatically between 1992 and 2002.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1206/p01s01-ussc.html

How about that?

I didn't have any in my graduating class, but then, it was a small school. And personal anecdotes aren't an adequate defense against the facts.
Saying that the level of school violence dropped from 92- 2002 is not the same as saying it has dropped to the level it was in the 70's. You infer facts that are not in evidence and are, in fact, not facts at all!

Hank

I have two children in their 30s that got a great education at the exact same school I went too. The reason I know is that all three of us got masters degrees so something must have been right. I now have an 11 year old daughter that is getting the same great education in a school about 10 miles from where I went. I certainly realize there are some schools that are in bad shape, but you can't lump all schools in one pile and say they are all much worse. As for taking God out of schools, please don't let my daughter know that as she things God helps her at school every day.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Note that it says violence rose in the early 70s, and leveled off by 1975.

But let's take a better look...

Violence in schools has reached such proportions that teaching "has been reduced to he level of keeping discipline," a Senate subcommittee said in a study released yesterday.
Washington Post Jan 13, 1970

And it's not unique that you have a rose-colored memory of your school:

http://www.usatoday.com/educate/ondcp/lessons/Activity13.pdf

While drug use and violence was common in public schools then, it's dropped off considerably of late.

I would, of course, be open to your checkable numbers that it wasn't a problem in the 70s. Show us.

Inferences, based on facts are reasonable things, but if you would like to put more facts in evidence, now is the time.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I have two children in their 30s that got a great education at the exact same school I went too. The reason I know is that all three of us got masters degrees so something must have been right. I now have an 11 year old daughter that is getting the same great education in a school about 10 miles from where I went. I certainly realize there are some schools that are in bad shape, but you can't lump all schools in one pile and say they are all much worse. As for taking God out of schools, please don't let my daughter know that as she things God helps her at school every day.
So, when she gets a bad grade, how are you going to explain to her that God did not abandon her?

Hank

So, when she gets a bad grade, how are you going to explain to her that God did not abandon her?

That would be a pretty shallow belief about God if I taught her that God was like a Santa Clause that gives her material things like that. She has gotten a bad grade like when she forgot a homework paper and got a zero, and it was explained that it was not God’s fault but that she was responsible for her grades. What she has been taught about God is that he helps her with things like not getting anxious about a test that she has studied for.

BTW we also teach her that as she gets older, she must use her own brain and life experiences to decide for herself what she believes since an independent belief arrived at by the individual is the only belief that will stand up to trials and criticism.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
That would be a pretty shallow belief about God if I taught her that God was like a Santa Clause that gives her material things like that. She has gotten a bad grade like when she forgot a homework paper and got a zero, and it was explained that it was not God’s fault but that she was responsible for her grades. What she has been taught about God is that he helps her with things like not getting anxious about a test that she has studied for.

BTW we also teach her that as she gets older, she must use her own brain and life experiences to decide for herself what she believes since an independent belief arrived at by the individual is the only belief that will stand up to trials and criticism.
Well, that's good. Now take her out of public school so she isn't influenced into believing a lie by those Godless heathens she goes to school with.

WandererInFog

You know as I'm digging through articles, the argument that there was more school violence in the 1970's may have some legitimacy. Thanks to Time putting more of their old articles on their website here's one from 1978: (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,919319-1,00.html)

"The military-camp atmosphere of Morris High is extreme. But increasingly, schools from Memphis to Los Angeles are adopting similar methods—as well as closed-circuit TVs, guards, emergency phones in the classrooms—to combat a violence that was once undreamed of. Last year alone, Memphis reported 680 assaults, 144 of them directed against teachers or administrators. Miami's Dade County registered a shocking 1,153 attacks, and in Boston schools there were 155 assaults on teachers alone. In high-crime New York City, students erupted in 2,420 attacks, half of them against teachers. In Chicago the assault rate is running at five to six cases a day."

The key number though is that in the early part of this decade the rate of crime (including both violent and theft) was at 64 incidents per 1000 students. To get a real comparison would require finding number from the 70's 80's to compare that statistic to which I'm still digging around for.

Hank

Well, that's good. Now take her out of public school so she isn't influenced into believing a lie by those Godless heathens she goes to school with.

You take care of any kids you have and I'll take care of mine. I've already got two raised and they turned out pretty well. Besides, she will be an influence on them, not the other way around.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The key number though is that in the early part of this decade the rate of crime (including both violent and theft) was at 64 incidents per 1000 students. To get a real comparison would require finding number from the 70's 80's to compare that statistic to which I'm still digging around for.

The problem is, statistics on school crime haven't been well kept until the late 90s. But there is this:
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cv73_95.pdf

Go to page 3. You can then look up the same data for later years, and fill out the curve.

Unfortunately, school data is not broken out. However, the fact that school data followed that for society in general, in years where it was taken, suggests that the trending is a valid measurement.