Has the Law been done away with?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I have no idea what you are talking about...

See:

What is antinomianism?
elvis.gif

Ben Masada

Absolutely not. If that had happened, Jesus would have been proved a liar because he said that the Law would remain until heaven and earth passed away. (Matthew 5:17-19) Furthermore, he would not teach to achieve salvation by listening to "Moses" aka the Law. (Luke 16:29-31)

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

Absolutely not. If that had happened, Jesus would have been proved a liar because he said that the Law would remain until heaven and earth passed away. (Matthew 5:17-19) Furthermore, he would not teach to achieve salvation by listening to "Moses" aka the Law. (Luke 16:29-31)

It is good to obey God's commands found in the Law, that is, to observe the Law or observe Torah, because Torah or God's Law, the Law, is good.

Salvation is not by works. Justification is by faith. We are not justified by the works of the Law. This by no means speaks against good works or works that are in accordance with the Law.

Salvation requires repentance.

Remember or learn what Jesus said here.

Mark 1:15 NASB - 15 and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

Epoisses

The law has been done away with for believers who live by grace thru faith expressed in love. Not expecting you to understand grace. Grace is not something you do, in fact the less you do the more you receive.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Matthew 5:17 NASB - 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

http://www.thenarrowpath.com/archive/TNP160509H.mp3

The Law of Moses, the 613 not just ten has been done away with and is no longer the rule of life for the regenerated believers.

The Holy Spirit did not empower the OT Saint to keep "that law" because of the weakness of the flesh.

The Holy Spirit could be taken away from the OT Saint (David and co.) but cannot be taken from us!

The Holy Spirit empowers us to keep the Law because unlike the Mosaic Law the "old rule of life" for the saved, the Holy Spirit empowers our newborn human spirits to keep the "New Law" of Messiah.

The Letter kills but the Spirit gives life.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

ThreeAngels

No it hasn't. Jesus, the Author of the Law has said, 'Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.' Matt 5:17,18. The law holds as long as heaven and earth holds .

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
No it hasn't. Jesus, the Author of the Law has said, 'Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.' Matt 5:17,18. The law holds as long as heaven and earth holds.

The Law of Moses for Israel hasn't changed but its jurisdiction has.

California law doesn't change just because we go to New York, but now we abide by New York law.

ThreeAngels

The Law of Moses for Israel hasn't changed but its jurisdiction has.

California law doesn't change just because we go to New York, but now we abide by New York law.
The Law of the 10 commandments -referred to by Jesus in Matthew 5:17,18-
is binding on every human being as it ever has . However the ceremonial law was only meant to point to the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world and it has ended.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Law of Moses, the 613 not just ten has been done away with and is no longer the rule of life for the regenerated believers.

Moot point, no one on TOL has ever been subject to the Law of Moses given to Israel.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Law of the 10 commandments -referred to by Jesus in Matthew 5:17,18- is binding on every human being as it ever has .

In Matthew 5:17-18 to whom was Jesus speaking? Which country?

If Jesus wanted the ten commandments to be part of the NT he would have said so (and did).

You just have to know where to look.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Not all the of it has been done away with-only the ceremonial part. The rest is an expounding of the Decalogue.

Which part of the Ten is ceremonial? Was it the ceremony of not making idols in your workshop? Or was it the part about honoring parent?

Breaking any one of the Ten is like breaking an egg.

TweetyBird

In Matthew 5:17-18 to whom was Jesus speaking? Which country?

If Jesus wanted the ten commandments to be part of the NT he would have said so (and did).

You just have to know where to look.

How come the 10 commandments were given only to the nation of Israel under the old covenant and not to the Gentiles or other nations of the world?

How come the 10 commandments were given only to the nation of Israel under the old covenant and not to the Gentiles or other nations of the world?

You beat me to the punch, Tweety! Huge point, that speaks to very common sense. It's a question one could see a group of Jews mulling over, which they did in the early church, to a falling out that had to be rectified between Peter and Paul, the once Pharisee, Paul, setting Peter straight, with the help of the Lord, in the vision of the animals on the sheet.

It's an invalid question, given the Old Covenant never went out to the world, was only given to Israel, with no expectation of world evangelism of Judaism. The New Testament neither teaches anybody, including Jew, being under the law, no difference, Jew or Greek, etc. And the Lord instructed the gospel of Jesus Christ to go to all nations, not Judaism. The problem, as always, is creeping legalism that makes for Christian cults, of man made and demon made doctrines, which are not Biblical.

TweetyBird

You beat me to the punch, Tweety! Huge point, that speaks to very common sense. It's a question one could see a group of Jews mulling over, which they did in the early church, to a falling out that had to be rectified between Peter and Paul, the once Pharisee, Paul, setting Peter straight, with the help of the Lord, in the vision of the animals on the sheet.

It's an invalid question, given the Old Covenant never went out to the world, was only given to Israel, with no expectation of world evangelism of Judaism. The New Testament neither teaches anybody, including Jew, being under the law, no difference, Jew or Greek, etc. And the Lord instructed the gospel of Jesus Christ to go to all nations, not Judaism. The problem, as always, is creeping legalism that makes for Christian cults, of man made and demon made doctrines, which are not Biblical.

The validity of my question pertains to the concept that the 10 commandments was valid for the nation of Israel under the old covenant, and that has not changed in the new covenant per many in Christianity/Messianic Judaism. So how did this concept continue to formulate the church's view on the 10 as applicable since the first century? If the 10 were given to Israel, as part of their covenant with God, then where is the leap into the new covenant which is, as you point out, neither Jew or Gentile aka one new man, a new foundation built upon Jesus Christ as the Head Corner Stone and New High Priest, the apostles, and prophets --- not the Law/Covenant of Moses/Levitical Priesthood?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

The ten commandments were God's covenant with the people of Jacob. The covenant was placed in the ark of the covenant.

The people of Jacob were deemed by the Father to be his firstborn son, which for the most part turned out to be a wayward son.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
If the 10 were given to Israel, as part of their covenant with God, then where is the leap into the new covenant...

Through Jesus Christ the Father's firstborn son has been converted into the kingdom of his dear Son. (Colossians 1:13)