GUNS!

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
'Glad you did. I'm a big fan of big holes. Whatever advantage the smaller hole weapons provide, I feel like the bigger holes makes up for it. A 12g slug is the biggest hole of them all. The limitation is the range, which is way less than a rifle of any sort.

Alternative to Foster Slugs (patterns very nice):

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Can't beat that detachable magazine. And I sold the SKS the first day without haggle. I didn't price gouge, and it was not a collector piece, so that made it easy.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Huh, from a smooth bore I would think the smooth ball would be a lot more unpredictable after not many yards as compared with the rifled slugs, but I do like the idea.

Well...I have to admit that I only test fired them from about 20-25 yards. At that range they patterned reliably for me just like the box shows. I'm sure the more range you expect the more patterning and accuracy suffers.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Well...I have to admit that I only test fired them from about 20-25 yards. At that range they patterned reliably for me just like the box shows. I'm sure the more range you expect the more patterning and accuracy suffers.
Honestly it strikes me as a bit of a novelty, but that being said, I've never fired it and the next time I'm shopping for shells, if it's available I'll probably pick up a box just to try it out, because it does sound fun. That pattern is quite unique, to say the least, thanks for sharing it. :thumb:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Big slow bullets do work good at close range. There just isn't a reason for it in an AR. That is the short answer.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The longer answer is get a 30-30. If you want an AR, then 6.8 SPC is very close to the 30-30 in the smaller sizes. The 6.8 was developed for 2 legged critters, but has taken on a new life as a hunting round.

Here is a read from somebody that isn't a sponsor on the round. It is another forum, but for instructional purposes only, not to discuss there. You like my disclaimer for bending TOL rules? :chuckle:

The 300AAC, which is the first name is designed to be subsonic. Precision arms manufacturer Savage said this;

Some time ago, Savage announced it would be chambering the Model 10 Precision Carbine in 300 AAC Blackout. Since that time, we have tested many variants of this cartridge in various barrel lengths and rates of twist. This exhaustive testing left us quite unsatisfied with the accuracy we were able to get from the subsonic loads in this chambering. Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good. But we believe the real value in this cartridge lies in the use of subsonic loads for suppressed rifles. Therefore we have decided to scrap the project.

It is our understanding that pushing these heavy, slow bullets presents challenges not found in typical loadings and that our experience is not unique. Subsequently, many in the industry have simply adopted a lower standard for accuracy for these subsonic loads. While this does seem reasonable and we don’t criticize any in our industry that have taken this approach, it just won’t work for Savage.

Our brand was built on accuracy and we are too protective of our reputation for building the most accurate factory rifles available. We would rather walk away from this opportunity than sell a product that requires an explanation.​

If you want a pistol AR subsonic that is inaccurate, then fine. Or get a 1911.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Compare the 2 videos. They are in different posts because the message board software will not allow 2 videos in one post. They knew she would be driving down that street in her Mercedes Benz. They are after ransom money.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The best thing to do, as in video one, you keep driving right through the bad guys, then you get away. Now, if you have it in you to stop the bad guys, then drive a distance out and get your gun and shoot their car, NOT the bad guys shoot their car, get it?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
How easily can you draw while driving? I confess I don't practice it, as I don't have a garage that'd make it easy to do it privately. I'm not confident at all I could draw quick and sure enough in the driver's seat, thanks for bringing up the issue, now I can work on it.

I may have to change my preferred method of carrying, which is holster-less ("Mexican style" or just "Mexican" carry), strong side cross draw behind my hip (I wear an over-garment for concealment). The 5" barrel on the 1911 lays right along the side of my butt cheek, like it belongs there, and I can bend down to reach for things with far more confidence that I won't print. But drawing is less than optimal.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I may have to change my preferred method of carrying, which is holster-less ("Mexican style" or just "Mexican" carry), strong side cross draw behind my hip (I wear an over-garment for concealment). The 5" barrel on the 1911 lays right along the side of my butt cheek, like it belongs there, and I can bend down to reach for things with far more confidence that I won't print. But drawing is less than optimal.

One solution that is not cheap, but hey-how much is your life work, get a different vehicle. The SUV was always for me. But after 9/11 they became a way of life. Suburban's were the norm, and still are. But it can be a Tahoe or Yukon in daily use. They are the same, as you probably know aside from length. They have a deep console. Instead of filling it with junk, you can mount a kydex holster in it. It is not as fast as leaving it out, but it sure beats trying to draw from a holster with your seat belt on. This of course depends on the state you live in. Defending yourself in California, Illinois, DC...is a crime. Doing so in Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri...is not.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Right. She did not have it in her to just run him over, and it cost her. How much is your life worth?

That is the problem, she did not have it in her, so, she had no business being there alone. The short stop is one way when you basically trust the area, yet one should always be willing to drive right through when hoods get our of their car and come at you. In a dangerous area, it would be better to speed up and go around, just like one might do to avoid a bad accident.

In bad areas, which these day, being old, I avoid, in past times I have always relied on my S&W magnum

Problem is, those who need to read this do not.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
In bad areas, which these day, being old, I avoid
I must be old then, because I do too. :)

I try to never have to go anywhere where I feel like I might need a gun. At church, with family and friends, and at the library are OK.